The Grail Wardens: a Liber Astartes Group Project

Doctor Perils

Just tell me when you need something from me, be it Knight fluff or whatever. ;)

Currently working on two Houses at the same time.

Just tell me when you need something from me, be it Knight fluff or whatever. :wink:

Currently working on two Houses at the same time.

Sounds good, if you need someone to bounce ideas off of give me a shout

Edit: I had a thought about the Knights Revenant, what if they are bought into the story once the Knights Resplendent turn? Parent bought in to discipline their child type thing. If we did this and made the Archangels the 5th founding chapter (we still havent heard from that creator). We can then have the best of both worlds it seems

Edited by Minigiant

Edit: I had a thought about the Knights Revenant, what if they are bought into the story once the Knights Resplendent turn? Parent bought in to discipline their child type thing. If we did this and made the Archangels the 5th founding chapter (we still havent heard from that creator). We can then have the best of both worlds it seems

It'd certainly make sense. Though it might be a bit late to discipline the child if they've already run off. Perhaps the Knights Resplendent were showing signs of dissent before turning, and the Knights Revenant were brought in before they turned, to keep an eye on them. Just a thought. Though it might take more than that to get them properly involved.

Quick question for SlaveToDarkness - are you still OK to have the Knights Resplendent be the Chaos Warband that takes part in the Siege of Avalon? It would make the whole thing very thematic, as the Knights Revenant come so close to falling themselves on that day.  I'm sorry if I seem to be making my guys the star of the show here.

It'd certainly make sense. Though it might be a bit late to discipline the child if they've already run off. Perhaps the Knights Resplendent were showing signs of dissent before turning, and the Knights Revenant were brought in before they turned, to keep an eye on them. Just a thought. Though it might take more than that to get them properly involved.

Maybe them turning offends your honour, but yeah I agree I think we should have some signs of them turning. My first thought would be to link my Sisters requests for access to their eventual deceit. As the Grail is supposed to be a well kept secret, the leak of info has to be coming from somewhere

Edit: I have been thinking about the Grail. The use of the 'Grail' to close the rift, the chapters involve make a blood pact to find a permanent solution for it to work, the souls of all the chapters blood lines will be trapped within the grail until the solution is found but if the rift ever opens again, their souls will unleash the full power of the black rage within them. It explains why the chapters want to keep it a secret, explains why they bring in their successor chapters because their bloodlines are also doomed. It also connects it to the flaw.

"With the four (or four) viles of blood we pour into the chalice of [NAME] and form a pact that we pledge and our descendants will honour eternally. Close this rift and send back the daemons to once they came to grant us the time to find the final solution, but if we fail may it unleash the beasts within us upon our enemies"

Edited by Minigiant

Maybe them turning offends your honour, but yeah I agree I think we should have some signs of them turning. My first thought would be to link my Sisters requests for access to their eventual deceit. As the Grail is supposed to be a well kept secret, the leak of info has to be coming from somewhere

Edit: I have been thinking about the Grail. The use of the 'Grail' to close the rift, the chapters involve make a blood pact to find a permanent solution for it to work, the souls of all the chapters blood lines will be trapped within the grail until the solution is found but if the rift ever opens again, their souls will unleash the full power of the black rage within them. It explains why the chapters want to keep it a secret, explains why they bring in their successor chapters because their bloodlines are also doomed. It also connects it to the flaw.

"With the four (or four) viles of blood we pour into the chalice of [NAME] and form a pact that we pledge and our descendants will honour eternally. Close this rift and send back the daemons to once they came to grant us the time to find the final solution, but if we fail may it unleash the beasts within us upon our enemies"

Huh, that could actually work pretty well :) In fact, it would also explain why the Crimson Cohort turn against their erstwhile brothers, as they were not made aware of this clause. And of course, they don't particularly agree with it...

+++

I still think it would be easiest to say that the "Red Crusaders" (the four chapters) are the founders of their Bloodlines, as, if the oath is retroactive (it also affects the founding chapters of the Red Crusaders), then the Blood Angels, and therefore all of the Sons of Sanguinius will be affected. It really would be easier to keep it to the Red Crusaders and their descendants imo.

{really need to get out of the habbit of writing sentences that are as long as a paragraph...}

+++

Olis-san, I can't remember if the Silver Sons simply turn renegade, or turn their corrupted members turn to Chaos Undivided or one of its Gods?

Also, should we recruit another Chaos army to fight alongside SlaveToDarkness?

Finally, I'm suddenly thinking that the Daemons from the Warp Rift of Golgotha could be Khornate, and they are trying to trap the Blood Angels' successors to fall to their Red Thirst (as they did on Signus Prime). However, Slaanesh wishes to stop this, as hse is a Rival to Khorne, and doesn't want to see the other god's power grow so much, which is why hse does hir best to turn the successor chapters to find the Grail and bring it back to Golgotha - hse succeeds in the case of the Knights Resplendant, who had always been arrogant of their combat prowess and their Shiny Armour. That's why they are hunting for the Grail, and not just running away with it clutched in their claws, giggling with glee (I suppose giggling comes naturally to the Slaaneshi, even if the are Astartes...).

+++

So, the [Red Crusaders], along with their allied Knight Household [Kelborn, I've lost the name of your Household :(] take part in the Red Crusade, one of the many Crusades declared after the Nova Terra Interregnum and the fall of Vandire to take back control of the distant lands of Humanity. They start to encounter ever growing hordes of Daemons, and pinpoint the epicenter of the outbreak on the Ancient Shrineworld of Golgotha.

They of course have to stem the flow of Chaos, and they attack the world of Golgotha, the greatest Librarians of the four chapters in the vanguard. It is in the greatest Cathedral of this world, a building a mile long, with a hundred spires reaching to the heavens, and with doors large enough to allow passage of one of the God-Machines of the Mechanicus, that they find the master of these Daemons, a Daemon-Prince of Khorne [He can just as well be replaced by a Greater Daemon] larger than any the Crusaders have fought before, seated above a gaping maw into the Nether-realms of the Empyrion.

This Daemon reveals to the Librarians that he aims on enhancing their power through the use of the Red Thirst, and thus lure them to be his minions (you can see that he isn't a Keeper of Secrets...). The Librarians of course deny him, and fight him back into the Rift, banishing him from real-space for a time. However, they know that if the Rift of Golgotha remains open, he will be able to return as soon as his Lord permits him. They also know that they cannot ask for help from any members of the Ecclesiarchy, the Inquisition or the Grey Knights, for these would surely discover the ties that the Daemon-Prince had been weaving around the Red Crusaders, and condemn them as heretics: they know that they must shut this Warp Rift straight-away, alone.

Therefore, they use the Holy Imperial Relic of Golgotha, a Chalice that was said to have once been used by the Emperor himself at a feast in His honour, at the time of the first compliance of Golgotha. With it, they craft a ritual to close the Rift, using their own life's blood as the chains to bind it, and the Chalice as the Lock.

Once the Chapter Masters of the Red Crusade arrive at the Cathedral, they find the last survivor of the Assault on the Temple, an Epistolary named [Myrddin], who implores them to make a blood-oath, swearing to always protect the Grail, before he expires.

The Chapter Masters obviously comply, and slit their palms to swear the oath, pouring their blood into the Grail and thereby completing the ritual binding their chapters and their descendants to always do their utmost to protect the Grail, adding a clause that, should they fail, their chapters will be consummed by the Black Rage, ensuring the destruction of their ennemies.

They then devise a new organisation, a Space Marine Order to be known as the Grail Wardens, that shall Garrison the Temple of Golgotha, twelve of their number serving for life as the inner circle of the Grail, serving as the spiritual successors of the Librarians who sacrificed their lives to close the Rift, and who alone will know the full secrets of the Grail.

Unbeknownst to them, a young mortal survivor of Golgotha is listening - and though he does not understand all that is being said, he glimpses the Grail, shining with a Thousand Lights, lone standing relic of the Cathedral's many riches, and he understands that it is this Grail that has defeated the Daemons, and must therefore be a manifestation of the Emperor's Will, and he runs out in the streets, spreading the rumour of this Divine Relic, before being gunned down by the Grail Wardens.

It is unfortunately too late, as the rumour is already out...

That sounds really good, Thorn.

To be honest, the name of the House is not written in stone for now. They are currently called: The Knights of the Burning Blade.

So they will participate in the Red Crusade as well? Oh my, already got scenes in my head including them and some Khorne Demonengines and a Lord of Skulls. :D :D

Fits quite well as their are zealots, purging the galaxy with fire and blade. (really sounds like the BT...maybe too much? But that's what I had in mind, when I had the idea. Knight-BTs)

I agree on that we do need a second warband as antagonists. One against all is kind of meh. A Khorne Daemonkin would make sense as they would want the Grail / Chalice for their own rituals or as a manifestation of Khornes power, acting as an anchor for their demon allies. Maybe a (at the beginning) group of the red crusaders, went mad while fighting the demons (red thirst and so on), turning (over the centuries) into a Daemonkin warband.

How about some red angel shenanigans? What happens to him anyway? (I'm not so familiar with his fate.)

@Lord Thorn

That sounds really good.

I am not sure if it is an oversight or you dont want to go that way but if we have 5 founding chapters; Sanguinary Crusaders, Crimson Knights, Carmine Cardinals, Archangels, and Knights Resplendent.

Edit: Seeing as we have yet to hear from EesiOh, if 5 is too many founding chapters we can always kick the Archangels out of the crusade

With that it allows for it to only be descendents and not escalate up to the blood angels. Apart from the Knights Resplendent, where we can bring in their founding chapter later as they have been assigned to destroy their successor chapter now declared traitors excommunicated.

Maybe we dont need it to be any specific chaos god right now, it is just a mighty daemon prince of undivided. It still works, and allows the Knights Resplendent t have contact with Slaanesh during it somewhere.

Finally that young mortal survivor of Golgotha overhearing. From my understanding wouldnt the marines destroy everyone under the belief that they are tainted by chaos?

Edited by Minigiant

Vandire has just been defeated, yet parts of the Imperium have yet to be reconquered following the dire events of the Nova Terra Interregnum and the Age of Apostasy.

In an effort to stabilise the regime of the Council of Terra, the High Lords declare a dozen crusades, targeting various parts of the galaxy, sending out contingents from more than fifty Space Marine Chapters, old and new, and it has been suggested that a thousand new Imperial Guard regiments were formed just in order to take part in them.

This time also marks the first Holy War launched by Sebastian Thor since his accession to the throne of the Ecclesiarch, during which several of the founding orders of the newly-formed Adepta Sororitas fight on fronts spanning the entire Milky-Way.

While the first founding chapters were called to contribute to these crusades, very few were in fact able to participate. In particular, the Blood Angels were randomly assigned  to secure five sectors in the Segmentum Pacificus by the High Lords of Terra, who had at the time seceded alongside Nova Terra.

The IX Legion were at the time occupied with the final destruction of the forces of WAAAGH Vangrod and the Chaos Incursion of Silas Gorehand, and were constrained to pass on their regrets to the masters of Humanity. However, in order to preserve the reputation of the Sons of Sanguinius, the conclave of the descendants of the Blood Angels convened, and proposed a joint force of successor chapters: and so, the Sanguinary Crusaders, Knights Resplendent, [Crimson Knights], Archangels, and the Carmine Cardinals would take part in a campaign that would go down in their annals as the Red Crusade.

This operation would prove pivotal in the history of these chapters, yet today, they remember little of it but the taking of the world of Golgotha. Golgotha had always been an extremely populous planet, and had even been considered a shrine world for three different factions within the Ecclesiarchy for the past two Millenia before the Nova Terra Interregnum.

This of course caused many tensions between the inhabitants, and the secession of the Planetary Governor did nothing but compound rivalries and enmities: finally, civil war broke out among them, a war that lasted five centuries, during which the earth of Golgotha saw countless deaths, murders and other atrocities. These proved to be fertile ground for Chaos Cults, and without supervision on behalf of the Inquisition or the Adeptus Arbites, the religious tensions progressively turned the combat into something unholy.

Little today is known of the events that transpired during those dark years, but when the host of the Red Crusade at Golgotha, they discovered what can be best described as a Warp Rift. Upon the surface of the planet, mortals fought, drank, and cavorted with Daemons.

With the rest of the star systems returned to the imperial fold an all-out assault on Golgotha was being prepared. Initial intelligence reports were in,  an assault on the planets surface was impossible without first removing the two ancient orbital defense cannons situated on each of Golgotha's moons. The cannons would easily cut swathes through any fleet, and effectively end any surface assault if allowed to remain intact. Chapter Master Cesar of the [Crimson Knights] volunteered, his chapter for what would most likely be a one way mission, as the moons were rigged to below to prevent the guns being turned onto the planets surface. Reports indicated that the Rift was located somewhere within the city of [NAME]. The Space Marines of the Adeptus Astartes would be the Emperor’s instrument of divine justice upon Golgotha. They must do everything they could to prevent the growth of rift. The Knights Resplendent were assigned the honour of executing the planetary governor assumed to be found in his residence within the governors palace. The Crusaders, Archangels, and Cardinals would be the first wave upon the city, were they hope to locate the epicenter and create an opening for any surviving Crimson Knights, and the Knights Resplendent to arrive and exploit.

With that the Marines readied themselves for battle. Boltguns and power armour were anointed and blessed one last time by the Company Chaplain for the final assault. Chapters ancient brothers were awoken and their their dreadnought systems checked and declared fully functional by Techmarines. The Chapters were preparing for war, and it would be a war few would forget.

Golgothas Moons

The [Crimson Knights] were to assault and destroy the Orbital Defense Guns, left over from ages past. In order to allow their fellow chapters an opening to assault the planets surface and close the every growing warp rift. The guns would be quick to respond to any ship so Chapter Master Cesar ordered for his brothers to prepare for an immediate launch to the moons upon exiting their warp drives. The Fleet would be divided in two and each would deploy three companies with their four remaining companies left in reserve, the fleet would launch their drop pods and thunderhawks before trying to escape, if escape was impossible they were to abandon ship/

The Adeptus Astartes fleet of the [Crimson Knights] fell out of warp space and quickly moved into position, the order was immediately given to launch the drop pods and Thunderhawks. The launch operation moved with clockwork precision. One after another the Thunderhawks launched and drop pods sped away from the strike cruiser, burning through the atmosphere and plunging downwards, retro-thrusters re-orientating each pod so that it remained true to its pre-programmed landing co-ordinates.

•  Insert Climatic assault here
  •  

[melodrama]

The assault on Golgotha has begun, the Crusaders have landed and the Crimson Knights are locked in combat with whatever we populate the moon-Death Star with. (As it turns out, In this case, "that's no moon" would be an inaccurate observation). They realise that the second moon is preparing to fire. There's nothing they can do - the battle is lost. 

Unless...

They work out some way to pilot the moon at the other moon. There's enough time for the chapter master to deliver a final rousing speech to his brothers and to address the troops on the ground and say manly goodbyes. Then kablooie. Oooh, yess.

With the guns and moons destroyed along with six companies of the [Crimson Knights], the opportunity had been created. Their sacrifice would not be nothing. The orders were given, the Adeptus Astartes fleets of the Sanguinary Crusaders, Knights Resplendent, and the Carmine Cardinals swept into position and launched would they hoped would be the last assault of the Red Crusade.

Governors Palace

• Insert Short story about the Knights Resplendent assassination of Planetary governor - Keeper of Secrets  and first seed of chaos
  •  

Second suggestion (and also a question): the assault on the now thoroughly Slaaneshi Planetary Governor's palace. I like the Knights Resplendent being the ones to take him out, and it could make for another interesting setpiece. They encounter heavy resistance in the initial assault, but once the chapter master and his squad break through and enter the palace, all is eerily quiet.Within, evidence of debauchery and bloodshed abound - the whole place is slick with blood, corpses and evidence of insane partying. Creeping cautiously through the grave-quiet marble hallways, they eventually encounter the Planetary Governor himself, alone in his throne room, surrounded by bodies, probably still with glass in hand. He addresses the chapter master directly, as the battle rages outside the windows. Having long known they were coming to kill him, the entire household had fallen to baser urges in one final orgy of bloodshed and, well, orginess. Something about the whole affair stirs some deep feeling in the entire squad, a primal urge. The Planetary Governor tempts them with the power of the Dark Side of the Force. The Knights teeter on the brink, unsure how to proceed.

But then the moons crash into each other and all hell breaks loose. Bits of debris crash into the planet and wreck the palace. The Governor is mortally wounded. The Knights come to their senses, and the chapter master delivers the killing blow before fleeing the destruction. But the seed of doubt remains.

Assault on Rift

The Crimson Knights had succeeded in their mission, the Sanguinary Crusaders, Archangels, and Carmine Cardinals would not allow such a gift to be dishonoured with failure. As they assaulted the city they were joined by the Knights o the Burning blade. It was clear they had been embroiled in a brutal conflict here for some time. As they push on into the city the resistance began to increase, for every deamon they banished another two laid in front of them. As the battle waged on and brothers fell eventually, the epicentre for this hell was located; the Cathedral of [NAME], the greatest Cathedral upon Golgotha.

A vanguard of the greatest brothers the red crusaders could muster pressed home their advantage, within their ranks walked the five chief librarians of the chapters. Upon entering the building a mile long, with a hundred spires reaching to the heavens, and with doors large enough to allow passage of one of the God-Machines of the Mechanicus, that they find the master of the Daemonic Horde, a Mighty Daemon-Prince of the Chaos Gods, larger than any the Crusaders have fought before, seated above a gaping maw into the Nether-realms of the Empyrion

This Daemon reveals to the Librarians that he aims on enhancing their power through the use of the Red Thirst, and thus lure them to be his minions.

• Insert epic fight scene with the Librarians fighting him back into the Rift, banishing him from real-space for a time.

This banishment would not last forever,  they know that if the Rift of Golgotha remains open, he will be able to return as soon as his Lord permits him. They must seal this rift, together. The Ecclesiarchy, the Inquisition or the Grey Knights must never learn of what transpired here, for they would surely discover the ties that the Daemon-Prince had been weaving around the Red Crusaders, and condemn them all as heretics.

Therefore, it is decided to  use the Holy Imperial Relic of Golgotha, a Chalice that was said to have once been used by the Emperor himself at a feast in his honour, at the time of the first compliance of Golgotha. With it, they craft a ritual to close the Rift, using their own life's blood as the chains to bind it, and the Chalice as the Lock.

Once the Chapter Masters of the Red Crusade arrive at the Cathedral, and realise what has occured, they have no other option but to make a blood-oath, swearing to always protect the Grail, and to never speak of what transpired. Slitting their palms to swear the oath, pouring their blood into the Grail and thereby completing the ritual binding their chapters and their descendants to always do their utmost to protect the Grail, adding a clause that, should they fail, their chapters will be consumed by the Black Rage, ensuring the destruction of their enemies.

In that moment a new organisation was formed, a Space Marine Order, to be known as the Grail Wardens, that shall Garrison the Temple of Golgotha, twelve of their number serving for life as the inner circle of the Grail, serving as the spiritual successors of the Librarians who sacrificed their lives to close the Rift, and who alone will know the full secrets of the Grail.

(I am unsure on the next bit)

Unbeknownst to them, a young mortal survivor of Golgotha is listening - and though he does not understand all that is being said, he glimpses the Grail, shining with a Thousand Lights, lone standing relic of the Cathedral's many riches, and he understands that it is this Grail that has defeated the Daemons, and must therefore be a manifestation of the Emperor's Will, and he runs out in the streets, spreading the rumour of this Divine Relic, before being gunned down by the Grail Wardens.

Edited by Minigiant

That sounds really good, Thorn.

To be honest, the name of the House is not written in stone for now. They are currently called: The Knights of the Burning Blade.

So they will participate in the Red Crusade as well? Oh my, already got scenes in my head including them and some Khorne Demonengines and a Lord of Skulls. :biggrin.::biggrin.:

Fits quite well as their are zealots, purging the galaxy with fire and blade. (really sounds like the BT...maybe too much? But that's what I had in mind, when I had the idea. Knight-BTs)

I agree on that we do need a second warband as antagonists. One against all is kind of meh. A Khorne Daemonkin would make sense as they would want the Grail / Chalice for their own rituals or as a manifestation of Khornes power, acting as an anchor for their demon allies. Maybe a (at the beginning) group of the red crusaders, went mad while fighting the demons (red thirst and so on), turning (over the centuries) into a Daemonkin warband.

How about some red angel shenanigans? What happens to him anyway? (I'm not so familiar with his fate.)

The idea of Knights battling Khornate Daemonengines like Khytans and the like sounds awwwesome (obviously ^^). I had thought that was the original idea? However, Knights naming conventions indicate that they should have a Noble House sounding name. We can still find a way of including the Burning Blade in some fashion though.

If we end up running with the idea of Slaanesh vs. Khorne, a Khornate warband probably wouldn't side with the Knights Resplendent. My gut feeling tells me not to go with talking about the whole pantheon, but only focussing on these two gods as well, so I'd recommend a Slaaneshi Warband ?

I had thought briefly about including the Red Angel into the mix somewhere, but I'm afraid it seems too obvious and Name Dropping-y.

However, Kyriss the Perverse, a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh who nearly turned Sanguinius into the Red Angel rather than Meros, is largely unknown (he hasn't even got a wikia page ^^), so he could be instrumental in the fall of the Knights Resplendant.

@Lord Thorn

That sounds really good.

I am not sure if it is an oversight or you dont want to go that way but if we have 5 founding chapters; Sanguinary Crusaders, Crimson Knights, Carmine Cardinals, Archangels, and Knights Resplendent.

With that it allows for it to only be descendents and not escalate up to the blood angels. Apart from the Knights Resplendent, where we can bring in their founding chapter later as they have been assigned to destroy their successor chapter now declared traitors excommunicated.

Maybe we dont need it to be any specific chaos god right now, it is just a mighty daemon prince of undivided. It still works, and allows the Knights Resplendent t have contact with Slaanesh during it somewhere.

Finally that young mortal survivor of Golgotha overhearing. From my understanding wouldnt the marines destroy everyone under the belief that they are tainted by chaos?

It wasn't really an overssight, it's just that I can't recall us having really a conversation about who would take part in the Red Crusade, those names just seemed to pop up in the story at some point and we rolled from there. However, with the way the Bloodlines and the oath are shapping up, these might not be the easiest to explain away.

Also, I believe Sir Perfluous wishes his chapter to be involved in the Grail long before the Knights Resplendent fall.

The Crimson Knights were originallly to take part in the Red Crusade, but they also were supposed to descend from the Imperial Fists, and César is no longer here for the moment. Of course, the remodelled Crimson Knights could still take part, under a different aspect of the Blood Angels which I don't believe is really represented for the moment: the violent psychopaths (like the Flesh Tearers and the Flesh Eaters).

I get the impression that GWs is moving away from Undivided Daemons, stating that Be'lakor is the only Mortal ever to have been made to ascend by all four gods, and there are rules in FFG's Black Crusade RPG (semi-canon) stating that a character may only ascend if he belongs to one god. Of course, we don't have to play by GW's rules ^^.

I also wanted to put forward that they would destroy all the mortals planet-side, but that the Rumour still had time to spread to the Imperial Guardsmen/Navy and the Knights. It's because of this that other planets and forces hear about it, so new Pilgrims flock to it (which may cause problems in the future ;) ) and the Sistas can hear about it later on.

I didn't have time to finish writing earlier on though X)

It wasn't really an overssight, it's just that I can't recall us having really a conversation about who would take part in the Red Crusade, those names just seemed to pop up in the story at some point and we rolled from there. However, with the way the Bloodlines and the oath are shapping up, these might not be the easiest to explain away.

Also, I believe Sir Perfluous wishes his chapter to be involved in the Grail long before the Knights Resplendent fall.

The Crimson Knights were originallly to take part in the Red Crusade, but they also were supposed to descend from the Imperial Fists, and César is no longer here for the moment. Of course, the remodelled Crimson Knights could still take part, under a different aspect of the Blood Angels which I don't believe is really represented for the moment: the violent psychopaths (like the Flesh Tearers and the Flesh Eaters).

What about we just ditch the Crimson Knights entirely. Bring in the Knights Revenant right at the beginning.

So the first four/five founding are

1. Sanguinary Crusaders

2. Knights Revenant

3. Knights Resplendent

4. Carmine Cardinals

5. Archangels (If EesiOh is still around)

In the draft I have attempted to write I talk of a suicide mission, what if it isnt a suicide mission and the Cardinals do it. Those 4/5 seem to fulfil all the requirements and roles we will need them to fill through the story

I get the impression that GWs is moving away from Undivided Daemons, stating that Be'lakor is the only Mortal ever to have been made to ascend by all four gods, and there are rules in FFG's Black Crusade RPG (semi-canon) stating that a character may only ascend if he belongs to one god. Of course, we don't have to play by GW's rules ^^.

So I suggested undivided because I like the idea of Khorne wanting the red thirst, but I also believe the Knights Resplendent first seeds of chaos is best located in the story/timeline here. I would be inclined to go undivided but if everyone else decides otherwise, I can go with that.

I also wanted to put forward that they would destroy all the mortals planet-side, but that the Rumour still had time to spread to the Imperial Guardsmen/Navy and the Knights. It's because of this that other planets and forces hear about it, so new Pilgrims flock to it (which may cause problems in the future :wink: ) and the Sistas can hear about it later on.

I didn't have time to finish writing earlier on though X)

I had not considered that, I think that is a good idea

I like every word of this! I do have a couple of suggestions of my own, though. Additions mostly,

Firstly, I don't think we should get rid of the [Crimson Knights] altogether - I still like the suicide mission idea. The [Crimson Knights'] destruction would cement the enemy as a real threat. I think if we do keep them in, though, then we should make them go out with a bigger bang. Something a bit more climactic and setpiecey than "There was a mad assault and they all died". A chapter should go out with a bang, in a blaze of glory. Blowing up the moon while they were still on it, crashing the moon into the planet, or into each other.

Wait.

Oh, Emperor, please can we keep the Knights in just for that scene. 

[melodrama]

The assault on Golgotha has begun, the Crusaders have landed and the Crimson Knights are locked in combat with whatever we populate the moon-Death Star with. (As it turns out, In this case, "that's no moon" would be an inaccurate observation). They realise that the second moon is preparing to fire. There's nothing they can do - the battle is lost. 

Unless...

They work out some way to pilot the moon at the other moon. There's enough time for the chapter master to deliver a final rousing speech to his brothers and to address the troops on the ground and say manly goodbyes. Then kablooie. Oooh, yess.

[/melodrama]

I don't care what the rest of you say now, this is my headcanon.

Second suggestion (and also a question): the assault on the now thoroughly Slaaneshi Planetary Governor's palace. I like the Knights Resplendent being the ones to take him out, and it could make for another interesting setpiece. They encounter heavy resistance in the initial assault, but once the chapter master and his squad break through and enter the palace, all is eerily quiet.Within, evidence of debauchery and bloodshed abound - the whole place is slick with blood, corpses and evidence of insane partying. Creeping cautiously through the grave-quiet marble hallways, they eventually encounter the Planetary Governor himself, alone in his throne room, surrounded by bodies, probably still with glass in hand. He addresses the chapter master directly, as the battle rages outside the windows. Having long known they were coming to kill him, the entire household had fallen to baser urges in one final orgy of bloodshed and, well, orginess. Something about the whole affair stirs some deep feeling in the entire squad, a primal urge. The Planetary Governor tempts them with the power of the Dark Side of the Force. The Knights teeter on the brink, unsure how to proceed.

But then the moons crash into each other and all hell breaks loose. Bits of debris crash into the planet and wreck the palace. The Governor is mortally wounded. The Knights come to their senses, and the chapter master delivers the killing blow before fleeing the destruction. But the seed of doubt remains.

++++++++++

Sorry about the rush of thoughts - I think in narratives and setpieces and I find that sometimes dry descriptions don't cut it. Take on board what you wish.

Jeez you guys have been busy! :o

Erm yeah Im down with the Chaos warp beastie thingy castle anthrax kinda thing. Ill have another read of this in a bit. This heat is frying my brain and I seem to have become the 'yarp' guy from Hot Fuzz.

Adding in Sir Perf's comments and idea I think we have come up with at least a draft of the Red Crusade. Now at this moment all chapters are interchangeable really, apart from the Resplendent

Chapters involvement:

Following this handy diagram

gallery_87897_11992_4744.jpg

It creates 4 Lines. Now we add in the Resplendent because we need to taint them with chaos in our story line. That creates 5 founding chapter, 2 from 1 line. Now I have PM'd EesiOh but if I get no reply and we continue to get no involvement, we may have too send the Archangels the way of the Crimson Knights.

My choice of founding members

• Sanguinary Crusaders
  • Knights Revenant
  • Knights Resplendent
  • Carmine Cardinals
  • Archangels/Crimson Knights with Different name (Kill them off)

Draft:

Vandire has just been defeated, yet parts of the Imperium have yet to be reconquered following the dire events of the Nova Terra Interregnum and the Age of Apostasy.

In an effort to stabilise the regime of the Council of Terra, the High Lords declare a dozen crusades, targeting various parts of the galaxy, sending out contingents from more than fifty Space Marine Chapters, old and new, and it has been suggested that a thousand new Imperial Guard regiments were formed just in order to take part in them.

This time also marks the first Holy War launched by Sebastian Thor since his accession to the throne of the Ecclesiarch, during which several of the founding orders of the newly-formed Adepta Sororitas fight on fronts spanning the entire Milky-Way.

While the first founding chapters were called to contribute to these crusades, very few were in fact able to participate. In particular, the Blood Angels were randomly assigned to secure five sectors in the Segmentum Pacificus by the High Lords of Terra, who had at the time seceded alongside Nova Terra.

The IX Legion were at the time occupied with the final destruction of the forces of WAAAGH Vangrod and the Chaos Incursion of Silas Gorehand, and were constrained to pass on their regrets to the masters of Humanity. However, in order to preserve the reputation of the Sons of Sanguinius, the conclave of the descendants of the Blood Angels convened, and proposed a joint force of successor chapters: and so, the Sanguinary Crusaders, Knights Resplendent, [Crimson Knights], Archangels, and the Carmine Cardinals would take part in a campaign that would go down in their annals as the Red Crusade.

This operation would prove pivotal in the history of these chapters, yet today, they remember little of it but the taking of the world of Golgotha. Golgotha had always been an extremely populous planet, and had even been considered a shrine world for three different factions within the Ecclesiarchy for the past two Millenia before the Nova Terra Interregnum.

This of course caused many tensions between the inhabitants, and the secession of the Planetary Governor did nothing but compound rivalries and enmities: finally, civil war broke out among them, a war that lasted five centuries, during which the earth of Golgotha saw countless deaths, murders and other atrocities. These proved to be fertile ground for Chaos Cults, and without supervision on behalf of the Inquisition or the Adeptus Arbites, the religious tensions progressively turned the combat into something unholy.

Little today is known of the events that transpired during those dark years, but when the host of the Red Crusade at Golgotha, they discovered what can be best described as a Warp Rift. Upon the surface of the planet, mortals fought, drank, and cavorted with Daemons.

With the rest of the star systems returned to the imperial fold an all-out assault on Golgotha was being prepared. Initial intelligence reports were in, an assault on the planets surface was impossible without first removing the two ancient orbital defense cannons situated on each of Golgotha's moons. The cannons would easily cut swathes through any fleet, and effectively end any surface assault if allowed to remain intact. Chapter Master Cesar of the [Crimson Knights] volunteered, his chapter for what would most likely be a one way mission, as the moons were rigged to below to prevent the guns being turned onto the planets surface. Reports indicated that the Rift was located somewhere within the city of [NAME]. The Space Marines of the Adeptus Astartes would be the Emperor’s instrument of divine justice upon Golgotha. They must do everything they could to prevent the growth of rift. The Knights Resplendent were assigned the honour of executing the planetary governor assumed to be found in his residence within the governors palace. The Crusaders, Archangels, and Cardinals would be the first wave upon the city, were they hope to locate the epicenter and create an opening for any surviving Crimson Knights, and the Knights Resplendent to arrive and exploit.

With that the Marines readied themselves for battle. Boltguns and power armour were anointed and blessed one last time by the Company Chaplain for the final assault. Chapters ancient brothers were awoken and their their dreadnought systems checked and declared fully functional by Techmarines. The Chapters were preparing for war, and it would be a war few would forget.

Golgothas Moons

The [Crimson Knights] were to assault and destroy the Orbital Defense Guns, left over from ages past. In order to allow their fellow chapters an opening to assault the planets surface and close the every growing warp rift. The guns would be quick to respond to any ship so Chapter Master Cesar ordered for his brothers to prepare for an immediate launch to the moons upon exiting their warp drives. The Fleet would be divided in two and each would deploy three companies with their four remaining companies left in reserve, the fleet would launch their drop pods and thunderhawks before trying to escape, if escape was impossible they were to abandon ship/

The Adeptus Astartes fleet of the [Crimson Knights] fell out of warp space and quickly moved into position, the order was immediately given to launch the drop pods and Thunderhawks. The launch operation moved with clockwork precision. One after another the Thunderhawks launched and drop pods sped away from the strike cruiser, burning through the atmosphere and plunging downwards, retro-thrusters re-orientating each pod so that it remained true to its pre-programmed landing co-ordinates.

• Insert Climatic assault here
  • [melodrama]

Unless...

With the guns and moons destroyed along with six companies of the [Crimson Knights], the opportunity had been created. Their sacrifice would not be nothing. The orders were given, the Adeptus Astartes fleets of the Sanguinary Crusaders, Knights Resplendent, and the Carmine Cardinals swept into position and launched would they hoped would be the last assault of the Red Crusade.

Governors Palace

• Insert Short story about the Knights Resplendent assassination of Planetary governor - Keeper of Secrets and first seed of chaos
  • Second suggestion (and also a question): the assault on the now thoroughly Slaaneshi Planetary Governor's palace. I like the Knights Resplendent being the ones to take him out, and it could make for another interesting setpiece. They encounter heavy resistance in the initial assault, but once the chapter master and his squad break through and enter the palace, all is eerily quiet.Within, evidence of debauchery and bloodshed abound - the whole place is slick with blood, corpses and evidence of insane partying. Creeping cautiously through the grave-quiet marble hallways, they eventually encounter the Planetary Governor himself, alone in his throne room, surrounded by bodies, probably still with glass in hand. He addresses the chapter master directly, as the battle rages outside the windows. Having long known they were coming to kill him, the entire household had fallen to baser urges in one final orgy of bloodshed and, well, orginess. Something about the whole affair stirs some deep feeling in the entire squad, a primal urge. The Planetary Governor tempts them with the power of the Dark Side of the Force. The Knights teeter on the brink, unsure how to proceed.

Assault on Rift

The Crimson Knights had succeeded in their mission, the Sanguinary Crusaders, Archangels, and Carmine Cardinals would not allow such a gift to be dishonoured with failure. As they assaulted the city they were joined by the Knights o the Burning blade. It was clear they had been embroiled in a brutal conflict here for some time. As they push on into the city the resistance began to increase, for every deamon they banished another two laid in front of them. As the battle waged on and brothers fell eventually, the epicentre for this hell was located; the Cathedral of [NAME], the greatest Cathedral upon Golgotha.

A vanguard of the greatest brothers the red crusaders could muster pressed home their advantage, within their ranks walked the five chief librarians of the chapters. Upon entering the building a mile long, with a hundred spires reaching to the heavens, and with doors large enough to allow passage of one of the God-Machines of the Mechanicus, that they find the master of the Daemonic Horde, a Mighty Daemon-Prince of the Chaos Gods, larger than any the Crusaders have fought before, seated above a gaping maw into the Nether-realms of the Empyrion

This Daemon reveals to the Librarians that he aims on enhancing their power through the use of the Red Thirst, and thus lure them to be his minions.

• Insert epic fight scene with the Librarians fighting him back into the Rift, banishing him from real-space for a time.

This banishment would not last forever, they know that if the Rift of Golgotha remains open, he will be able to return as soon as his Lord permits him. They must seal this rift, together. The Ecclesiarchy, the Inquisition or the Grey Knights must never learn of what transpired here, for they would surely discover the ties that the Daemon-Prince had been weaving around the Red Crusaders, and condemn them all as heretics.

Therefore, it is decided to use the Holy Imperial Relic of Golgotha, a Chalice that was said to have once been used by the Emperor himself at a feast in his honour, at the time of the first compliance of Golgotha. With it, they craft a ritual to close the Rift, using their own life's blood as the chains to bind it, and the Chalice as the Lock.

Once the Chapter Masters of the Red Crusade arrive at the Cathedral, and realise what has occured, they have no other option but to make a blood-oath, swearing to always protect the Grail, and to never speak of what transpired. Slitting their palms to swear the oath, pouring their blood into the Grail and thereby completing the ritual binding their chapters and their descendants to always do their utmost to protect the Grail, adding a clause that, should they fail, their chapters will be consumed by the Black Rage, ensuring the destruction of their enemies.

In that moment a new organisation was formed, a Space Marine Order, to be known as the Grail Wardens, that shall Garrison the Temple of Golgotha, twelve of their number serving for life as the inner circle of the Grail, serving as the spiritual successors of the Librarians who sacrificed their lives to close the Rift, and who alone will know the full secrets of the Grail.

(I am unsure on the next bit)

Edited by Minigiant

I agree with just about all of this. A couple of questions, though:

Firstly, what sort of enemies are the Crusaders going up against? I remember reading that one company of marines was enough to take on a whole planet, so three companies from five chapters would only be needed for the steepest resistance. The PDF of Golgotha would be involved, I'd imagine, so I presume the other resistance is the daemons and cultists.

Secomdly, I still think we should leave the exact physical nature of the Grail unknown, each chapter now searching for it basing their concept of it on their own ideologies. Is it a chalice, a person (à la the Da Vinci Code) or something else. It could explain why the chapters split up to search for it.

Otherwise, it's all good. Should we start on a proper narrative?

I agree with just about all of this. A couple of questions, though:

Firstly, what sort of enemies are the Crusaders going up against? I remember reading that one company of marines was enough to take on a whole planet, so three companies from five chapters would only be needed for the steepest resistance. The PDF of Golgotha would be involved, I'd imagine, so I presume the other resistance is the daemons and cultists.

Yeah it needs to be something of a mountain to climb, hmm what if The PDF have turned? And what if we introduce a chaos warband here too? The same warband that teams up the the Knights Resplendent 1000 years later

Secomdly, I still think we should leave the exact physical nature of the Grail unknown, each chapter now searching for it basing their concept of it on their own ideologies. Is it a chalice, a person (à la the Da Vinci Code) or something else. It could explain why the chapters split up to search for it.

Had not considered that, I think it will be difficult but I also think it can create some really interesting dynamics later in the story

Otherwise, it's all good. Should we start on a proper narrative?

I would love too, how we do it though may prove most difficult. I would suggest if we all have a google account, we created a shared google document and work on it together

I'm still unsure as to your reasoning of the Knights Resplendent having to be there, but let's run with it.

However, as the chapter is still pretty much in its infancy, I'd recommend on only having a third of the chapter present: perhaps they have been temporarily taken under the Knights Revenent's wing for training purposes ?

Anyway, we also have to figure out how the Knights Resplendent's curse arises and how it presents itself. Did they have any genetic manipulation ? To what end ? How are they different from the Lamenters ?

If the [Archangels] are also to be exterminated, then similarly we should give them a new name and an epic death. In that case, the Suicide Assault (glorious though it may be) might be more suited to them than to the [Crimson Knights].

In any case, we'll want to get our thinking caps on again to think up replacement names and colour schemes.

I have a couple of name ideas:

• [Golden] Seraphs
  • Foe Feasters (or some kind of Flesh Eater-like chapter)

For the other warband(s), do we all agree that the main components should be BA descended ?

{I think that we are single-handedly killing off more Blood Angels successors than GW has in the past 30 years with this project...}

EDIT: I also think it would be interesting that the chapters all look for different things, but others (ie Arkangilos) disagreed I think. I'd wait for them to give their reasonings once again before moving forwards in this direction.

(i believe at the time a lot of the arguments against it had to do with leaving the reader in the dark about the true nature of the grail as well)

Having a Chaos warband already on site would be a good idea I think, but we have to find a good way of explaining why they aren't destroyed in the Liberation of Golgotha. We also have to think on their means and motives, especially when compared to those of the Knights Resplendent! If they are to be allied against all the Imperial Forces, they can't (easily) have different motives

Edited by Lord Thørn

I'm still unsure as to your reasoning of the Knights Resplendent having to be there, but let's run with it.

However, as the chapter is still pretty much in its infancy, I'd recommend on only having a third of the chapter present: perhaps they have been temporarily taken under the Knights Revenent's wing for training purposes ?

Anyway, we also have to figure out how the Knights Resplendent's curse arises and how it presents itself. Did they have any genetic manipulation ? To what end ? How are they different from the Lamenters ?

My reasoning is more down to elimination because it would seem disjointed and forced to have them turn in between the Liberation of Golgotha and The last Cardinal. If I could be given of an example where it works then I will happily reconsider my position

I definitely think a training cadre is a good idea

I was brainstorming the STD and one idea that seemed like it had some legs to it was a Chapter that has Histrionic Personality Disorder. That was earlier last week and have not heard any more development since

If the [Archangels] are also to be exterminated, then similarly we should give them a new name and an epic death. In that case, the Suicide Assault (glorious though it may be) might be more suited to them than to the [Crimson Knights].

In any case, we'll want to get our thinking caps on again to think up replacement names and colour schemes.

I have a couple of name ideas:

• [Golden] Seraphs
  • Foe Feasters (or some kind of Flesh Eater-like chapter)

For the other warband(s), do we all agree that the main components should be BA descended ?

{I think that we are single-handedly killing off more Blood Angels successors than GW has in the past 30 years with this project...}

Now when I suggested we kill them off, I also thought we could just not write them in. An Epic death could be good (or one epic death for both of them Crimson Angels/ArchKnights)

Name ideas:

Scarlet Sicario

Genesis Terrors

Vermilion Rampagers

I would be inclined to say Yes, sure make it easier

Fine by me :biggrin.:

Cheers for the GDocs share

- Scarlet Sicarii/Sicario could work somewhere, but perhaps not as a full-chapter name ? Perhaps a unique individual or a small organisation within one of the chapters ?

- Genesis Terrors ??? Where did that come from ?

- Vermillion Rampagers... [something] Rampagers is cool, but I don't know if the Vermillion part really adds to them. I think there are enough red-hued chapters here, without adding one more. We can however try to find something in the lexical field of flesh though ? Ravagers could also work: Flesh Ravagers ? Or, to add a Vampiric element that isn't quite as obvious as "Flesh Eaters", what about adding "Dacia" to the Mix (the Dacians were an ancient people who lived around about where Transylvania is... Dacia is also a make of cars) ie Dacian Rampagers/Ravagers ?

Problem is that there are sooooooo many versions of red, knights and blood in chapter or warband names. Therefore it is quite difficult to find some which on one hand fit and sound awesome and on the other hand are not already in use. :wink:

But does it have to be red or blood anyway?

We got the Red Crusade. We got several chapter names consisting of red, crimson and so on.

Why don't we try something different?

The Angel Swords

Scions of Purity (suffering from the red thirst and calling themselves pure...yeah of course :tongue.:)

Winged Blades

for example

btw. What happened to Eesioh? Haven't heard of him since months. oO

Edited by Kelborn

Problem is that there are sooooooo many versions of red, knights and blood in chapter or warband names. Therefore it is quite difficult to find some which on one hand fit and sound awesome and on the other hand are not already in use. :wink:

But does it have to be red or blood anyway?

We got the Red Crusade. We got several chapter names consisting of red, crimson and so on.

That's exactly my point, I don't want an n-th Red Chapter ^^

Why don't we try something different?

The Angel Swords

Scions of Purity (suffering from the red thirst and calling themselves pure...yeah of course :tongue.:)

Winged Blades

btw. What happened to Eesioh? Haven't heard of him since months. oO

Those could work. I was actually thinking along the same lines with "Paragons of Dacia" or "Ravager Lords" a couple of minutes ago (great minds think alike and all...)

I believe I've seen him knocking around recently, but he hasn't logged on since April 24th (before we took the project back up)

I believe I've seen him knocking around recently, but he hasn't logged on since April 24th (before we took the project back up)

I did Private message him telling him about this thread being back. I hoped the auto generated email would find him

I did Private message him telling him about this thread being back. I hoped the auto generated email would find him

Me too, but he might have deactivated the feature.

Or else he's just not interested :(

He could simply be on holiday ^^

Me too, but he might have deactivated the feature.

Or else he's just not interested :sad.:

He could simply be on holiday ^^

Did someone suggest Grail Wardens Holiday!

Those could work. I was actually thinking along the same lines with "Paragons of Dacia" or "Ravager Lords" a couple of minutes ago (great minds think alike and all...)

How about the Ravagers? I've always had a soft spot for one-word chapter names, and the Flesh Tearers have proved that no loyalist's name can be too violent. Giving them a violent Flesh Tearer-like attitude to things could fit their demise well, and would let the chapters embody each aspect of the Blood Angels' character.

EDIT: Had another idea. The potential Chaos Warband that the Knights Resplendent team up with could have had Golgotha as their homeworld - they fell to Chaos at the same time as the planet did.

Or perhaps they had one of the moons of Golgotha as their base, instead of it being one of twp superweapons?

The plan was for the [Ravagers] to launch a surprise assault on the chaos warband's ex-fortress-monastery while the majority of the warband were engaged in the fighting on the surface of Golgotha. Perhaps it was bebeath the surface of the moon in a series of labrinthine tunnels. So the Knights end up piloting the warband's fortress-monastery into their superweapon. Kablooie. The warband's ground forces were demoralised and fled, which is why they're still around today.

Edited by Sir Perfluous

The Ravagers already exist in canon. I know that there are possibilities of having several armies with the same name, but still...

Since the Knights Resplendent are already a renegade chapter, I'd rather see an example of a "classic" warband, that is constituted of members of several different legions or chapters, as this seems closer to the "norm" than full renegade chapters...

It also seems a bit too easy for a chapter (or part of one) to fall to chaos just because their planet has. It would seem to me that they'd have a better grasp on their population, preventing them from falling to chaos.

However, that doesn't mean they can't have a Space Hulk as base of operations, which they manoeuvre into orbit when they smell the pervasive stench of Chaos hanging around the planet.