== Martian Death Ray Club ==

Mid to deployment zone objective holders. You've got 15 inches over the more mobile charger and a point of strength. So targets of a light transport nature can be pinged, man sized models are doubled out of fnp if they fail saves. And more importantly fill one of six troop slots as opposed to one of three heavy slots.

Culverin are there for when you way to sit back and watch the battlefield turn to ash

Mid to deployment zone objective holders. You've got 15 inches over the more mobile charger and a point of strength. So targets of a light transport nature can be pinged, man sized models are doubled out of fnp if they fail saves. And more importantly fill one of six troop slots as opposed to one of three heavy slots.

Culverin are there for when you way to sit back and watch the battlefield turn to ash

Good shout. I'd already had them pegged for a midfield unit, but I actually assumed they had the same Str value as volkite chargers - so thanks for that little nugget. I wish they could fill a compulsory slot!

So it begins.

http://i.imgur.com/7hCSDPO.jpg?1

"I wish they could fill a compulsory slot!"

So do all who all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the choom that is given us.

Dallo

See, I've heard these discussion points before, normally coupled with the points savings when it comes to the Calivers over the Culverins.

But I don't think the math holds up.

A five man volkite caliver squad puts out 10 str 6 volkite shots at 30" or 12.5pts per shot. Factor the normal points saving heresy normally exhibits in larger than minimum squads, and a max caliver squad brings 20 shots at 11.25 per. This max squad puts out the same number of shots as the minimum size squad of culverins, but is shorter in range and requires double the number of models to be within that shortened range to make that happen. 

A five man culverin squad makes double the amount of shots happen, which equates to 9.25pts per shot with an extra 15". The full culverin squad ends up 110pts more expensive than a maxed caliver squad (or an approx 45% increase in cost) for 8.375pts per shot. 

Really the only thing I could see to push you towards calivers is if your heavy support slots are filled to capacity and you just have to fit some more volkite in somewhere. I suppose you could argue a quicker decrease in effectiveness with a caliver squad, since you only lose two volkite shots for each wound lost...

Edited by Flint13

Snippy longstockings

A five man culverin squad makes double the amount of shots happen, which equates to 9.25pts per shot with an extra 15". The full culverin squad ends up 110pts more expensive than a maxed caliver squad (or an approx 45% increase in cost) for 8.375pts per shot.

110pts is the kicker. You could just stick with a 5 man HS squad but that's much too easy to wipe. That 110 points can be spent on a rhino and upgrades for your support squad adding to survivability (or elsewhere mood depending).

It may be more points effective, but does that necessarily equate to effectiveness in the game?

110pts is a misnomer though. It's not actually cheaper when you do the math in what you're paying for. It's why I was thinking about not even including it in my description.

With the calivers you're essentially wasting points on paying more for something that you don't have to.

If you had the option to pay 200pts for a land raider or 148pts for the exact same vehicle, which would you do? B/c that's essentially what you're doing with calivers over culverins. 

Even if the "easier to wipe" argument crops up, that's entirely subjective. It could just as easily be argued that the additional 15" in culverin range could more than outweigh the extra wounds argument since they'll be exposed to less enemy weapons since they outrange more legion weapons more easily.  

I wish they could fill a compulsory slot!

The Volkite Chargers can fill compulsory slots... IF you're an Iron Hands player, AND you're using their new Rite of War from Book 6.

'Bitter Iron' allows the Iron Hands to field Medusan Immortals as Troop Choices (including compulsory slots), and you can equip them all with Volkite Chargers :cool.:

Speaking of Iron Hands and Volkites... I finally finished this bad boy last week:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/UrzaTRi/10322807_1040619156012015_5919158115746257284_n_zpsihust2gf.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/UrzaTRi/10441964_1039955509411713_6823051565884389061_n_zps8thqsxlk.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/UrzaTRi/10376316_1039955412745056_2519052309104535440_n_zpsbqakslq2.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/UrzaTRi/1001080_1040643926009538_1592863988891598807_n_zpsmdu7vzqs.jpg

CHOOOM!!!! :biggrin.:

Speaking of Iron Hands and Volkites... I finally finished this bad boy last week:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/UrzaTRi/1001080_1040643926009538_1592863988891598807_n_zpsmdu7vzqs.jpg

Wow, great model ! He is definitely worth the sacrifice of the turncloak Samael :smile.:

Edited by Lord Thørn

Wow, great model ! He is definitely worth the sacrifice of the turncloak Samael :smile.:

Thanks! It's an on-going theme with my Iron Hands - I have a few characters whose bases are littered with Emperors Children parts :cool.:

Why isn't there an option for tacticals to get Volkite Chargers in exchange for boltguns, Fury of the Legion and a points increase? >;(

I want my corpse grinders to be majority choom, damnit!

Why isn't there an option for tacticals to get Volkite Chargers in exchange for boltguns, Fury of the Legion and a points increase? >;(

Ruleswise? No idea. I'd guess that maybe its because the units would be a bit overpowered.

Fluffwise? It is all down to the logistics of arming (and re-supplying) 20 Legions across the vastness of the Galaxy. Volkites were originally the standard weapon of the Astartes during the early stages of the Great Crusade, but they were incredibly complex weapons to manufacture and near-impossible to mass-produce. Thus, as the Legions grew in size and spread out further into the Galaxy, the Volkite weapons were superseded by the much less complex Bolter series of weapons.

Edited by Urza

Ruleswise? No idea. I'd guess that maybe its because the units would be a bit overpowered.

Fluffwise? It is all down to the logistics of arming (and re-supplying) 20 Legions across the vastness of the Galaxy. Volkites were originally the standard weapon of the Astartes during the early stages of the Great Crusade, but they were incredibly complex weapons to manufacture and near-impossible to mass-produce. Thus, as the Legions grew in size and spread out further into the Galaxy, the Volkite weapons were superseded by the much less complex Bolter series of weapons.

Yep, I plan on taking a Support Unit fluffed as a veteran tactical unit armed with the allmightiness of Choom. Just for rule of cool you know ?

Ahem. :wink:

You beautiful madman, you.

Oooh, I'd forgotten about that one! Would it be possible to add a link in the first post please ?

Also, you might need to add an addendum not allowing it to be taken by Shattered Legion Forces (I believe SLs can take RoW, but not BlackShields)

Ahem. :wink.:

A bit delayed, I know, but I've just had a brief thought on a possible advantage to add. May need to clean the wording up a touch, though:

Fury of Sol: Any units equipped with a Volkite weapon that has the Fury of The Legion special rule may add +1 to their BS when firing a Volkite weapon in any turn during which they did not move or make a run move.