Wishful thinking? (New SM dex)

Morticon

I've now read aphysical copy of the new Space Marine codex.

Theres some cool stuff in there, but nothing thats going to actualy make us any worse.

The one thing I am really envious of is the special rule you get for taking 3 vindicators in one unit.

You replace the 3 large blast and replace it with one Apoloclypse size S10 A1 ignores cover blast. 0_0

Lets see the Eldar jetbike lists stick around after marine players start taking 3 of those in a 1,500 point game. >_<

I'll probably be taking the Whirlwind and Landspeeder formation or at least a triple whirlwind for sure, so great for the points!

Until the FAQ I'll be playing a weird mix!

I do really want those Dread and Scout changes though...

You forgot to ask for a pony.

You can have grav-cannons and squadrons when you share Tactical heavy flamers, overcharged engines, and the good kind of Predator sponson brackets.

Not really too bothered about the Grav Cannons, as you said... Tactical Heavy Flamers/Assault Meltaguns etc etc. But I think the Squadrons and Dread/Scout stats make perfect sense.

Do people actually think  that we will get some sort of FAQ to bring us in line? I was assuming that we would just get left behind, and have to make due with what we have in the meantime. Is there any precedent for a codex to get updated when another one comes out? I can't remember a time, off the top of my head, were that has happened.  

Probably get another Codex in a year anyways, right?

Sent an email to both email addresses as well:

"

Hi,

with the release of the new space marine codex this weekend and the changes to them, will blood angels get an FAQ to bring them in line with these changes? They are afterall Codex: Adeptus Astartes: Blood Angels. So surely all the common units for Blood Angels and Space Marines (and Space Wolves and Dark Angels as well in fairness!) should be brought in line with eachother.

For example, points costs should be the same or similar across the books for identical units (veteran power weapon options for example)

options should be the same (blood angels should surely get access to grav canons as they come in the standard devastator kit that has just been released)

Vehicle squadrons should be an option across the board.

Stat lins should be the same (WS and BS 4 scouts, 4 attack base on dreadnaughts etc)

Surely these armies should be able to use the default adeptus astartes decurions as well (strike force gladius for example)

Some clarification will also be needed on how the codexes interact with eachother in terms of chapter tactics vs army special rules (chapter tactics from two chapters cancel eachother out, so surely chapter tactics and furious charge/red thirst should also cancel eachother out)

FYI, I'd even be fine with an official note saying that units that exist in both codex: Blood angels and codex: space marines use the codex space marines rules, replacing chapter tactics with furious charge/descent of angels. It'd mean purchasing a second book, but it'd be fine.

Thank you in advance for any and all clarification given, I hope to see an errata for blood angels soon, or failing that a small update booklet included in a white dwarf soon.

Regards

Alisdair"

Sent an email to both email addresses as well:

"

Hi,

with the release of the new space marine codex this weekend and the changes to them, will blood angels get an FAQ to bring them in line with these changes? They are afterall Codex: Adeptus Astartes: Blood Angels. So surely all the common units for Blood Angels and Space Marines (and Space Wolves and Dark Angels as well in fairness!) should be brought in line with eachother.

For example, points costs should be the same or similar across the books for identical units (veteran power weapon options for example)

options should be the same (blood angels should surely get access to grav canons as they come in the standard devastator kit that has just been released)

Stat lins should be the same (WS and BS 4 scouts, 4 attack base on dreadnaughts etc)

Surely these armies should be able to use the default adeptus astartes decurions as well (strike force gladius for example)

Some clarification will also be needed on how the codexes interact with eachother in terms of chapter tactics vs army special rules (chapter tactics from two chapters cancel eachother out, so surely chapter tactics and furious charge/red thirst should also cancel eachother out)

FYI, I'd even be fine with an official note saying that units that exist in both codex: Blood angels and codex: space marines use the codex space marines rules, replacing chapter tactics with furious charge/descent of angels. It'd mean purchasing a second book, but it'd be fine.

Thank you in advance for any and all clarification given, I hope to see an errata for blood angels soon, or failing that a small update booklet included in a white dwarf soon.

Regards

Alisdair"

Awesome!

Please keep us informed of the response, if you get one....

*edited for grammar

Do people actually think  that we will get some sort of FAQ to bring us in line? I was assuming that we would just get left behind, and have to make due with what we have in the meantime. Is there any precedent for a codex to get updated when another one comes out? I can't remember a time, off the top of my head, were that has happened.  

Probably get another Codex in a year anyways, right?

DA and BT eventually got a FAQ brining them inline with the 5th ed SM codex. Took years though...

bad news im afraid.

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in to us, although I don’t have great news for you. While the Blood Angels will no doubt get an update of their codex and miniatures at some point in the future, at this time we don’t know when this will be. However, please be aware that the details of future releases are a closely guarded secret at Games Workshop so new content may be in the works, but we don’t have any specific information yet.

Please keep the faith that they haven’t been forgotten about and their time will come one

Games Workshop

North America Customer Services

Please do not delete previous email threads as this will help us serve you better!

i replied saying

Was mostly looming for an errata at least to be honest, the new space marine release effectively made my hundred pounds codex that's just 6 months old redundant.

it sucks quite a bit if we get no update at all as this release has in many areas marginalised our own, but such is life i guess

I got a reply, its not good.

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in to us, although I don’t have great news for you.  While the Blood Angels will no doubt get an update of their codex and miniatures at some point in the future, at this time we don’t know when this will be. However, please be aware that the details of future releases are a closely guarded secret at Games Workshop so new content may be in the works, but we don’t have any specific information yet.

Please keep the faith that they haven’t been forgotten about and their time will come one 

Games Workshop

North America Customer Services

Edit:  Just saw someone else got the same reply 

copy paste response hah

and a further response

Alisdair,

I will make sure that your comments are sent to the appropriate parties as feedback.  However we can not guarantee when or if we will see an FAQ, as we are not part of the team that works on them.  Should you have any other questions please give us a call at 1-800-394-4263 and we will work to get you taken care of.

Thanks,

just a quick question - were ironclad dreads always armour 13 on SIDES? I was under impression that our furioso had the same armour 13/12/10 as ironclad... but ironclad in new marines codex is 13/13/10 thanks in advance

I'm actually considering requesting a refund :P purely on principle, I genuinely feel that the treatment is poor and all it's done is highlight how bad a job a team of developers can do with a ruleset.

our codex would have fit into 6th ed perfectly. But we got it in 7th ed, then right after a completely new mindset was determined for 7th ed, end result being we have a codex that feels no less outdated than any other 6th ed codex already, despite being a mere 6 months old.

also, i sent a slightly modified version of my original email to the UK customer support (Im in the UK afterall... oops)

Hi,

Thank you in advance for any and all clarification given, I hope to see an errata for blood angels soon, or failing that a small update booklet included in a white dwarf soon. The trouble is, without at least a minor update to keep things in line, you'll successfully alienate players of the blood angels (and likely space wolves faction, i know dark angels are due a release anyway) but particularly blood angels seeing as many of them spent a fortune on the last rules update for them... a mere 6 months ago, and now this release has effectively marginalised/invalidated them.

Regards

Alisdair

Here's my email:

Hello!

I was so excited to see you have released an update to the 6th edition Space Marine Codex! When it was released it 18 months ago, I thought it could really use some better stats for scouts, some cool formations and slightly cheaper terminators. Also, good job with the Raven Guard chapter tactics--very cool. So, I'm glad you've tweaked it a bit, and I'm glad to see the rest is essentially the same as always, thank the Emperor!

Oh! Also, I noticed that the parallel entries of scouts and terminators in the Blood Angels codex I bought 6 months ago need to be updated as well, because obviously the rules team couldn't have meant to make Blood Angels scouts be objectively worse or have more expensive terminators. And I guess you forgot to include that decurion thing?

No big deal--where can I send these v1.0 for exchange to the v1.1 of the Codexes? Or, if it's too costly to print new books so soon, I'd totally take a PDF version. I know I paid to have a nice physical copy, but it would be fine having a PDF if it makes it easier for the team to quickly update things without needing to recall physical copies. You can just send the download link to this email. I guess it's just as well that I didn't get the limited editions?

Anyways, it's really great to see Games Workshop is listening to its fans and patching their rules more frequently. Instead of waiting for 4-5 years for a whole new book like has always been the practice in the past, this is much better.

Best,

Thorn

Back in 3rd edition BA got sub codex, so all basic units were in codex Space Marines, and only special units and wargear and so on was on supplement. This would solve many issues, as you would just list divergences to standard rules to create comprehensive BA codex. So tactical squad entry would be - use as codex SM for point cost and  options, replace chapter tactics with furious charge and/or other formations specific rules, BA heavy weapon armory has heavy flamer available for tactical squad. And so on. So all changes in basic stats would automaticaly transfer down... It would even be profitable for GW, as you would need to buy C:SM and BA supplement. But what do I know...

@Inquisitor Eisenhorn - If I remember correctly, back then in third edition there actualy were paches (you could cut them out out of White Dwarf) and glue to replace wrong/updated entry in your codex ;-) So maybe just add ERRATA sheet, cut patches and glue them in apropiate places in codex - problem solved :-) With digital editions it woul be even simplier

They could do the above and also note which units blood angels LOSE access to. I'd be totally fine with a supplement, that's been the case since 3rd ed, supplement was absolutely fine.

All they'd need to do is include our characters and unique units, along with a chapter tactic for us and what we lose access to.

They could do the above and also note which units blood angels LOSE access to.

Okay, imagine they've done that. You lose access to grav-cannons, WS/BS4 Scouts, 4A Dreadnoughts and some other stuff, but gain access to WS/BS3 Scouts, 2A Dreadnoughts, and all your BA junk. To make things easier, they've even bundled the whole thing into one book so you don't need to buy two.

Enjoy!

Archived