IO - The Mechanicum Abyssii

Talonair

I absolutely love this unit. It's an awesome unit to take down enemy MC's from range; wounding on 4's with a reroll to generate pseudo-rends is ace to hunt down big buggers when they can just hop around outside of any sort of range (12"+2d6" Thrust, oh my!). Only blind spot I see is the inability to hit Swooping FMC's; with the new Proto-Super Blight Drone expected soon from FW, so maybe consider stealing the Icarian ability too? (If don't move, they can gain Skyfire for that turn if they wish).

So, a few other ideas I've had for special units for the Abyssii:

A large quadrupedal Siege automata with a howda built into its back that serves as a transport for smaller units, as well as featuring heavy weaponry that can only be fired by the mounted unit, along with some smaller weapons fired by the automata itself. Monstrous creature like the other automata but with the ability to carry a unit

Fast-moving drones that scurry to enemy locations and hijack targets by latching onto and buzzing-off their heads before wiring into their CNS to create crude and expendable servitor 'zombies'

drone coordinators that are augmented to 'fly' solely using maglev units and dispatch literal flocks of small mindlinked drones to harass targets, scout locations or, in sufficient numbers, flood a location and strip it down to the bone

networked murder-servitors that can link together to form a single heavy unit or break apart into a number of fast-moving close-combat units

spider-bodied praetorians that climb around and attack from weird angles using heavy bolters and terrifying blade tentacle things

A 'parallel' unit of sorts to Breachers, using grenades, shields and shotguns/plasma casters that double as power or chain axes in melee

Do any of these unit ideas seem good to anyone? I'd really appreciate feedback

I think that the Crewed weapons would cost somewhere in the region of 2/3 to 3/4 of regular versions. I wouldn't go less than that because the opportunity cost of sticking a small unit into the transport to use the weapons isn't enough to offset their overall power too much. Oh and for costing transport capacity: low levels <10 should cost relatively little due to not being able to take anything other than minimum-sized units. I'd probably cost the 8 transport capacity at no more than 5-10pts.

My instinct says that it should probably be 200+ points all told, due in no small part to being T8, which is a big step up over T7 (immunity to S4 attacks). Of course all of the above is just my opinion YMMV.

I can only remember old and big. Personally i favor this look. Bit it is a bit small and may be to sexy

http://media.gadgetsin.com/2013/06/the_toughest_girls_of_the_galaxy_collectible_mini_figure_series_1.jpg

Her actual body is still largely human in shape, even graceful with a serene-looking mask for a face. However, emerging from her back like a spider is this massive array of mechadenrites, servo-arms, injector arrays, sensors, linked servo-skulls etc. Her scythe is pretty massive as well, and the blade is oriented like a warscythe's (i.e., pointing up from the haft rather than perpendicular to it)

Personality-wise she is as methodical and ruthless as one would expect for an Archmagos, however she has a slight whimsical side, largely shown by the naming preferences of the Abyssii's fleets. Moveover she is of the opinion that becoming like the machine does not necessarily demand a total departure from emotion, as machines themselves have emotions as demonstrated by the ability of the machine spirits to become angry, or show displeasure. She treats emotion as part of a machine, a part that like any other needs to be carefully maintained and monitored so it does not foul, but a part nonetheless

Like her mask, she sounds oddly serene, her voice carefully modulated over the millenia to inspire respect and trust in those she wishes to be on diplomatic terms with, as she speaks subsonic and supersonic cadences perfectly toned to have just that effect on the human mind. Likewise, when she wishes to inspire fear, those sonic cadences change to trigger fear in said human minds

Hm. I didn't know we had a female Archmagos already. That seems alot like what I had in mind for the image of Settra Val, Archmagos of the Mechanicum Xei 'An. Looks like I need to rethink her look. But it's nice seeing more ladies in charge in our setting.