A Tale of 18 Hobbyists

GhostMalone

depthcharge12: Model looks amazing, fantastic work on it

Kurama: Everything is looking great, I love your White Scars but be careful with your wrist!

mithrilforge: Looking forward to seeing the paint scheme!

dantay_xv: I think the squad looks great. I'd go with steel shoes myself

Got a few more coats on my Glaive, colours are starting to look better!

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af182/Zujara/Word%20Bearers/glaivewip2_zpsvfrff8mj.jpg

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. I know a lot of folks say "Let me know what you think" and expect nothing but praise, but I honestly prefer the critiques, as it helps me to see where I need to learn more or to help stop repeating mistakes over and over.

Like someone once said "You learn more by losing a game than you do by winning" :D

Besides you are helping to keep me honest :)

Steel toe-caps it is then ;)

I have done the reds but for some reason it is looking a bit garish to me. I'll post a PIP picture tonight as I am hoping to get the golds & metals done first.

For reds I generally do a Khorne red base coat and wash with drakenhof nightshade to get a nice shadow, then I use really thin coats to bring the red up. I think I might have bone too far and made it look comical, but I will see what you guy think first. If it is too red, I either go again or maybe experiment with a touch of blue again. I wish I had some baal red :(

As for the green eye lenses... It is from descriptions in Prospero Burns of the Wolves having gold pinned eyes.. Also Hawser thought he was blind in one eye and saw everything else in a greenish hue (night vision?) anyhow it turns out he wasn't blind, but the Fang has very low/no lighting and so his human eye could not see in the dark whereas his wolf-eye could. Hence I prefer the green lenses over the blue.

As for the stripped back wolves, it was kinda non-intentional. Looking at the artwork in collected visions they are still pretty pelted up and Russ' retinue is described as swathed in furs and carrying harpoon like weapons. I held back on wolfing up the models as I wanted to see if ForgeWorld would match the visions or not so I kept them bare. Also when it came to it, the models are so damned nice I really didn't want to ruin them by sticking random wolf bits all over it.

Anyway pics later... Sorry for the ramble

Zujara, that glaive is looking sweet... Gonna be a shame to have to blow it up :p

Now I'm making some headway with the =][= stuff I'm thinking of my first foray into the marine side of things. Been thinking of doing my deathwatch in honour of everyone taking part in this challenge eventually over the full 7 months. How does everyone feel about selecting chapters to represent themselves?

SOunds awesome!!

Well as I am a Wolf at heart, may I choose a Space Wolf of the 6th Legion as my Deathwatcher? Let me know if you need bits!!

A quick PIP and I warn yo now, the gold is horrifically messy, but do not fear, masking and covering up with the  grey and black will fix it right up.

Also let me know what you think of the reds!!

Tomorrow is steel and clean up, should be getting to the home stretch

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151010_223504.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151010_223938.jpg

Should I paint the top half of the he,met black to match the terminators or grey  to make them different.  Incidentally the red marking was an idea I liked from IA11 which showed Bran Redmaw's troops painting the snouts of their helms red to show they had been "blooded" fighting their enemies :D

I'd go grey as you want your elites really stand out and the extra black should help.  Space Wolves are an army of Characters essentially and without the ridiculous over the top wolfyness of modern 40k there needs to be other ways to make the more boss guys stand out.  I wish you all weren't leading me down the path of 30k though..... My Wife and bank account couldn't live with me if I did...

Dantay my first 5 man squad will have a wolf in your honour. :D

In regards to the helmets grey for standard and black for the wolf guard. I also like the red it gives them a more savage bloody look which suits is down to a tee (yes I'm a wolf at heart). :tu:

Looking awesome chaps :tu:

Sadly,I think this month is a write-off for me. Our house finally sold, but there's been a bunch to do before settlement,plus now I need to find a place and move out before month's end. All of my hobby stuff is already boxed, I didn't realise just how much hobby stuff I have.....

Love the Doom-Locusts... You are on a roll this month.. And I think the Glaive on the Contemptor is inspired :)

@ Grotsmasha... Ah the joys of moving house!! I did 3 days of hauling the heavy stuff, then took off for 3 weeks and left wifey to unpack and tidy :D

Thankfully she left all my modelling stuff in the garage for my return :)

Seriously though, good luck with finding a place & getting moved. Real life before man-dolls :)

Speak to Kurama and take this as your siesta month dude, we all get one month off in this challenge :)  

Allright guys so I have awoken from my slumber and my first point of call is to award helterskelter as the winner of the first months painting artificer award.

My second point of call is to get the hall of honour thread done today.

My third is to join CoC as I made a promise to Atia so I will be working on some skullcrushers for next month.

Fluff will tie them in to my Vth legion.

And grot it's all good if you want a siesta this month real life takes priority.

My third is to join CoC as I made a promise to Atia so I will be working on some skullcrushers for next month.

WUHU!!!!

look at my WIP thread - I hope she motivates you a bit :D

great stuff here,

helter ChainGlaive = wub.png but is that xeno's weapon tech on that beast !?? tongue.png

Dantay, love the axes on your troops...are they Forgeworld on third party?..,and the red suits Bran style ! it draws the eye right to the centre of the model thumbsup.gif

cheers Mithril

sml_gallery_8429_10807_32130.jpg

Magos Vader approves!

I love it too. I really think the balance of white and its shading is perfect. The details pop nicely with white without it being too clinically stark and shiny.

The only thing I find disturbing is that I didn't try this first. tongue.png

May the Motive Force be with you.

Ciao,

R.

Archived