The DA FAQ request : let's centralize everything guys !

Master Avoghai

Sometimes asking the questions has unintended consequences such as what happened to our deathwing sergeants' weapon options in the last codex (and hopefully won't happen again). So, if a question doesn't really need to be asked, then it's best not to ask it lest something else get broken in the process of "clarifying"

My example doesn't cater to my point of view (my example illustrates the same issue, just in a different way). Elios Harg layed it out better, and both exmaples support what you are saying. If it really works that way, that is pretty crazy, but I'll concede that it is a good question for an FAQ.

And if it really does work that way (and it looks like it very well might) you do all realize that the entire Squadron gains Shrouded too then, as they are not getting it from being within 6" of the Darkshroud (i.e. the only limitation the Icon of Old Caliban makes a note of), but because there is a model with the Shrouded rule IN the Squadron, because the rules for Shrouded state... tongue.png

Accordingly, every single model in a Ravenwing Support Squadron containing a Darkshroud automatically has both Shoruded and Stealth simply because at least one model in the Squadron has one of these rules. And so the Squadron has a 4+ cover save when flying around in the open. If the Squadron gains cover from pretty much anything (most cover provides a 5+ or better save), then the Squadron members have 2+ cover saves, without Jinking. And, if the Squadron does Jink, it has a 2+ re-rollable cover save...when flying around in the open.

Sounds a bit OTT to me (which is why I questioned it so strongly), but the rules would seem to support it. Gah!!! And I thought the offensive capability of the unit was good enough. With this added, opponents are going to poop their pants, and then start throwing it around like crazed monkies.

Now that I've had a good chance to sit down and read the Book of Salvation rule it makes a lot more sense why it is worded as it is. Models within 6" of Zeke at the beginning of the fight subphase gain +1A until the end of the subphase. This way if Zeke or other models move during pile-ins they do not gain/lose the attack mid-fight. At the beginning of the subphase you determine which models get it and those are the only models that have it regardless of who moves where during the subphase. Then next fight subphase (perhaps in a nearby melee) you figure out again who benefits and they have it until the end of that subphase rinse and repeat until the assault phase is over.

Ok guys since the codex is now released all over the world I propose that we just wait for a week, leaving the time to everybody checking if no question is missing and then we shoudl send it as massive as possible at the end of next week.

I'm confident in the fact that GW will get a FAQ. I think now they are concentrated in the release of Age of Sigmar, and no massive 40k release they'll profit from this time to release FAQ for the last 3 codex (Eldar SM and DA) all in a row.

Why do you expect them to release any FAQs or Errata? they had long enough to release one for Eldar,Skitarii and Mechanicus. Last FAQ update was in January of 2015 and November 2014 before that. Somehow I expect no FAQ to be released at all or for another half a year( at least)

Coming from sixth, I have a hard enough time understanding CAD and unbound and everything. But with the codex in my hand, Deathwing seem limited as a deployable unit. From my understanding, with both the Strike force and redemption force, DWT/K are obligated to come in via Deepstrike. Why, because it's fluffy? I suppose my question is, am I reading it right that I need to go for unbound to use 2 knight units in 2 land raiders?

Coming from sixth, I have a hard enough time understanding CAD and unbound and everything. But with the codex in my hand, Deathwing seem limited as a deployable unit. From my understanding, with both the Strike force and redemption force, DWT/K are obligated to come in via Deepstrike. Why, because it's fluffy? I suppose my question is, am I reading it right that I need to go for unbound to use 2 knight units in 2 land raiders?

By RAW yes, you are required to go unbound.

"sarcasm on" But be happy your Deathwing Knights are not only fearless but now also stubborn and can overwatch with their hammers smile.png*sarcasm off*

Oh ye and no more Deathwing Vehicle upgrade so I guess LRs are not part of the first company anymore.

Why I expect? Because like I've said, we'll know a period of hiatus in 40k release that we haven't known since the release of EoT : Archaon.

The other reason why I've opened this topic is because I always think that you have no right moaning when you're waiting that everything fall from the sky right in your hands. It's like ranting about people winning at the lottery when you never buy a ticket

If we do nothing for sure we'll get nothing

If we ask, we may get nothing but we have a chance to get something.

I'll alway choose a few chance rather none at all.

No, they have the statline of an apothecary, not a veteran. Thus they are ineligible to select from the veteran wargear.

Similar to how Sgts have a space marine SGT statline and not a space marine statline, thus they can't have a gravcannon. Though that does sound awesome.

Like NSUWolf posted a little earlier we should send it here : gamefaqs@gwplc.com

I think that by security, we could also make a double copy here : uk.custserv@gwplc.com

Like I've said, if we don't have any further question by the end of the week, we can post them on Friday.

I went ahead and sent them an email today. The Codex is officially out. I sent the main question set from the first page but with a few alterations.

Here is the email I sent to gamefaqs@gwplc.com. Let you know if I get a response.

Hello,

I recently purchased my Dark Angels Codex on Sunday. After reading through it thoroughly I had a few questions that may possibly require aa FAQ or Errata.

Q1:  Ravenwing Strike Force (p159): The Ravenwing Strike Force allows up to 3 HQ choices to be included. However the limitations state that only models with the Ravenwing special rule are allowed and only Sammael has this special rule. Should we assume that giving a space marine bike to a character automatically gives him the Ravenwing special rule?

Q2: Ravenwing Strike Force (p159): The rule "Strike As One" specifies that the entire formation should be deployed entirely or kept in reserve entirely. How does this work with the Dark Talon or Nephilim where being Flyers they MUST start in reserve?

Q3: Deathwing Strike Force (p158):  The rule specifies that units should be placed in Deep Strike Reserve. What about a Deathwing squad in a dedicated Land Raider?
- Does the Land raider arrive via Deep Strike?
- Is the Land raider deployed on the table and the squad is kept in DS reserve?
- Are both the squad and the Land Raider deployed on the table?
- Are Land Raiders not able to be taken in this formation as a dedicated transport?

Q4: Deathwing Strike Force (p158):  If I use a single detachment, all my squads must be kept in reserve and therefore arrive after the 1st turn. But since I have no units on the table turn one, does it mean that a single Deathwing Strike Force automatically looses the game turn one? Was this an oversight? Due to this you currently can't use an army comprised of only Deathwing Terminators without going Unbound (an option that isn't popular in my local gaming group). I found this surprising as the new Space Marines, Blood Angels, Space Wolves and Grey Knights all have the ability to field an army full of Terminators and able to start rolling for reserves turn 1.

Q5: Deathwing Strike Force (p.158): Restrictions say that all models have to have the Deathwing special rule. This would mean that Azrael, Asmodai, Ezekiel, Interrogator-Chaplain, Librarian and Company Master can be taken, however, "Summoned to War" rule states that all models have to be deployed via Deep Strike. This is not a problem for Interrogator-Chaplain, Librarian and Company Master if they purchase Terminator Armour, but how are Azrael, Asmodai and Ezekiel supposed to be deployed? Or are they simply not allowed in this detachment?

Q6: Deathwing Redemption Force (p141): Same questions as above. How do I field Land Raiders as Dedicated Transports with the "Deathwing Assault" special rules?

Q7: The Rift cannon (p 150): It has the vortex rule on "any roll of doubles" and is applied immediately. However, the rules for vortex specifically say to place the blast marker and roll for scatter. Lets say I rolled an "Arrow" and two "4s" on the 2D6. Does this mean:
- You scatter the template (8' - BS = distance") and where the blast ends up it becomes a Vortex?
- Where you placed the blast marker it automatically becomes a vortex. Ignore the scatter dice and two "4s" I rolled and scatter it again as per the Vortex rules?
- Scatter the template (8" - BS = distance"), place the blast and then roll for scatter + 2D6 again as per the Vortex rules?

Q8: Sammael in Sableclaw (p101): Sableclaw is: Vehicle (Fast, Skimmer, Character). Does this mean if he is charged in combat (despite that vehicles cannot charge into combat themselves) he could be challenged? If so, what profile would he fight with as Vehicles are WS1 for the purposes of combat. Also Sableclaw has the Grim Resolve special rule. Being a vehicle what is the point of this as he can't fire overwatch, doesn't have the Ravenshield (p143) rule and doesn't take Leadership test?

Q9: Company Master (p106): Is the bike option missing? How can I represent a successor chapter Master on bike or even the support company Master on bike? If it's for fluff reason I don't understand this decision as a Space Marine army from the current codex can include multiple Chapter Masters in the same army when fluff wise there is only ever one Chapter Master.

These questions have been asked by several other fellow gamers on various 3rd party forums. I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Sincerely,

Carlos

I went ahead and sent them an email today. The Codex is officially out. I sent the main question set from the first page but with a few alterations.

Here is the email I sent to gamefaqs@gwplc.com. Let you know if I get a response.

Hello,

I recently purchased my Dark Angels Codex on Sunday. After reading through it thoroughly I had a few questions that may possibly require aa FAQ or Errata.

Q1:  Ravenwing Strike Force (p159): The Ravenwing Strike Force allows up to 3 HQ choices to be included. However the limitations state that only models with the Ravenwing special rule are allowed and only Sammael has this special rule. Should we assume that giving a space marine bike to a character automatically gives him the Ravenwing special rule?

Q2: Ravenwing Strike Force (p159): The rule "Strike As One" specifies that the entire formation should be deployed entirely or kept in reserve entirely. How does this work with the Dark Talon or Nephilim where being Flyers they MUST start in reserve?

Q3: Deathwing Strike Force (p158):  The rule specifies that units should be placed in Deep Strike Reserve. What about a Deathwing squad in a dedicated Land Raider?
- Does the Land raider arrive via Deep Strike?
- Is the Land raider deployed on the table and the squad is kept in DS reserve?
- Are both the squad and the Land Raider deployed on the table?
- Are Land Raiders not able to be taken in this formation as a dedicated transport?

Q4: Deathwing Strike Force (p158):  If I use a single detachment, all my squads must be kept in reserve and therefore arrive after the 1st turn. But since I have no units on the table turn one, does it mean that a single Deathwing Strike Force automatically looses the game turn one? Was this an oversight? Due to this you currently can't use an army comprised of only Deathwing Terminators without going Unbound (an option that isn't popular in my local gaming group). I found this surprising as the new Space Marines, Blood Angels, Space Wolves and Grey Knights all have the ability to field an army full of Terminators and able to start rolling for reserves turn 1.

Q5: Deathwing Strike Force (p.158): Restrictions say that all models have to have the Deathwing special rule. This would mean that Azrael, Asmodai, Ezekiel, Interrogator-Chaplain, Librarian and Company Master can be taken, however, "Summoned to War" rule states that all models have to be deployed via Deep Strike. This is not a problem for Interrogator-Chaplain, Librarian and Company Master if they purchase Terminator Armour, but how are Azrael, Asmodai and Ezekiel supposed to be deployed? Or are they simply not allowed in this detachment?

Q6: Deathwing Redemption Force (p141): Same questions as above. How do I field Land Raiders as Dedicated Transports with the "Deathwing Assault" special rules?

Q7: The Rift cannon (p 150): It has the vortex rule on "any roll of doubles" and is applied immediately. However, the rules for vortex specifically say to place the blast marker and roll for scatter. Lets say I rolled an "Arrow" and two "4s" on the 2D6. Does this mean:
- You scatter the template (8' - BS = distance") and where the blast ends up it becomes a Vortex?
- Where you placed the blast marker it automatically becomes a vortex. Ignore the scatter dice and two "4s" I rolled and scatter it again as per the Vortex rules?
- Scatter the template (8" - BS = distance"), place the blast and then roll for scatter + 2D6 again as per the Vortex rules?

Q8: Sammael in Sableclaw (p101): Sableclaw is: Vehicle (Fast, Skimmer, Character). Does this mean if he is charged in combat (despite that vehicles cannot charge into combat themselves) he could be challenged? If so, what profile would he fight with as Vehicles are WS1 for the purposes of combat. Also Sableclaw has the Grim Resolve special rule. Being a vehicle what is the point of this as he can't fire overwatch, doesn't have the Ravenshield (p143) rule and doesn't take Leadership test?

Q9: Company Master (p106): Is the bike option missing? How can I represent a successor chapter Master on bike or even the support company Master on bike? If it's for fluff reason I don't understand this decision as a Space Marine army from the current codex can include multiple Chapter Masters in the same army when fluff wise there is only ever one Chapter Master.

These questions have been asked by several other fellow gamers on various 3rd party forums. I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Sincerely,

Carlos

Thanks for doing that! Hopefully we get good news soon.

Regarding Sable Claw being a character, that is solely so it can be a Warlord. 

The rules for challenges (Page 101) says that the issuing and accepting character must be able to fight to do either one. We already had this with the Astra Militarum Tank Commanders. Sable Claws sweep doesn't overrule this.

Hot topic of the Darkshroud, but it's definitely an oversight on GW's part unless they felt it's clear enough.  Hopefully a faq will be out this week as with Age of Sigmar coming out I have a feeling this may not be addressed for a while.

Both sides of this create some great points.  

Stealth and Shrouded confer to the squad.  We know this, if you've ever had to mess with hordes of hormas/termas and Venomthrope you'd understand.  It just takes 1 model to confer.  They are also cumulative except cannot increase a cover save beyond 2+.

The rule for providing stealth comes from the Icon of Caliban.  So what's happening is:

Darkshroud has Shrouded, confers shrouded to the unit (+2).  Open cover save is 5+, 25% obscured save is 4+, Jink save is 2+

Darkshroud grants other speeders within 6" Stealth (+1), Open Cover save is 4+, 25% obscured save is 3+, Jink save, still 2+

Speeders in squadron now have been given Stealth, stealth confers back to the Darkshroud. Darkshrouds's open cover save is 4+, 25% obscured save is 2+, Jink save is still 2+.

It's certainly not intended and it's definitely a bending of the rules and it seems this is really going to only be an issue if you're taking cover saves in the open/terrain vs Jink saves in an attempt to avoid having to snapfire.  GW can easily clarify the rule if they just changed the language if they just say that it provides +1 to the cover save instead of the Stealth rule.  

Remember that the original Icon of Caliban was written under a 6th edition Ruleset where the old jink which gave you a 5+ if you moved, meaning that a moving Darkshroud enjoyed a 3+ cover save and a turbo-boosted Darkshroud got a 2+.  This was changed obviously in 7th to at least give your units snapshots rather than outright losing their opportunity to shoot.  I am assuming that Icon rule was written as a way to prevent 6th edition Darkshrouds from running next to each other, cross-providing stealth and enjoying a 2+ cover save while laying into you with assault cannon fire.

Space marine speeders don't count as open-topped.

Fluff wise it's because they wear full body armor.

Ruleswise because it's not part of their profile. Compare to landspeeder storm which should be open topped because neophytes wear carapace armor, not power armor.

Hey guys I got one more to add to the FAQ list.

Grim Resolve - This special rule is on 2 units that do not appear to be able to use it, Sableclaw and RW Support Squadron. Does Grim Resolve grant the ability to overwatch in addition to the bonus to BS for these 2 units.

It doesn't make sense that the RW Support Squadron would fire overwatch to defend the bike squad next to them, but not fire overwatch to defend themselves, when they are in fact a RW unit also.

As for Sableclaw, it is a unique unit and therefore may have abilities not available to the more basic versions of that unit.

I don't expect this granting of overwatch to over rule other codex rules that prevent overwatch, like Eldar Banshee Masks and our own Darkshroud.

The only other questionable unit that has Grim Resolve is DWK, which can still use the Stubborn rule even though they don't have guns to make use of the overwatch benefit. All other unit in the codex with this rule can make use of both stubborn and overwatch.

Correct, for the RWSS, they are able to overwatch when they themselves are charged as they are a friendly unit with the Ravenwing rule within 24" of themselves. As for Sableclaw, I am speculating that they originally intended to allow it to overwatch or perhaps give it the Ravenshield ability, but then decided against it and forgot to remove the Grim Resolve rule. It actually would be quite cool if Sableclaw *did* have Ravenshield as it is still an extremely expensive model with only 2 HPs, regardless of its other stats.

Archived