IO - The Mechanicum Abyssii

Talonair

Do Mechanicum warships have better range than standard Imperial ones?

I would assume so, the Mechanicum keep the best tech for themselves, plus whilst a standard Imperial warship would have a contingent of Tech-Priests on board, on a Mechancium ship almost everyone on board who isn't a Skltarii or menials is a Tech-Priest, meaning the ability to maintain and repair would be much improved. Also, the mechancium routinely sends its ships out on Explorator missions, long voyages into the unknown, so I imagine Mechanicum ships are designed for range at least in th case of Explorator fleets

Talonair, I want your opinion. Would you rather have the Abyssii in a Mechanicum supplement book where they get primary focus, or do you prefer the Abyssii be a part of the core series at the cost of a smaller spotlight?

I'd say supplement book for now, but I believe the plan is that essentially half-way through the Insurrection when the war reaches near the galactic core, Nox becomes a major stalling point, starting with the 'serkers chasing what is left of the Shepherds to Nox, followed by failed attempts at exterminatus and invasions

She's observant, quick-witted and far more able to improvise than many of her peers. Unlike many Tech-Priests, when it comes to battle she's willing to abandon routine and set engagement protocols and strategise 'on the fly' if the situation requires, making her a very flexible commander, drawing her ships back to goad the enemy into advancing into a trap etc. She's a supremely skilled naval commander who has a disdain for anyone not involved in naval endeavours and footsloggers in general, very rarely leaving her flagship, normally only appearing outside her ship by proxy (broadcasting through a dedicated servitor etc)

• 5 weeks later...

Err, Tal, problem. Conversion beamers can't be used on the move at all, so I can't see them being viable for the Maahres Stormbird. What should we swap it for?

Edit: my suggestions - accelerator cannon, Volkite carronade, volcano cannon. Leaning towards the accelerator.

Edited by bluntblade

Heavy Conversion Beamers can't, Conversion beamers can if you are a vehicle/have relentless. Unless I specified Heavy and have forgotten

Accelerator could be good, if you mean the one off the Sicaran. Otherwise an additional super-heavy class weapon could be pushing it a bit

• 3 months later...
Got a query about the Contact at Nox. Why would a Mechanicus sect name a ship the Glory of Summer? Forge Worlds don't really have seasons, and I don't see why they'd care for them anyway. Might Omnissian Resolve work better?

The Glory of Summer is one of the Abyssii's Arks, and it has borne that name since it's discovery. No one in the Abyssii felt brazen enough to question or change the name the Ark's identifiers presented, so the name stuck and the Abyssii ship naming system adjusted to fit

• 1 month later...