Word Bearers of the 32nd Host - Projects by the Prophet

The Prophet

Trynna think of a Churchy vibe to base Plague Marines on. The only thing I can think of is the fat housewives you get at the church fete cake baking challenge, or the Vicar of Dibly

gallery_25850_1043_974.jpg

- "CAKE OR DEATH!!?"

gallery_25850_1043_2079.jpg

I always thought my Plague Marines were a bit too fat-bellied to be honest, but then I didn't realize until now that they all must have met Eddie Izzard.

gallery_25850_1043_35929.jpg

Ooh, that cake is lovely, I must have some more!

gallery_25850_1043_33437.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_13383.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_51165.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_27719.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_39242.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_13383.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_10063.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_64054.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_56504.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_27377.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_52119.jpg

I have a few of the older versions as well, but these are the only Plague Marines worthy of daylight I'm afraid.

Do you want to have some church cake, anyone?

Given that the PM show outward signs of worshiping Nurgle, how do you justify it in your WB army? The only cult units I ran were MoN oblits but that was mainly because T4 models that size plus their price tag and battlefield importance made it a necessity in my eyes. 

Theres a unit n the Word Bearers omnibus that are borderline zerkers, they lean a little close to pure dedication to Khorne, maybe these got a teenyweeny bit to close to Nurgle and he went 'oh I'll give you my blessing for the Lullz', thats the excuse I'm using for my Nurgle Word Bearers. 

Given that the PM show outward signs of worshiping Nurgle, how do you justify it in your WB army? The only cult units I ran were MoN oblits but that was mainly because T4 models that size plus their price tag and battlefield importance made it a necessity in my eyes. 

Some years ago when I was more active on the forum I wrote a long article debating why you should have no problem fielding units with any kind of specific mark in a Word Bearers force. I can't find it here anymore I'm afraid.

But shortly, much of the literature on the 17th Legion gives us "empirical evidence" of individuals or groups of the WB's that have given in to one God more than the others, but thats not my main point. We have to consider the fact that the "outward signs" is given, not taken.  Marks and boons comes from the gods themselves (in this fictive universe where gods actually exist) and is not something the worshipper can force upon himself.

Given the time and effort the WBs gives to all the gods of the pantheon, they have more invidivual time for God X or God Y than any other legion. They are also described as the legion most blessed of all nine with gifts and boons from the gods. Who then, we have to ask ourselves, gives them these boons and blessings?

It has to be either Nurgle or Khorne or Tzeentch or Slaanesh. There are no others capable of doing it. What effect or what outward sign would such a blessing take? That depends on which god of course.

For example, a coven of Word Bearers could have entered an Adeptus Biologicus purifier, made a ritual with human sacrifices to Father Nurgle to have his aid in poisoning the water supply of a hive city, causing death and disease for millions of people. Nurgle could then bless them for their actions with some wonderful sickness that could affect them in different ways. That's  one reasonable way of understanding how a god would give his mark upon a believer.

That the WB "worship the Pantheon as a whole" has caused a lot of misunderstanding I think, mostly because there's a low understanding on how worship in pantheons work and because the CSM Codex from 2002 had rules that did not correspond with how the WB were described in the background. It lacked in logic to say the least.

Hidden Content

Some years ago when I was more active on the forum I wrote a long article debating why you should have no problem fielding units with any kind of specific mark in a Word Bearers force. I can't find it here anymore I'm afraid.

But shortly, much of the literature on the 17th Legion gives us "empirical evidence" of individuals or groups of the WB's that have given in to one God more than the others, but thats not my main point. We have to consider the fact that the "outward signs" is given, not taken.  Marks and boons comes from the gods themselves (in this fictive universe where gods actually exist) and is not something the worshipper can force upon himself.

Given the time and effort the WBs gives to all the gods of the pantheon, they have more invidivual time for God X or God Y than any other legion. They are also described as the legion most blessed of all nine with gifts and boons from the gods. Who then, we have to ask ourselves, gives them these boons and blessings?

It has to be either Nurgle or Khorne or Tzeentch or Slaanesh. There are no others capable of doing it. What effect or what outward sign would such a blessing take? That depends on which god of course.

For example, a coven of Word Bearers could have entered an Adeptus Biologicus purifier, made a ritual with human sacrifices to Father Nurgle to have his aid in poisoning the water supply of a hive city, causing death and disease for millions of people. Nurgle could then bless them for their actions with some wonderful sickness that could affect them in different ways. That's  one reasonable way of understanding how a god would give his mark upon a believer.

That the WB "worship the Pantheon as a whole" has caused a lot of misunderstanding I think, mostly because there's a low understanding on how worship in pantheons work and because the CSM Codex from 2002 had rules that did not correspond with how the WB were described in the background. It lacked in logic to say the least.

Amen to that, brother! I'va always been of the view that anything goes, as long as you can fluff it out. We shouldn´t limit our views about the 40k universe by a. our own world view, and b. the GW canon. If you can imagine it, it is possible!

I saw you ´liked´ my post, but really: if you want them, PM me. Or SlaveToDarkness will :)

Hidden Content

But shortly, much of the literature on the 17th Legion gives us "empirical evidence" of individuals or groups of the WB's that have given in to one God more than the others, but thats not my main point. We have to consider the fact that the "outward signs" is given, not taken. Marks and boons comes from the gods themselves (in this fictive universe where gods actually exist) and is not something the worshipper can force upon himself.

For example, a coven of Word Bearers could have entered an Adeptus Biologicus purifier, made a ritual with human sacrifices to Father Nurgle to have his aid in poisoning the water supply of a hive city, causing death and disease for millions of people. Nurgle could then bless them for their actions with some wonderful sickness that could affect them in different ways. That's one reasonable way of understanding how a god would give his mark upon a believer.

Amen to that, brother! I'va always been of the view that anything goes, as long as you can fluff it out. We shouldn´t limit our views about the 40k universe by a. our own world view, and b. the GW canon. If you can imagine it, it is possible!

I saw you ´liked´ my post, but really: if you want them, PM me. Or SlaveToDarkness will smile.png

I wouldn't really say 'anything goes', as I can actually imagine Doombreed ice skating on two discs of Tzeentch down the himalayan peaks on Terra while having a beer with Ghazghkull and Malcador, but I don't think there is a reason to restrict yourself if there is no good reason to do it. Though if someone plays Word Bearers and don't want to have marks in his or her list, that's fine with me. There is just no reason not to either (in this case) as I see it.

I have sent you a PM. smile.png

Gotcha. I know the WB will worship one god on this day and another on the other but I never really considered it beyond that. I've always viewed it as no physical manifestations on the marine's person. That said, the variety of a god's gift could fit either view. Some may just become physically tougher on a molecular level without any outward signs of change while others become crazy looking crab men. Same of Tzeentch and that fantastic guy Slaanesh. Khorne covens seem to be inevitable. Khalaxis and his boys are proof of that.

I've often debated using marked units. I generally frown on it despite giving up a fundamental aspect of CSM. 

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I saw you ´liked´ my post, but really: if you want them, PM me. Or SlaveToDarkness will :)

I wouldn't really say 'anything goes', as I can actually imagine Doombreed ice skating on two discs of Tzeentch down the himalayan peaks on Terra while having a beer with Ghazghkull and Malcador, but I don't think there is a reason to restrict yourself if there is no good reason to do it. Though if someone plays Word Bearers and don't want to have marks in his or her list, that's fine with me. There is just no reason not to either (in this case) as I see it.

I have sent you a PM. :)

haha sure. But we both know that's not really what I meant. Basically if you can think of a fluffy rationale for your models, campaign, playstyle, or army lists, it could go. I'll rpely to your PM ;)

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

But shortly, much of the literature on the 17th Legion gives us "empirical evidence" of individuals or groups of the WB's that have given in to one God more than the others, but thats not my main point. We have to consider the fact that the "outward signs" is given, not taken. Marks and boons comes from the gods themselves (in this fictive universe where gods actually exist) and is not something the worshipper can force upon himself.

For example, a coven of Word Bearers could have entered an Adeptus Biologicus purifier, made a ritual with human sacrifices to Father Nurgle to have his aid in poisoning the water supply of a hive city, causing death and disease for millions of people. Nurgle could then bless them for their actions with some wonderful sickness that could affect them in different ways. That's one reasonable way of understanding how a god would give his mark upon a believer.

I saw you ´liked´ my post, but really: if you want them, PM me. Or SlaveToDarkness will smile.png

I have sent you a PM. smile.png

haha sure. But we both know that's not really what I meant. Basically if you can think of a fluffy rationale for your models, campaign, playstyle, or army lists, it could go. I'll rpely to your PM msn-wink.gif

I know, but it would be quite the hobby challenge to make that vision come true, wouldn't it?! msn-wink.gif

That is seriously the first Mutilator I've ever seen where my first thought is "cool!". I *love* the Soul grinder claw conversion. Never seen it used like that before. Excellent job.

Hidden Content
http://41.media.tumblr.com/1dbb25be84b7449893304462a8bd5158/tumblr_n65t1coAFe1sj3oxho1_400.jpg

Wow, you make the filthy traitors look so pretty. I especially like the subtle rot and corrosion on the plague marines with most of the armour still having a proper red paintjob.

The tracked cathedral is 40K in a nutshell.

The dread is incredible as well. Are those deff dread claws?

That looks sweet thumbsup.gif you painted it yet?

I'm at the end now actually. I hope to have it ready tomorrow or at the middle of next week!

Wow, you make the filthy traitors look so pretty. I especially like the subtle rot and corrosion on the plague marines with most of the armour still having a proper red paintjob.

The tracked cathedral is 40K in a nutshell.

The dread is incredible as well. Are those deff dread claws?

Thanks! The claws is from an old Inquisitor model, but I can't remember his name. Maybe someone else remembers this!?

Mutilator done!

gallery_25850_1043_28446.jpg

With a new rebreather helmet, the shoulder pads sawed off and swapped and with the addition of the always so popular spiky bits, he is a mute mutilator painted and ready for the Long War!

gallery_25850_1043_50054.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_17188.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_35594.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_42241.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_52609.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_27516.jpg

gallery_25850_1043_130.jpg

With the magnetization at the top, he can easily get dressed with icons for any occation. Which one do you like the most?

KHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORNE! 

Dude, fricking awesome. A shame the unit in itself is about the most useless in the entire game - but I'm guessing you're more into the hobby. Other than that, he's turned out even cooler than I hoped. And with the magnetization, you're made a very nifty addition to an already particularly awesome build. :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

Straight up the best mutilator I've seen. Hands down.

I love your work and I love this thread. Long may it continue.

KHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORNE!

Dude, fricking awesome. A shame the unit in itself is about the most useless in the entire game - but I'm guessing you're more into the hobby. Other than that, he's turned out even cooler than I hoped. And with the magnetization, you're made a very nifty addition to an already particularly awesome build. thumbsup.gif

Thanks guys! It's really helps the motivation! I know it's close to useless in gaming, but hey, isn't it always the worst units that becomes the best ones when the new codex comes?! msn-wink.gif Anyway, I am somewhat of a completionist so I want one of each unit anyway.

Tomorrow I'll hopefully be able to post my current build - a very well known Word Bearer...

Archived