Casual 30K Hobby Challenge - Month 4 - December

Kor'Vesh

Quick update! Nearly finished my Sicaran, just working on the hazard stripes and some markings. Looking to try some weathering on it as well, have used some Typhus Corrosion but if anyone has any ideas, let me know!

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh567/Vidius22/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zps3b1d9065.jpg

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh567/Vidius22/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zps4cb9d6de.jpg

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh567/Vidius22/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zps687c2895.jpg

Work on my first Medusa, undercoated black and then silver! Ready for washes and detailing and then weathering!

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh567/Vidius22/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsace00609.jpg

Need to build my second Medusa, hopefully start that in the next couple of days and then get working on the crew.

Here's the five I painted this month:

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/Castiel25/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141207_135036_zpsdb915af3.jpg

And a group shot of the whole gang:

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/Castiel25/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141207_135124_zpse260830d.jpg

Just need to paint the Raven Guard Destroyer when he arrives and that'll be vow complete!

If I had a solid downward dagger available I'd have done that, alas my bits box didn't want to give one up. Nor did it give up the pistol holsters I wanted. I HATE MY LIFE.

December – Week one

Wow. Some serious progress for the first week on the hobby challenge guys. We have completed pledges, second pledges and progress from the majority of members, including myself…

… that’s right, I’ve been painting at last, and have now finished the base coats and washes on my last two pyroclasts and Praetor! Pictures will probably appear later today. Hopefully I can finally finish this vow!

Anyway, enough about me – let’s have a look at the teams:

The Traitors - followers of Horus - the heretics, followers of the warp (5 members)

Brother Vidus – The IVth legion astartes, Iron Warriors: A Sicaran and two medusas

Gizur – The XVIth legion astartes, Word Bearers: Land Raider Achilles

Chaplain Mortis – The XIIth Legion astartes, World Eaters: 3 man command squad

Raktra – The XIth Legion Astartes, Beserkers of Uran: Dorran Kldier – Special Character

Der_H – The IIIrd Legion Astartes, Emperor’s Children: 5 man melta support squad and a Contemptor

The Loyalists - beloved of the Emperor - the loyal sons (9 members)

StruManChu – The VIIth legion astartes, Imperial Fists: 10 Breachers and a Predator Executioner

Castiel – The XVIIIth legion astartes, Salamanders: 5 Breachers and a Raven Guard Destroyer

Kor’Vesh – The XVIIIth legion astartes, Salamanders: 2 Pyroclasts and a Praetor

Barabbas Sogolon – The VIIIth and IV legion astartes, Unification Era (loyalists): 2 marines

Reyner – The IVth Legion astartes, Loyalist Iron Warriors: Sicaran

Jaspcat – The XIIth Legion astartes, Loyalist World Eaters: Pledge 1: Chaplain. Pledge 2: 10 Assault Marines

LionOfJudah – The VIIth Legion astartes, Imperial Fists – Iron Fists: 10 Tactical Marines, a Fire Raptor and Moritat

Deathspectresgt7 – The VIIIth Legion Astartes, Loyalist Night Lords: 1 Marine

Jeremy1391 – The XIXth Legion Astartes, Raven Guard: Kaedes Nex and a 10 man Veteran tactical squad

So it is five Vs nine – A strong loyalist reaction to last month’s defeat. Still plenty of time for more traitors to join the cause though. But how do things look in terms of model’s pledged…

Pledged Score

Traitors 39 points Vs 73 points of Loyalists

So the loyalists have pledged strongly, though note a big bias towards infantry for their team too, with only 14 models pledged for the traitors and 58 for the Loyalists. Everything is in place for a loyalist score victory – providing they paint strongly.

I can’t believe that the followers of Horus will let such a bias stand!

Current scores

As I mentioned, it’s been a very strong showing for a first week, and we already have pledge completions. Jaspcat has completed his first pledge, but risked his score by pledging again. Fortunately his is not the only completion…

Pledges – Traitors 0 – Loyalists 1

Score – Traitors 5 – Loyalists 8

So a narrow lead for the loyalists at this stage thanks to a completed pledge from Barrabus Sogolon, and completed models from Castiel. Not to be left out though Der_H has already completed a five man melta squad for the Emperor’s Children, keeping things tight in the race for victory.

Progress

Some great progress in week 1. For the traitors Brother Vidus has continued from where he left off in November, having nearly completed his Sicaran and base coated his first Medusa. The fire power of the IVth is growing at an alarming rate! Der_H has completed a 5 man melta team of preening peacocks… I mean Emperor’s Children. These guys have a lovely rich purple tone, and some great basing. Great work Der_H, just a contemptor to go for his completed pledge. Furthermore, both Raktra and Chaplain Mortis have built some fantastically brutal models for their pledges. Team traitor are narrowly behind, but have done some great work.

The loyalists have also progressed strongly too. Jaspcat has lead the way, with a lovely XIIth chaplain and some brutal assault marines, I think four are nearly complete, and 6 are awaiting some new jump packs. Castiel has also embraced the challenge, completing his breachers for the XVIIIth – I promised I’d help him to a completion, and seeing his Salamanders has finally shamed me into lifting a brush! Half the work is done on my small pledge thanks to your motivation Castiel!

Barrabus Sogolon joined late, after failing to resist the lure of the challenge, and promptly completed two Unification Era marines for the VIIIth and IVth respectively. Some lovely poses on these guys who rock the traditional grey scheme of the legions. Jeremy1391 has also been working in greys, this time on the Raven Guard, having produced a fantastic near grey scale flesh-tone and armour for Kaedus Nex. Finally we’ve seen a fantastic loyalist Night Lord conversion from Deathspectresgt7.

So lots of progress so far, plenty of pledges nearing completion, and a couple of sleeping giants in Gizur and StruManChu with proven records of completion. The loyalists hold the advantage and have the greater capacity, but will they stay the course in the midst of all the festive cheer?

Keep watching, supporting, vowing and encouraging guys!

Kor’Vesh

Stru, you already have the second biggest loyalist pledge! Hopefully your warders will be up on Friday and good for a January pledge :)

My guys are coming along now, its pretty much the black highlights, metal highlights, fire and legion markings left to paint. I will finish Castiel, and reclaim my honour!

Ignore my last post, I actually finished building the bastard:

@Raktra - this is amazing! I actually feel like running away from the screen. Nice use of that head!

Dont worry traitors, my contemptor has some paint on it!!

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/henrycoll/EC/DreadWIP.jpg

And if we're lucky I might even be able to pledge the RT era Landspeeder IF I finish my dread (P.S. as my buddy knows all too well, i bought this contemptor at the last FW open day....god I've had a slow summer....)

@Castiel - ten points for a Lord of war. I figure people will put their best effort into painting a Primarch so they are worth 10 points despite being relatively small for that category. Damn it man, I have vulkan sitting waiting for paint too. If you start yours I'll have way less of an excuse for leaving him for another month!

@Scribe of Khorne - join whenever you want. It is meant to be casual. I just run the contest for added motivation. I'll happily pledge you up anytime. And I'm guessing you are traitor anyway so Raktra will resist punting you anywhere...

@der_H - I really want one of those early land speeders man, they are very cool models. I wish forge world would put out an updated version for the legion list. Even though you are on the wrong team, I hope we get to see it with some paint on soon!

No more progress on my guys tonight, but I'll take a WIP pic tomorrow to post. I'll probably have some more time to work on them on Friday now.

@Castiel - ten points for a Lord of war. I figure people will put their best effort into painting a Primarch so they are worth 10 points despite being relatively small for that category. Damn it man, I have vulkan sitting waiting for paint too. If you start yours I'll have way less of an excuse for leaving him for another month!

Hmm, I'll wait and see. I should really paint my tac squad and Firedrakes first, but Vulkan is tempting me

I love your Sallies Kor. They always blow me away, I think they're the reason I like Sallies now where as before I hated them. They made me look at them properly I think.

That and I love me a purple power sword. (Trying to work out if that sounds wrong or not...)

Archived