[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

There modelled as tartaros.

And rulewise they have Indomitus Armour, which is crucial unless a FAQ says otherwise.

This is basically the same thing as going into the World Eaters Tactica and starting the free chain-axes argument. Can we not, instead?

There modelled as tartaros.

And rulewise they have Indomitus Armour, which is crucial unless a FAQ says otherwise.

This is basically the same thing as going into the World Eaters Tactica and starting the free chain-axes argument. Can we not, instead?

Nah, it's the same as going to the Imperial Fist Tactica and tell them that Tartaros cannot take Storm Shields. ;)

I've got a narrative campaign day on Sunday, which I'm very much looking forward to! Only issue is I can't used named characters, so this may be one of the first times I've not used Mortarion! I think I'll have a play with a few options, most likely a hardy Praetor - and then have a thing about what to do with the extra points. I think another Troops squad would probably be useful, and then it's whether I put them into the Spartan instead (or leave that at home). Options....!

I've got a narrative campaign day on Sunday, which I'm very much looking forward to! Only issue is I can't used named characters, so this may be one of the first times I've not used Mortarion! I think I'll have a play with a few options, most likely a hardy Praetor - and then have a thing about what to do with the extra points. I think another Troops squad would probably be useful, and then it's whether I put them into the Spartan instead (or leave that at home). Options....!

Or a Typhon!

Or a Typhon!

I'm actually leaning towards a Glaive, mostly because I've never used it - and it'll be fun! I've got a third Troops choice included in the larger list I've initially planned, which I'm pleased with - as I felt at the last campaign weekend I didn't have enough to contest objectives, so this should add variety as well as tactical flexibility!

It went very well all things considered, and a glorious overall win for the Traitors in the narrative campaign! I certainly enjoyed using the Glaive (although it died early in the first game), but it was good to use things I wouldn't normally.

My list for the two 3k games I played was roughly:

Praetor with the usual trimmings

Siege Breaker

Deathshroud

Two Twenty-strong Tac squads with Apothecaries

Fifteen strong Tac squad

3 Quads with Phosphex

Two Sicarans

Spartan

Glaive

First game was against Dark Angels, and the first time I've played them in the Heresy setting I believe. Those Heavy Bolters can hurt! Coming up against a Fellblade and needing to be the attacker to capture a teleport pad was very good fun: although being seized on meant I lost a good round of shooting! Despite losing lots of armour, I had four scoring units available to take the objective on that last turn - finished 7-2.

Having taken the teleporter, I next faced the Salamanders to fight over a Manufactorum. With two central objectives to secure, and against a Land Raider squadron - I was concerned over them getting close! Cracking the transports and then bombarding those who exited the transports went well, and despite having plenty on the board, having both objectives contested when the game ended denied me a heavier victory (2-0, instead of 12-0 if I'd cleared both objectives).

Final game was 1500pts of Zone Mortalis, using a heavily modified list featuring two Breacher squads, more Deathshroud, Grave Wardens and a Kheres Dread. Facing off against a Mechanicum and Talons alliance was tough, but helped by some random effects owing to the setting and going heavily after the objectives secured a victory (something like 4-2).

A really good set of games as part of a great narrative campaign: a thoroughly enjoyable day! Very much looking forward to the next one already. Just some general thoughts:

-Glaive needs some practice to use, and really needs some good positioning to make the most of the beam weaponry. I'd like to give it a few more games!

-Sicarans are very good: benefit of fast and their weaponry layout (and some good rolling on my part!) makes them a good option. Given I would normally take Medusas in that slot, I'm wondering whether one or two of them in future gives enough variety for the cost, and I'd need to test further.

-Quad Mortars with Phosphex are so effective against Legionaries, but I'm tempted by other shells too if I could find points to make them even more versatile.

-Taking an extra Tactical Squad was definitely worthwhile - I would consider dropping them all down to that size (15) with Apothecaries.

Looking forward to playing again soon!

Well done! Sounds like some good wins there.

Heavy bolters - yes. I take a party size unit of 7 with an apothecary pretty much as standard. Always pays for itself.

Quad mortars - S8 heavy4 shells a worth a shout. Backed up with phosphex ofc, crack the transport and burn the contents.

Cheers for thoughts both: may be good just to increase the Mortars utility, although it does ramp up the cost.

I think I will experiment with 15: I'm pleased to have added a Vex, and I think with giving the Sergeant a weapon it may be worthwhile - and give me a few points to invest elsewhere.

I agree with the 15-man squad suggestion. Big enough to require focus fire from your opponent, but not too unwieldy on the tabletop. Also cheaper. :)

Glaive is amazing, but it definitely requires some finesse. Perhaps deploying it far to one side with the 2 Sicarans (I'm not sure of your loadout on them, but having 4 heavy bolters is some serious dakka). They can move 12" and still be quite effective, meaning they can flank your Glaive and offer some protection.

Very impressed with your list - it is the right balance of competitive (phosphex Quad Launchers, Spartan) and fluffy (Tactical Blobs, only 1 unit of Quad Launchers). Nice! :)