The Grail Wardens: a Liber Astartes Group Project

Doctor Perils

Here is the very first sketch of House Valcorians history which will be my part in this project:

I found an image via google and it fits so well as House Atreis is based upon the Knights of the Silver Hand and House Valcorian

is based upon the Scarlet Crusade, both fictional organizations in the Warcraft universe.

As I'm not able to post an image I found, here's the link: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/d/d5/ScarletCrusade.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120921201506

Lordahrons Fall – M32

Once known as House Atreis, the people of Lordahron had faced a terrible fate on their homeworld of Lordahron. Seemingly out of nowhere, witches and priests of a death worshipping cult, only known as the Damned, appeared in the northern wilderness of Frostend, the northern continent of Lordahron. Their influence spread until whole Frostend was theirs to control. Even the guarding Knight Household of Strom fell beneath their newly risen army. When the southern kingdoms lost contact, they send an expedition force to look after them. The send ships never returned. Highlord Uther Valcorian, master of the mighty House Atreis, decided to have a look for himself. Along with his son Liam and his Aucteller Ballador Servantes, he travelled to the cold wastes of Frostend. Arriving at the frozen shores, the Highlord and his followers were welcomed by none other than the Knights of House Strom.

Unfortunately for them, the Damned gained control of Stroms stock of Knight Suits and attacked the arriving detachment. Even worse, the cults leader Nar'Rhul appeared, a withering and fouling shade of a man, more dead than alive, heralding the end of Lordahron and its coming rebirth as one amongst many worlds for the great father Nurgle. With that, he casted a spell to resurrect the fallen expedition, Valcorian had sent previously. Outnumbered and not able to stand against the wicked sorcerer, Lord Uther and his men retreated. They returned just in time when heralds from all over Lordahron came to Thoragarde, the main castle of House Atreis, requesting for aid and support. As it turned out, Nar'Rhul had used the conquering of Frostend as a distraction to send his priests in all of the remaining six kingdoms, corrupting them from within. Uther did what he had to do. He gathered all pure forces he could get. All in all he had about 100 Knights and several hundreds of infantries under his command. Out of Thoragarde, they would liberate their homes from the mark of undeath. The reclamation lasted for years but was futile in the end, as the undead armies and the corrupted Knights were getting stronger with each fallen man. Then, the day came, when the very last Knights and citizens searched for shelter behind the walls of Thoragarde. There, they were able to hold back the undead forces for nearly three years. The losses were immense. Liam Valcorian, the heir of his father Uther, died fighting three corrupted Knights, taking two of them with him into the maws of final death.

In their most desperate hour, salvation came on thunderous engines out of the clouds above Thoragarde, the Imperium of man had arrived. While Uther and his diminished forces fought the hordes of undead, the Horus Heresy had ravaged the entire galaxy. During the so called era of the Forging, the victorious Imperium had started countless crusades to reclaim those systems lost because of the Heresy and to claim unknown regions of the galaxy. One of these crusades consisted of none other than the famous Black Templar’s, sons of Rogal Dorn, the Emperor's Praetorian. It was they, who discovered Lordahron. Seeing the last survivors of a once prosperous planet fighting for their life's against the cursed servants of chaos was more than enough to convince the Black Templar’s to make planet fall. Hailing from the skies in numerous Thunderhawks and the like, the angels of death engaged the countless hordes of mindless undead. Even though they were able to drive back the Damned, the crusades commander, Marshal Heinrich, declared that the planet itself was too corrupted to be saved. He offered Lord Uther and his daughter Lady TyriaValcorian, the last members of the ruling House Atreis, and their people a refuge on his ships and promised them to help them to reclaim everything they would need to endure, most notably the STCs within the seven kingdoms castles. Although they were able to save thousands of citizens, hundreds of loyal servants, most notable the Houses' Sacristans and enough resources to keep their Knights functional, not all STC shards could be recovered. In an apocalyptic duel between Lord Uther and the sinister Nar'Rhul in front of one of the precious artefacts, the castle surrounding it was annihilated. Though Lord Uther fought fiercely in his ancient Knight suit Bringer of Light the sorcerers powers were too great to overcome them. Knowing that he neither could defeat his enemy nor would escape him, Uther set the engines of his old suit on overdrive, resulting in an explosion strong enough to destroy the STC and to vaporise the champion of Nurgle once and for all. With his sacrifice and the final death of Nar'Rhul, the forces of the Damned were acting confused, buying enough time for Uthers daughter Tyria to evacuate the last Knights of the forlorn world they had once called home.

Back on the ships of the Black Templars, the survivors of Lordahron watched their world burn when the fleet enforced an Exterminatus on it. Descending from all seven kingdoms, they needed a leader, the needed a future to look on. All remaining barons, dukes and the like declared that they would only follow the orders of Tyria Valcorian, rightful heir of House Atreis. Tyria accepted their vow and declared that from now on there shall be no more difference between House Atreis, Strom or Boriak. They all had lost their home and were all equals in this new galaxy which lied before them. The gathered Knights raised their fists and belowed the new name of their unified, new Household: Valcorian.

Following the events on Lordahron, House Valcorian held a deep grudge against every form of sorcery or mutation. Their spend time as an ally of the Black Templars, made them as fanatical as the sons of Dorn. But instead of ignoring loyal psykers like the Templars under Marshal Heinrich did, the Sacristans of House Valcorian started to experiment on them. After many years of research, they were finally able to turn caught psykers into a weapon which could be used by the scions. They modified the Knight suits, hiding a small cell behind every Knights shoulder crest. There, a psyker would be placed before every battle. When his powers were needed, the Scion would activate the necessary systems, opening the shoulder crest and releasing the psykers enhanced powers, be it a kinetic shield, a lightning storm or the ability of foresight. Normally, the usage of the psionic powers to such a degree is too much for a mortal body to handle. Therefore in most cases, the psykers die a short but terrible death. But some are not so lucky. Sometimes, a psyker survives the battle. If that is the case he will be treated until he is ready to be used again in the heat of battle, hoping that this time it will be his last act of duty.

Since the loss of Lordahron, House Valcorian gained much influence. A loyal ally of the mighty Black Templars, many Freeblades or small Houses which were at the brink of extinction, joined them, raising their numbers into the hundreds. Furthermore, their relations towards the Black Templars and later the Ecclisiarchy resulted in receiving command over their own crusading fleet consisting of several dozen capital ships, their flagship being the Tyrias Hand, an Avenger-class Grand Cruiser.

Edited by Kelborn

Sorry Kelborn, I'll have to read this later.

I was just thinking about the grail: what if it produces a reaction similar to the Red Thirst or the Black Rage in mortals when they are exposed to it? Could be a reason for chaos, in particular Khorne, to want it, as a separate reason then oppening the rift ?

Also, if the Imperial Faction has three forces, the Grail Wardens four or five chapters, perhaps we should give the Chaos Faction a bit more of a fighting chance, by giving them a third one too ? But not a warband this time. What about a Dark Mechanicum contingent, possibly with Skitarii, who are also interested in the Order of the Abyss's Ark ?

The "Lines of []" were an idea to refer to the "families" of Chapters, to avoid having to refer to the "successors of the Carmine Cardinals" etc.

It is also quite in keeping with the Arthurian Tales, as a lot of the Knights of the Round Table are actually from the same families, and are often referred to as descending from an important figure in the lands, often kings of the different realms.

Here, the lines of [] would be named for instance after the chapter master who swore the oath of blood at the end of the red crusade. The ones that are up for the moment are temporary and need to be changed, as they are a tad too obvious.

Hope that helps a bit ?

Yeah. I also saw you guys still wanted a quirk with the Grail that makes it desirable. If I remember correctly you decided against something specific because I was against it. Well I revoke that position, and would like to throw in the suggestion of maybe prophecy. Since it was the bloodlines of Sanguinius that made the sacrifice in activating the artifact, it would make sense to me. It also makes it highly desirable.

It could be rumored or real, and would require contact.

Edited by Arkangilos

Yeah. I also saw you guys still wanted a quirk with the Grail that makes it desirable. If I remember correctly you decided against something specific because I was against it. Well I revoke that position, and would like to throw in the suggestion of maybe prophecy. Since it was the bloodlines of Sanguinius that made the sacrifice in activating the artifact, it would make sense to me. It also makes it highly desirable.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I'm generally against prophecies (I find that it is too stereotypical, and is a poor excuse for good storytelling and characters having to do their own thinking), but in the case of Sanguinius's blood, there should be some possibilities...

Have you got any more precise ideas?

Sorry Kelborn, I'll have to read this later.

I was just thinking about the grail: what if it produces a reaction similar to the Red Thirst or the Black Rage in mortals when they are exposed to it? Could be a reason for chaos, in particular Khorne, to want it, as a separate reason then oppening the rift ?

Also, if the Imperial Faction has three forces, the Grail Wardens four or five chapters, perhaps we should give the Chaos Faction a bit more of a fighting chance, by giving them a third one too ? But not a warband this time. What about a Dark Mechanicum contingent, possibly with Skitarii, who are also interested in the Order of the Abyss's Ark ?

Could explain why the lone survivor runs out screaming from the cathedral

I was thinking a third one too, a Dark Mechanicum one could be good. Maybe that is what ties the sisters and Kelborns Knight house together. The Dark Mechanicum are enemies of his knights but are also after the Ark. The enemy of my enemy, is my friend

I am not following sorry, quirk?

A trait that makes it unique besides the fact that it is keeping the rift shut. No one outside of maybe the inner circle really knows that it is holding back the warp, but it's possible that it is resonating a force that causes prophetic dreams to certain people or something. Either way, because of something that allows it to be known (necessary so that your people would know about it) it's attracted the attention of certain groups. Chaos wants it for the opening of the rift, we want it to shut the rift, but then both of us know about it.

You wouldn't unless there was some appeal and beacon like thing, or a heretic/traitor let slip some rumors of a Grail that could tell you the future

Edited by Arkangilos

A trait that makes it unique besides the fact that it is keeping the rift shut. No one outside of maybe the inner circle really knows that it is holding back the warp, but it's possible that it is resonating a force that causes prophetic dreams to certain people or something. Either way, because of something that allows it to be known (necessary so that your people would know about it) it's attracted the attention of certain groups. Chaos wants it for the opening of the rift, we want it to shut the rift, but then both of us know about it.

You wouldn't unless there was some appeal and beacon like thing, or a heretic/traitor let slip some rumors of a Grail that could tell you the future

Right, following now. Makes sense, I like it

If we're looking to tie your Sisters in, Minigiant, and come up with a quirk for the Grail, I have an idea. The Order of the Abyss is obsessed with recovering arteracts, isn't it? Why not have something like the

Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain? We could invent a list of artefacts based on that, attribute some of them at least to the Ark (somehow) and make the Grail one of them - perhaps the One Grail to Rule them All. The Thirteen Treasures has an Ancient British / Arthurian theme that'd fit quite well.

The Grail could have been a holy artefact before it was used to seal the rift - perhaps it was because it was one of these Treasures in the first place that it was so effective. Eventually, your Sisters learn that the Wardens have unknowingly stumbled across one of the artefacts thay seek and once the Wardens fall, seize upon the opportunity to retrieve it for themselves.

Edited by Sir Perfluous

If we're looking to tie your Sisters in, Minigiant, and come up with a quirk for the Grail, I have an idea. The Order of the Abyss is obsessed with recovering arteracts, isn't it? Why not have something like the

Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain? We could invent a list of artefacts based on that, attribute some of the at least to the Ark somehow and make the Grail one of them - perhaps the One Grail to Rule them All. The Thirteen Treasures has an Ancient British / Arthurian theme that'd fot quite well.

The Grail could have been a holy artefact before it was used to seal the rift - perhaps it was because it was one of these Treasures in the first place that it was so effective. Eventually, your Sisters learn that the Wardens have unknowingly stumbled across one of the artefacts thay seek and once the Wardens fall, seize upon the opportunity to retrieve it for themselves.

Something like this could work, but I don't think we should give full explanations for all thirteen relics, just like Vulkan's artefacts aren't all described precisely

Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain? We could invent a list of artefacts based on that, attribute some of the at least to the Ark somehow and make the Grail one of them - perhaps the One Grail to Rule them All. The Thirteen Treasures has an Ancient British / Arthurian theme that'd fot quite well.

Something like this could work, but I don't think we should give full explanations for all thirteen relics, just like Vulkan's artefacts aren't all described precisely

It could be simply that the relic of golgotha on which the  ritual was performed on, was one of the thirteen. I think it should be eight though, more nautical (That can be worked out later)

Would anyone like to attempt to write an epic battle sequence that banishes the Deamon?

Because I think once we have a draft of the moon assault and that bit, we have a draft of the Red Crusade. From there we can work on refining it

I agree that thirteen is probably too much. We'd need to dream up some sort of origin for them - a mythic one at the least. Maybe attribute them to Sanguinius? Although thinking about it, there are probably enough relics in the galaxy that Sanguinius once forged / used in battle / sat on / bled on already. It wouldn't explain why your sisters are interested, either.

Why there are so many Treasures devoted to food, I have no idea. I remember reading about them when I was younger and feeling really let down. These are the legendary relics of the British isles - you'd expect swords and shields and horns that summon storms. A pair of winged shoes at the very least. Nope. Here's your magic hamper, mighty hero.

I'd love to write the epic battle sequence, but I need time. I've got an awful lot on at the minute, but I might be able to get some stuff done tomorrow afternoon. I'm still working on the moon assault, as well.

No, the relics should be Xenos of origin. The only thing that ties this one to the bloodline is that it was activated using the lives of our librarians (one of my former chief librarians being one of them). Then the Grail was built *around* the artifact and blood was placed in as a promise. That was to hide the kind of device, and make the promise.

Afterwords, because of the design, people forgot it was Xenos.

Unless we want the artifact to not actually look like what we would consider a Grail?

I'll attempt to write the sequence

Edited by Arkangilos

No, the relics should be Xenos of origin. The only thing that ties this one to the bloodline is that it was activated using the blood of our librarians (one of my former chief librarians being one of them). Then the Grail was built *around* the artifact and blood was placed in as a promise.

Unless we want the artifact to not actually look like what we would consider a Grail?

I think by now we're sticking with the Grail shape.

If we want to go down the Xenos origin path, it should be an extinct race (to avoid them bothering us, as implicating three human factions will already be complicated enough imo).

No, the relics should be Xenos of origin. The only thing that ties this one to the bloodline is that it was activated using the blood of our librarians (one of my former chief librarians being one of them). Then the Grail was built *around* the artifact and blood was placed in as a promise.

I think by now we're sticking with the Grail shape.

If we want to go down the Xenos origin path, it should be an extinct race (to avoid them bothering us, as implicating three human factions will already be complicated enough imo).

Yeah, they are extinct. My thing was that I didn't want it to be of human design.

But I mean, I don't really mind either way, so long as what we did could be seen as desecration to it if it were a human relic

Edited by Arkangilos

On a more positive note, I would be interested in trying out some rules and fluff for a character or two, and possibly some wargear and such. I also think that this project could move into being some kind of supplement, as I get the impression that supplements and warzones are much less fleshed out, and so require less work.

If you want, here's a list of characters and wargear I'd be ready to try and flesh out more:

- Chapter Master Levan;

- Forge Lord Cnaeus and the Red Company;

- [Telestine] weapons.

I think I will flesh out

- The Canoness at the time

- Confession suits

- Vengeance Engines

Work in progress picture of said Vengeance Engine

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/forumfiles/img_1476.jpeg

On a more positive note, I would be interested in trying out some rules and fluff for a character or two, and possibly some wargear and such. I also think that this project could move into being some kind of supplement, as I get the impression that supplements and warzones are much less fleshed out, and so require less work.

If you want, here's a list of characters and wargear I'd be ready to try and flesh out more:

- Chapter Master Levan;

- Forge Lord Cnaeus and the Red Company;

- [Telestine] weapons.

I think I will flesh out

- The Canoness at the time

- Confession suits

- Vengeance Engines

Work in progress picture of said Vengeance Engine

Nice ! (no more liks :( )will you be adding things on the ends of the weapon? If not, it looks a bit short for a quarterstaff.

Also, have you got another model to provide scale ?

I have free time! Oh frabjuous day, now I can properly finish up the narrative bits. So expect that soonish. 

Lovely looking model there, by the way, Minigiant.

Good to hear :-) and Thank you

Nice ! (no more liks :sad.: )will you be adding things on the ends of the weapon? If not, it looks a bit short for a quarterstaff.

Also, have you got another model to provide scale ?

Yes, double ended chainsword. Think Skorges weapon from Gears of War 2

At the moment best description is dreadknight size. Also working on Confession suits (Centurions). Will get a picture together soonish with those, the engine and basic marine most likely

Edited by Minigiant

My near complete Vengeance Engines are over on my Index Sororitas for those interested

Any progress on those sections people? Maybe share some WIP so we can help out

I have been thinking, now shoot this down if its difficult or would be awkward to shoe horn into the story

Now as you know I am writing my own story between my Sisters and my Tau, this happens hundreds of years apart. Now I could easily have two seperate canoness's leading the order, but what if my canoness achieve living sainthood status during the 2nd Red Crusade?

My near complete Vengeance Engines are over on my Index Sororitas for those interested

Any progress on those sections people? Maybe share some WIP so we can help out

I have been thinking, now shoot this down if its difficult or would be awkward to shoe horn into the story

Now as you know I am writing my own story between my Sisters and my Tau, this happens hundreds of years apart. Now I could easily have two seperate canoness's leading the order, but what if my canoness achieve living sainthood status during the 2nd Red Crusade?

Wait, since when has there been a second red crusade :eek: ?

I thought there was just the Red Crusade, then the Burning of Golgotha that leads to the Grail Quest ? Though some call the elements that look for the Grail "Crusades" because of their peculiar organisation, I don't think that means that it is a Crusade as such: it isn't an all-out war in the objective of (re)capturing land. I might have missed something though...

Otherwise, I have to admit I've been rather caught up in work and ETL recently, but I'll do my best to get some more done here in the coming weeks.

For my narrative, what I've written so far for the assault on the planetary governor's palace includes forces from the Knights Revenant and Resplendant as a joint strike force, with the parent chapter taking their sons under their wing, and idea that I believe was suggested a while ago. If you think I should stick to just the Knights Resplendant, I can change it, just wanted to run it by you before making it our canon. 

SlaveToDarkness, if you're around, do you have any details, like marine and chapter master's names, armour colour schemes, etc. that you want including? 

And by the way, do we actually know what it is that the forces are fighting here? Daemons from the rift, I presume, and the planet's PDF? I presume they'd have gone rogue as well.

Edited by Sir Perfluous