I have to say, these conversions are awesome. Especially the Dragon-rider.

Also, sorry, but I'm totally stealing that idea with the Skullgrinder model as a traitor Salamander. I even have an extra Khârn model to supply the legs

Thanks, Gaderas! If all goes well, I'll be finished with my (ugh... second) degree tomorrow, and theoretically have more time to actually finish stuff and get 'em painted. :P

Please, steal away. I've used other people's ideas many times, myself.

Hey, rad. Never seen this thread before, somehow, but I love the life and imagination in your work.

Thanks a lot! I'm super eager to get back to it. Have lots of ideas and projects ready to start/finish.

I have to say, these conversions are awesome. Especially the Dragon-rider.

Also, sorry, but I'm totally stealing that idea with the Skullgrinder model as a traitor Salamander. I even have an extra Khârn model to supply the legs

Thanks, Gederas! If all goes well, I'll be finished with my (ugh... second) degree tomorrow, and theoretically have more time to actually finish stuff and get 'em painted. :P

Please, steal away. I've used other people's ideas many times, myself.

Higher education is fun, ain't it? Keep going with it. You can have all the time in the world for 40k, but if you can't support the plastic crack habit hobby then it doesn't matter :lol:

Hey, rad. Never seen this thread before, somehow, but I love the life and imagination in your work.

Ain't you glad I kind of bumped it? :lol:

Just wanted to drop by and stop lurking to just say: Very nice work you are doing in this thread, its really inspiring. I personally like the Leviathan conversion very much because it´s so gods damn massive and intimidating. Also your "doodle" looks great! Loving the orante armor, and the helmet (because I use a very similar one on my own miniatures). In my opinion it would be amazing if you can recreate all the details of your sketch in a conversion and would truly make for a great mini.

Thanks, Kor Dalron! I myself took another look at the leviathan pics the other day and remembered that I need to finish painting that sucker. I had originally planned to put a dead custodian on his base beneath his foot, but I don’t think anyone is gonna send one my way now that they have a new codex. Gotta figure something else out.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting around to something that's been in the works for years: Zhufor the Impaler and his Blood Cult terminator goons. 

First up, a modified Lord Zhufor. Back when I posted at HeresyOnline, there was someone who made a sick Zhufor, and he inspired me... to literally copy his work, down to the axe he used. :D The brass paint kind of obscures the details in the pics, but you get the general idea. You'll also note I chose to paint him brass, I guess. I wanted him to stand out from the standard World Eaters scheme:

crFjm7Rh.jpg

bhPuxUyh.jpg

4pv11wVh.jpg

And the Blood Cult. It might not be readily apparent, but I increased their height ever so slightly by adding a pin and green stuff between their torsos and legs. I then covered the green stuff with chains. I added a few extra chains here and there, Icons of Wrath on the champions as well.

1fCYcsTh.jpg

7ms0NDhh.jpg

CrVqv7Kh.jpg

u6MY5NDh.jpg

XLNw3Mjh.jpg

uSNRPXRh.jpg

Hope you like 'em!

Dude, I have the biggest (figurative, I won’t flatter myself) boner for the FW World Eaters upgrade kits, I think they’re amazing!

The problem with both the terminator and power armor kits is that the plastic components from GW are comparatively just awful. The squatty legs, just meh... Not the end of the world, but the detail just isn’t on par with FW.

If I were to do it all over again, I would buy Tartaros legs and sculpt my own trim on all of them. Can’t say enough good things about the upgrade kits themselves, though.

Dude, I have the biggest (figurative, I won’t flatter myself) boner for the FW World Eaters upgrade kits, I think they’re amazing!

The problem with both the terminator and power armor kits is that the plastic components from GW are comparatively just awful. The squatty legs, just meh... Not the end of the world, but the detail just isn’t on par with FW.

If I were to do it all over again, I would buy Tartaros legs and sculpt my own trim on all of them. Can’t say enough good things about the upgrade kits themselves, though.

:lol: Alrighty then. Now, do you mean the Plastic Tartaros, or the Forge World ones? Or would either or work?

'cause I was thinking of getting the Cataphractii for the legs for the World Eater Terminators, actually.

Either plastic or resin, both will work. Plastic is cheaper, I guess. Cataphractii could work too, I just think the big flat surface of Tartaros would work best as a palette for sculpting trim.

• 3 months later...

Finally getting back into the swing of things after having moved into our new place and setting up my hobby space. 

First up is the Daemon Prince of Khorne I've been meaning to build for a long time (among a long list of other things). 

Here he is so far:

otoooh3l.jpg

U80eR3Dl.jpg

KQgF8Nyl.jpg

rzVOIZpl.jpg

BPEvhhTl.jpg

Extra armor looks awesome on the Daemon Prince! I like everything I see but the skulls peeking out from the midriff is something I really like. Are they coming out of/showing through his body?

Thanks for the feedback and kind words, all.

Cool Prince! I like the armor, cool mix of parts. I see a few helbrute bits and what I think is a tomb kings shoulder pad, but what is the khorne piece on the chest? Bloodthister?

The shoulder pad is from none other than Nagash himself. The other pad is planned to be the faceplate for a chaos knight. The piece on the chest is from the bloodthirster kit. I forget what it's originally for, but my bloodthirster eschews armor, so there are pieces left over.

I like the spinal cord decorating his left pauldron, making it look as if it was made from a defeated enemy's torso.

That's actually a really awesome image!

That DP looks ace! the extra armour really adds to the model 

I think so too. Especially given that they have a 3+ save and are capable of upgrading to relic armor, I figured he should have a little more protection.

Extra armor looks awesome on the Daemon Prince! I like everything I see but the skulls peeking out from the midriff is something I really like. Are they coming out of/showing through his body?

That's a cool idea, I almost wish I didn't carve away his abdominal muscles and sculpt a plate of armor over his midriff. :P At the moment, they're just decoration affixed to his armor.

It still looks pretty darn wicked! After reading the Talon of Horus the image of the ragged knight and the sculpt of the khorgorath always has me wanting a DP with bones and limbs trying to escape from opening in the daemons flesh.

It still looks pretty darn wicked! After reading the Talon of Horus the image of the ragged knight and the sculpt of the khorgorath always has me wanting a DP with bones and limbs trying to escape from opening in the daemons flesh.

That is an awesome image. I'm doing something like that with my chaos knight, except it's bloodletters coming out of his armor plates.

Also, A NEW CHALLENGER ENTERS THE ARENA (of kits to build and paint with an insane years-long backlog):

p8odWaN.png

Well, I painted a bunch today.

Sloppy as usual (I should really slow down and switch brushes...), and I need to apply a few more thin coats to certain areas before I touch up and wash:

H8olvyil.jpg

UfqOLghl.jpg

zv2R9Oxl.jpg

f9hcfejl.jpg

79enmSGl.jpg

I was looking through pictures of my leviathan WIP (

6WNJHUpl.jpg
), and I decided that (before I finish him, of course :tongue.:) I wanted to revisit and redo my contemptor in a similar style. I wanted him to have a little buddy of sorts.

This was my original contemptor: 

b9XEje9l.jpg

The chainaxe was always just a bit too big. I suppose I could have designed an entirely new way for him to wield it, but my renegade knight is already using one (as well as a Kytan and Lord of Skulls) so I didn't want the weapon to lose its zazzy appeal. 

Here's the new version:

9RenTnol.jpg

Trophy from a slain wolf ancient: WaKKl3Kl.jpg

"Butcher cannon" ranged weapon similar to the leviathan: 3vz2HCkl.jpg

K8IgtBml.jpg

HOLY! I have yet to see these. Your dreads are awesome and otherworldly! I have a sneaking suspicion if you have more they can combine to form their own lord of skulls!

The updated version looks great. It's a shame about that giant chainaxe but it looks super cumbersome. The new axe and the cannon fit perfectly.

As for the wolfy axe leave it as is. So those pups who see it come down for their necks recognize it. Then not only do they feel the cold steel on their flesh but the bitter humiliation that one of their own weapons took their lives.

HOLY! I have yet to see these. Your dreads are awesome and otherworldly! I have a sneaking suspicion if you have more they can combine to form their own lord of skulls!

The updated version looks great. It's a shame about that giant chainaxe but it looks super cumbersome. The new axe and the cannon fit perfectly.

As for the wolfy axe leave it as is. So those pups who see it come down for their necks recognize it. Then not only do they feel the cold steel on their flesh but the bitter humiliation that one of their own weapons took their lives.

Thank you! Mega-zord-Khorne-tron will be a reality, soon enough. :D

That's the plan, for the axe. I'm planning to paint the blade in red, as a corrupted frost axe, as well as the runes in flowing blood or orange hues. These things are already intentionally immensely overrwrought to honor the blood god, and as you point out, there can be cool storytelling elements in place just by leaving something alone. That's also one of the reasons I didn't grind off the World Eaters legion icon peaking out above the shield.

Archived