The Most Terrible of Instruments: Legio VIII 'Night Lords'

BeatTheBeat

Legio VIII
79th Company

'The Sword Of Justice Hath No Scabbard'

"The safety of the people requireth further from him or them that have the sovereign power, 
that justice be equally administered to all degrees of people, that is, that as well the rich and mighty as poor and obscure 
persons may be righted of the injuries done them, so as the great may have no greater hope of impunity when they do 
violence, dishonor, or any injury to the meaner sort than when one of these does the like to one of them. For in this consisteth 
equity, to which, as being a precept of the law of Nature, the sovereign is as much subject as the beggar."

- John Locke

"The justice delivered by our Legion needs to be as empty of compassion as it is unimaginably cruel and horrific. Aye, you call us evil, empty of morals, slaves to lesser and greater sins and judges devoid of judgement. Hear this, Angel: We are everything but. The moment we looked our prey in the eyes and saw it as human, the moment we would take it upon ourselves to measure the punishment to be inflicted, that would be the moment when all that you said was true. 

Until then, as long as we are but the most terrible of instruments imaginable, as long as we do not judge but simply murder, burn and slay to the full extent of our vast capabilities, until that time we are only the bloodiest nail of the Emperor's clawed fist. He knows full well what fate befalls those upon whom He unleashes us. So, you see, if you question our deeds, you deeply insult the judgement of Him. We can't have that, now can we, little Angel?"

- Akzal Tarlok, Legio VIII, to Gabriel Athellanion, Legio IX 

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/2015Aug11_5951_zpsvecqjzyv.jpg

Taratavien Axion, Monarch of the 79th Company, VIII Legio Astartes

Akzal Tarlok, Sergeant of First Tower, 79th Company, VIII Legio Astartes

Cheers,
BTB

Excellent fluff and models.

Love your Locke quote. I've at one time considered subverting a quote by Weber concerning the 'state monopoly on violence' into an 'imperial monopoly on cruelty' for my 8th, but never got round to actually starting them.

Nice! Reminds me of the old chaos space marines in plastic (2nd ed?) where the night lords look black only going into dark blue where the lightning lights it up. I love it! First warhammer models i ever bought, and now im super nostalgic.

Thank you guys! I'm really happy that the models seem to be on the right track, it's a tricky colour scheme to get right, and I'm not used to working with "true" metallics and battle damage, my Word Bearers were mostly NMM and pretty pristine.

Next member of First Tower is done:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/2015Aug13_5953_zps4cekkwla.jpg

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/2015Aug13_5960_zpsln0roahn.jpg

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/2015Aug13_5957_zpsry8cnpdd.jpg

Erza Khol, 'Carnivore', Legionnaire of First Tower, 79th Company, VIII Legio Astartes

"Thus I will punish the world for its evil
And the wicked for their iniquity;
Put an end to the arrogance of the proud
And abase the haughtiness of the ruthless
Let none be too low for my shadow
And none be too high for my blade"

- Traditional oath of the First Tower

"Khol? I have heard of him. Who has not? 'Carnivore', they call him, standing a full head taller than the other legionnaires, with a mind like a rusty cleaver. An Astartes to put transhuman dread into other Astartes, if such a thing was possible. You'd think all of that size and the Mark Three plate would make him slow, but I've seen the vid-capts from the Esthalonia campaign. Seeing him cross no-man's land in a heartbeat, and what he does up close to an enemy line... Made it look like he was a transhuman warhead, and the rest of the squad was just a delivery system. And a safety mechanism, perhaps."

- Eltas Petrikes, Remembrancer, attached to the VIII Legio Astartes

Cheers,
BTB

Thanks guys, glad you like it so far! 

Nothing much exciting today, just two more Astartes assembled for First Tower:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/IMG_1260_zpsz7kjpmac.jpg

Oh, and our dear Monarch has already been demoted to Sergeant, with the current Sergeant therefore demoted to Legionnaire. Bits incoming for fancier Monarch :D 

Cheers,
BTB

As a new and fellow night Lord, I have been looking for an alternative scheme to the rather cartoony forge world blue. I think your scheme is far closer to the 'midnight blue' that is described in the fluff. I also really like the character that you have managed to put into your models so far. Too many people go for rather stock poses but you have avoided that with aplomb.

With these things in mind, how do you achieve the more gritty and realistic look of your night lords? ie, what colours do you use etc?

Archived