Skitarii Colourschemes!

Charlo

Wow Kilofix, that sounds precisely like what I got when my wife saw my based Onager. She then told me it needed some drybrushing (and she doesn't paint). I guess I've trained her TOO well! tongue.png

Similar topic, but didn't want to start a whole new thread. I was hoping you folks could help me figure out how to paint my cult mechs. 

Original I wanted to still the paint styles of  metalica (White, Red, Steel{metals}, Bronze{metal trim}), but instead using (White, Brown, Steel/silver, gold). I figured it would be more regal, and my armies fluff is that they seek only to recover the holy data, and battle is only a step toward that path. I just worry it will lack abit of pop. So maybe (White, Black, Silver, gold) Might pop better, but i fear it looses that Classiness the brown brings.

Any thoughts would rock.

The only problem I have with brown, is what color are you going to paint the Skitarii's weapon casings?  They default to wood, so you'd have to shift the color a bit or risk blending too much.

I'm doing brown robes on my Skitarii and then the wooden stock question came around. The answer: paint it wooden!

Utilizing different paints, the robes, leather, and wood all look different and, I feel, can be told apart very easily. Let me break it down:

Wooden Stock

Dryad Bark basecoat

Nuln Oil wash

Baneblade Brown drybrush

Leather

Rhinox Hide basecoat

Nuln Oil wash

Steel Legion Drab highlight

-or-

Skrag Brown highlight

Robes

Dryad Bark basecaot

Nuln Oil wash

Gorthor Brown drybrush

-or-

Karak Stone drybrush

The only problem I have with brown, is what color are you going to paint the Skitarii's weapon casings?  They default to wood, so you'd have to shift the color a bit or risk blending too much.

Lucifer colour scheme weapons are black, rather than brown.  

i went a brown robe on my prime but it ended up being too many warm colours sad.png so had to change to black robes ...ended up better by far biggrin.png

Before & After... (black cloak is still WiP but you see the difference though)

med_gallery_9146_6928_988112.jpg med_gallery_9146_6928_818176.jpg

Mithril

i went a brown robe on my prime but it ended up being too many warm colours sad.png so had to change to black robes ...ended up better by far biggrin.png

Before & After... (black cloak is still WiP but you see the difference though)

med_gallery_9146_6928_988112.jpg med_gallery_9146_6928_818176.jpg

Mithril

wow thanks a lot for hsowing that extra pic; really puts it all in prospective. I think I'll just go with metalica and change all the red to gold. i think gold pops well enough off gold to work out.

No worries guys, i'm glad my mistakeblush.png helped you out thumbsup.gif .

yeah on the prime idea i wanted him to stand out like the proverbial so i will actually do the same for my Ranger Alpha(Prime) (for when i choose to use him)

i cant wait to see how he will look in a black hooded robe devil.gif .

@ mmimize - do a test model first to see if it works in real life, i can't wait to see what you come up with, i always like seeing new takes on schemes!

@Mehman - i agree in part to your colour choices for different browns but sometimes even with differing browns it still disappears into each other,i find balancing warm and cold colours make's a more stark (winter is comingtongue.png ) contrast on the model.

Cheers,Mithril

I'm doing Forgeworld Agripinaa. My Space Marines are Sons of Medusa, so I am interpreting the line from the codex about that world's "sense of truth and logic (being) likewise inverted" as Agripinaa being more friendly towards the oddities of the descendants of the Moirae Heresy. Plus, with the Sons of Medusa being green, I didn't want to go for the original Martian colour because it'd look a bit too Christmassy to have green-armoured Space Marines alongside red-robed Skitarii.

The results speak for themselves, but I'm definitely a fan of the black robes over the brown. I see where you guys are going with the alternate weapon casing colors; even shifting to a darker/lighter shade of brown will work just fine.

I agree, a test model is an absolute necessity for most armies; in this case it probably saved you from a troublesome repaint. That said, I try not to take any longer on the test model than I intend to take once I get into the assembly line painting. Otherwise, my test model ends up looking too good and he stands out awkwardly from his unit! unsure.png

Well thank full I'm going to start my forces with cult, and I'll be able to spend some serious time on the tech priest dominus and the datasmith, and really every model because the model count is so low.

My army of paints come in wensday so I'll paint a test smith and a test kastelan and blpost it for review.

Archived