[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

Would it be possible playing a deathguard force that doesn't use a rite of war??? Planning on taking a death shroud squad as well as a librarian (more for rule of cool representing my current chaos force during their heresy) so not using any rites.

absolutely - in fact we can do it better than many other legions. 

take 10man deathshroud unit as your HQ and you still get a warlord trait too. its near impossible to lose 'slay the warlord' as you just spread the wounds around the unit.

Would it be possible playing a deathguard force that doesn't use a rite of war??? Planning on taking a death shroud squad as well as a librarian (more for rule of cool representing my current chaos force during their heresy) so not using any rites.

absolutely - in fact we can do it better than many other legions.

take 10man deathshroud unit as your HQ and you still get a warlord trait too. its near impossible to lose 'slay the warlord' as you just spread the wounds around the unit.

That does sound rather nice :D Iv already brought enough bits to convert up some cataphractii deathshroud what would be a good foot slogger force that is lead by deathshroud and has a leviathan (or two) I'm almost tempted to run a dark compliance list so I bulk out on some cheap troops Edited by teutonicavenger

I run reaping. Generally 2x15 man tact squads, 10 man culverin squad,ten man Las squad, sniper heavy flamer vets, 10 man gravewardens, dreadeo, leviathan, 2 flamestorm dreads, 2 medusas, 3 thudd guns. If i take morty ill prob put him with my ten man deathshroud in a Spartan or I do have a tyhpoon if not.

Basically walk up the field while laying down a,crap load of fire. It's not unstoppable but is fun.

looking through all the Prospero stuff, and thinking we are going to find things difficult in the new world.

Space Wolves particularly have lots of things that really we could have done with. Let me explain:

Great frost blades are the same as power scythes, but are also master crafted, cheaper on some units, and more easily accessible than scythes. In addition, these rules will stack with counter-attack / hit and run / WS5 / preferred enemy etc  that wolves can get.

the SW elite choice, the destroyer equivalent, is everything we wanted. I'm really jealous.

the SW terminators can all be equipped with heavy flamers or autocannons, and can be made into troops choices.

There is some other things too, but the power creep appears somewhat obvious.

So, lets put our Barbaran heads together and think of how we can face these new foes (both wolves and talons specificially)

Edited by disease

looking through all the Prospero stuff, and thinking we are going to find things difficult in the new world.

Space Wolves particularly have lots of things that really we could have done with. Let me explain:

Great frost blades are the same as power scythes, but are also master crafted, cheaper on some units, and more easily accessible than scythes. In addition, these rules will stack with counter-attack / hit and run / WS5 / preferred enemy etc that wolves can get.

the SW elite choice, the destroyer equivalent, is everything we wanted. I'm really jealous.

the SW terminators can all be equipped with heavy flamers or autocannons, and can be made into troops choices.

So, lets put our Barbaran heads together and think of how we can face these new foes (both wolves and talons specificially)

Reduce them to furry goo with phosphex spam :D Wolves will be challenging especially since they get better in close combat

Frost blades arnt that great compared to our scythes only the frost axe and great sword have ap 2 with the axe unwieldy whilst the great sword is a wolf paragon blade so will only be on praetors but doesnt have instant death

Our scythes will still cut down the hairy mongrels before they can strike boosted Ws or not ( if our guys got 2+ sv otherwise no chance)

Back on other tactics is Mortation a good investement I was thinking on going no rite but the more I get invested in 30k I really like the idea of embracing it fully I was thinking either Mortarion just because having the death lord would be awesome (though I hate the bare head so will convert a head swap) or typhus for the cheaper option. Which ever I take will most likely be accompanied by 7 deathshroud (converting a squad to have cataphractii so have two squads which I can have accompany typhus or morty) in a spartan

Edited by teutonicavenger

Great frost blades are the same as power scythes, but are also master crafted, cheaper on some units, and more easily accessible than scythes. In addition, these rules will stack with counter-attack / hit and run / WS5 / preferred enemy etc that wolves can get.

Reduce them to furry goo with phosphex spam :biggrin.: Wolves will be challenging especially since they get better in close combat

Frost blades arnt that great compared to our scythes only the frost axe and great sword have ap 2 with the axe unwieldy whilst the great sword is a wolf paragon blade so will only be on praetors but doesnt have instant death

Our scythes will still cut down the hairy mongrels before they can strike boosted Ws or not ( if our guys got 2+ sv otherwise no chance)

I'd urge you to take a look at the rules again, that's simply not correct. Any space wolf independent character can swap power weapon for frost blade,claw  or great frost blade. The blade and claw give +1S and AP3 (shred).    The great blade is +1S, AP2, master crafted, two handed with reaping blow.   Nothing suggests praetor only, and nor does the character have our initiative penalty in addition to gaining master crafted. Also, one in 5 deathsworn can take the great sword, and so can the grey slayer huscarl.  Its a vastly superior weapon to our scythe.

i've thought of something else, I wonder if anyone has tried it. 

Reaping Rite:  Load up with heavy support squads who hide inside a Stormlord Super Heavy, using the stormlord base to push forward and get better shooting angles.

Awesome battle report Bosswoodfox :D

Came up with a non rite death guard army tthat is primary foot slogging and was looking for advice

Hq

(Warlords)

7 deathshroud

Meltabombs, Cataphractii armour

Librarian

Mastery lv2, power scythe, force sword, Artificer Armour refractor field, melta bombs

(Joins plasma squad)

Elites

Quad launcher

Shatter shells

3 apothecaries

Artificer Armour, augury scanners

Cortus dread

Multimelta, chainfist with melta

Troops

13 tactical support marines

Additional close comabt weapons, sergeant with artificier armour power scythe and melta bombs

13 tactical support marines

Additional close comabt weapons, sergeant with artificier armour power scythe and melta bombs

10 support marines

Plasmaguns, additional close combat weapons

Heavy

Leviathan dreadnought

Melta lance, armoured cereamite, 2 volkite calivers, phosphex discharger

Deredero dread

Aiolos missile launcher, Arachnus heavy lascannon

Deredero dread

Aiolos missile launcher, Arachnus heavy lascannon

I understand I'll be at a massive disadvantage going foot slogging but have always loved the fluff for death guard the foot slobbers they are. Librarian is more a rule of cool choice over any actual common sense. Is a single quad launcher still a good choice as having at least one was a goal though I could drop the cortus for more or even a primus medicae to give the death shroud a feel no pain sv

Edited by teutonicavenger

I think that list would be a lot of fun, rule of cool.  I would at least by more quads (even though i don't own any) so that you can run more if you like.  2 is 1, 1 is none and all that.  Other than that if you make the Death Shroud FnP then you might want to shuffle points to put 10 in the squad to get more use out of it... 20 FnP wounds is scary.

Hi there sons of the Reaper! Long time lurker (but first post) who finally took the plunge and decided to start a death guard army.

With this army, I wanted to go with a close range shooty theme, very shock and awe style. I want to utilize large numbers of terminators (I love both of our unique termi units) as well as some plasma/melta support squads as well as some outriders to add some speed to the list.

Any thoughts on how to best utilize such units in a death guard army?

Yeah orbital assault is probably your best bet if you want to utilize support squads and lots terminators, both those units benefit a lot from deep striking. It's not a common RoW to use for DG but that doesn't mean you can't do it, and it would work particularly well for units like grave wardens that have devastating short ranged firepower. 

Hey guys, I'm still trying to find the right legion for me. I was initially drawn to DG for various reasons, got distracted for a bit my some other stuff (Thousand Sons) but keep coming back to the Death Guard. I posted a similar list a few pages back but made some tweaks and wanted to get some fresh opinions.

2500 - The Reaping

Praetor - Iron Halo, Paragon Blade, Power Fist, Rad Grenades, Meltabombs

Consult - Siege Breaker - Cataphractii, Power Axe

4 Deathstroud - LR Phobos

2 Rapiers - Quad Launcher, Shatter, Phosphex

Contemptor Cirrus - DCCW, Chainfist, 2x Grav Gun

10 Tacticals - Vexilla, Artificer Armor, Power Scythe, Meltabombs, Rhino, Heavy Flamer

10 Tacticals - Vexilla, Artificer Armor, Power Scythe, Meltabombs, Rhino, Heavy Flamer

7 Heavy Support Squad - Missile Launchers, Augury Scanner

5 Grave Wardens - Power Scythe, 2x Chainfist, LR Proteus

Sicaran Venator

Deredeo - Aiolos

I really wish I could fit in a flamer support or Vet squad, but I don't know where to find the points. I could downgrade the Deredeo to something else, take fewer missiles, drop the TArmor on the Siege Breaker but I feel like those are all solid. I hate the idea of the Consul just being a wasted 95 points for TH and Phosphex unlock. This way he can tank wounds for the missiles and sally forth if any basic infantry get too close.

Thoughts?

Unsure on the Contemptor Cortus in this list - the Dreadnought already comes with move through cover so gains nothing from the Reaping, and can't run/get the +2 to run bonus from overclocking its reactor. It will be hard to get it into position.

List is sound though. I'd probably only pick one weapon on the Praetor to save points, but I can understand the appeal of a beatstick, and a Phobos would be preferable than a Proteus for the Grave Wardens.

Good points on the Cortus. I wanted something else that could frighten a Spartan. And he adds some midfield beef. I have an alternate version that drops the Deredeo for a LD Vindi, changes the Cortus to a Kheres Morris, drops the cata from the SB and adds a Flamer support squad. I'd be scared of only having the Venator and the GW that can realistically hurt a Spartan though

Hey there,

So I've had my Death Guard for a while but only now am starting to do something with the group. I'm planning on a 3k point game. The army I'm against is actually 40k ultramarines, most likely a gun-line styled army. I love the Death Guard fluff and as such am hoping to do something a bit more fluffy, I don't mind too much about competitive-ness or meta since both mine and his army probably aren't so meta. However I do want to make it a good game and still make it a decent army as I need to pick up a few things to make this work. So far my list is a rough, again working with units I've got so I'll put my plan and list so far, I'm actually only at 2.5k points so far so I've got leeway to work with.

Vigilator (Not sure about upgrades yet - or whether I'll be using him)

Veteran x10, 2x heavy flamer (chem-munition), leader with artificer armour and thunder hammer. x2

Heavy support x5, lascannons.

Heavy support x5 Volkite Culverin (Or heavy bolter)

Heavy support x5 Plasma Cannon

Quad Mortar x2 Phosphex rounds (considering a third)

Contemptor x2 (considering a mortis to make these cheaper)

Mortarion

5x Deathshroud

Spartan LR

This obviously isn't a finished list. This is what I'm working with. Issue is I don't want to buy too much more unless it works together viably, don't want to end up having to buy loads of stuff after all! I might be coming into possession of another Spartan however so what I'm thinking:

Initial plan was to use vigilator to give the deathshroud Outflank to come in with my veterans from the sides. I was then going to pick up potentially a bunch of Grave Wardens to go in a spartan as mid range objective control OR pick up more deathshroud. I was also thinking about a Leviathan but I'm unsure as to that yet. Do I need some more range? Maybe a phosphex medusa? I also considered a siege breaker to get this done.

These are all options that have been talked about in this thread however I'm unsure as to what I should pick up to really round my list to 3k points. As I said I have 500 points to work with and I need to order some FW goodies. Each of these options seems nice...

Oh yes, going to be running the Reaping I think. I'm not a big fan of running rhino veterans, it doesn't seem too fluffy to me. I liked the idea of bomb them with phosphex whilst they appear from the settling fog like the reapers. The crawling fog RoW would work with that but it's so situational so I figured outflank is kind of the same thing fluff-wise!

Edit: The idea to drop the vigilator and put a bunch of deathshroud termies in one spartan with a bunch of grave warden in the other sounds really appealing I'm not going to lie.

Anyway, ideas?

Edited by kirat1

You need troops. The Reaping allows Vets and Heavy Support as non-compulsory choices. I disagree with avoiding Rhinos, but if that's what you like, so be it. The Reaping doesn't forbid fortifications, so you might want to invest in a VSG, an aegis defense line, or anything that'll help keep those heavy support squads safe from ap3 blasts. Could you swap out the plasma cannons for autocannons? They seem the most iconic of DG heavy weapons to me.

OH, non compulsory, yeah, now I feel stupid. Looks like I need some more Mk3's then. Ah that's not so good. OK so I'm going to have to get 2x15 Tacticals probably. OK! Nothing to be perturbed by.

As to fortifications to be honest I've never looked into them but that's probably a good idea, I'll have to have a check. I was thinking about auto's in place of plasma for a while since that'd make all my HSS have pretty decent range. I was only worried about losing out on the AP3? Or would that not be too much of an issue with that amount of shots.

Mmm, I'm going to have to have a check up on some rules then I think!