The DA FAQ request : let's centralize everything guys !

Master Avoghai

The fluff reason there is that you need certain weapons, or rather certain specs on said weapons, to be able to channel psychic power through it. You can't just pick up a chair and starting burning out minds.

A Jedi can use his/her/its lightsaber to block other lightsabers, but can't do the same with a stun baton (unless they want it truncated, of course).

I do understand that, but this is also not an RPG where our characters are scavaging the bodies we just killed for supplies.

Apparently this Chaplain always carries the Mace of Redemption into combat that he gets to apply all of his Chaplain rules to while using it.

So why wouldn't the Librarian also have a unique weapon that he can also use all of his rules with.

It would be like having zealot be applied to the Chrozius, and if he upgraded to the MoR he would no longer have that USR.

It activates a special rule of the weapon itself. Concussion is inherent to the crozius, not the Chaplain. Force is inherent to the force weapon, and also the name of the power used to activate it. "...weapons that have the Force special rule..." Being a zealot fanatic isn't inherent to the weapon.

Some points that have been bugging me but not really questions.

Belial is forced to take "the hunt" warlord trait but this is absolutely useless if he switches wargear to lightning claws or thunder hammer.

The sacred standards used to have at least one decent option for each "wing" but now it is utterly useless to a deathwing army and a less than desirable option for Ravenwing.

The standard thing might have been intentional: DW have their own standard, RW do too, Greenwing works very well with the Sacred Standard or Chapter Standard.

One thing I've never understood though is why a Deathwing command squad cannot have a chapter standard... I mean... doesn't it seems normal to give the moste revered standard of the chapter to the best and most iconic warriors?

Hey guys, the guys at my game store said today that "friendly models" does not include the unit itself in relation to the Ravenshield rule.

This contradicts what I read on here.

Is there a page in the rule book or FAQ where it covers rules about affects friendly models, which states clearly if they also effect themselves?

The standard thing might have been intentional: DW have their own standard, RW do too, Greenwing works very well with the Sacred Standard or Chapter Standard.

One thing I've never understood though is why a Deathwing command squad cannot have a chapter standard... I mean... doesn't it seems normal to give the moste revered standard of the chapter to the best and most iconic warriors?

Not at all.  The Chapter Banner represents the Chapter as a whole, just as do all of the ancillary HQs (i.e. Interrogator-Chaplains, Librarians, Chapter Master).  The squad that goes with them is Honour Guard.  Dark Angels should have this type of squad, but they do not (incidentally, being non-Company representatives of the Chapter is why these ancillary HQs display green shoulder pads with the white winged sword instead of the bone shoulder pads with the broken red winged sword when wearing terminator armor).  The closest option we get for Honour Guard is the Command Squad, which is apparently why it has access to this Standard and the others do not.  We lose out on having a proper Honour Guard with its access to the better standard wargear, such as artificer armor and power weapons (which they get both of, along with LD 10, for a mere 7 points more per model than Vets cost).  It would be such a perfect unit to accompany into battle such characters as Azrael and Ezekiel, but we don't get it yet again this time around.  And so we must use the poor man's version of Honour Guard, the Command Squad, to represent them.  Or, we could take an allied unit of vanilla Honour Guard and do with it what we wish, as they are Battle Brothers and so everything functions for a DA Character that joins the unit, and vice versa.

Hey guys, the guys at my game store said today that "friendly models" does not include the unit itself in relation to the Ravenshield rule.

Is there a page in the rule book or FAQ where it covers rules about affects friendly models, which states clearly if they also effect themselves?

The Ravenshield rule itself only references other units.  The implication seems clear in how the ranges of the rule are described, but some people will surely argue that it includes ALL RW units in range, including the formation itself. It is worth an FAQ I guess.

You can counter with the fact that a psycher can cast a blessing on its own unit.

Or the fact that the Dark Shroud has to explicitly state that it doesn't give itself Stealth.

Guys wanna ask. If I take the Ravenwing atk squadron, and break my bike into 2 bike unit and 1 atk bike.

1) can I choose to outflank the bikes but deepstrike the land speeder? Or must the speeder outflank as well

2) must I roll outflank for each of the units (2 bike squad of three models, 1 ark bike and 1 speeder. Or just roll once for the formation and they come in from the Same side?

3) how far apart can units in a Formation be apart from one another?

Guys wanna ask. If I take the Ravenwing atk squadron, and break my bike into 2 bike unit and 1 atk bike.

1) can I choose to outflank the bikes but deepstrike the land speeder? Or must the speeder outflank as well

Yes, you can.  Units in the formation are seperate unless otherwise indicated.

2) must I roll outflank for each of the units (2 bike squad of three models, 1 ark bike and 1 speeder. Or just roll once for the formation and they come in from the Same side?

As I understand it, you would roll reserves once for each unit and outflank for each sub-unit.

3) how far apart can units in a Formation be apart from one another?

Units in a formation do no need to stay in close proximity to one another unless the formation specifically requires it (in the RWSS's or HOC's case, by stating that they form one unit)

Edited for clarity.

1) The bikes must be deployed at the same time, in the same way, but they can be Combat Squaded (or not) when you do so. Ths speeder is a separate unit altogether, so it can be deployed differently to the bikes, meaning you can Outlfank the bikes and Deepstrike the speeder if you wish.

2) One Reserves roll is made of the all of the bikes, whether you plan to Combat Squad them when they are put into play (i.e. deployed) or not. The speeder is rolled for separately.

3) Anything part of a unit has a 2" (Vehicle Squadrons 4") coherency distance, and the separate units of a Formation can be moved wherever. For example, when you deploy the bikes, if they are fully Combat Squaded, they can be deployed wherever you wish within the allowed/indicated area of deployment: the two 3-man bike groups could be as far apart as you wish/is allowed, as could the attack bike, as they are all separate units if you dep[loy them as sepate Combat Squads. The land speeder could also Deepstrike in anywhere on the field of play. Unless models are in the same unit/squad, they are are not subject to coherency requirements whether they are from the same Formation or not. Only models within the same squads/squadrons have coherency requirements, separate squads/squadrons do not.

On a related note, note that the Ravenwing Silence "Squadron" is not actually a Vehicle Squadron, and so it does not follow the rules for such (meaning the fliers act separately from one another, except for rolling for them to show up from Reserves as a single group). Not the smartest move to put a rules classification word in a unit's name when the Formation's rules themselves indicate the models operate independently of one another. It would have been better to call the Formation "Ravenwing Silence Attack Wing", or something similar. You'd think they are trying to confuse us on purpose, or somthing. tongue.png

Well here is a question. Mind you I am coming back to 40K gaming. Have been collecting but haven't played since 5th edition, but want to start to play again.

About the Ravenwing Strikeforce. (Sorry if I have the name wrong) So we have the option to take 3 HQ but only if they have the Ravenwing special rule correct? So this only means Sammeal can be the HQ. Isn't there also a rule saying the HQ can reroll their Warlord trait. In the Big Rule Book you have to take your warlord trait if you have been given one and can't roll for one. If we go that Codex over rides rules in BRB, wouldn't this mean that Sammeal can reroll his Warlord trait if you so choose to do so then?

Yes I know, you don't roll for your warlord trait, it's picked automatically, but the Ravenwing Strikforce rule (or what ever it's called if I got the name wrong) says you can reroll warlord trait and Codex is greater than BRB, this would allow Sammeal reroll the automatically picked warlord trait, correct? If not, why not? I thought it goes like BRB<Codex<BRB FAQ<Codex FAQ

Trying to learn all the rules, and now I am just confusing myself. I want to make sure if I am correct or not. 

Well here is a question. Mind you I am coming back to 40K gaming. Have been collecting but haven't played since 5th edition, but want to start to play again.

About the Ravenwing Strikeforce. (Sorry if I have the name wrong) So we have the option to take 3 HQ but only if they have the Ravenwing special rule correct? So this only means Sammeal can be the HQ. Isn't there also a rule saying the HQ can reroll their Warlord trait. In the Big Rule Book you have to take your warlord trait if you have been given one and can't roll for one. If we go that Codex over rides rules in BRB, wouldn't this mean that Sammeal can reroll his Warlord trait if you so choose to do so then?

Yes I know, you don't roll for your warlord trait, it's picked automatically, but the Ravenwing Strikforce rule (or what ever it's called if I got the name wrong) says you can reroll warlord trait and Codex is greater than BRB, this would allow Sammeal reroll the automatically picked warlord trait, correct? If not, why not? I thought it goes like BRB<Codex<BRB FAQ<Codex FAQ

Trying to learn all the rules, and now I am just confusing myself. I want to make sure if I am correct or not. 

I belive this is listed here several times m8, we do want to get this in the FAQ for sure. It is most likely a typo 0-1 type of thing but if not then there needs to be an ability to grant RavenWing to a few of the HQ choices that can take bikes for example. 

This would be for an HQ other than Sammael, who's Warlord Trait you correctly identify as not being able to be changed. The problem is, as the rules are written, even though there is an option to take other HQs in the various Ravenwing Formations, such HQs can only be taken if they have the Ravenwing rule, and none of the HQs other than Sammael have that rule so they cannot be taken.  And so the re-roll the Warlord Trait bit is  basically useless, as there is not viable option for that rule to apply to. This is likely an (annoying) oversight.

Edited for typos (not the first time, and certainly not the last).

I belive this is listed here several times m8, we do want to get this in the FAQ for sure. It is most likely a typo 0-1 type of thing but if not then there needs to be an ability to grant RavenWing to a few of the HQ choices that can take bikes for example. 

I have read through all 8 pages. I am sure this wasn't brought up. I mean about Sammeal rerolling because codex is greater than BRB. I haven't seen that mentioned at all. 

This would be for an HQ other than Sammael, who's Warlord Trait you correctly identify as not being able to be changed. The problem is, as the rules are written, even though there is an option to takle other HQs in the various Ravenwing Formations, such HQs can only be taken if they have the Ravenwing rule, and none of the HQs other than Sammale have that rule so they cannot be taken.  And so the re-roll the Warlord Trait bit is  basically useless, as there is not viable option for that ruel to apply to. This is likley an (annoying) oversight.

Why can't Sammael reroll the warlord trait though? I understand that there is no other HQ with the Ravenwing special rule. It can be an oversight or maybe it's intended and there will be more data slates in a later time like a Campaign or $5 data slates or what not that will have it. Thing is how come Sammael can't reroll? What is stopping from rerolling? 

The way I see it like I said, Codex is greater than rulebook so the codex rule over rides the BRB rule. Am I mistaken? If so, why? I am trying to relearn the rules and this is not making any sense to me.

I have read through all 8 pages. I am sure this wasn't brought up. I mean about Sammeal rerolling because codex is greater than BRB. I haven't seen that mentioned at all. 

This would be for an HQ other than Sammael, who's Warlord Trait you correctly identify as not being able to be changed. The problem is, as the rules are written, even though there is an option to takle other HQs in the various Ravenwing Formations, such HQs can only be taken if they have the Ravenwing rule, and none of the HQs other than Sammale have that rule so they cannot be taken.  And so the re-roll the Warlord Trait bit is  basically useless, as there is not viable option for that ruel to apply to. This is likley an (annoying) oversight.

Why can't Sammael reroll the warlord trait though? I understand that there is no other HQ with the Ravenwing special rule. It can be an oversight or maybe it's intended and there will be more data slates in a later time like a Campaign or $5 data slates or what not that will have it. Thing is how come Sammael can't reroll? What is stopping from rerolling? 

The way I see it like I said, Codex is greater than rulebook so the codex rule over rides the BRB rule. Am I mistaken? If so, why? I am trying to relearn the rules and this is not making any sense to me.

How do you re-roll when its clearly given that his warlord trait is 

Rapid Maneuver?

Sorry I thought you were referring to the fact that the ravenwing formation allowed 3 hq's but there's only one with ravenwing.

How do you re-roll when its clearly given that his warlord trait is 

Rapid Maneuver?

Sorry I thought you were referring to the fact that the ravenwing formation allowed 3 hq's but there's only one with ravenwing.

I thought you re-roll because one of the benefits say you can re-roll your warlord trait. Codex over rides the rule in the BRB. Am I reading this wrong?

*edit* I thought at first since you had the 3 HQ limit, the re-roll warlord trait was for the other HQ, but since we don't have the option, and IF this is intended, then all I can think of is that Sammael can re-roll his warlord trait when normally he couldn't. 

Exactly, he can't re-roll his trait because he never rolled it to start. The rule is there for the other HQs and it's pretty obvious an oversight made it impossible to field them. It is not "future proofing" as has been suggested. Either bikes are supposed to grant the Ravenwing rule all along or the all units must have Ravenwing restriction was added late in the process and being able to field other HQ units was overlooked.

The way I see it, it doesn't matter that he rolled. It was picked automatically but the rule in the Dark Angel codex says he can re-roll the pick. You don't like your first pick you can re-roll it. Codex greater than BRB, so where in the DA codex says Sammael can't re-roll. 

I am not saying you guys are wrong, just playing devils advocate so I can learn how this  game works. 

The core rulebook states that unique Independent Characters who have specific Warlord Traits never roll for them and always have the listed trait, and nothing in the codex countermands this.  In fact, by the very act of the codex listing specific Warlord Traits for the various unique Indpendent Characters, the codex itself is explicitly teling us to follow the core rules regarding this matter.  If this were not the case, and we could roll for a Warlord Trait at all, let alone re-roll a Warlord Trait, the unique characters wouldn't have specific Warlord Traits listed for them at all.

Archived