[HH1.0] 30k Ultramarines tactics

GreyCrow

I just wanted to add another Javelin cos they're so awesome.

Guess I will just stick with the Plasma Guns in order to guarantee at least some AP2. They do like the Interlocking Tactics re-roll too.

EDIT: So the UM's (well...using them as UM as they're unpainted) I've been using as an Armoured Breakthrough force at 2500 points with moderate success against my cousins 40k Blood Angels. There's a gaming group near me that plays at 2k, so I was thinking of mixing it up and using Chosen Duty:

Delegatus - AA, Legatine Axe, Refractor Field, Melta Bombs, ROW: Chosen Duty (Goes with the Seekers to hide in the Proteus)

Rapier - Graviton Cannon

Rapier - Graviton Cannon

Vets x10 - AA, Power Fist, Combi-flamer, Vexilla, 2x Plasma Guns, Rhino with Dozer Blade, Marksmen

Vets x10 - AA, Power Axe, Combi-flamer, Vexilla, 2x Plasma Guns, Rhino with Dozer Blade, Marksmen

Seekers x9 - AA, Power Axe, Melta Bombs

Proteus - Dozer Blade, TL Lascannon

Sicaran - Lascannon Sponsons, Dozer Blade

Sicaran Venator - Dozer Blade

Leviathan - 2x Storm Cannons, 2x Calivers, Phosphex Discharger

Thoughts on this for 2k? Would be played against a mixture of 40k and 30k armies I imagine. I could change the Leviathan to be a Grav Bombard and Drill build instead, but I love the feel of the Death Blossom!

Edited by exsanguis

So I was looking at my Ultramarines the other day and I've decided to

add to my force.

I've been on a hiatus for a while trying various projects but not able

to keep up the momentum.

I currently have 6 Suzerains and would like to add some more with

Thunder Hammers.

I have an idea in my head of 2 squads of 8 charging forward jumping out of

the Landraiders accompanied by Guilliman and making a merry mess of things!

Do you think I should give each squad 2 Thunder Hammers or 3 in every 8?

(I have 6 Hammers total)

Thanks for the quick replies!

Ishagu, Thanks I'll do that. Seems nicely balanced.

Calancid, Lol! I know what you mean, rue the day my wife realises

how much my plastic crack habit truly costs!!

Edited by Jud Cottrell

Whilst on the topic of Suzerain, I thought I should admit something. There's no way to put this nicely, so I'll just admit it, I don't like Suzerain.

Are Suzerain an auto-include? When you look at the majority of 30K Ultras list they almost always seem to include at least one squad of Suzerain, and I understand why because they are a fantastic unit in-game and seem like the only bodyguard unit for an Ultramarine Praetor worth taking.

However when I build an army list it is usually fluff driven and I just can't justify putting Suzerain in my list for any other reason than the fact they are a fantastic CC unit, when fluff-wise it just wouldn't make any sense in my army that is lead by a lowly Captain who proved himself at Calth, and not some XIIIth Legion Hero/Chapter Master. :tongue.:

This coupled with the fact I don't really like their MK III models just leaves me with an internal conflict regarding them. 

Can anybody put my mind to rest with this ridiculous problem I have with them, as it pains me every time I try to make an army list.

I could see a few Suzerain being drafted to advise the Captains of a certain chapter that are heading to a particularly dangerous warzone. If you don't like MKIII armour though, I can't help you with that. :P

I have a similar problem too tbh, my Praetor looks far too plain in comparison. And the cost is a tad too high for me. :(

Whilst on the topic of Suzerain, I thought I should admit something. There's no way to put this nicely, so I'll just admit it, I don't like Suzerain.

Are Suzerain an auto-include? When you look at the majority of 30K Ultras list they almost always seem to include at least one squad of Suzerain, and I understand why because they are a fantastic unit in-game and seem like the only bodyguard unit for an Ultramarine Praetor worth taking.

However when I build an army list it is usually fluff driven and I just can't justify putting Suzerain in my list for any other reason than the fact they are a fantastic CC unit, when fluff-wise it just wouldn't make any sense in my army that is lead by a lowly Captain who proved himself at Calth, and not some XIIIth Legion Hero/Chapter Master. :tongue.:

This coupled with the fact I don't really like their MK III models just leaves me with an internal conflict regarding them. 

Can anybody put my mind to rest with this ridiculous problem I have with them, as it pains me every time I try to make an army list.

That's fair enough! It's your game of toy soldiers!

Personally I'd prefer them in MKIV but we can't have it all!

As it stands I love the models and think they add to the whole "Romans

in space" theme. They're probably the unit I enjoyed painting the most.

If it's just the models that are putting you off, there must be a way to convert

some of the new Custodes models with shields, just arm them with power axes!

In game terms I think they're handy but certainly not an auto include.

I suppose everyone has their go to units mine are my Locutarus and Jump Pack

Praetor! (they never fail to earn back the pts invested in them and have saved my

bacon more than once) also I like to use as many of the Legion specific units as

possible as - to me at least - that's where the flavour of the army comes from!

As with everything in the hobby it's all down to personal preference.

You use the models you enjoy playing, painting or writing about!

If you don't want to use them for fluff reasons, don't! And more power to you for putting fluff before WAAC. One of the nice things about Ultramarines, IMO, is that they can fluff-justify nearly any army composition- more so than some other legions. There are other units that can fill the battlefield role of the Suzerains and fit fine in an Ultras army.

Personally, I like the look of the models and they were fun (if a bit tedious at times) to paint. I've seen photos of other people's converted Suzerains in Mk IV around, maybe you could try something similar if the Mk III is holding you back? The Custodes kit might offer some options, and there are good 3rd-party shields around that aren't quite as ornate as the official ones.

Thank you for all your comments, it's nice to hear other peoples thoughts on these types of things!

I think I might eventually attempt to make some MK IV equivalents that hold the same grandeur as the actual models, but until then I guess I'll just keep using the ones that I already have as is. I suppose I may grow to eventually like them, especially if I decide to buy the big guy himself as well!

Tried to quote but alas it isn't working for me. If you want to convert some MKIV Suzerains, I'd suggest collecting the appropriate number of Legatine Axes from bits sites while waiting for Forgeworld to release the upcoming Ultramarines boarding Shields set. Then combine them with your choice of MKIV pieces, maybe with some Red Scorpions Honour Guard pieces for that elite look? Just some ideas :-)

My brother Ultramarines, I have a theoretical: 

Other than armies themed around them, or possibly in Zone Mortalis, are Terminators just not worth taking for us? Suzerains do it all better in close combat, and you can find more point efficient firepower elsewhere. 

Other than armies themed around them, or possibly in Zone Mortalis, are Terminators just not worth taking for us? Suzerains do it all better in close combat, and you can find more point efficient firepower elsewhere.

Perhaps, though they have their uses. I've tried an Orbital Assault termy army with Guilliman that was quite fun. Suzies are just over the fence of 'too good' imo, but I shan't complain. :P

I've been thinking the same thing. Fulmentarus could bring something unique, but they're extremely expensive.

I could imagine a role for a Cataphractii squad as a short- medium-range shooting threat to hold objectives. When you just need something to park on a spot and be extremely tough to shift.

Tartaros look pretty bad in comparison to Suzerains, for sure.

• 2 months later...

*enters the room, pushing aside heavy curtains of spider webs and unsettling dunes of dust with every purposeful stride*

*"I wonder if Roboute's book includes a chapter on housekeeping?", he mutters under his breath.*

Ahem, sorry to interrupt your slumber, brothers, but I was wondering how many Thunder Hammers you take in your Suzerain squads? :D

Any one else thought of the asking a Santic Librarian to go with an ultra force, yes they are support officers but a librarian in a suzerian squad would be extremely nice especially if rolling sanctuary or hammer hand to buff the suzerain like crazy would be even more crazier if joined by Roboute

*enters the room, pushing aside heavy curtains of spider webs and unsettling dunes of dust with every purposeful stride*

*"I wonder if Roboute's book includes a chapter on housekeeping?", he mutters under his breath.*

Ahem, sorry to interrupt your slumber, brothers, but I was wondering how many Thunder Hammers you take in your Suzerain squads? :biggrin.:

I take 1 in 5 usually. Normally don't have the points for more. Never take plasma pistols except in friendly games, and maybe Zone Mortalis.

You're planning on stealing them for the 20th, aren't you.......:ohmy.:

Any one else thought of the asking a Santic Librarian to go with an ultra force, yes they are support officers but a librarian in a suzerian squad would be extremely nice especially if rolling sanctuary or hammer hand to buff the suzerain like crazy would be even more crazier if joined by Roboute

You cannot roll daemonology with the typical Librarian. Magnus has access to Sanctic, and Word Bearers have access to Malefic, but otherwise Daemonology is not an established discipline during Crusade/Heresy.

Ahem, sorry to interrupt your slumber, brothers, but I was wondering how many Thunder Hammers you take in your Suzerain squads? :biggrin.:

I take 1 in 5 usually. Normally don't have the points for more. Never take plasma pistols except in friendly games, and maybe Zone Mortalis.

Of course not, I am a loyal scion of Omeg...uilliman.

:whistling: 

Hey guys, I'm trying to get my buddy to start 30k with me. He's a big Ultramarine fan and will only play if there's a good/cool way to use Gulliman. He asked me to make a list for him, and this is what I came up with. It doesn't really make use of LA: Ultra, but it makes heavy use of (IMO) two of the best legion specific units in Gulliman and the Suzerains. Let me know what you think

2500 Ultramarines

HQ

Cenuturion - Chaplain, Tartaros, Chainfist, Power Sword (free with Chaplain upgrade)

Elites

Contemptor - Chainfist, Kheres

Troops
8 Suzerains - 1 Thunder Hammer

Fast Attack
Dreadclaw
Dreadclaw
Dreadclaw

Heavy Support
Deredeo - Aiolos
Vindicator - Laser Destroyer

Lord of War
Roboute Gulliman

That leaves me at 2335. Need something for the 3rd Dreadclaw, ideally a scoring unit. Not sure to go with
9 man support squad with flamer or volkite
Tactical squad and have some extra points
Veteran squad with some extra guys or goodies
Drop a Suzerain for a Terminator squad

Basically, the two Suzerains, one with Gulliman and one with the Chaplain drop in and zoom, prepping for a turn 2 charge. Contemptors (who get Implacable Advance of Tank Hunters) move into midfield. Deredeo on AA and anti-light tank. Vindicators on anti medium-heavy tank. If beneficial, the Vindies can take Implacable Advance over the Dreads. Third pod is on mopup/objective duty.

Thoughts on the list and how to best spend the last few points?

Edited by Angmarred

You cannot roll daemonology with the typical Librarian. Magnus has access to Sanctic, and Word Bearers have access to Malefic, but otherwise Daemonology is not an established discipline during Crusade/Heresy.

Of course not, I am a loyal scion of Omeg...uilliman.

:whistling:

Really ??? In the legion armylist book on pg 19 under the librarian consul it says that a single discipline from the warhammer 40000 rule book is chosen which Santic is part of . It then states that "Malefic" daemonolgy psychic powers are not available to any model with psychic powers other than models with the legion astartes word bearers rules and traitor faction. I just assumed since it specifically calls out Malefic and doesn't state all Daemonology psychic powers that all legion psyker a can easily and leagally take Santic powers otherwise why does it only call out Malefic powers being unable to be taken I'd they meant all daemonolgy powers

Hey guys, I'm trying to get my buddy to start 30k with me. He's a big Ultramarine fan and will only play if there's a good/cool way to use Gulliman. He asked me to make a list for him, and this is what I came up with. It doesn't really make use of LA: Ultra, but it makes heavy use of (IMO) two of the best legion specific units in Gulliman and the Suzerains. Let me know what you think

2500 Ultramarines

HQ

Cenuturion - Chaplain, Tartaros, Chainfist, Power Sword (free with Chaplain upgrade)

Elites

Troops

Fast Attack

Dreadclaw

Dreadclaw

Dreadclaw

Heavy Support

Deredeo - Aiolos

Lord of War

Roboute Gulliman

That leaves me at 2335. Need something for the 3rd Dreadclaw, ideally a scoring unit. Not sure to go with

9 man support squad with flamer or volkite

Tactical squad and have some extra points

Veteran squad with some extra guys or goodies

Drop a Suzerain for a Terminator squad

Basically, the two Suzerains, one with Gulliman and one with the Chaplain drop in and zoom, prepping for a turn 2 charge. Contemptors (who get Implacable Advance of Tank Hunters) move into midfield. Deredeo on AA and anti-light tank. Vindicators on anti medium-heavy tank. If beneficial, the Vindies can take Implacable Advance over the Dreads. Third pod is on mopup/objective duty.

Thoughts on the list and how to best spend the last few points?

You want a LOT more troops than that, you really do.

You should be looking at around 30 Marine bodies or more in a 2.5k list.

Also, With Guilliman in the list two Sicarans with Las Cannon Sponsons perform better then Vindicator Laser Destroyers as he grants them both Tank Hunters.

Dropping Dreads is a cool way to play them though.

I'd prefer Guilliman and the Suzerains in a Landraider along with an Apothecary and a Chaplain.

Edited by Ishagu

Thanks for the quick reply Isha. Let me address some of your points.

The list posted is 165 short so it really has 8-10 more bodies depending on how I spend it (tacs, support or vets), so with the Suzerain's that's 26-28 marine bodies.

IMO one of the benefits of Gillian is his ability to grant Implacable Advance making it less necessary to load up on scoring units. I only have 3 to start so in any objective based mission I'll give Is to the Contemptor or the Vindies. So I really can't plan to give TH to a HAS choice unless I add more scoring.

The dreads aren't dropping. They're walking. The Pods carry the 2 Suzerain squads and my third scoring unit.

Why do you prefer that setup? The Dreadclaws get a combat unit close turn 1 so even if the transport is busted they are still in a position for a turn 2 charge. The Claws are cheaper than a Land Raider. I have two squads so less Death Star-y, and less susceptible to the various anti-DS stuff most lists bring. With Gulliman and the Chaplain in separate squads I have two assault threats that can both pop tanks/dreads and are fearless. I agree that apothecaries would be nice, but it's 20 points to gain 5+ FNP and lose a Suzerain attack. Not sure that's worth it.