Hi

This is going to be a shared thread for all my wip's instead of spreading them out. At the moment I'm planning to paint a diy chapter from the vanilla codex. I have been toying with ALOT of different color schemes and been having a really hard time deciding on one that looks good and that I'm somewhat comfortable painting. The two latest test models have been painted white and a de-saturated blue as in the pic below

20150207 180938

I kind of liked the white one but I felt it was to hard keeping the white clean when adding details, washes and stuff and I couldn't really decide on an accent color to go with it.

The blue one (it's not as bright as the pic shows) was much more fun to paint, both shading and highlighting were easier than on the white but the one problem I'm seeing is if it's to close to the space wolves scheme. I will use white and silver as accents to try and differentiate it.

I will post a pic when oil washes, edge highlighting and details are done, and with a better camera to try to show the 'real' color of it

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Right, I'm at the point now when it's time to add some decals and markings to the stormraven.

I'm not quite set on what chapter it's going to be though. Since the army will be blue (blueish, it has some teal/grey in it) I could make them Ultramarines(I also have some smurf characters lying around). The other two options I'm contemplating are successors for IH or scars(I have a lot of tanks and tons of bikes to paint) and those two appeal more to me with their chapter tactics.

Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Here's the progress on my ETL vow for an Iron Hands successor

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20150503_143844_zpsiz5ey6d1.jpg

Models are primed, basecoated and a bit of weathering done. Left to do is all details and decide wether or not the color scheme would need another color or not

Pretty good stuff so far. White is a bugger to do, so top marks for taking that on. An accent colour may help but be careful which one you pick, as it'd be all too easy for your guys to be mistaken for White Scars... ;)

Some progress pics on the Thunderfire Cannon techmarine and the two vindicators that are almost done, only a few details left to do.

I apologize for the bad photo's. They're taken with my phone. One of my next projects will be a proper lightbox to try and get better pictures.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20150507_025750_resized_zpsl89onwd2.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20150506_140600_resized_zpscb2g0svi.jpg

Edit: I'm still debating about adding a second color to the scheme. I have tried a few different variants on the drop pod but I still haven't found what I'm looking for

No real updates on the vow sadly. Only time for the hobby last couple of days was spent building this guy

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20150509_150239_resized_zpslmfdl16j.jpg

Also started assembly on an Ironclad and a Landspeeder Storm for my next vow.

Btw, can I pledge a knight as a vow for the adeptus astartes?

These are superb Brother. You have nailed that white. Great weathering too.

Have you decided on chapter insignia?

To answer your question regarding vowing a knight for the Codex Faction.... You certainly can Brother, you certainly can!!!!

:-):-):-)

The stuff you've finished is really looking good.  Personally I don't think you need an accent color - White Scars don't have a monopoly on all white armour!  If you decided to go with one, I really liked the blue you did on the drop pod or reds always go good with white.  Something small you could do to break up the white is add hazard stripes in key spots.

Do you have plans to paint up the dozer blades on the vindicators?

The Yak: Thank you brother! These are a IH successor chapter but I haven't decided on an insignia yet. Good to know about the knight. I will add it to my third vow then

Overdrive: Thanks. They're nowhere near the quality of your stuff but one got to know ones limitations. I think I will keep the tanks all white and maybe add some accent to infantry. I've been toying with black or blue or even use the tauran scheme

Edit: don't think I will use the siege shield for playing but I might en up painting them at a later stage

Hahaha I love the way you say 'add' to your third vow as opposed to saying it will be your third vow. Like your style Brother.

Regarding insignia I saw a transfer on the Admech sheet that might be good for an iron hand successor. Its a black skull in a cog. Not sure what your freehand is like or whether you like using transfers or not but I think they might look cool on those white vehicles.

Update on 2nd vow. One day of painting and this is the result. Still a lot more work to be done

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/Mobile%20Uploads/20150517_152113_zpsuyifjzif.jpg

And a close up of the chapter master

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/Mobile%20Uploads/20150517_151753_zpsjumjjmma.jpg

You are really onto a winner here. Its like a reverse Iron Hand Scheme. White armour with bionics is going to look so good.

Great effects on that Iron Hand thunder hammer.

I am really interested in hearing what you have planned for this force. Have you any chapter names planned, any fluff? I love this part of the hobby .

Tiny update

The Yak: Tried my hands at freehanding but I have a hard time figuriing out a symbol. So I made the cog and then just a couple of dots.. Black with a red centre. It could symbolize metal/technology surrounding flesh but I feel the symbol is very plain

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20150518_021157_resized_zps5aad2zbb.jpg

Thoughts and ideas what symbol I could use? Regarding fluff or chapter name, I'm not very good at those things so if anyone wants to help out, be my guests :)

Thoughts and ideas what symbol I could use? Regarding fluff or chapter name, I'm not very good at those things so if anyone wants to help out, be my guests smile.png

Can you give us a run down of what information you want/know? For example, who they are descended from, how old the chapter is, what style of warfare they prefer... Anything like that. Any information will help towards us giving goos suggestions. :)

Archived