Dark Angels rumors. update: Codex leaks, pg 28

Indeed - since I started playing Dark Angels, I've always tried to look at how the designers intended the synergy to work in game play.  Units that are seen as sub-par when evaluated in a vacuum can be frighteningly effective when used properly.

The fliers have generally been scorned - but properly used, a Rift Cannon and/or Stasis Bomb, with a splash of rad grenades from charging Black Knights, weakens an enemy unit... and then the Deathwing deep strike on the RW homing beacons.  It's hard to pull off perfectly, but I cannot imagine a more glorious feeling than completely crushing an enemy force with units that individually would be considered under-powered and/or overpriced.

This sounds like it ought to be a good codex. I'm still cautious, but I like most of what I have heard so far. There are some minor quibbles, but that's to be expected. At the moment I am still in 'let's wait and see mode'.

This sounds like it ought to be a good codex. I'm still cautious, but I like most of what I have heard so far. There are some minor quibbles, but that's to be expected. At the moment I am still in 'let's wait and see mode'.

Heresy grows from idleness. Get on your legs and go capture some Fallen :D

I don't know if I missed it but I haven't seen the formation I was expecting to make the new battle force playable in its own right in the way the space marine and blood angles are

I don't know if I missed it but I haven't seen the formation I was expecting to make the new battle force playable in its own right in the way the space marine and blood angles are

It is almost playable, just like BA and SM. All three choices are FA choices and you need Sammael + 2 FA choices for the RWSF. If you convert the Land Speeder to Sableclaw, you have 1 HQ and 2 FA, thus a legal force ;)

@ Otalaro - Smite now functions like a Smash Attack. Let me double check though.

I do like that the Demi-Company can be fielded in small Combat Squad level strength, as it caters to smaller point games.  Very nice to be able to field a demi-Demi-Company in that way.  Some things are very scalable, which is definitely a big plus.

Indeed.  I worked out the minimum points cost and it's only a shade over 600 points for the least expensive choices (without wargear) and it's all of 32 models.

The Lion's Blade is such a scalable Strike Force when you consider that it can go almost as low as Combat Patrol levels all the way up to Apocalypse-sized armies (come to think of it, a solid Greenwing force was the one thing we were missing in Apocalypse, too...)

Smite is Sx2.

Which is a substantial nerf. Mathematically you'd only ever need smite once, so the str10 ap2 thing at full attacks was the most efficient form. However, being able to do it multiple times isn't so bad. It makes them permanently dangerous to vehicles. Plus the general increase of their weapons to AP3, and the flail's buff to fleshbane, means they are really good at what they are supposed to do - club chaos marines like baby seals. It also means they happen to be good at killing everything in the game all the time while retaining very high durability. Also, they confer the shield wall rule onto any special character with a storm shield... that means allies ;).

Smite is Sx2.

Yes, but wouldn't the +2 from the mace make it str 10?

You know...

Honestly I hadn't thought of that. It raises their  strength to 8 then +2 to from mace...

Nope, it's resolved at strength x2 instead of strength +2. So it's 8.

Smite is Sx2.

You know...

Honestly I hadn't thought of that. It raises their strength to 8 then +2 to from mace...

Why not? It's not another weapon entry right? Let's take a look at furious charge on a normal Dude with thunder hammer.

Thunder hammer makes your atk at x2, and furious charge adds 1 to it, so ur atk is now str 9.

Smite mode doesn't indicate as a new weapon entry, rather as an additional rule to the weapon. Imo the +2 is still there, no?

Smite is Sx2.

You know...

Honestly I hadn't thought of that. It raises their strength to 8 then +2 to from mace...

Why not? It's not another weapon entry right? Let's take a look at furious charge on a normal Dude with thunder hammer.

Thunder hammer makes your atk at x2, and furious charge adds 1 to it, so ur atk is now str 9.

Smite mode doesn't indicate as a new weapon entry, rather as an additional rule to the weapon. Imo the +2 is still there, no?

That's what I thought. It's still the same weapon just sacrificing attacks for x2 strength

Smite is Sx2.

You know...

You aren't adding anything.

It was +2 strength

Use smite and instead its x2 strength. Cut and dried. It's like saying a powerfist is strength 12 because it's 4 + x2 strength. It's not. 

Also, Deathwing Vehicle completely gone? As well as dozer blades? They really shafted DW on this book.  If you want terminators, bring the psychic ones IMO.

Dozer Blades aren't gone.  Page 154 under Vehicle Equipment there is a grey box... first item says Dozer Blade.

Ratchet it down Chicken Little, DW are not shafted with the loss of DW Vehicle.

It might be a case of you being so desperate to find something wrong that you are overlooking what is right in front of you.

(the dozer blade is the clearest example of that).

Yeesh, talk about overreaction to what I'm saying.  If you've been following anything I've been saying I've been lauding this book to be our greatest ever and probably now one of the better ones on the shelves.

As for the Dozer Blade, if you read closely enough it has a superscript that says it can't be purchased on a Land Raider.

Check the wording. It says 'Roll to Hit as normal, but resolve the attack at x2S AP2.' That 'but' excludes the +2S.

Exactly

Wait, how so?

The weapon has two profiles

str +2 ap3

OR INSTEAD

attacks are made at x2 ap2.

It's literally saying "instead of the above profile, get x2 strength and ap2"

EDIT

Don't be greedy. It's a an i4 powerfist attack on command, followed up by 3 or 4 ap3 fleshbane attacks. On top of terminators that are t5 with hammer of wrath and 2++/3++, fearless, deepstrike, hatred:chaos space marines, and can get fear/adamantine will for a pittance.

Seriously, be happy. Us old ones had to play with 52 point generic terminators with stubborn and no invuln.

Check the wording. It says 'Roll to Hit as normal, but resolve the attack at x2S AP2.' That 'but' excludes the +2S.

Exactly
Wait, how so?

The weapon has two profiles

str +2 ap3

OR INSTEAD

attacks are made at x2 ap2.

It's literally saying "instead of the above profile, get x2 strength and ap2"

Now here is the thing. If you look at the new codex, it's not a new weapon profile. The +2 should still be conferred upon the weapon just like how furious charge would

You are asking the same question in two different threads and getting several replies from several people on how is S8 and not S10. Now, will you stop only when someone says S10 for you to be happy or will you accept that it's S8?

You are asking the same question in two different threads and getting several replies from several people on how is S8 and not S10. Now, will you stop only when someone says S10 for you to be happy or will you accept that it's S8?

Sorry Lucifer, I wanted to ask for More forumer "s opinion on this. Again, Sorry if it offended you.

I'm actually interested in how the rule works. It says attacks will be resolved at str 8, but would modifiers still apply?

Archived