Electro Priests

According to the information here: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/05/cult-mechanicus-1st-formation-arrives-more-rules.html

you only need 1 HQ and 2 Troops to get the congregation, and thus contribute to the combined detachment rules.

So you need a Techpriest Dominus and 2 squads of Kataphrons. No Electro Priests required.

Edit: And since all units in the combined formation get canticles, all units seem to contribute to the strength of the canticles.

Edit 2: if you have a battle congregation, all your canticles are at fulls strength regardless of number of units, so... herpaderp

According to the information here: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/05/cult-mechanicus-1st-formation-arrives-more-rules.html

you only need 1 HQ and 2 Troops to get the congregation, and thus contribute to the combined detachment rules.

So you need a Techpriest Dominus and 2 squads of Kataphrons. No Electro Priests required.

So? What if we actually want to play Elektro Priests? ;)

Corpuscarii, their shooting is actually really good just good luck getting there.

Plus if you can get max canticles you can give them a 3+ cover save

I was thinking that. They are a bit more flexible than the Fuguritii.

Is there any known Special Issue Wargear for the Dominus that can help the Elektro Priests? 

According to the information here: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/05/cult-mechanicus-1st-formation-arrives-more-rules.html

So? What if we actually want to play Elektro Priests? msn-wink.gif

Then I hope that you enjoy them. And that you are not your household's primary decision maker :P

According to the information here: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/05/cult-mechanicus-1st-formation-arrives-more-rules.html

So? What if we actually want to play Elektro Priests? msn-wink.gif

Corpuscarii, their shooting is actually really good just good luck getting there.

Plus if you can get max canticles you can give them a 3+ cover save

I was thinking that. They are a bit more flexible than the Fuguritii.

Is there any known Special Issue Wargear for the Dominus that can help the Elektro Priests?

only one bit of war gear will do them any favors from a dominus in the unit, and it more jsut helps the domi. Give him more attacks at str 4 and shred. It'd be best to keep the domi away from these guy.

only one bit of war gear will do them any favors from a dominus in the unit, and it more jsut helps the domi. Give him more attacks at str 4 and shred. It'd be best to keep the domi away from these guy.

Hrm, not that great then. 

Well, I think I will then just go for having a group of the Corpuscarii moving through cover and when the opporunity arises blast enemies while yelling "Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt" :D

Maybe have Fulguritii on mop-up duty, but they will come later. A lot later. Maybe there is something cool in the codex (story or so) that will inspire me to take them.

Hrm, not that great then.

Well, I think I will then just go for having a group of the Corpuscarii moving through cover and when the opporunity arises blast enemies while yelling "Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt" biggrin.png

Maybe have Fulguritii on mop-up duty, but they will come later. A lot later. Maybe there is something cool in the codex (story or so) that will inspire me to take them.

Honestly, i'd have them start mid fieldish and have them screne your whole army to give them 2+ cover save with the canticles. Then just have them run full bore the first turn down a clear lane. This way they still get that nice 4+ save and have a better chance of making it into range on turn 2

There is a canticle with this effect leaked:

1-3 In CC, every enemy unit receives a S4 at I10 hit for every Cult model in this combat
4-7 Same as above, but 2 hits per Cult model
8+ Same as above but 3 hits

I think this is where the priests will get a fair bit of their worth, as long as this holds true with the per model part in combat. In a large cult army this could be quite terrifying.

Priests seems to be the go to unit for creating large cult armies, bringing both more units and bodies to the cult, outside of the WD skit/knight/cult formation ofc.

I can see the worth is most formations and detachments from the new codex, but I think the base detachment allowing for 2 uses of the same canticle benefits priests more, than the actual priest formation. With possibly using shroud+stealth 2 turns in a row, they might just make it into melee. They are still at a major disadvantage mobility wise, but I like the idea of just that one game, where you get at least 10 of either type of them into a succesful charge, resulting in 10xhammer of wrath at S4, then +30xstr4 I10 hits. 

That canticle is surely made with priests in made at least, however people figure out to use it to the greatest effect. I am still very much undecided if I should get any priests. Guess this is a case of a proxy game or 2 when the book arrives, and see how it plays.

1-3 In CC, every enemy unit receives a S4 at I10 hit for every Cult model in this combat

4-7 Same as above, but 2 hits per Cult model

8+ Same as above but 3 hits

too bad it doesn't synergize with the cropuscarii shock rule for >9000 hits per model.

It is actually even more benefitial to vanguard in a war convocation, since they reduce T and cost only HALF the points of electro-priests. 

But after all, it's just a ONE trick pony (2 with the cult formation), it's not going to solve any problems.

Well, to be fair I don't see the Elektro-Priests as anything else than a fun unit for some cool moments. 

Honestly, i'd have them start mid fieldish and have them screne your whole army to give them 2+ cover save with the canticles. Then just have them run full bore the first turn down a clear lane. This way they still get that nice 4+ save and have a better chance of making it into range on turn 2

Hmm, maybe. Deploy them up front and spend 2 turns running?

1-3 In CC, every enemy unit receives a S4 at I10 hit for every Cult model in this combat4-7 Same as above, but 2 hits per Cult model8+ Same as above but 3 hits

too bad it doesn't synergize with the cropuscarii shock rule for >9000 hits per model.

It is actually even more benefitial to vanguard in a war convocation, since they reduce T and cost only HALF the points of electro-priests. 

But after all, it's just a ONE trick pony (2 with the cult formation), it's not going to solve any problems.

Sure vanguards with canticles is neat, but only one unit can fit into the formation which I still think waters the formation down a lot. Further more the gaultlet priest have shock to get even more attack from the canticle not to mention higher strength. Also the staff has instant death. So I mean its a rather silly comparison to make.

Well, to be fair I don't see the Elektro-Priests as anything else than a fun unit for some cool moments. 

Hmm, maybe. Deploy them up front and spend 2 turns running?

Nah with the gaulet guns you spend one turn running, and use the cover save to keep them alive. Then use the second turn to try to get a few :cusss in. As I've said in range 5 priest out out more meq wounds than vanguards. Then by the third turn you make get a charge.

You take many small units to protect your canticle buffs so your army gets full buffed canticles for most of the game. Taking out a 5 man squad with out to much I've kill is pretty cringe worthy. If you shoot at the unit and leave 1 or 2 priest. You'd be really sad commuting a second unit to the cause

Nah with the gaulet guns you spend one turn running, and use the cover save to keep them alive. Then use the second turn to try to get a few :cusss in. As I've said in range 5 priest out out more meq wounds than vanguards. Then by the third turn you make get a charge.

You take many small units to protect your canticle buffs so your army gets full buffed canticles for most of the game. Taking out a 5 man squad with out to much I've kill is pretty cringe worthy. If you shoot at the unit and leave 1 or 2 priest. You'd be really sad commuting a second unit to the cause

So multiple small unit of the Shooty Priests would be better than a big unit? 

gaultlet priest have shock to get even more attack from the canticle

that is incorrect. shock generates additional attacks on to-hit-rolls of 6 when making attacks with the gauntlets, neither of which applies to additional hits (no roll required) from the canticle.

Multiple small units will help you achieve at least 2 things, first of it gives more targets for the opponent, making it easier for you to counter charge and gives more flexibility, they are fearless anyway so they don't run the same risks of being MSU as other types of units. Second having more units help buff canticles, which is of course a nice thing, so having 4x5 man units will bring way more buffing power than having 2x10 man units. 

I would very much like to hear ideas on what larger squads will be able to provide for the priests.

I really love these models, I just HAVE to use them.
Im thinking a squad of 10-20 with the gauntlets, and putting them in some sort of transport (30k mechanicum one comes to mind)
I might just get the Dominus in the same unit to give them a "tank" in the front and also help with vehicles since it seems he gets haywire on his attacks.

Multiple small units will help you achieve at least 2 things, first of it gives more targets for the opponent, making it easier for you to counter charge and gives more flexibility, they are fearless anyway so they don't run the same risks of being MSU as other types of units. Second having more units help buff canticles, which is of course a nice thing, so having 4x5 man units will bring way more buffing power than having 2x10 man units. 

I would very much like to hear ideas on what larger squads will be able to provide for the priests.

Larger units have the benefit of being a bit more resilent and more destructive on the battlefield. They do have clear disadvantages though. I agree that the Corpuscarii have more benefits from smaller units. 

The Fulgurites however have more benefits from larger units, as they are close combat focussed, and need to wipe an unit in order to claim their 3++. So having a larger unit means they can survive longer to claim that save. (Aim for the transports) 

I'd guess that their high cost is tied to the canticles rule. If they costed what they 'should' they'd be too spamable, so to speak. Note that this would not make the priests better designed, it would mean that the canticles is badly executed...

On another note, am I the only one that thinks chaos when I see them? They look like rogue psykers, they act like rogue psykers "must devour souls/steal motive force!" Shoot lightning vs shoot psychic lightning? Practically the same. They even have a typically daemonic 5++ save and near-fearlessness :)

Who are they? Why do they roam around sucking energy from everyone? Sounds more like dark mechanicus/chaos to me :)

I have to agree with the consensus that the models are pretty cool, but I still can't see a way to use them from a competitive standpoint.  Their lack of mobility is a huge issue that not one of their special rules can overcome, and an allied transport would probably get more value from Skitarii or Sicarians.  The formation is nice, but requiring you to take so many Fulgurites makes me sad because they're easily the worst unit in Cult Mechanicus.  The Corpuscarii aren't quite as awful thanks to the torrent of BS4 shooting they can throw, but again, they need a transport to do much of anything and the lack of anti-armor capability is a severe issue for them.

Long story short, if you need to kill massed enemy units (Orks, IG, Nids), we already have Skitarii Vanguard, and these guys aren't limited to only this role thanks to their special weapon choices.

I'd guess that their high cost is tied to the canticles rule. If they costed what they 'should' they'd be too spamable, so to speak. Note that this would not make the priests better designed, it would mean that the canticles is badly executed...

On another note, am I the only one that thinks chaos when I see them? They look like rogue psykers, they act like rogue psykers "must devour souls/steal motive force!" Shoot lightning vs shoot psychic lightning? Practically the same. They even have a typically daemonic 5++ save and near-fearlessness smile.png

Who are they? Why do they roam around sucking energy from everyone? Sounds more like dark mechanicus/chaos to me smile.png

nope youre not the only one :)

On another note, am I the only one that thinks chaos when I see them? They look like rogue psykers, they act like rogue psykers "must devour souls/steal motive force!" Shoot lightning vs shoot psychic lightning? Practically the same. They even have a typically daemonic 5++ save and near-fearlessness :)

Who are they? Why do they roam around sucking energy from everyone? Sounds more like dark mechanicus/chaos to me :)

nope youre not the only one :)

Good :)

Still, they sound like they should be mandatory for anyone making dark mechanicus :)

Well after seeing the new art for the Electro Priests I basically have to use them now, they just look too cool not to. I'm going to try a squad of 10 with a Tech Priest to provide the stasis field for them and then use the canticle that gives fearless to allow them to charge the next turn. I prefer the look of the Fulgarites better and I like their gimmick a little more, but the shooting from the gauntlet guys will be too good to pass up.

This will be restricted to fun games of course, unless they massively out perform my expectations I can't see myself ever bringing them to our local tournament games.

Well after seeing the new art for the Electro Priests I basically have to use them now, they just look too cool not to. I'm going to try a squad of 10 with a Tech Priest to provide the stasis field for them and then use the canticle that gives fearless to allow them to charge the next turn. I prefer the look of the Fulgarites better and I like their gimmick a little more, but the shooting from the gauntlet guys will be too good to pass up.

This will be restricted to fun games of course, unless they massively out perform my expectations I can't see myself ever bringing them to our local tournament games.

Go to Ground won't work, as the Elektro Priests are Zealot. 

I don't go to tournaments anyway, so that doesn't matter for me. They seem quite fun to use though.

That go to ground trick works well if you can recover immediately after, which only IG can do with their orders. The penalty for going to ground is too big for an army that thrives on overwhelming shooting. This piece of wargear seems a bit like a trap to me, to be fair. Better to lose a few wounds but fire at full effect than lose less but not being able to fire. AdMech is an offensive army. You do not have the appropriate shenanigans to play defensively.

Go to Ground won't work, as the Elektro Priests are Zealot.

I don't go to tournaments anyway, so that doesn't matter for me. They seem quite fun to use though.

Damn I forgot about that....oh well I guess they will just march up and get slaughtered then msn-wink.gif

That go to ground trick works well if you can recover immediately after, which only IG can do with their orders. The penalty for going to ground is too big for an army that thrives on overwhelming shooting. This piece of wargear seems a bit like a trap to me, to be fair. Better to lose a few wounds but fire at full effect than lose less but not being able to fire. AdMech is an offensive army. You do not have the appropriate shenanigans to play defensively.

Well if a unit becomes fearless they can't go to ground, so if they are already gone to ground it just gets cancelled. Once a unit has recovered from gone to ground they act as normal, so if you can make them fearless at the start of your movement phase they will act as if they hadn't gone to ground. From the end of the entry for fearless in the brb: "If a unit has Gone to Ground and then gains the Fearless special rule, all the effects of Go to Ground are immediately cancelled."

Assuming you have enough units to take advantage of the Fearless Canticle you could possibly get 2 free turns of 2++ for a unit...other than for the Electro Priests of course ;)

Archived