Skitarii Colourschemes!

Charlo

This is my Mars Scheme influenced by the Vanguard model which I decided to make into the theme of my entire force.  Every unit is piloted by a Vanguard and the Imperial Knight itself has been converted to look like a giant Vanguard helmet as well.

As to the paint scheme itself, I have leaned more on the brushed steel/brass and maintained the wiring coloring from the Vanguard units.  I've also incorporated the blue coils from their rifles into all of the models where it is appropriate, mixing in wooden stocks and encasements when I can.

For the Brushed Steel, I base with Warlock Bronze and then dry brush on Leadbelcher or start with Leadbelcher - it depends on the unit itself really.  I then wash it with Nuln Oil and dry brush Leadbelcher/Runefang Steel to create the brushed look.

The Brass is based with Warlock Bronze with a dry brush layer of Brass Scorpion applied liberally and then a lightly applied dry brush of Balthasar Gold.

The Red of the scheme is based with Khorne Red and then a dry brush of Mephiston Red, Evil Sunz Scarlet, and Wild Rider Red.  All working from the center of the object and out in decreasing circumference to add a glow to the center of the panel.

All of the wiring is based on a simple base of Caledor Sky and then a dry brush of Baharroth Blue.  For the standard units that's where it stops but for the vehicles, I alternate a light Guilliman Blue or Waywatcher Green glaze on the wiring.  This gives them a bright base but keeps the tint toward blue to keep things uniform.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to answer them!

For close up shots of things you can see them in my Hall of Honour thread.

http://i.imgur.com/CZyNpMG.png

Very good looking force, Audemus! They look like they all go together or something tongue.png.

The conversion on the Sallet faceplate looks really nice. I had to do a double-take on it.

Thanks! I've got a second Knight to build and I might just make another Crusader since it fits the Skitarii's shooty nature and will be well suited at providing cover fire for the Vanguard units as they advance.

Wow, awesome collection! I wonder what's next on the list? biggrin.png

Next on the list is a third Ballistarii and an Icarus Array Dunecrawler (Soon to be a x3 Icarus unit). The three Icarus units combined with the Icarus guns mounted on the top of the Crusader should be able to make most aerial units feel like they got a bit close to the sun right before finding themselves in the middle of a hail of irradiated lead.

The long range goal is to use the Ironstrider Cavalier formation with the Vanguard infantry and Dunecrawlers keeping the opposing team in check while Lancers advance in front of the Ballistarii twin linked lascannons and the second Dragoon squad using Radium Jezails. Mind-link will allow them to fire through the Lancers and cripple/soften the impact point of the lancers, while the Dunecrawlers unleash ranged bombardments. I would then substitute the Knight in at that point if the enemy force was looking particularly nasty.

I'm also dabbling with a secondary Adeptus Mechinicus: Cult army, as I just snagged the limited book, and have one box of Kastellan robots and 6 Kataphron's enroute. I'm not digging the Electro Priest model though and I can't think of a way to make either of those two units Vanguard based so they'll probably end up in a separate army with my Vanguard supporting them. biggrin.png

The three Icarus units combined with the Icarus guns mounted on the top of the Crusader should be able to make most aerial units feel like they got a bit close to the sun right before finding themselves in the middle of a hail of irradiated lead.

I see what you did there laugh.png! That actually made me laugh. Good job!

On your idea for a second Knight Crusader: Knight Paladin/Errant. You need something that can deliver long ranged pain and short ranged pain. I know the Knight Crusader can still whack the enemies with his gun arms but having a D Weapon might be what you need. You know your local scene better than me but I'm looking for synergy so that you can kill a lot of traitors/xenos scum with little effort for much reward.

The three Icarus units combined with the Icarus guns mounted on the top of the Crusader should be able to make most aerial units feel like they got a bit close to the sun right before finding themselves in the middle of a hail of irradiated lead.

I see what you did there laugh.png! That actually made me laugh. Good job!

On your idea for a second Knight Crusader: Knight Paladin/Errant. You need something that can deliver long ranged pain and short ranged pain. I know the Knight Crusader can still whack the enemies with his gun arms but having a D Weapon might be what you need. You know your local scene better than me but I'm looking for synergy so that you can kill a lot of traitors/xenos scum with little effort for much reward.

Honestly, you would know better than I would as I'm just theory crafting right now. I haven't played since 2nd edition and have been trying to get a painted army together just so I can play again, so none of my units have ever been put on the board. I keep meaning to read the new core rulebook to catch up but there been so much painting to be done that I haven't gotten around to it. I'll take a look at the paladin/errant models in the codex though, I originally had intended to fit the tank buster thermal cannon on the second one since it has a range of 18" for close encounters but I may need more focus in that regard. Thanks for the tip!

could we get some close ups Audemus?

Love the look from afar though, especially the knight.

Yeah, I do have close ups in the linked post above the picture with the Knight being on page 2 but I can look into getting better quality pictures done for this thread since I just got the photo tent that allows them. The Knight is already done in the photo tent so you can check it out in my Hall of Honour sub-forum post (unless the mods don't mind me re-posting the images over here). For the other vehicles, I'll work on it today and hopefully be able to put them up later this afternoon.

Edit:

Below are the new close ups I took, I blurred the background thanks to my cats deciding the Photo Tent was in fact their tent and getting fur on the matte black background. furious.gif

The Knight can be found in my Hall of Honour subforum thread, as well as individual shots of the Vanguard troops.

http://i.imgur.com/mDfuyhv.png

http://i.imgur.com/5bY5Fsp.png

http://i.imgur.com/Pw1gN3j.png

http://i.imgur.com/us80dF2.png

Definitely holds up close-in Audemus! I wish I could get my highlights that clean and crisp!

Great army Munocat! Do you have any vows in for ETL? We need all the points we can get. cool.png

Definitely holds up close-in Audemus! I wish I could get my highlights that clean and crisp!

Great army Munocat! Do you have any vows in for ETL? We need all the points we can get. B)

I have not looked into the ETL, took me a while to figure out how to post pictures.

I will post some more pictures soon, of my Knights.

@Munocat... how do you set up your squads there...i see 3x Transauranic & 2x arc on the Rangers...and how does 3x Plasma Calivers go with the Van' ?...

Your army ,like Audemus's is very inspirational thumbsup.gif

Mithril

@Munocat... how do you set up your squads there...i see 3x Transauranic & 2x arc on the Rangers...and how does 3x Plasma Calivers go with the Van' ?...

Your army ,like Audemus's is very inspirational :tu:

Mithril

Thank you, setup is

One unit rangers with 3 arquebus, this WL unit, sit back field objective holding, sniping based unit.

All other units are vanguard, the 2 arc, have another 8 being painted.

I am using the hoods heads for most of my army. I have put the vanguard metals for my iron heads space Marines ( iron hands).

In the end I will have 4 units vanguard, two plasma units one with 3, one with two plasmas. One with 3 arc unit. One vanilla unit.

Thank you, setup is

One unit rangers with 3 arquebus, this WL unit, sit back field objective holding, sniping based unit.

I am using the hoods heads for most of my army. I have put the vanguard metals for my iron heads space Marines ( iron hands).

In the end I will have 4 units vanguard, two plasma units one with 3, one with two plasmas. One with 3 arc unit. One vanilla unit.

Cool!, How does 3x Transauranic work for you?,that is one expensive unit!!.By the way,you should vow the 8x Ranger unit in the ETL IV forum...another cog in the machine is always helpful msn-wink.gif

Mithril

Thank you, setup is

Cool!, How does 3x Transauranic work for you?,that is one expensive unit!!.By the way,you should vow the 8x Ranger unit in the ETL IV forum...another cog in the machine is always helpful ;)

Mithril

I can tell, you that the three arquebuses work well, the whole unit is very combat effective, in turn 1 and 2 I try to take out low AV vehicle targets, else I use them on mc. Having my WL in this group, and the long range reach, draws my opponents to target them. I try to position them in the back field, on an objective. I want them to be targeted. This is how I set the trap. My opponent fall for it. I keep other unit at a distance, making them look easy. My vanilla vanguard is kept in reserve. I try to keep a unit of inflitrators near, using the extra speed they have to move. If a unit would like to deep strike near by, or a MC makes his move, they will be ambushed. The vanilla unit pumps out 30 hits, that do a lot of hits and then wounds on 6's.

The persition shots of the Rangers weapons, is very useful. In units the 30" range allow me to target special weapons, and being most are non characters really effects those units, reducing their combat effective, whether they are marines, guard, elder, dark elder,

Seeing alot of really nice pics I thought I'd share mine as well. I wanted something different than the more common ones even tho they do look nice. Since I other armies that are light/mid tone of colors I thought I'd give black (also I kinda suck at painting black so it's good practice right?) a try. I apologise for the bad quality of the pic, only have my crappy phone cam.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af101/pluppmupp/2015-05-25%2010.27.20.jpg

Excellent color choices, Derpaderp!  That basing adds a lot to the model, too.  Have you painted any other Skitarii units yet?

Thanks for your kind words! No nothing more yet due to lack of time and my lamp being broken, but I do have an onager dunecrawler and an imperial knight warden waiting to be painted up so maybe next week. 

This may be the wrong place to ask, as I am new to this forum, but this seemed like the best place. I need some help, how do you paint a taser lance? I'm stuck on wether I should make it glow blue or not, and also how to make it look good, my taser Lance is just a horrible looking metal pole right now. Any help would be much appreciated!

Well Decay, for my Taser Goads I use a blue glow (basecoat Caledor Sky, P3 Blue Ink, Layer Lothern Blue, then layer some form of White). It's actually super easy to do, and the "glow" effect really pops against darker colors (like the grey and crimson on my Skitarii's robes). You could do a green or yellow glow too if you get the right color combos, and I'm sure there are plenty of tips on how to make this happen.

Alternatively, you can take the easy route and try out some Citadel glaze, but I'm not familiar with that product so I'll leave that one as is. tongue.png Good luck!

Archived