Yeah, so, that's part of my problem. I'm terrible at coming up with fluff. What I do know is this:

* They are an Iron Hands successor chapter

* I like the armoured aspect of the game so the force's style of warfare would be like an armoured vanguard type, putting their faith in the emperor and hard-hitting weaponry protected by sheets of ceramite and technology

* I like the high-tech/steampunk vibe of the admechs so they could be a possible addition to the force as allies

* I'm going to place an order at FW, to further add to the armoured feel of the force with some relic vehicles and MKIII infantry

What I need to figure out is:

* Chapter insignia. Probably something with i a cog

* Chapter name

* Everything else smile.png

Edit: Apart from what is shown so far in my ETL vow's, I have the following assembled, primed and awaiting a possible thrid vow:

Predator

Tac squad

another bike squad

an Imperial Knight

Okay. Iron Hands successor with a penchant for armoured warfare. 

How about:

Champions of Telstarax

Steel Nomads

Dragons of Karaashi

Knights of Thunder

Gorgon Brotherhood

Silver Sons

As for the insignia, maybe a hammer overlaying a cog wheel?

Your freehand cog is well executed. I like Oils' suggestion of putting a hammer in it. As for names here is a few ideas...

Forge Wardens

Iron Guard

Sons Unyielding

Steel Punishers

Wolves of Medusa

Relentless Sons

Iron Ghosts

Hmm this scheme on MKIII armour? Looking forward to seeing that! :-)

Weeks been busy so no time for painting.

@Olis, The Yak: I like the insignia idea with a cog and a hammer. Will try to freehand it and see how it looks like on a model, hopefully tomorrow. Nice ideas for chapter name, I like the Gorgon Brotherhood and Forge Wardens.

Any tips on what to order from FW? Units I like esthetically are : Sicaran, Fire raptor, Caestus, Typhoon, Spartan, Proteus, Contemptors and ofc the MKIII infantry. However I haven't decided if I should order now or wait and see if the nex codex comes out soon

If you are thinking of holding fire, then you should wait. Not only does this give you time to settle on what you want, it will also let you find the time to throw a couple more credits in the kitty. ;)

What is currently the game being played in your area? Is it mostly 40k? If so, I would advise getting things, at least to start with, that will easily play in either 30k or 40k. That means infantry, the Contemptor and the Spartan. They can easily substitute for regular units and it should be relatively easy to model such things so that they are compatible either way.

It's only 40k where I play. But I thought FW had rules to allow all their models in c:SM armies for 40k? We only play casually so no one objects to using FW models or super heavies

FW models are technically absolutely fine to use in 40k. That doesn't stop some people still getting funny about them. If your group is casual and cool with it, then by all means go with the rule of cool. :) 

Got a little time to pretty much finish the Landspeeder and do some more work on the bikers. Tried the idea with cog and hammer for the insignia

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20150523_000628_resized_zpsaiyu6p6u.jpg

Just a quick test. Will have to tidy it up.

Thoughts?

Yep, the insignia looks superb. I like the angle the hammer, masterstroke.

As for forgeworld suggestions its difficult to recommend things as there is an abundance of cool stuff. Its a personal choice really, I would say go fir things that you would enjoy modelling and painting.

Well the 2nd vow is now finished for the ETL. Will probably go back and do some minor work on them later.. still need to remove the glossy finish.

Anyways here's a pic of the bike squad and chapter master:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20150523_180955_resized_zpsf92xgoie.jpg

Next on the table are a land raider, predator, imperial knight and a 5man tac squad

Great work once more. The insignia looks good on multiple models. This force is really starting to get its own identity. What's your plan for the Knight? Ad mech, Imperial or Freeblade?

@the yak: well since I will probably be getting more knights, this first one will be a custom scheme. I already started base coating it in turquoise with silver trimmings. I will try to keep it simple without any heavy weathering. I don't want to ruin such a big and cool model. I do want to have a knight or two as admechs since I want the force to have close ties them.

Edit: already planning my 4th vow :) just placed an order for a second storm talon. And I just noticed the caestus assault ram was back in stock so i will probably be placing an order with FW tomorrow for one and adding some more goodies

Haven't had much time to paint so to try to satisfy my painting obsession I did something completely different. I got the urge to add some actual Iron Hands to my collection to be able to use all the awesome chapter specific goodies from forgeworld so I tried out some color schemes.

I'm having a really hard time getting black to look right though. As soon as I add a wash to it it looks really messy. I've been searching all over the web to try and find a good tutoral but at the moment I'm completely lost.

What I did instead was to base the model with gunmetal blue and wash with black and brown

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20150526_082626_resized_zpsgladobst.jpg

The finish had a nice luster to it and made highlighting much smoother compared to a black base.

I'm not sure if I like the result though, still want it to be black somehow.

Question though, would it be totally wrong to use my white marines as an actual Iron Hands force? Like, a clan that uses white armour but still incorporates the Iron Hand symbol?

I so want to use the FW etched brass and resin shoulder pads ohmy.png

I always like a good weathering layer on WIP models, but it really depends on what you're going for in your overall army.  I'd recommend to keep it consistent!

Finally got a few hours to do some work on the Knight. Added some minor battle damage to please Vel'Cona, started on details and the chainsword. I have all my oils, enamels and pigments at another location so that part will have to wait until saturday. Will also try and add some decals or freehanding.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20150603_190638_resized_zpselpfeeoh.jpg

Hopefully I will complete my vow this weekend... so I can start my next one!

Archived