Forewarned is forearmed - the ETL is a coming.

SW1

Hmmm ... Just going back on what I managed to do with previous ETL's. I will not manage to get anywhere near the 5,796 points of wolves I completed in ETL II. I can't even imagine how many models that would entail when doing guard.

About 11 models by my count, depending on what upgrades you give them.

http://warhammer40kbookreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Baneblade-shooting.jpg

Hmmm ... Just going back on what I managed to do with previous ETL's. I will not manage to get anywhere near the 5,796 points of wolves I completed in ETL II. I can't even imagine how many models that would entail when doing guard.

About 11 models by my count, depending on what upgrades you give them.

http://warhammer40kbookreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Baneblade-shooting.jpg

If I only had the money for that!!!

Who needs personal goals! I want a 100% Guard completion rate! :lol:

Apart from that I don't have that much to paint so it'll be a case of whatever I can grab/find the time to paint :P

Hmmm ... I'm sure we can find something for you. Can't have an idle Commissar on our hands. ;)

So I have been looking at previous rules for the ETL, I have a few questions.

It says that models should be in very early stages of painting or less. Does that mean I can add a spray base coat after I prime?

Also, when it says you must choose codex legal units. Does that mean I have to pledge an entire platoon to satisfy the valid unit rule? Or does it mean I can just pledge 1 legal squad within a platoon? I ask this because if I run out of tanks, I would pledge all my HWT's I have lying around. Those trip lascannons can add up. The second interpretation would also allow people to really stretch the points out regarding infantry; people can make declare all command squads as company commands, and all infantry squad as vets. 

Quick answer:

1. Normally early stages means up to undercoat. There is some tolerance for someone caught unaware and he/she has the odd mini base coated but it should not be abused. In other words if you want to prepare for the ETL please stop at the undercoat level (since you are not caught by surprise)

2. Individual squads are legit entries. The rule of thumb here is that if there is a point value for the unit it's a valid entry for ETL purposes. The same for example applies for dedicated transports - you don't need to do the associated squad (unless you want to).

Hope the above help. :)

Edit: oh, and doing just normal squads and calling them vets just to play the system? Not cool. There is the expectation that people will play in the spirit of the ETL and paint what they actually need for their armies. Now obviously you don't need to have the actual minis of the Command squad to claim it is a Command squad but you need to do the extra effort so that they are readily recognized as such. So a veteran squad that started-off as an ordinary squad but was then converted or kit-bashed or just painted in a way to convey the message that they are vets - that's fine.

but painting five plain dudes and just claim Command Squad points? Not cool.

The Guard does things properly, not only is it how we do things but do to otherwise invites unwelcome attention from the commissariat ;) Leave the short cuts and cheap tricks to the weak! Not a great example though Semper, as you're comparing peanuts with slightly larger peanuts but the principle is correct :P

Edit: oh, and doing just normal squads and calling them vets just to play the system? Not cool. There is the expectation that people will play in the spirit of the ETL and paint what they actually need for their armies. Now obviously you don't need to have the actual minis of the Command squad to claim it is a Command squad but you need to do the extra effort so that they are readily recognized as such. So a veteran squad that started-off as an ordinary squad but was then converted or kit-bashed or just painted in a way to convey the message that they are vets - that's fine.

but painting five plain dudes and just claim Command Squad points? Not cool.

There's a simple, but only 80% accurate test for this. What do veteran squads have that infantry squads do not? Well...access to heavy flamers and up to three heavy/special weapons. A squad with two plasma guns can only be veterans. A squad with one heavy bolter and one grenade launcher? That's suspicious...not cheating, but suspicious. That said...my own veteran squads are composed of metal cadians from the 90s, almost none of them are converted, and they take the field with no weapons but an autocannon and sometimes a flamer. If I were painting them for ETL, I would be suspicious of myself laugh.png , but since the current codex came out, I've found no reason to field platoons, they actually do always deploy as vets.

I mostly field my standard Cadians as Guardsmen, and save Veteran status for my xenoheretical Gue'vesa conversions. tongue.png

/Edit/

Actually, on that note, how would "counts as" be seen. For example, I have a squad of 10 guys with Pathfinder torsos, a few extra bitz, and Rail Rifles representing Plasma Guns. A legal unit for the ETL? I'm assuming non-GW models are okay as well.

I mostly field my standard Cadians as Guardsmen, and save Veteran status for my xenoheretical Gue'vesa conversions. tongue.png

/Edit/

Actually, on that note, how would "counts as" be seen. For example, I have a squad of 10 guys with Pathfinder torsos, a few extra bitz, and Rail Rifles representing Plasma Guns. A legal unit for the ETL? I'm assuming non-GW models are okay as well.

The models should reasonably represent the unit they are counts-as and they MUST be costed and WYSIWYG from C:AM

Well, I was not planning to cheat the system by claiming an infantry squad of 1 grenade launcher and 1 auto cannon as a vet squad. Just if you have extra special weps, use em! I have enough flamers/ grenade launchers to make most of my squads count as vets. I also have enough meltas/ plasmas to get 3 commands ( 4 if I add my medics/ standards). I was not encouraging people to cheat the system. I was encouraging people to work within the system while still making their points go as far as they can. 

You lost me on the peanuts but as long as it makes sense to you IG people... tongue.png

I think what Warriorfish was saying is that Command Squads are cheap (6 points per model) and Infantry Squads are cheaper (5 points per model), so splitting Infantry Squads into Command Squads isn't really worth it (assuming you keep the load out the Infantry Squad had originally). Counting Infantry Squads as Scions would net a more significant points increase, but would be totally against the spirit of ETL and the game itself, so that might be a better example.

No one is accusing anyone of thinking about cheating or working to advantage to get a few extra points. After all, what would be the point of doing this knowing that...

1. The increase in points at the level of footsloggers would make very little impact on this forum in the overall BnCS rankings.

2. The peer pressure would be intense as every member of this forum would be able to work out what was going on.

3. Personal pride and honesty. I like to think that we all have a preset switch set to honest.

4. And if that does not sway you then just remember that the Commissariat will be standing behind you with loaded bolt pistols ready to summarily execute any offenders ;)

Well, I was not planning to cheat the system by claiming an infantry squad of 1 grenade launcher and 1 auto cannon as a vet squad. Just if you have extra special weps, use em! I have enough flamers/ grenade launchers to make most of my squads count as vets. I also have enough meltas/ plasmas to get 3 commands ( 4 if I add my medics/ standards). I was not encouraging people to cheat the system. I was encouraging people to work within the system while still making their points go as far as they can. 

I re-read my reply and I think I came across stronger than I intended. 

Obviously if you have a legal load-out then no one can claim your entry is "illegal" - and of course there is no cheating involved, nor implied. To make it absolutely clear, there is nothing wrong about optimising your squad for points as long as it is done within reason. And I see no problem with the above suggestion. 

Sorry if I sounded dismissive above - it was not my intention.

This Traitorous Soul of the VIII Legion has found amongst his plethora of dusty boxes enough loyalists to put together a full battle company, at least 3 venerable dreadnoughts, 30 robed veterans and about 50 terminators so it would seem that ETL is a possibilty this year... Also found my undercoated VIII Legionnaires and a stockpile of two boxes of the new raptors and two hellbrutes...

The Loyalists are going to be a first Legion successor and will be my first WIP just need to work out how to take decent photographs... Off to Tutorials and How To's I go...

I think you may be lost Corsovitt.

As much as we enjoy hearing about the exploits of the Astra Astartes, this is the forum for the God Emperors Imperial Guard.

You should be on the Dark Angels forum as they are the place to be for the First Legion and their successors.

I will be starting to assemble and magnetise my second Baneblade this week as ETL-prep.

Anybody else got a blade planned?

Just ensuring all I have remaining is primed/stripped ready for the event though depending on a few things in real life my commitment may be sporadic and limited.

Damn changing jobs and relocating!

I will be starting to assemble and magnetise my second Baneblade this week as ETL-prep.

Anybody else got a blade planned?

My Stormlord is the only super heavy I'll be working on this year. Hopefully will have it fully stripped in the next 2 days. :D

Alas no. Abhumans this ETL for me.

Ogryns or ratlings? ;)

Archived