Washed my Exalted Champ. I'd be happy putting him on the table at this point, but I do plan on painting highlights and drybrushing a few bits eventually. Obviously the flame/smoke, for starters:

Kb6gA6qh.jpg

GmfLBC8h.jpg

bdyuPnkh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

NICE!  I got some of those wings with the idea of doing something similar, its neat to see how it looks.

Thanks, boss. I bet yours will look out of this world, should you decide to build 'em.

The wings look spot on, liking the helmet horns also.

Thanks! I didn't want to let the gargoyle bits go to waste. The horns are the spikes on the end of the tails.

Can we get a shot from the back to see how you've got them attached? I'm thinking of doing the same thing for a sorcerer with jump pack to support my own Warp Talons, though I might use the Possessed wings.

Sure. Let me first just describe the process: Glued the gargoyle torsos together and then took a dremel with a grinding circle to cut through the torso just beyond the slot for the wings. Then I took a round bit and carved out the interior so the square insertion that normally goes into the jump pack could fit and the wings wouldn't be sticking out too far. Then I glued the back plate onto the warp talon, sculpted some "daemon tissue" to make them look connected and to fill gaps, and then glued in the wings. 

Sorry the quality isn't the greatest (iPad + morning light):

Dh0zekCl.jpg

sfvDXePl.jpg

LCE6YrZl.jpg

Jcdy28il.jpg

I was originally going to cut away the wings beneath the lower pair of appendages, but I decided to just leave it. I'm less inclined toward perfection these days, and more toward just getting the :cuss thing done with my sanity intact.

I made some with backpacks a while back, but I think I like your approach a bit better. As backpacks they sit a bit high, I like the mutation angle.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-stxZROOm6WI/Ul7xoeskDgI/AAAAAAAABcg/5u-0h_3H4Rs/s1600/Jumpwings01.jpg

They look good. I do agree they sit a tad high, but they also solve the problem of how to integrate the wings into something that attaches to the model. Just sticking them straight onto the model looked terrible and unbalanced, given how we think a marine is supposed to look. Plus, it would have required more accurate sculpting of musculature and such to make the attachment points look good. 

• 3 months later...

Lost the mini USB cable from my camera, so I haven't been uploading the pics I've been taking. I'll get around to it eventually. School is my priority right now, and I'm keeping the hobby on ice because I'm not good at moderating myself when I have more important things to do.

Anyway, I've been itching to draw for a while now, and have the idea in my head that I'd love to make a little comic at some point, or at least some narrative artwork featuring the same character.

It's been a good 10 years since I've seriously tried to draw anything, so please be gentle :P . This is some concept art for the character.

yjQnXbv.jpg

I'm erasing/modifying it constantly, and once I get new tips for my MS Surface pen I'll be playing around with digital drawing software. I've added chainmail hanging over the belt section, which I like, and a juggernaut's head growing out of the left pauldron, which I don't like and will be erasing.

Anyway, it's a start. I'm just gonna keep drawing the same character until I get good at doing it. He's partially inspired by the artwork on the cover of the 7th ed Khorne Daemonkin codex.

Thanks, friends.

I got the itch to draw again and started a piece where this chaos lord is mounted on a juggernaut, facing down the Emperor’s champion. Looks like crap currently, but it will serve as a starting point for when I can get some new stylus tips.

• 1 month later...

I have to say, these conversions are awesome. Especially the Dragon-rider.

Also, sorry, but I'm totally stealing that idea with the Skullgrinder model as a traitor Salamander. I even have an extra Khârn model to supply the legs

Archived