Electro Priests

I'l likely grab some, just because the fisty-shooty ones look good, but AdMech as a whole seems to be weakest in its Elite slots.

Like almost every faction in existance.

Blood angels have god elites

I said 'almost'.

For these Electro-Priests.  Could they be used "effectively" (I say that vaguely) as a counter-charge unit?  In my experiences both Rangers and Vanguards crumble like nothing to any sort of melee-centric unit.  Since I'm guessing that some form of priest unit will be necessary in either a sought after Cult Mechanicus formation or their primary detachment.  This may serve as a mediocre use for them so one may not feel like they are a total waste.

Just a thought.

I will likely get enough to make two, ten man squads (one of each).  Please note that I will take my time to collect them, based on their stats I'm in no rush to collect these two units.

Couldn't you do the same thing with fist-equipped Kastelans?  For the points:

Kastelan Maniple:  290

16 Corpuscarii Electro-Priests:  288

In terms of pure Wounds, the Priests have 16 to the Kastelan's 8.  But the Kastelans have the same 5+ Invulnerable save (to shooting), can handle ANY threat in CC thanks to S10, and can work anti-horde with their Cognis Flamers.  The only advantage the Electro-Priests have is torrent of fire, but for that cost you could get 29 Skitarii Vanguard (who shoot WAY better and at longer range, and can take special weapons to deal with specific targets).

I think what kills the Electro-Priests (beyond their ridiculous overcosting, they should seriously be no more than 12 ppm) is their lack of flexibility.  They have no anti-armor and will struggle to hurt MC/GC.  Just a few nice upgrades could have really helped (like some kind of Haywire attack or Poisoned Weapons even).

You forgot to mention that Kastelans have T7, which makes them immune to virtually anything below S6 and only S7 upwards becomes decently effective with only S8 or above being reliable. Priests fold when S4 guns give them a stern look.

Also,

Kastellan Maniple: £33.50 with standard 20% discount (assuming it's two robots and a datasmith, so one box)

20 Priests (the amount you'd have to buy): £80 with discount.....

Clear winner here in both wallet and points.

Yeah the Electro-Priests are overcosted in the game and real-life (is this a first for 40k?). It's sad because if they were a reasonable price (say 25 bucks a box), I wouldn't have a problem with picking up a box or two just to have around.

Interestingly, you'll notice that Sicarians are pricier than Electro-Priests for the same model count, but noone seemed to complain when they dropped. I wonder why this is? huh.png

Yeah the Electro-Priests are overcosted in the game and real-life (is this a first for 40k?). It's sad because if they were a reasonable price (say 25 bucks a box), I wouldn't have a problem with picking up a box or two just to have around.

Interestingly, you'll notice that Sicarians are pricier than Electro-Priests for the same model count, but noone seemed to complain when they dropped. I wonder why this is? huh.png

Sicarians actually have a use, though, and while they might not be brilliant for their points they provide a different purpose on the field to the Rangers and Vanguards.

Sicarans are on a bigger Base, so that could be it. They seem elite and worth the extra cost if you get me.

And a box gets you the unit size you're after for the most part. If I were to run priests, I can't imagine only taking 5 - you'd want at least 10 in a unit (stats-wise, if not points-wise, of course).

I don't get why they have the 32mm bases, either.  That gives them a bigger footprint and thus makes them even more vulnerable to Template/Blast attacks, which is not what you want in horde infantry.  It's a very confusing choice.

I don't get why they have the 32mm bases, either.  That gives them a bigger footprint and thus makes them even more vulnerable to Template/Blast attacks, which is not what you want in horde infantry.  It's a very confusing choice.

Because its "cooler" with larger bases. :)

Shooter guys they put out lots of shots and if both could be in range the electro priest would out gun a unit of vanguard by 1 wound meq.

Plus they can shoot and charge in one turn.

How does the basing work anyway? I mean I feel like if you based the on something smaller I'd say you were being a bit of a cheat

I feel like if you based the on something smaller I'd say you were being a bit of a cheat

yeah you're right. Those 5 cultists on 32mm with the other 30 on 25mm sure will give me an unfair advantage. I guess there is no reason to buy them now.

you could always scratch build your own, the wrack models could make a cool looking dark mech version with a little bit of converting :) but yeah still not liking electro-priests that much and formation doesn't seem worth it either.

the wrack models could make a cool looking dark mech version

been there, done that:

http://i.imgur.com/1IzfgKjl.jpg

But yeah, since you'll have to ally in Transports anyway, those duds find good use as thematically fitting counts-as-admech-proxies for your Sanguinary Priest (Genetor Magos?)/SM Scouts (Skitarii Rangers)/IG Conscripts or battle-psykers (Electro-Priests). Magos Coteaz of the Ordo Machina with his Plasma-Servitors propably only needs a funky hat/cowl.

Having seen the codex wart with Elektro Priests striking the unworthy down with lightning, I needed to include some in my army. (zap-zap!)

So I was planning to use 10-15 man unit of 1 order. Would it be best to use Corpuscarii or would Fulguritii be better for this?

The Electro-Priest formation. Definitely helps but is it enough?

- Numinous Maniple
2-3 units of Fulgurite Electro-Priests
2-3 units of Corpuscarii Electo-Priests
If a Corpuscarii unit is at 6" or less of 1 or more Fulgurite unit, they gain +1 shot when firing. If one unit suffers one or more unsaved wounds, it is considered "electrified" until the end of turn.
If a Fulgurite units attacks in CC to an "electrified" unit, they reroll to wound

Having seen the codex wart with Elektro Priests striking the unworthy down with lightning, I needed to include some in my army. (zap-zap!)

So I was planning to use 10-15 man unit of 1 order. Would it be best to use Corpuscarii or would Fulguritii be better for this?

Corpuscarii, their shooting is actually really good just good luck getting there.

Plus if you can get max canticles you can give them a 3+ cover save

Archived