Hey guys, finally got into 30k again after a long absence last night! I had a close battle against a nearly all infantry deep striking blood angel list, and I was doing well until, as usual when facing off against this particular opponent, I faced off against a CCW monster of a hero. And, as usual, due to other important targets that needed to die and the sheer amount of close combats I had to juggle, this one guy ripped apart my lines. 

So, my question is, how to deal? I could post my list soon, but it's my usual standard of mostly shooting robots. I just want to know how cybernetica can really deal with a slamguinius that just seemed unstoppable.

Hey guys, finally got into 30k again after a long absence last night! I had a close battle against a nearly all infantry deep striking blood angel list, and I was doing well until, as usual when facing off against this particular opponent, I faced off against a CCW monster of a hero. And, as usual, due to other important targets that needed to die and the sheer amount of close combats I had to juggle, this one guy ripped apart my lines.

So, my question is, how to deal? I could post my list soon, but it's my usual standard of mostly shooting robots. I just want to know how cybernetica can really deal with a slamguinius that just seemed unstoppable.

What kind of cc character did he play?

What kind of cc character did he play?

I think it was a preator, but it was a blood angel guy with a jump pack, iron halo, arti armor and a sword that caused 2 wounds per every wound that went through. My dominus managed to survive for two rounds but the entire game I did 1 wound to him.

Edited by Tiger9gamer

Yeah sounds like your standard Blood Angels Praetor with Blade of Perdition.

aside from artalaxes, is there a way a dominus or archdominus to counter one?

Anything S8 to ID him, basically; he doent have access to Eternal Warrior.

Preferably by shooting.

Edited by Slips

Yeah sounds like your standard Blood Angels Praetor with Blade of Perdition.

aside from artalaxes, is there a way a dominus or archdominus to counter one?

Even Arlataxes (or the Homonculex) would really need to get the charge, and even then - I don't think will be able to chew through him at a rate that doesn't involve mass attrition on their behalf.

I think aside from Scoria, mass shooting, etc. - it might be prudent to also commit to destroying everything else whilst avoiding combat - or trying to 'tar-pit' him with Thralls if you have them. Rabidbunneh's suggestion of the tankier Dominus (probably surrounded by a coterie of Castellax) is likely to be one of the better ways within a standard Mechanicum list - and at least keeping them locked in combat helps you whittle away everything else...

Fearless Thralls are your friend as well as Instant Death as Slips said. The best he'll have is a 4++ to save him and if that goes... SPLAT.

If you can get Rad Grenades or Scyllax in combat with him to lower his T down to 3 (or even 2!) he'll start to be very worried indeed...!

Darkfires with Blind also a decent option (if unreliable).

Yeah, like others are saying I'd focus on interceptor through aug scanners and occulari. Secondary to that, a tarpit unit works. Your robots aren't good enough to go toe to toe with him.

If you want to go toe to toe with him, then you're looking at a knight or Scoria. Problem with those is that you have to be in a position to counter charge which is unlikely if he's deepstriking his whole army.

thanks guys. I may try an archmagos dominus next time, replacing a squad of thallax for him and an extra ten men of thralls. I wish dominii gained powerfists as well... but my question is can you use all your mechanicator array attacks as your base attacks, or only as the two extra?

thanks guys. I may try an archmagos dominus next time, replacing a squad of thallax for him and an extra ten men of thralls. I wish dominii gained powerfists as well... but my question is can you use all your mechanicator array attacks as your base attacks, or only as the two extra?

You will want more than ten thralls!

Ten Thralls are around the same wounds as 3 Thallax yet a lot easier to shift!

You will want more than ten thralls!

Ten Thralls are around the same wounds as 3 Thallax yet a lot easier to shift!

don't worry, I already have a second squad of 15 thralls hanging around! It's just so I hopefully have more scoring units, as I would be losing out on the thallax if I go with the dominus

• 1 month later...

Hey, finally found people to play HH with so I wanna start Mechanicum.
Since were gonna aim to hit a 2k milestone, here´s the list i wanna play :

++  Crusade (Mechanicum: Taghmata Army List) [2001pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magos Dominus [90pts]: Cyber-familiar, Laspistol

Magos Prime [310pts]: Abeyant, Archmagos Prime, Augury Scanner, Cortex Controller, Cyber-familiar, Machinator Array, Malagra, Mastercraft a single weapon, Paragon Blade, Power Fist, Rad Furnace, Rad Grenades

+ Troops +

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple [210pts]
. Castellax class Battle-automata: 2x Bolter, Mauler Bolt Cannon, Shock Chargers
. Castellax class Battle-automata: 2x Bolter, Mauler Bolt Cannon, Shock Chargers

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple [465pts]: Enhanced Targeting Arrays, Frag Grenades
. Castellax class Battle-automata: Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Two Power Blades
. Castellax class Battle-automata: Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Siege Wrecker
. Castellax class Battle-automata: Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Shock Chargers

Thallax Cohort [145pts]: Phase Plasma-fusil, 3x Thallax

+ Fast Attack +

Arlatax Class Battle-automata Maniple [210pts]: Arlatax, Paragon of Metal

Vorax Class Battle-automata Maniple [160pts]: Bio-corrosive ammunition, Frag Grenades
. Vorax Class Battle-automata: Lightning Gun

+ Heavy Support +

Thanatar Class Siege-automata Maniple [266pts]: Enhanced Targeting Array, Searchlight, Thanatar Class Siege-automata

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Traitor

Legio: Legio Cybernetica

++ Total: [2001pts] ++

And a question regarding Abeyants: Any recommended base size or just build my Model how I like it?

Looks like a good list - although there'll no doubt be a few suggestions for various personal preferences, I'd drop the Thanatar's searchlight, just to hit the points total in the first instance!

It's the sort of list I like to play, although you'll need to remember only your Thallax will be scoring - getting some Tech Thralls would be helpful for that, especially as they are rather cheap yet so useful. I think at that level of points too, you might want to consider dropping the Vorax out for a Vulturax (or more than one, if dropping other things), to help ramp up your anti-vehicle capacity.

I'd be tempted to switch two of the combat orientated weapons onto the Castellax with Maulers (or all three, if you could find points for a third one). Given Darkfire's longer range, you're probably less likely to see combat - whereas the Maulers will have to be close. ETAs would be great, but recognise at this points level - that's a premium item.

I think the main thing to consider, over all others, would be thinning down the HQ costings: potentially, mirror the Dominus (with Abeyant and Mach Array or similar if you can invest), and just cut down the Prime's equipment. You'll want as many HQs as possible for a Cybernetica list, so having two cheaper ones, and one that's a bit hardier for combat/shooting is a great compromise. Any excess points? Invest elsewhere!

Hope that's helpful - that said, I think I'd be tempted just to change up the HQs in the first instance, and then play with the list generally, see how it performed, with the possibility of adjusting for taste or your local meta, and go from there!

And a question regarding Abeyants: Any recommended base size or just build my Model how I like it?

Nothing per se - they come in all shapes and sizes, the little 'snail' Magos had one, as does the larger Archmagos model that doubles as Draykavac - so whatever works!

I'd echo what Chaeron says too, at 2000pts a 300+pt Arch Magos Prime is a huge investment, who probably won't make much of that back. He's basically there to buff robots, not get into fights. Obviously up to you but I'd remove basically all of the wargear on him bar maybe the machinator array and add something shooty. He then Stands with the Darkfires/ Mauler Castellax and gives them preferred enemy against any unit with a Character in.

Use the points youve saved to beef up the Vorax, sadly they're a bit useless without numbers due to a 4+ save and Krak grenades.

You could also look at exchanging the Plasma fusils for Melta bombs on some Thallax, but that's personal preference.

Ok thanks for the feedback.
So something more like this :

++  Crusade (Mechanicum: Taghmata Army List) [2000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magos Dominus [80pts]: Augury Scanner, Laspistol

Magos Prime [245pts]: Archmagos Prime, Augury Scanner, Cortex Controller, Machinator Array, Malagra, Photon Thruster, Rad Grenades
. Power Weapon: Power Axe

+ Troops +

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple [250pts]: Enhanced Targeting Arrays, Frag Grenades

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple [420pts]: Enhanced Targeting Arrays
. Castellax class Battle-automata: 2x Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Shock Chargers

+ Fast Attack +

Arlatax Class Battle-automata Maniple [210pts]: Arlatax, Paragon of Metal

Vorax Class Battle-automata Maniple [240pts]: Bio-corrosive ammunition, Frag Grenades

+ Heavy Support +

Thanatar Class Siege-automata Maniple [265pts]: Enhanced Targeting Array, Thanatar Class Siege-automata

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Traitor

Legio: Legio Cybernetica

++ Total: [2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

So I changed the Prime and  got one extra Vorax in thanks to that.
Are the Radnades worth so the Castellax can ID t4 people?
Should i drop the shooting weapon on the Prime? So i can get and Abeyant.

Yep, rad grenades are certainly worth it, but which unit is the Prime running with? The mauler Castellax are too few but the Darkfires probably don't want to be in the fray, right?

If you can you'd want a chainfist on him as youve gone Malagra. S10 Armourbane is nasty.