A Tale of 18 Hobbyists

GhostMalone

@Mithrilforge: These are not the magos you are looking for! biggrin.png Seriously cool looking admech, almost like Metalika Forgeworld! Maybe your Magos Dominus could be known as the Sandman msn-wink.gif

As t the Assault Marines: 5 of them are the FW Mark 2 assault marines, 1 is a FW Mark 5 assault marine and 4 are Mark 3 despoilers with Mark 2 jump packs... For fluff purposes, the lack od=f strapping on the Mark 3's is that Mark 3 is really just up-armoured mark 2 and the harness is below the additional armour plate on the chest smile.png

As for axes, they are all from the GW Dwarf range, bare heads are from Space Wolves kits. Done the metals but botched them a wee bit. I am running out of time, so I will let them go with maybe a wash and move on.

I will throw up more PIP in the next few days. Basing to be done when I get home. The Wolf Priest Vykryl will get a black spray when I get home and will get painted then, although it might get a little rushed as home time is hobby down-time..

@ Brother SP: Sorry for the late reply. Yes the Wolves seem more like a band of characters, maybe more so than other legions or chapters, which is why they can be fun when not being made into a caricature or stereotype. For me, my Sculpting and imagination are not the best when making things, so painting is a good way. These guys will be fairly uniform as I am trying out a production line method of getting them done.

I feel quite worn down after a few hours and you think you have made very little progress on a model, but when you multiply that by 10, then you see the benefits, plus at my usual speed, it would take me a week to do 1 model :D

And as had been said by so many partoftheship, partofthecrew, partoftheship, partofthecrrew.

@ Atia: damn right it's a sexy chain glaive ;) hehe I've had that part built in anticipation of acquiring a contemptor :p

@ mithrilforge: nope. No cut down tau plasma rifles to make the mounted graviton guns. Don't know to what you are referring. :D and great paint job on your guy too.

Dantay: need more wolves I've always admired your work.

Onward to Glory brothers and sisters of the 18!

Right Dantay has stepped forward to nominate the wolves. I need another four nominated so I can start converting up when I get a chance.

Dantay I'm currently working on converting a standard SW pad to a mk3 pad and will be doing the same for the other pad. :)

SW1: Sounds great... How are you doing it? Thin plasticard to raise the edges and microbeads for studs? I am looking forward to seeing how he looks when you are done smile.png Sounds like your Deathwatch Kill-team is coming together nicely.

Helterskelter: Thanks a lot. It is nice of you to say. You are no slouch either. I have been following you for a wee while. Will endeavor to bring more Wolves to the party, smile.png And that ain't no xenos-tech on the sweet looking Contemptor, It is a Nostraman pattern Mark 1 Graviton weapon, designed in the legion forges of Nostramo Quintus, by Iron Master Helitor Szo-Keltor, prior to the planets destruction at the hands of Legion Master Curze

Hahaha.... Yup. Wasn't sure about the name though, as I do not know too much about the Night Lords although I am going to have to learn ;)

I could imagine the Iron Master, having a servo-harness almost like a cross between Fabius Bile's & Ferrus Mannus' many blades etc. A cold figure even among a legion such as the Night Lords, he has an affinity to logic and machina arcana. His servo harness designed as much to flay and torture the souls of enemy machine spirits, as it is to lovingly maintain the charges under his care

The original plan was to convert up a plastic pad as I have done this a few times for my wolves. Just raise the sides with thin plasticard and probably leave to studs off. I find if you use a good amount of plastic cement it makes a bit of a curve to the joint and a heavy wash sticks so where the studs are is in shadows.

But now I may try to gs a mirror image (as it'll be on the other shoulder) onto mk3 pad instead as I have some spare. If I can't get the wolf head to look right I'll fall back to the conversion idea but I aim to do a sculpt.

I'm looking forward to having a go at sculpting the lamenters pad as well. That's going to be a bit of a challenge with quite a few layers. Normally I just bodge my gs'ing into a single go which quite often sort of works out. But this will force me to do it properly in a planned out way.

The plan is to convert or sculpt the pads on the deathwatch and have them ready for the November/December pledge. It gives me lots of time to get it right rather than rushing hence wanting to get the chapters chosen sooner rather than later.

You could do a moul and then try using procreate to make the symbol, as I think the stuff is fairly flexible.

The curve of the pad is going to give you nightmares otherwise. Alternatively go for a transfer and put it on back to front.

helterskelter: Love the chainglaive,  great pose on the contemptor!

mithrilforge: Really great colours, can't wait to see more painted like that

SW1: If you need more, I would like to nominate a Raven Guard. Every squad needs at least one beakie!

Zujara consider him in the squad. I've got a FW beakie helmet from one of the raven guard kits in the bits box somewhere so that can be used.

Just need one more to complete the squad so who else fancies nominating a chapter. For those of a more chaotic nature you could always have one of the more questionable chapters or a black shield. ;)

Edit: The plan is to do atleast 4x 5 man squads eventually so there's space for everyone.

Lol ... I don't think they have the options for lightning claws. Maybe I should do some vet assault marines as well? Would be much better suited to the lightning claw idea. ;)

I just remember Ghost from some Deathwatch short stories in the Space Marine Anthologies. Each member was armed differently and had nicknames. The librarian was called Prophet and there was an IF with a heavy bolter etc, each with an unofficial call-sign/moniker.

I am making slow headway with my Assault marines, I'll explain why in a bit.

Anyway a group shot.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_224517.jpg

As you can see I have included the recon marines who still sit unfinished. It was actually a bit embarassing. I had to stop painting last time out because I had run out of Black paint, dim-wit eh?

Now for squad shots

Recon Squad, unknown designation...

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_224809.jpg

Squad leader is far right, Muscles is in the middle and the tracker is just to his left. I am envisioning doing the base of Tracker with a wee bit of rubble and blood spater trailing away. If I get fluff done for them anytime soon, you will learn why msn-wink.gif

Central Recon Marine (Muscles) has been named Hjold Halfborn by Brother SP.

First 5 Assault Marines

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_224609.jpg

Centre Marine has been named Kiaran Coldheart after the Aett's favourite Wolf Lord

Second 5 Assault Marines

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_224720.jpg

The marine second right has been chosen by The Psycho, name to follow.

If you are curious about the blue on the axes, it is to help me work out where the light and shadow are for when I paint them tomorrow.

Now for some bits I am quite happy with.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_225135.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_225017.jpg

Faces. Considering most of my 40K Wolves have bare heads as do the Recon Marines, I find them quite hard to do, so I am pretty proud of these 2. They look a darn sight better than in the pics, light seems to have washed them out a bit. They ar 95% done, and next will be the hair. If run in 40K they can be jump pack Wlf Guard, or Sky Claws, the bare head will be the Pack Leader biggrin.png Old dog leading young pups

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_224956.jpg

An unfortunate accident meant he quite literally lost his hand.... And I have no idea where it has gone to, so now he has one hand biggrin.png

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_225055.jpg

Quite a few of my Mark 2 Marines are wearing these on their arms, I was wanting a bit of advice. Should I leave them gold, or should I leave the trim & runes gold, but do the inlay another colour? Grey to match the armour, or black or maybe red??

Last thing.

None of these guys have names.... Except 1, The Mark 3 with the big axe... I am thinking to name him, Kiaran Coldheart. Shout out to fellow Wolf Lord WLK biggrin.png

Anyhoo, I would like to invite folks to pick a pack member and name him. I am going to open this up to the tale of Space Wolves forum also, so if you do not get t name 1 there is plenty more. Next month is tank month though msn-wink.gif

Hopefully the painting has stayed true to the only piece of HH Wolf artwork we have.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/Heresy%20Wolves.jpg

Anyways let me know what you think

@SW1: How about an Iron Knight (which will be my main Loyalist army starting in about 2 weeks) or a Black Templar *hangs his head in shame*.

@dantay_xv: I'll take the bloke to the right of the bare-headed chap in the second 5, if you don't mind. Name him... umm, I dunno, actually. Let me think on this.

Everyone's models are looking great! And I've only got the red on my Lord halfway done so far...

@SW1 why not do one from one of the DIY chapters in the challenge. Like NovemberX November Warriors. Or my Interdictors.

Oh and if you don't have a name for your middle recon sniper dude why not Hjold Halfborn. It's the name of a guy in my novel i am attempting to write who he reminds me of

@SW1 why not do one from one of the DIY chapters in the challenge. Like NovemberX November Warriors. Or my Interdictors.

Oh and if you don't have a name for your middle recon sniper dude why not Hjold Halfborn. It's the name of a guy in my novel i am attempting to write who he reminds me of

Just need to have details of the chapter badges and I'll have them included. The aim is to have every member of the deathwatch from a different chapter and everyone in the challenge gets to nominate atleast one of them. Guess there's going to be a need for home brew or more unusual (ones not usually seen) chapters.

It's more an excersize in pushing my conversion/gs skills than anything else. I may mentally avoid certain chapters due to their iconography being challenging if I was to choose myself. Having others choose takes that side of things away. There will be no transfers used so if I can't do it in gs I have to do it freehand. If the end job looks a bit naff I'll just have to do it again.

Lol ... I'd like to clarify this isn't a request for you to find the most challenging chapter badges. Just choose a chapter you have an affinity for. :tu:

Edit: looks like a post has been eaten by the site.

So Kurama consider the watch captain I'll be doing a white scar (that should be a fun badge to do). And The Psycho I'll do both an Iron Knight and a Black Templar.

Hmmm... Okay, so only 3 Wolves named so far. 12 to choose from.

Awaiting my phone battery to charge up and I have a few pictures, to take and some advice to ask.

SW1: I had a bit of a brain-fart.... If you hae WOlf Guard terminator pads, or even the FW Space Wolf terminator pads for a bit of flamboyancy, then the Wolf's head is facing the correct direction for doing a Deathwatch pad :) If you can wait a week or 2 I could make a press mould for you and stick it in the mail (not sure how well it would survive though)  

SW1: I had a bit of a brain-fart.... If you hae WOlf Guard terminator pads, or even the FW Space Wolf terminator pads for a bit of flamboyancy, then the Wolf's head is facing the correct direction for doing a Deathwatch pad :) If you can wait a week or 2 I could make a press mould for you and stick it in the mail (not sure how well it would survive though)

Wow ... That was a stroke of genius sir. :tu:

I have some WG in TDA with the pads still on sprue somewhere and some instant mould. I think you've just made the pad making a lot easier for me.

Cheers SW1

Archived