Khorne Daemonkin - Discussion, Tactics, Background

Tenebris

Ok then. I'm notoriously bad at explaining things so it's not surprising

smile.png

Isn't it part of a Blood Host Detachment though, doesn't that get Objective secured?

No, it doesn't. It gets an extra Blood Tithe point even turn instead (I think, might be confusing the benefits, but it definitely doesn't get objective secured).

They've made it overly complicated nowadays, formations, detachments, combined arms detachments, battle forged, unbounded, just a headache. Atm my force has everything from the slaughtercult apart from the possessed, but I can make some of them. Do you think it's worth it using the Blood Host? I'm going to have a 1.6k game this weekend against two opponents and I'm not sure whether to use it or not or just make a normal list.

I haven't played yet but the general concensus is that the +1 BT point a turn is handy (although it depends on the tax).  Remember that to use the Blood Host detachment you need to have 1 Slaughtercult and 1 Auxiliary formation (Warmachine one is probably the easiest)

I'd say use the Blood Host. That automatic point comes in really goddamn useful pretty much every turn, even if it's just because you have to kill one less unit to do something next turn.

Dragonlover

They've made it overly complicated nowadays, formations, detachments, combined arms detachments, battle forged, unbounded, just a headache. Atm my force has everything from the slaughtercult apart from the possessed, but I can make some of them. Do you think it's worth it using the Blood Host? I'm going to have a 1.6k game this weekend against two opponents and I'm not sure whether to use it or not or just make a normal list.

It's no more complicated than the 5 alternate Force Org Charts and 19(?) Rites of War from Forgeworld. And this is literally no different from that.

First, do you want to use a Force Org Chart for your entire army? If yes, Battle-Forged. If not, Unbound. If you pick Unbound, great. You're done. Just make sure you don't go over the points cap.

If you go Battle-Forged, do you want to use a normal Force Org Chart? That's a CAD. It can be your primary or allied army, and because it is made using the normal chart, ot has Onjective Secured.

Do you want to use a formation? Great, because they're basically pre-made armies. As long as you have the minis, you're good to go.

And now, we have Formation Force Org Charts. You take the required Core formation(pre-made army) and then whatever auxillary and command formations you want.

Now, Formations and FFOs will have their own unique rules. For example, the Blood Host gives you an extra BT point. The Gorepack has preferred enemy(psyker). And so on. This similar to the CAD, which instead of a Fear modifier or re-rolling your Warlord trait, it gives you Objective Secured.

Yeah, the only time it's really a problem is if you do what I did the other day, and switch from Battleforged to Blood Host without checking that the rest of your army actually fits one of the extra Formations. Still, I won't be making that mistake again.

If I may talk fluff for a second: who's your favourite of the presented warbands? Mine is The Harvest. The whole 'kill the defenders and man the walls' thing is bloody genius, and I wish I'd thought of it.

Dragonlover

I like the Harvest too, they'd seem to make the most sense to go along with my Iron Warriors. However, I am not a fan of the colour scheme, so I'll probably make my own background up and warband :)

I wonder if we will get FW stuff from IA: 13? Maybe a list of the things we can have with the added Blood for the Blood God/ MoK/ Daemon of Khorne/ Skulls for the Skull Throne special rules where necessary. A Brass Scorpion and Blood Slaughters would look ace with the army (and fluffy!). Also having the drop pods would give some much needed mobility to the infantry. 

If I take the Blood Host, can I still add independents units not in the Blood Host? For example I take the Slaughtercult and the Command with War Engine Auxiliaries, but I also want a single unit of bikers and a herald, which isn't enough for one of the other auxiliary needs.

My favourite atm is the Brazen Beasts as I love War Engines.

If I take the Blood Host, can I still add independents units not in the Blood Host? For example I take the Slaughtercult and the Command with War Engine Auxiliaries, but I also want a single unit of bikers and a herald, which isn't enough for one of the other auxiliary needs.

My favourite atm is the Brazen Beasts as I love War Engines.

You'd need to make up at least an Allied Detachment to add it and remaim Battleforged.

Hmm ok, looks like I'll need to alter my original list quite a bit, perhaps split the cultists in half and use one of them for extra troop for the allied detachment.

Edit: Can I ally in daemonkin? So for example add a HQ, a Troop Choice what ever else for an allied detachment?

All units chosen [for Allied Detachment] must have a different Faction to any of the units in your Primary Detachment (or no Faction)

So if you run a Blood Host detachment as your primary you can't ally in with another Daemonkin detachment. Note that Khorne Daemonkin is it's own faction so it can ally with CSM and Daemons.

All units chosen [for Allied Detachment] must have a different Faction to any of the units in your Primary Detachment (or no Faction)

So if you run a Blood Host detachment as your primary you can't ally in with another Daemonkin detachment. Note that Khorne Daemonkin is it's own faction so it can ally with CSM and Daemons.

Would this list work then within the parameters? 

The Brazen Beasts

1600pts

Slaughtercult
Khorne Daemon Prince - Wings / The Blood-Forged Armour - 250

Khorne Berzerkers (8) - Pair of Lightning Claws - 192
Rhino - 35

Khorne Marines (8) - CCWs / Power Maul / Combi Melta  - 171
Rhino - 35

Khorne Possessed (5) - 150

Khorne Forgefiend - 180
Khorne Maulerfiend - Lasher tendrils - 140
Khorne Hellbrute - Twin-linked Lascannon - 125

Allies
Chaos Lord - Mark of Khorne / Power Sword / Sigil of Corruption - 115
Cultists (25) - 110
Khorne Bikers (3) - 2 meltaguns - 96

Total - 1599

Would this list work then within the parameters? 

The Brazen Beasts

1600pts

Slaughtercult
Khorne Daemon Prince - Wings / The Blood-Forged Armour - 250

Khorne Bezerkers (8) - Pair of Lightning Claws - 192
Rhino - 35

Khorne Marines (8) - CCWs / Power Maul / Combi Melta  - 171
Rhino - 35

Khorne Possessed (5) - 150

Khorne Forgefiend - 180
Khorne Maulerfiend - Lasher tendrils - 140
Khorne Hellbrute - Twin-linked Lascannon - 125

Allies
Chaos Lord - Mark of Khorne / Power Sword / Sigil of Corruption - 115
Cultists (25) - 110
Khorne Bikers (3) - 2 meltaguns - 96

Total - 1599

*Berzerker, and yeah that list should be totally legit.

If I may talk fluff for a second: who's your favourite of the presented warbands? Mine is The Harvest. The whole 'kill the defenders and man the walls' thing is bloody genius, and I wish I'd thought of it.

Dragonlover

I think I'm going to go with the Eightscarred. I like their color scheme and their background has a decent push off but remains mostly unexplored, allowing for multiple personal interpretations to exist within it without hving to follow a specific archetype or play style.

It's no more complicated than the 5 alternate Force Org Charts and 19(?) Rites of War from Forgeworld. And this is literally no different from that.

First, do you want to use a Force Org Chart for your entire army? If yes, Battle-Forged. If not, Unbound. If you pick Unbound, great. You're done. Just make sure you don't go over the points cap.

If you go Battle-Forged, do you want to use a normal Force Org Chart? That's a CAD. It can be your primary or allied army, and because it is made using the normal chart, ot has Onjective Secured.

Do you want to use a formation? Great, because they're basically pre-made armies. As long as you have the minis, you're good to go.

And now, we have Formation Force Org Charts. You take the required Core formation(pre-made army) and then whatever auxillary and command formations you want.

Now, Formations and FFOs will have their own unique rules. For example, the Blood Host gives you an extra BT point. The Gorepack has preferred enemy(psyker). And so on. This similar to the CAD, which instead of a Fear modifier or re-rolling your Warlord trait, it gives you Objective Secured.

So do they have obsec or not?

A formation cannot count as more than one thing unless otherwise stated (Blood Host as a Collection of Formations)

A Combined Arms Detachment, has no such grouping, and along with the Allied Detachment is the only normal way to get ObSec.

A Blood Host, or the Formations contained within, does not get ObSec.

The background section let me quite down.

Aside from unit descriptions (that hardly add something new to the fluff) it's just a few pages with small paragraphs about a few warbands  and "they only want to kill stuff and everything comes in groups of eight" repeated over and over.

I expected something more, at least on Armageddon, or new intersting battles.

Nor the timeline nor the warbands have proper depth or detail, they felt quite rushed to me.

More like a superficial brainstorming than a finished product.

Not to mention the damnatio memoriae towards the World Eaters... I know this is not their codex, but... in the timeline they talk about the heresy and "some space marines fell to Khorne" - really? A whole Legion dedicated itself to the Blood God it's not even worth a mention?

I don't know, overall I feel like it does not add much -if anything at all- fluffwise.

I feel the concept of the Scriptures of Slaughter, the Cohorts, the worship of Bloodthirsters, and the variations on a theme are enough, because if you break it down, 'they want to kill stuff' has been the case since the Scouring for Khorne based armies.

I feel the concept of the Scriptures of Slaughter, the Cohorts, the worship of Bloodthirsters, and the variations on a theme are enough, because if you break it down, 'they want to kill stuff' has been the case since the Scouring for Khorne based armies.

Yes, but all of those things are explained in a few pages, with a handful of lines for each. 

I'd have liked some more depth.

Yeah, fair point. I mentioned it early in this thread I think, I expect very little these days, and an interesting mechanic that rewards the kind of play I like to see (everyone dies) has got the blood flowing a bit. :]

Eh, depth seems like a double-edged sword at this point. They went full hardcore beastmode on the Crimson Slaughter and still the majority reaction is "They're dumb. This is a Word Bearers Codex."

So yeah. I'd personally prefer a little here and there with enough fluff that people can build upon, whose quality no one really complains about, other than a lack of the XII Legion. Because the alternative is going full on ham on a biscuit and getting "I want World Eaters." Which would righteously tick me off if I was one of the writers and that was the reaction.

the majority reaction is "They're dumb. This is a Word Bearers Codex."

Those same people have not read up enough on either if they are attempting to generalize the two together.

Believe me, we both share the same opinion on that. And yet, that opinion still exists.

Archived