[HH1.0] 30k Ultramarines tactics

GreyCrow

I wouldn't upgrade them with ranged weapons at all, and probably ignore the deepstriking bonus. I'd simply start them on the board, accompanied by a Jump pack Praetor with Thunder Hammer and a jump pack apothecary :-)

I hadn't really thought about that as an option, I tend to see special rules and fixate on using them. But I like this idea an awful lot. It even fits in more with (fluff) wise what I wanted. Elite assault options.

They could work as a small unit that arrives late. Drop down, double tap and get ready to go cleaning in the backline.

This is a cool idea as well. Is the min for a regular assault 5 or 10? Might just have to test it anyway.

Hey guys,

I think I might have finally come up with a 2000 point list using the Armoured Breakthrough RoW that I am happy with, and it is all thanks to the points drop on Seekers and the awesome new Master of Armour!

HQ

Master of Armour - Sicaran with Lascannons, Dozer Blade & Ceramite

TROOPS

Predators x2 - Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Predators x2 - Lascannon Sponsons

Tactical Support Squad x10 - Volkite Calivers, Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Rhino

FAST ATTACK

Javelins x2 - 4x Hunter-killer Missiles

Seekers x10 - Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Rhino

HEAVY SUPPORT

Predator - Executioner Plasma Cannon, Dozer Blades, Lascannon Sponsons

Vindicators x2 - Laser Destroyer Arrays, Dozer Blades

Sicaran Venator - Dozer Blades

Anti-infantry is covered by the Support Squad and Dakka Preds. AP2 is provided by the Seekers (the new Scorpius rounds are nasty) and the Executioner Pred. The Javelins and Lascannon Preds can focus on transports, and the other tanks (LDA Vindis, MoA Sicaran and the Venator) can look after the heavier stuff.

I guess my only question is how well does this mesh with the UM LA rules? The Seekers and Support Squad will no doubt benefit from the Rhino's lighting up their targets, but I wonder if I'm not better of splitting those Predators into separate Troops units so that they can benefit from each others shooting?

Edited by exsanguis

Unfortunately, non-Legiones Astartes units do not benefit from Interlocking Tactics, they only enable the rule. That means the Support Squad is the only unit gaining a benefit from it in the whole army! But that was always likely to happen with an Ultras Armoured Breakthrough list. :)

List looks good though!

That Seeker unit is bad. No combi-weapons == no point to the unit.

Totally disagree. The new special ammo is great, as is the old stuff.

It's another scoring unit that gets preferred enemy against a target too, keeping them cheap is a fun way to run them without getting top heavy with Combis :)

That Seeker unit is bad. No combi-weapons == no point to the unit.

Totally disagree. The new special ammo is great, as is the old stuff.

It's another scoring unit that gets preferred enemy against a target too, keeping them cheap is a fun way to run them without getting top heavy with Combis :smile.:

Aye. Their primary purpose is anti-TEQ. Considering how great Scorpius bolts are now, I see little reason to dump points into combi-plasma for them all. Yeh they will wound a bit better, but against T4 S5 with Shred is plenty anyway. They also become less of a target and will hopefully get off more than one round of shooting before being annihilated. Kraken bolts allow them to reach out to 30" as well, though only at S4 AP4.

They are relatively short ranged, cannot move and fire, and have to disembark (thus not firing that turn). They are way too expensive for what you're trying to do. There are at least a dozen better options for killing TEQ at 200 points.

Just a shame the AP2 rounds are heavy - how would you get them deployed without them being blasted? (I can't remember if leaving a transport counts as moving ...)

Just a shame the AP2 rounds are heavy - how would you get them deployed without them being blasted? (I can't remember if leaving a transport counts as moving ...)

It does.

The only realistic way you could deploy them without moving is Infiltrate and/or Scout.

It does.

The only realistic way you could deploy them without moving is Infiltrate and/or Scout.

Thanks Slips :) guess I could look into a Vigilator for the Scout move then! They might make a nice little spiky speedbump for my mates Gal Vorbak.. 

You can always fire 2 rounds out of a rhino's firepoints I think. I can't remember if they count as relentless or not.

Either way I've never used my SW seekers as TEQ hunters, but rather horde shredders. 10 s3 ap6 small blasts with or without preferred enemy WILL do significant damage to all those rending/zealot levis my bro's word bearer's field.

Yeah, the Vigilator also has Sniper and an SIA Bolter so he kinda fits in with the squad.

If you can get within 24" with a Scout Move to blast something with Scorpius, go for it but I wouldnt expect it to be all that amazing in avaerage setups.

Its why I'll probably still run mine with Combi-Plas in a vehicle: get across the board asap, blast something and if any of them somehow survive the return fire and have another target nearby, Scorpius that.

Thanks Slips :) guess I could look into a Vigilator for the Scout move then! They might make a nice little spiky speedbump for my mates Gal Vorbak..

Yay, 300 points for 3 fragile kill points that situationally shoot terminator killing rounds. Or, ya know, a Phosphex Battery. :D

I know rule of cool and all that, but I don't find stuff that does little and then dies cool no matter what they look like on the table. :P

Thanks Slips :smile.: guess I could look into a Vigilator for the Scout move then! They might make a nice little spiky speedbump for my mates Gal Vorbak..

Yay, 300 points for 3 fragile kill points that situationally shoot terminator killing rounds. Or, ya know, a Phosphex Battery. :biggrin.:

I know rule of cool and all that, but I don't find stuff that does little and then dies cool no matter what they look like on the table. :tongue.:

Alas if I had the money for a phosphex battery ;) £30 a launcher is a bit silly... 

Did my post of the cheap alternative get deleted ....?

the ebay sale you linked to was ended. So I wouldn't be surprised if a mod just removed that post.

Anyway what are people's thoughts on running twin malcadors with Guilliman? Seeing as a Mal is just 75 pts more than a fully kitted sicaran, maybe there's some opportunity there. Though it's probably isn't even something to consider until ~3000 points or so.

There are like a dozen bits manufacturers that have quad mortars for like 10 quid a pop.

Care to share some links? I for one am quite interested in reasonably priced QM's.