[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

For those, what would you recommend? 

Just LR everywhere? Rhinos for Vets?

.....I think eventually I want to work towards a reaping list that uses lots of heavy support and then heavy support missile squads in non compulsory troops.

My first game with Mortarion was a blast, it was the mission where one army starts in the centre and the other on the wings, I was starting in the centre.  Mort teleported away from his death shroud, and charged a small 5 man heavy squad in a building, then teleported to the thudd gun team, then a tac squad (killing all of them or causing a panic and chasing them down) then teleported across most of the board and got charged into a 15 man breacher squad.  He moves fast enough that not much is going to catch him that you don't want to.

Just remember to space your Death Shroud out so that your enemy when he has his 3'' consolidate in each round of combat is moving his troops in. Usually by turn 2 the special scythe attacks are nailing 4-5 targets each, and with a rad grenade you are reaping marines with ease.

My grave wardens just ride in a land raider and pick what target needs to get hit with 5 power fists.

Awesome. Really cool stuff to hear!

Excited to get my dudes on the table now.

Mortarion sounds pretty unstoppable if he gets to backfield and I suppose he will with his jumping.

What was your/ thier full list like? I assume you ran the reaping for rad grenades.

Awesome. Really cool stuff to hear!

Excited to get my dudes on the table now.

Mortarion sounds pretty unstoppable if he gets to backfield and I suppose he will with his jumping.

What was your/ thier full list like? I assume you ran the reaping for rad grenades.

My list

Reaping- Mortarion, 3 death shroud, 2 tac units rhino, 3 outrider bike squad with flamers, 2 five man missle launcher heavy squads, predator executioner, grave wardens in a raider.

his list dark angels - praetor(I think), scorpius , rapier thud guns, 15(maybe 20) man breacher squad , 10 man auto cannon heavy squad with a terminator character to give them slow and purposeful, 2 ten man tac squads.

The big lesson in this game was barrage weapons and nuncio vox are a bloody nasty combo. By the end of the game all I had left was half a tac squad a rhino and mort, he had left was the scorpius, a few breachers, and part of a tac squad. Will be playing again next week this time against some solar auxilia.

As mentioned before, Death Guard get the most out units they hate.

Librarians? So we can't run with the Reaping? Guess who gets Strikedown as a Primaris?

Outriders; Again, can't run. And now gain Move Through Cover? AND have Power Weapons in conjunction with Rad Nades? Go on.

Attack bikes; Shredding Heavy flamers, Move Through Cover

Land Speeders; Shredding Heavy Flamers, AND Grav? Go on.

Assault Squads; Move Through Cover Jump Packs with Rad Nades? Go on. 290pts for 10 Power Sword attacks wounding on 3's, and 21 AP- Attacks, wounding on 3's?

As mentioned before, Death Guard get the most out units they hate.

Librarians? So we can't run with the Reaping? Guess who gets Strikedown as a Primaris?

Outriders; Again, can't run. And now gain Move Through Cover? AND have Power Weapons in conjunction with Rad Nades? Go on.

Attack bikes; Shredding Heavy flamers, Move Through Cover

Land Speeders; Shredding Heavy Flamers, AND Grav? Go on.

Assault Squads; Move Through Cover Jump Packs with Rad Nades? Go on. 290pts for 10 Power Sword attacks wounding on 3's, and 21 AP- Attacks, wounding on 3's?

Someone give this man a cookie!

I need some Death Guard players opinions.

Is the Death Guard's preferred style of overwhelming firepower and attrition enough to justify bringing 3 thudd guns without it being just CHEESE!

I'm messing about with lists and I want as many templates as possible because I think that's really Death Guard-ey. But is it enough fluff to justify ruining someone's day with 3 thudd guns?

What do you think?

Cheers

Freak

I need some Death Guard players opinions.

Is the Death Guard's preferred style of overwhelming firepower and attrition enough to justify bringing 3 thudd guns without it being just CHEESE!

I'm messing about with lists and I want as many templates as possible because I think that's really Death Guard-ey. But is it enough fluff to justify ruining someone's day with 3 thudd guns?

What do you think?

Cheers

Freak

Three thudd guns isn't cheese, and is fluffy for any legion given their size

Hmmm thinking about that 2500 list

Typhon

L2 Librarian, Telekinesis

L2 Librarian, Telekinesis

3x Graviton Cannon Rapiers

3x graviton Cannon Rapiers

Cataphractii Terminators, Chem Heavy Flamer, 4 Combi Chem Flamers

Breachers, 2 Chem Flamers, Combi Chem Flamer

Breachers, 2 Chem Flamers, Combi Chem Flamer

Heavy Support Squad, Heavy Chem flamers, Rhuno

Heavy Support Squad, Heavy Chem flamers, Rhino

Deredeo, Autocannons, Aiolos, Chem Heavy Flamers

Predator, Magna Melta, Chem Heavy Flamers

Predaotr, Magna Melta, Chem Heavy Flamers

Comes to 2498 if memory serves.

Cataphracts an Typhon plod to enemy objective under cover of Rhinos or Preds. Typhon stops enemies scoring, Implacable Advance Terminators hold the objective.

Preds hunt Apothecary Blobs, HSS's go for those without Apoths. Breachers hold home objectives.

Librarians go with either breachers or Rhinos and use Assail for strikedown.

Grav Cannons kill tanks and difficult terrain.

Some nice chem death there!

I think chem combi flamers are very strong for the price, ensuring a lot of wounds with the one shot.

Shame you can't fit grave wardens into the list to go with Typhus, that'd be ace and also fit the theme well.

I also assume you have Rad grenades on everyone relevant?

Grave Wardens suck kinda badly.

Forgot to put Rad nades in. Only got points for them on the Librarians, so you can choose whether to give the Breachers or Heavy Flamers the rad nades.

Otherwise, maybe drop the Aiolos for more rad nades, but honestly, An aiolos will do more.

Edited by Hesh Kadesh

Grave Wardens suck kinda badly.

Forgot to put Rad nades in. Only got points for them on the Librarians, so you can choose whether to give the Breachers or Heavy Flamers the rad nades.

Otherwise, maybe drop the Aiolos for more rad nades, but honestly, An aiolos will do more.

Interesting you say that, Grave wardens are only slightly more expensive than normal termies, but have much improved shooting and are near imposible to charge.

lack of scoring and heavy slot the reasons they suck?

Maybe I've misjudged them based on Book 2 meta, but our resident DG players don't rate them. 2 S6 shots per? Maybe helps strip a few wounds from Thallaxi, or try and plink off some Rhino's HP.

Otherwise, there'sore bang for your buck elsewhere.

But that is better than combi bolters right?

I think being heavy support hurts them but as a wall they seem fantastic, also they have chain fist access :)

Maybe I'm just too much of a sucker for them.

Okay I'm giving this a go - first ever Heresy list!

Hidden Content
+++ DG (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2500pts) ++

+ HQ (395pts) +

Deathshroud Terminator Squad (395pts) [3x Deathshroud Terminators, Land Raider Phobos, Melta Bombs]

+ Troops (950pts) +

Legion Breacher Siege Squad (300pts) [2x Graviton Gun, 9x Legion Breacher Siege Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox]
Legion Breacher Siege Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Rad Grenades]

Legion Heavy Support Squad (305pts) [9x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]
Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Melta Bombs]

Legion Tactical Squad (345pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon, Rad Grenades]

+ Heavy Support (730pts) +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (420pts) [2x Chainfist, 4x Grave Warden Terminator, Heavy Flamer with Chem-munitions, Land Raider Proteus]
Chem-master [Deathshroud Power Scythe]

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (310pts) [Legion Medusa, Legion Medusa]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XIV: Death Guard]

+ Lord of War (425pts) +

Mortarion the Reaper (425pts)
Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

Okay so the 2 LR Surge forward and disengage the cargo when possible. GW Nuke what they can and bait a charge while the DS split off from Morty if necessaryto charge two units.

Breachers hold the line, stripping HP off things with Grav and causing trouble.

Tacs are offensive and distraction, they just use MTC to get into a nice position and bolter things.

Heavy support squad either drown things in saves with frag or murder MEQ/ Medium vehicles.

Medusas bring the pie plates with the help of the nucinos floating around.

I think at 3k this could start to shine with maybe a master of signal and some apoths plus some more big guns.

Thoughts?

This isn't supposed to be SUPER competitive, just trying to get a list together to work towards for the future :) Influence my Purchases and what not.

I currently have DS, GW and Morty so those are all musts :)

Edited by Charlo

Another Death Guard game and my first victory ! 

My list Mort, 2 tac squads with rad and rhinos, 3 death shroud with rad, 5 grave wardens in land raider(oops), vindicator, executioner pred, 3 outriders.

His list malcador heavy tank, two 20 man las rifle auxillia troops, dark angel psyker with jump pack, 15 breachers, 10 man tac squad, 3 laser rapier, scorpius, 3 thud guns.

It was the mission where you only score for having models in the enemy deployment zone, and some secondary attrition, slay the warlord.

3-2 victory, the only thing I had alive at the end was one death shroud and mortarion in the opposing deployment zone ( having killed his warlord).  He has the malcador, scorpius, rapiers, thud guns and part of a tac squad with the malcador being the only thing in my deployment zone.  Again Mortarion and the death shroud were the all stars.  The scythe special attacks were insane being surrounded by so many models in base to base.

Next game will be bigger since I am getting a few new pieces but I am really starting to think about using the reaping as a melee focused army.  20 man assault marine unit with rad grenades.  Finding ways to get some fast movement units and strategies with the reaping might be interesting to pal with.

Edited by 1000 sons