[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

Dreadnought drop pods.

Drop pods via Orbital assault rite of war.

Jump packs.

Terminator armour in Orbital assault rite of war.

Dreadclaws.

Flying transports... Etx

Thanks charlo, I should really have known that.. and I will have to take a look at the orbital assault ROW, I guess even the Death Guard have to make plant fall somehow, could be an interesting twist. What do you think?

Hey sons of Barbarus. I'm about to take the jump into 30k and the DG call to me. I'm expecting to play around 2500 points and on the more competitive side. Here's what I was thinking.

+++ Death Guard (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) ++

+ HQ +

Legion Centurion [Power Armour]

····Legiones Astartes [Legion Specific Rules]

····May be upgraded to one of these Consul roles: [siege Breaker]

Legion Praetor [Artificer Armour, Iron Halo, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade, Power Fist, Rad Grenades]

····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

+ Troops +

Legion Heavy Support Squad [5x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]

····Legion Sergeant [Augury Scanner, Power Armour]

Legion Tactical Squad [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Heavy Flamer]

····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Rad Grenades]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [2x Combi-weapon, Flamer, 4x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen]

····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Combi-weapon]

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Deathshroud Terminator Squad [4x Deathshroud Terminators]

····Legion Land Raider Phobos [Extra Armour, 2x Twin-linked Lascannon]

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery [Phosphex Canister Shot, Shatter Shell]

····Legion Rapier Quad Launcher

········Legiones Astartes [Legion Specific Rules]

+ Heavy Support +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad [3x Chainfist, 4x Grave Warden Terminator]

····Chem-master [Power Scythe]

····Legion Land Raider Proteus [Extra Armour]

Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron

····Legion Vindicator Tank [Laser Destroyer Array]

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Traitor, XIV: Death Guard]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

It's a little light on anti-Spartan with mainly the Venator and a few chainfists on the wardens. I kinda like the idea of a grav Contemptor with a chain fist but then I'm light on anti air. Thoughts?

Well this may sound weird but I am looking to start a 30k Death Guard army in an attempt to use all my Forgeworld vehicles I originally converted for my 40k Nurgle force but can't really use with the new Death guard legion rules since I am planning on running the formations which all my FW goodies can't be used in them :( I will probably do a death guard army likely my black shield force representing them after their fall to chaos. I have a spartan, enough contemptors to field a ful talon and 6 vindicators mostly laser destroyers any ideas on what style/ rite would be best to build a force around maybe mechanised or something as I am pretty keen on fielding a force that features mostly all my models as it's depressing I have these models but ever use them since formations and FW don't mix well

Thanks

Edited by teutonicavenger

Well this may sound weird but I am looking to start a 30k Death Guard army in an attempt to use all my Forgeworld vehicles I originally converted for my 40k Nurgle force but can't really use with the new Death guard legion rules since I am planning on running the formations which all my FW goodies can't be used in them :sad.: I will probably do a death guard army likely my black shield force representing them after their fall to chaos. I have a spartan, enough contemptors to field a ful talon and 6 vindicators mostly laser destroyers any ideas on what style/ rite would be best to build a force around maybe mechanised or something as I am pretty keen on fielding a force that features mostly all my models as it's depressing I have these models but ever use them since formations and FW don't mix well

Thanks

You don't have to run a rite, and in fact sometimes its better not to. Best bet is to read each of the generic rites and see if any take your fancy - the restrictions are easily found online.

You could go mech for armour saturation, but you will need to build a lot of predators.

Hey sons of Barbarus. I'm about to take the jump into 30k and the DG call to me. I'm expecting to play around 2500 points and on the more competitive side. Here's what I was thinking.

+++ Death Guard (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) ++

+ HQ +

Legion Centurion [Power Armour]

····May be upgraded to one of these Consul roles: [siege Breaker]

Legion Praetor [Artificer Armour, Iron Halo, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade, Power Fist, Rad Grenades]

····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

+ Troops +

Legion Heavy Support Squad [5x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]

····Legion Sergeant [Augury Scanner, Power Armour]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [2x Combi-weapon, Flamer, 4x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen]

····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Combi-weapon]

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Deathshroud Terminator Squad [4x Deathshroud Terminators]

····Legion Land Raider Phobos [Extra Armour, 2x Twin-linked Lascannon]

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery [Phosphex Canister Shot, Shatter Shell]

+ Heavy Support +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad [3x Chainfist, 4x Grave Warden Terminator]

····Chem-master [Power Scythe]

····Legion Land Raider Proteus [Extra Armour]

Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron

····Legion Vindicator Tank [Laser Destroyer Array]

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Traitor, XIV: Death Guard]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

It's a little light on anti-Spartan with mainly the Venator and a few chainfists on the wardens. I kinda like the idea of a grav Contemptor with a chain fist but then I'm light on anti air. Thoughts?

I quite like it, you have two landraiders as threats as opposed to one big bad spartan. 30k metas rarely focus on air - I think you will be fine to have the grav temptor if you want it.

Well this may sound weird but I am looking to start a 30k Death Guard army in an attempt to use all my Forgeworld vehicles I originally converted for my 40k Nurgle force but can't really use with the new Death guard legion rules since I am planning on running the formations which all my FW goodies can't be used in them :sad.: I will probably do a death guard army likely my black shield force representing them after their fall to chaos. I have a spartan, enough contemptors to field a ful talon and 6 vindicators mostly laser destroyers any ideas on what style/ rite would be best to build a force around maybe mechanised or something as I am pretty keen on fielding a force that features mostly all my models as it's depressing I have these models but ever use them since formations and FW don't mix well

Thanks

You don't have to run a rite, and in fact sometimes its better not to. Best bet is to read each of the generic rites and see if any take your fancy - the restrictions are easily found online.

You could go mech for armour saturation, but you will need to build a lot of predators.

The armoured breakthrough does sound nice, can the master of the armour tank be the only HQ I take or do I need another HQ with master of the legion to unlock the rite????

The WS4 makes it slightly annoying, but otherwise, on the charge you're getting 3-4 attacks each at S5 AP2 I3, so hitting before the enemy.

Assuming the worst (Cataphracti with Primus Medicae) you will still kill a couple before they strike back.

Ok, here's the most recent iteration, tried something different. 310 points left, what do?

Death Guard, Creeping Death, 2190/2500

HQ (245)

Delegatus - Artificer, Combi and Scythe - 105

Siege Breaker - Artificer, Combi and Thunder Hammer - 140

Elites (530)

Apothecary x2, Artificer x2, Augury Scanner x2- 120

Kheres Mortis - 180

Quad Launcher x3, Phosphex - 240

Troops (690)

20 man Tac Squad, Vexilla, Artificer and Melta on Sarge - 250

20 man Tac Squad, Vexilla, Artificer and Melta on Sarge – 250

10 man Flamer Support Squad, Artificer and Melta on Sarge - 190

Heavy Support (715)

2x Predator Executioner + Dozer - 270

2x Vindicator + Dozer (250)

Sicaran Venator + Dozer (195)

Mass infantry, with HQ's and Apothecaries attached, moving up supported by the flamer squad taking advantage of Creeping Death and squatting on objectives. Flanked by Vindicators and Executioners for killing dudes and TEQs, and hopefully the Venator in the mix will be able to discourage Spartans. Phosphex for killing dudes and also for area denial. 

I don't think your list is particularly lacking in any area, you've got anti infantry and anti armor covered fairly well, but you could probably use a bit more speed. Rhinos would really help with that, you could grab a rhino for the flamer squad  and maybe fit in a veteran squad with heavy flamers/combi flamers in a rhino. I don't play DG but a unit of combi flamer veterans with marksmen and chem munitions just seems awesome to me, going to unleash the pain on any infantry unit it can get in range of. 

The Flamer guys 100% require a transport.

Also I feel you should be getting more out of the Siege Breaker. A Heavy weapons squad he could join to confer Tank Hunters to?

Edited by Ishagu

• 4 weeks later...

Hello fellow lovers of NBC weaponry:happy.:

I am thinking of entering a 30K Highlander tournament with my Deathguard.   I was kicking around some ideas and would love some feedback on this list.

2500pts

HQ 400

165-Marshal Durak Rask

115-Sige Breaker, Artificer Armour, Refractor Field

Elites 270

270-Quad Mortars x3, Shatter Shells,  Phosphex Shells

Troops 1350

210-Legion tactical squad, Power fist, Rad Grenades, Artificer Armour, Rhino

210-Legion tactical squad, Power fist, Rad Grenades, Artificer Armour, Rhino

440-Heavy Support squad x10, Lascannons, Augury Scanner

290-Heavy Support squad x10,  Missile Launchers, Augury Scanner

Fast Attack

LOL

Heavy Support 480

260-Laser Vindicator x2

220-Deredeo dreadnought, Missile launcher

Allied Detachment  Tainted Flesh, Cult Hoard provenances

120- Militia Force Commander

100- Militia Levy Squad x50

100- Militia Levy Squad x50

Tactics is for the all the big guns to blast enemy super heavies, tanks and dredds into pieces as quickly as possible.   The Levy squads advance up the board taking bullets and tying up enemy units.  Since they are fearless and their cc attacks have rending they might even take a few of them with them.  They also eat up a ton of space to reduce the places drop pods and or flyers can come onto the board.  The Dodo keeps the the skies friendly and the heavy support squads will be deployed  within 18" of my deployment zone edge to catch outflankers off guard.  I chose Rask because he unlocks my ROW and buffs heavy support squads.  I originally had a praetor but realized I had no beat stick cc units to stick him into.  Laser vindi's adds to the long range death and the Tacticals will try to sneak by unnoticed to grab objectives.  

What do you guys think?  

Looks ace!

If you can though I'd suggest scythes on the tactical sarges, you won't need the S8 too often and hitting with AP2 at I3 is golden, especially when you still wound on 2s with the strength buff and T debuff of the scythe/ rads combined!

I'd almost say make the Laser Vindicators into just normal ones - your tank hunting Lascannons will provide the same job as laser ones and you get some solid terminator/ blob detraction too (as well as phosphex).

Looks ace!

If you can though I'd suggest scythes on the tactical sarges, you won't need the S8 too often and hitting with AP2 at I3 is golden, especially when you still wound on 2s with the strength buff and T debuff of the scythe/ rads combined!

I'd almost say make the Laser Vindicators into just normal ones - your tank hunting Lascannons will provide the same job as laser ones and you get some solid terminator/ blob detraction too (as well as phosphex).

Thanks for the response.  I was tempted to put scythes on the tacticals but I thought power fists were a bit more versatile in that they kill meq, dredds, MC and tanks.  While the sweet sweet  scythes help me kill sarges I didn't think they would last long in cc being a 10 man basic squad without extra blades.  My thinking was a single punch knocking out a tank or dredd exponentially increases their returns.  I still don't know though I do love me some scythes lol.  

I chose laser vindi's because I was concerned about the short range of the gun and the ability to maneuver around all of my levies on the table to be able to get a shot.  Instead I was hoping to put them in cover and not move too much and over charge fire all day long.

Keep the feedback coming guys:biggrin.:

Afternoon chaps

I've ordered a job lot of DG bodies and heads, and trying to come up with some concepts for a Praetor and Siege Breaker. I've done a conversion on the BaC chaplain for a SB, but I'm not 100% with it.

Does anyone have any advice about bitz/techniques/modelling ideas could I use to help me make the Praetor stand out as an HQ choice?

Hi

this is a tactics thread. Conversions don't really belong here. Honestly, google and our own WIP and horus heresy sections will be your best bet.

Would it be possible playing a deathguard force that doesn't use a rite of war??? Planning on taking a death shroud squad as well as a librarian (more for rule of cool representing my current chaos force during their heresy) so not using any rites.

Would it be possible playing a deathguard force that doesn't use a rite of war??? Planning on taking a death shroud squad as well as a librarian (more for rule of cool representing my current chaos force during their heresy) so not using any rites.

I mean, you can certainly not use any rites for sure, but when there are so many benefits to be had there must be one that is "rite" for you ;)

If you want a lot of Deathshroud maybe go Pride?