Electro Priests

I've seen a few people mention Empire Flagellants as ideal for conversions. Just curious what you're doing with them, exactly. Are you simply taking the leftover bits from the electro priest box, attaching them to the flagellants, and painting electoos on their skin? I'm terrible at conversion work.

I've seen a few people mention Empire Flagellants as ideal for conversions. Just curious what you're doing with them, exactly. Are you simply taking the leftover bits from the electro priest box, attaching them to the flagellants, and painting electoos on their skin? I'm terrible at conversion work.

I did exactly that... looks ok, is simple and I got 10 Fulgurite / Corpuscari out of 2 E-Priest boxes and 1 Flagellants

I did exactly that... looks ok, is simple and I got 10 Fulgurite / Corpuscari out of 2 E-Priest boxes and 1 Flagellants

Thanks DeStinyFish, I may have to try this. Do you find converting Flagellants into Fulgurite or Corpuscari better looking or easier, or no real difference?

I've ordered a box of Flagellants to work in with the set of five Electropriests that come in the big £100 box. Not started them yet, but my idea is to make them look more haphazard, disordered and... individual.

An individual electropriest might, err, congregate with others, but they're also still the evangelisers of Mars. 

*doorbell explodes*

"Do you have time to talk about the Omnissiah?"

*bzzzt*

"The motive force compels you to ask us in and take this leaflet."

*hands over leaflet made of rubber, barges in and shorts out your house until you commit to sending your children to Electroschool on SunSystemsdays*

To that end, I want them to look more pilgrim-y and also more disordered. (So more 'shouty beard on a soapbox', less 'two black suits knocking on your suburban door mid afternoon'.)

More, I want them to look less obviously bedecked in weird crap. Some might have a big staff, some might have mad hands, some might carry impractical power-pack relics, but the bulk  but as a whole they should look less 'each member of this unit has X', more... jumbled.

Whether it'll actually work or not is something I'm a bit worried about, e.g. if the pieces actually fit neatly or if I'm going to have to learn new skills.

Either way, should be fun.

I've ordered a box of Flagellants to work in with the set of five Electropriests that come in the big £100 box. Not started them yet, but my idea is to make them look more haphazard, disordered and... individual.

An individual electropriest might, err, congregate with others, but they're also still the evangelisers of Mars. 

*doorbell explodes*

"Do you have time to talk about the Omnissiah?"

*bzzzt*

"The motive force compels you to ask us in and take this leaflet."

*hands over leaflet made of rubber, barges in and shorts out your house until you commit to sending your children to Electroschool on SunSystemsdays*

To that end, I want them to look more pilgrim-y and also more disordered. (So more 'shouty beard on a soapbox', less 'two black suits knocking on your suburban door mid afternoon'.)

More, I want them to look less obviously bedecked in weird crap. Some might have a big staff, some might have mad hands, some might carry impractical power-pack relics, but the bulk  but as a whole they should look less 'each member of this unit has X', more... jumbled.

Whether it'll actually work or not is something I'm a bit worried about, e.g. if the pieces actually fit neatly or if I'm going to have to learn new skills.

Either way, should be fun.

I so wanna see that unit when it's done. 

Based on the conversations here, I still want to try sculpting some frailer-looking torsos and arms. I feel like it'll be a fairly simple sculpting job since I should be able to use most of the existing kit. I need to brush up on my GS skills, though. 

would Wracks be another kit to consider using? The Flayed appearance might be too obviously Dark Eldar but looking sickly with unnatural muscle growth might make them a worthwhile source for parts? I'm not sure how far you could go before it just becomes a confused mish-mash though.

I had actually thought of Chaos Marauders before someone mentioned Flagellants. I like the idea of Flagellants because they're newer miniatures and better looking, but also because they look more haggard and fit my vision of Fulgurites better. Shoes are a waste of energy. Fix my torn shirt? Waste of energy.

I just built my first set of Fulgurites, and I have to say, I like those models. I don't get the complaints. I just wish they had rules that would make them fun to play with, because as it is I doubt they'll hit the table top (maybe just to make myself use them). The corpuscarii don't look as nice to me, which is why I went Fulgurite, but I'll build some of them eventually, too.

It really seems to me though that the names should be switched. Fulgur means lightning and corpus means body, so it seems like a mistake was made somewhere along the line...

Very nice work, DF!  Great paintjob, too.  How hard do you think it'll be to duplicate these results?

Very easy !

Just a little bit of green stuff on the shoulder joints and the backpacks and cutting off of cables here and there...

But they are smaller than the original ones. I maybe can post pictures to compare tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been starting progress on the flagellant/priest conversion, and it's had me thinking...

---

Notes and thoughts in preparation for a treatise on the topic: The problem with a unit entirely composed of priests, and sort-of with the Cult Mechanicus in general.

In short: it's weird to me (and has been for a while) that the Adeptus Mechanicus is mostly represented by the actually priests of the cult, not the laymen and the devotees.

We somewhat avoid this in 40k with the Skitarii, and I'm really happy they're a big, pretty fully fledged stand-alone force. Not perfect (I'd like to see transports for alternate fighting styles, but just going unbound with Rhinos & Land Raiders would more-or-less cut it, in the short term), but pretty established as it is.

For the Machine Cult itself, however, we've only got a teeny glimpse at all it's permutations. The robots are cool enough (and have really grown on me since release), the battle servitors are long-expected, but there's other details I'd really love to see: the smaller 'extensions of our purpose' servitors, the lesser priests than the dominus (of which the Electropriests definitely fulfil a role!).

But there's other things too, the wackier extensions to existing vehicles, more of the exotic tech of the Imperium as ludicrously more 'standard' for them - void weaponry, vortex tech, rad grenades, conversion beamers etc.

All that's really cool.

But even then there's something still sitting outside of it all - that'd all still have been more-or-less 'inside the ranks' of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Where's the devoted throngs? The indentured labourers, the vulcanised-rubber armoured mobs ready to lay down life in defence of the temple of their existence, the aspirants and the technodemagogues?

It's that, in part, what's led me to make aim for my electropriests to be more... anarchic... yeah, anarchic than the rest of the range. But all the while I'm thinking on them, i've got vague notions for a sect of 'venerated laymen' in the form of an elite unit of Sicarians - who're on the cusp of being priests in their own right. Machine monks, perhaps. Not quite the normal form of priest, but still part of the... clergy? (Are monks part of the clergy? I don't actually know.)

Anyway, there's all that, and beyond. Each time my mind turns to my machine priests, inexorably afterwards comes the idea of the machine flocks. It's to that end that I'm genuinely convinced I want my least-Xenos-looking Genestealer Cult & Lost and the Damned forces to look very similar, to be able to double up as a force of... Machine Cultists. I'm even tempted to revisit the colours of my Imperial Guard to achieve a similar effect, but being somewhat lazy, I probably will only daydream of it.

Having said all that, or at least thought it, it also brought me close to another realisation:

I quite fancy my conversions to be something of  'lesser' flock of electro priests. Or more properly: a flock with only a handful of priests within. Perhaps some novice priests, but maybe only one or two advanced priests, and the rest being a flock of electroseminarians, devotees, aspirants and even just wandering electoo-bearers that have been press-ganged or brainwashed or otherwise convinced into joining the little horde. 

Edit: In my mind I have them a bit like the Slayers of the Old World - only a few of them are 'characters' with the full-fledged tech priest rules (+character), but all of them are oddballs, even within 40k. I'm not sure how I'd try to mechanically model that unit, but it fits nicely in my head, at very least.

----

I should probably keep an eye out for some of the old Bretonian Grail-Pilgrims too, whilst I'm at it...

Archived