Khorne Daemonkin - Discussion, Tactics, Background

Tenebris

Could also shoot stuff with the Skull Cannon to help with that, but that's a lot of support for an already expensive unit.

Summon one? It's only a measly 6 Blood Tithe points... I see what you mean, but I thought most army's units needed to support each other in some fashion?

I don't know, if you do it right, you can get at least 4 BT points in one turn. One for the Blood Host, one for an Unsaved Wound by the sword, one for slaying a champion in a duel and one for wiping out an unit. And if somewhere else there's another champion and another unit, boom, six in one turn.

Could also shoot stuff with the Skull Cannon to help with that, but that's a lot of support for an already expensive unit.

Summon one? It's only a measly 6 Blood Tithe points... I see what you mean, but I thought most army's units needed to support each other in some fashion?

Granted, the skull cannon is good support for the rest of the daemons too, so not really just for the warp talons.

Of course, you're right. It would definitely help out all of the daemons in the army.

I don't really plan on using the Slaughtercult, so if I rack up points I'll either be using them for FNP or Skull Cannons.

That's a bummer. But if you do go slaughtercult + unbound flesh hound units do you still get the benefit from the slaughtercult +1 blood tithe point and +1 blood tithe ability?

The Slaughtercult is a formation, so you will get its rules in an Unbound army.

The Blood Host is a detachment, so you only get its command benefits in a battle forged army.

This means that in an Unbound army, you will only get the free blood tithe ability since it's a formation special rule. You will not get the free blood tithe point since it's a detachment command benefit.

Yeah, but will a skull cannon shot ever be worth giving up +1 attack or FNP on your entire army? IMO, no, never. Maybe field a skullcannon, but IMO it's never worth summoning. Not because it's bad, or even that summoning doesn't work well (for shooting units it's fine), but because its points cost is a far lower price to pay than giving up a game turn of army buffs.

Also, don't deep strike warp talons. They're a pure melee units, and expensive, and fragile, and the blind is a vanishingly minor effect. It's not worth the price of exposing them for a turn.

Do we think Forgeworld will errata some stuff from IA13 that will allow it to be taken in a daemonkin army? The Bloodslaughterer for instance, it's a daemon of khorne after all. Or the chaos spartan, a surefire way of getting those berzerkers into assault.

Yeah, but with the banner of blood, you could have a group of Bloodletters tie a unit in melee, deep strike the Talons right on top, and then wipe it all out your next turn. If it isn't already.

Exactly. If it isn't already. What are your talons going to wipe out that a successful bloodletter charge isn't already going to handle? Also, other units can still shoot the talons. They're too tall to hide behind regular melees, so they're still basically butt in the wind to any enemy unit that isn't already engaged.

I am in agreement that the buffs are better than the summoning. My possessed will just be lumped into a Rhino and drove upfield. If they are lucky, turn 3 charge, if not then they are 175 couple of Blood Points.

Got to admit, thinking of buying Gal Vorbak so they at least 'feel' less of a tax in the fact that I will enjoy painting them an they will look cool on the table.

Do we think Forgeworld will errata some stuff from IA13 that will allow it to be taken in a daemonkin army? The Bloodslaughterer for instance, it's a daemon of khorne after all. Or the chaos spartan, a surefire way of getting those berzerkers into assault.

I'm hoping we'll see some of the FW stuff errata'd in. Spartan, Dread Claw, and the special characters are at the top of my own wish list. In the mean time, allied detachments from CSM or CD aren't too pricey. Lack of BftBG hurts, though.

I sent an e-mail to Forge World the day the codex dropped, but they haven't answered yet. Let's imagine they're feverishly marking up the point values on everything so we can have them. msn-wink.gif

The Brass Scorpion and Blood Slaughterer seem like the obvious choices, along with Decimators, Dreadclaws, Spined Chaos Beasts, and Giant Spawn.

Then, I could see them giving us Spartans, and maaaaaybe Infernal tank variants, possibly the Hell Blade/Hell Talon and Kharybdis.

*not holding breath*

Aaaaaaanyway I wouldn't want to lose the dirge caster on the Spartan! As it will be the only one in the army now sad.png but at least it has five hullpoints smile.png

I just hate the idea of it blowing up on turn 1 from a lucky railgun or lascannon shot.

I really love this book and a Khornate army is deffo on the cards after some other stuff is complete.

I think they REALLY missed out on an opportunity though by not letting 40k use the new End Times Khorne stuff or even worse, no way to have a squad of Berzerkers on Juggernaughts :( hat would've truly been awesome.

no axe of khorne on a herald? :( well then I will probably switch it for the sword of unending bloodshed then.

Personally i like the slaughtercult even with the possessed 'tax' and the gorepack but i don't like the other formations to be honest, mostly stuff i don't use. and with regards to the above comments, warp talons seem to be much better now but still feel they are too pricey for what they do. 

Also in my larger force im considering as one of my hqs (the other will be a mounted chaos lord) upgrading the herald to being on a bloodthrone to buff flesh hounds. how good is a blood throne? and also how good is the soulgrinder? easy way to get skyfire i noticed :)

The Herald can only take weapons from the Artefacts of Slaughter. The Axe of Khorne is a melee weapon. So while every squad champion and Chaos Lord now has access to an AP2, Decapitating Blow, strike at Initiative Axe, the Herald loses out.

The Herald can only take weapons from the Artefacts of Slaughter. The Axe of Khorne is a melee weapon. So while every squad champion and Chaos Lord now has access to an AP2, Decapitating Blow, strike at Initiative Axe, the Herald loses out.

weird, will hopefully get errated. maybe.

Archived