The Beast Arises

Vorenus

Weak is going to be a relative term in that case Vesper, as it will never be defended by 3 space marine legions ever again. So yeah, it was heavily defended during M31 but it's never going to have 3 legions to defend it ever again. 3 legions was a third of all loyal space marines in the galaxy by 014.m31. There will never be 300k space marines in one place by 40k.

Hell, a third is being overly generous since the Raven Guard, Salamanders, and IH wernt coherent fighting forces any more and probably didn't have as many legionaries between them as one of the remaining loyalist legions. So you're looking at nearly half of the space marines on the galaxy defending one place.

Weak is going to be a relative term in that case Vesper, as it will never be defended by 3 space marine legions ever again. So yeah, it was heavily defended during M31 but it's never going to have 3 legions to defend it ever again. 3 legions was a third of all loyal space marines in the galaxy by 014.m31. There will never be 300k space marines in one place by 40k.

Hell, a third is being overly generous since the Raven Guard, Salamanders, and IH wernt coherent fighting forces any more and probably didn't have as many legionaries between them as one of the remaining loyalist legions. So you're looking at nearly half of the space marines on the galaxy defending one place.

Best point made so far in this discussion, IMO

I never expected astartes in great numbers to be around Terra at this point. But, there are many great powers that are not the astartes. The Mechani...Adeptus Mechanicus, in spacial distance, is right next door. 

The Navy's presence (or lack there of) in the heart of the Imperium always irked me, but I've said that already. Is there no ship capable of firing a few cyclonic torpedoes at the Attack Moon? Certainly those still exist, as Exterminatus is a well known feature of the 40k lore, and we can only assume that in M32 they would still have that capability, if anything quite a bit moreso than by M40/41. 

Remember the Crusader Host? It's entire purpose was to leave a guard at Terra as the Crusade expanded outwards. After the events of the Heresy, such a concept is abandoned because Terra and the IofM is somehow in a better state than it was during the height of the Crusade? 

Someone else made a point about the setting being someone else's take on what is ultimately a setting, and as much as I would have preferred to see Terra incinerate the Attack Moon without so much as a hiccough, and see it as a statement of the Beast's power, abilities and resources, rather than a direct threat in and of itself, I think ultimately that previous poster has the right of it. While I think there could have been more room to explain why Terra was so undefended, this is a unique story with a unique take on the state of Terra at the time, and I am going to try to not be too critical about what each author wants me to think. Clearly, if this series is meant to show us anything, it is that the political leadership of Terra is ill-suited for the task of responding to this situation. 

Re-reading Predator, Prey, and just finished the once scene that makes Vangorich look like a complete badass.

Following the Ecclesiarch by taking the face of his most trusted servant that was with him for decades to the point of Mesring not even knowing he was different. Infiltrating, on a major feast day no less, into the private chambers of a high lord of terra in a church surrounded by armed fanatics. Giving the slimeball corrupt Ecclisiarch what must have been his first truely painful experience and threatening him with his own digital weapon ring as he gave commands. Then pretty much giving the ring back before walking away with his back turned on the man he just poisoned and threatened....

That is a badass.

Then Thorpe got his hands on him and turned him into a chump. To beef up the Inquisitor

I guess they could have moth balled any orbital weapons, ground based nukes. All though, really. 

The Heads are from official art coloured black.

The bodies are the Pillar Men from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

This is the image that started it all.

I wonder what came first. Them or 2000ad's Torquemada's Terminators.

"Finishes the latest Beast Arises book."

That odd sound you just heard was Ezekyle Abaddon crushing a stress ball with his Talon, upon hearing that Greenskins managed to humiliate the Imperium's highest-ranking leaders worse than he ever has.

Then Thorpe got his hands on him and turned him into a chump. To beef up the Inquisitor

I wouldn't say that this was any particular author's choice. That's simply the overall plotline the team came up with for the series. I didn't see anything damning in Wienand having her ways to find things out and even surprise the Grand Master of Assassins. Its her job to know things. She's the Inquisitorial representative, after all.

Maybe the transhumans started stacking the HL again after this bunfight got sorted?

The Codexes have been saying this for some time, but I'll tuck it into a spoiler tag in case anyone is reading the series without this prior knowledge.

The Beheading happens, immediately after the Beast is dealt with. The Grand Master of the Assassinorum, for reasons unknown, assassinates the entire High Lord council (by which I take to mean the actual High Lords, and not the lesser lords that follow around like the Grand Master of the Assassinorum had become). A Space Marine taskforce, which included the Imperial Fists!, is sent into the Assassinorum temple. Only one survived to reach the Grand Master, and the Grand Master is killed.

Here is where it gets interesting! The Ultramarines show up, alongside other (I want to say 50) Chapters, walk into the Senatorum and lock the doors.

When the doors are opened once more, the new High Lords have been selected and the anarchy ends.

Now, to bring it back to your question, we don't necessarily know if this is when the Custodes or the Astartes got their revolving spot among the High Lords. But this seems like the most obvious point in time for them to stack the council, as you put it.

With regards to your spoiler....

THAT is what I would love a novel or two or three or four about! I have really enjoyed the politics of this series. It is a great look at the all too human mechanics of Imperial government, and that fascinates me. Of course, I realize that I say this because I think we all want to see the collective High Lords be purged by the Astartes (after they were first purged by the Assassin Lord) because of how they have behaved so far. But Just think what a good writer could do with that material...

The Imperium is once again secure, out of the havoc of The Beast's designs, order has been reestablished. A shadowy Assassinorum Grand Master pulls the strings of the newly installed High Lords, and all seems well. But In The Grim Darkness of the Far Future, the Adeptus Astartes, having played a crucial role in stemming and reversing the tides of The Beasts incursions, see just how important a stable, competent and focused leadership is, and take matters into their own hands. Will they be welcomed at Terra? Will they be feared? Will they be...resisted? Could the Assassinorum Grand Master conceive of using his influence over the Imperial Navy to urge armed defiance against the collective might of dozens of chapters? Will the ambition of one man once again plunge the Imperium into anarchy? In this trilogy, Dan Abnett, Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Chris Wraight illuminate the gripping period of the fallout of the Beast's devastation. 

Maybe the transhumans started stacking the HL again after this bunfight got sorted?

The Codexes have been saying this for some time, but I'll tuck it into a spoiler tag in case anyone is reading the series without this prior knowledge.

The Beheading happens, immediately after the Beast is dealt with. The Grand Master of the Assassinorum, for reasons unknown, assassinates the entire High Lord council (by which I take to mean the actual High Lords, and not the lesser lords that follow around like the Grand Master of the Assassinorum had become). A Space Marine taskforce, which included the Imperial Fists!, is sent into the Assassinorum temple. Only one survived to reach the Grand Master, and the Grand Master is killed.

Here is where it gets interesting! The Ultramarines show up, alongside other (I want to say 50) Chapters, walk into the Senatorum and lock the doors.

When the doors are opened once more, the new High Lords have been selected and the anarchy ends.

Now, to bring it back to your question, we don't necessarily know if this is when the Custodes or the Astartes got their revolving spot among the High Lords. But this seems like the most obvious point in time for them to stack the council, as you put it.

THAT is what I would love a novel or two or three or four about! I have really enjoyed the politics of this series. It is a great look at the all too human mechanics of Imperial government, and that fascinates me. Of course, I realize that I say this because I think we all want to see the collective High Lords be purged by the Astartes (after they were first purged by the Assassin Lord) because of how they have behaved so far. But Just think what a good writer could do with that material...

The Imperium is once again secure, out of the havoc of The Beast's designs, order has been reestablished. A shadowy Assassinorum Grand Master pulls the strings of the newly installed High Lords, and all seems well. But In The Grim Darkness of the Far Future, the Adeptus Astartes, having played a crucial role in stemming and reversing the tides of The Beasts incursions, see just how important a stable, competent and focused leadership is, and take matters into their own hands. Will they be welcomed at Terra? Will they be feared? Will they be...resisted? Could the Assassinorum Grand Master conceive of using his influence over the Imperial Navy to urge armed defiance against the collective might of dozens of chapters? Will the ambition of one man once again plunge the Imperium into anarchy? In this trilogy, Dan Abnett, Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Chris Wraight illuminate the gripping period of the fallout of the Beast's devastation. 

"In this trilogy, Dan Abnett, Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Chris Wraight illuminate the gripping period of the fallout of the Beast's devastation.' - where have you seen this??????

"In this trilogy, Dan Abnett, Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Chris Wraight illuminate the gripping period of the fallout of the Beast's devastation.' - where have you seen this??????

Lol sorry dude. It was written to be wishful thinking. 

I can definitely see both sides. Needing a Mandeville point is a good... point, but I would expect Terra itself to at least have at least a few planetary defence systems in place. It probably would have only taken about a page to illustrate that all the heavy defenses were entrenched closer to the systems edge and that Terra's meagre artillery was not enough to destroy the attack moon.

As for the Custodes, they were probably too busy...

http://41.media.tumblr.com/529ba28b14e16e328cf99e6a79cb8926/tumblr_inline_npfbtrBiw21rzg3rp_500.jpg

...mourning

These guys make my day every time I see them. So much love for Bruva Alfabusa.

Were these official GW art at any point or just something he whipped up? I cant recall ever seeing them before this

Hey, I recognize this. I have that album. cool.png

No way I can not pick up the audio book of Throneworld Saturday. Gah, far too many books to read still. At least these audio books are more in line with fair pricing based on run time. Hopefully the Primarchs match this later this year as I feel like they will be about the same length as TBA books, 50,000 -60,000 words. Anyone know different? I'm stoked for that series anyway.

Lol sorry dude. It was written to be wishful thinking.

Hehe - almost bought it biggrin.png It was sooo good

No way I can not pick up the audio book of Throneworld Saturday. Gah, far too many books to read still. At least these audio books are more in line with fair pricing based on run time. Hopefully the Primarchs match this later this year as I feel like they will be about the same length as TBA books, 50,000 -60,000 words. Anyone know different? I'm stoked for that series anyway.

120 pages

Just finished the book.

Quick Opinion BT focused:

Great book. i enjoyed it, as i did with every Haley book so far. He delves deep into the BT Emperor worshiping, and after reading the awesomeness of the Marshall Dreadnought, its ok. They are still mutant loathing, witch hating, zealous warriors. i really didn't expect the longshanks to be cleansed, followed by an Emperor Protects. I had a laugh. This is the grim dark hypocrisy i like so much.

Also its great that he gave a purpose to this faith shenanigans.

Enjoyed it.

Just finished the book.

Quick Opinion BT focused:

Great book. i enjoyed it, as i did with every Haley book so far. He delves deep into the BT Emperor worshiping, and after reading the awesomeness of the Marshall Dreadnought, its ok. They are still mutant loathing, witch hating, zealous warriors. i really didn't expect the longshanks to be cleansed, followed by an Emperor Protects. I had a laugh. This is the grim dark hypocrisy i like so much.

Also its great that he gave a purpose to this faith shenanigans.

Enjoyed it.

I'm curious you saw this as deep ... I kinda wish there was more anthropology of religion behind it, more thought and slowing down (although Koorland's observations were good, as he assumed a politcal role in relation to the BTs and to the various High Lords!). But still I wish some academic thoughts or scholarship on religious culture underpinned what was presented - it felt unnuanced. The Marshall was rather depthless in his faith, and the 'magical' conviction of it against the Wyrdboy felt strangely uncommented on (except by a 'heroic' tone in the writing). The conversation with the High Marshall was better, however I guess we shall return to this. 

Certainly if this novel had an overt theme, it was 'faith' - giving time to the Ecclesiarch too, as well as the rather dull BT dreadnought and the Warsmith's recourse to the loss of the Imperial Truth - and also the conversation between Kubik and the two Magos Biologis (even if it itself was a lie, since he is ready to leave Terra behind). And of course how faith is enacted, which can be seen as hypocritical by others. I'm not sure I like the Ecclesiarch's final revelation - it felt tragicomic to an extent. 

Maybe what I wanted was more of a nuanced discussion of mediation, which was brought up several times but left dangling also, and liminality, which is also fundamental to religious experiences and ritual.

Still, it was fun, enjoyable and drove the plots on. And Vangorich was at his Cromwellian and Vetinarian best, not the overt figurehead, but more like the power behind the throne. The Beast Krule continues to be interesting, as do the assassins on Mars (even if they have no real personality). And Koorland's examination in this volume was needed. Further this novel(la) answered many of the questions from upthread - where were the Custodians, what of the Terran defense, etc. There is an issue about the Black Crusade still - yet centuries are centuries and more so, the imperium is beyond comprehension in scale.

Evidently i did not read so much into it as you did. When i said he delves deep, it was not in a matter of clearly explaining it, but on using it a lot. it was a turn around from the other books that barely mentioned that.

Almost every Kooland observation had religious fervour implied.

I think the Marshall scene with the weirdboy, was just to show the practical implications of such faith, it feels that the IW that witnessed the "heroic" moment were not dumbstruck by it. 

Maybe some centuries in the warp does that.

I liked it a lot, im not a book critic, and every bit of attention on my Chapter is always welcomed.

Evidently i did not read so much into it as you did. When i said he delves deep, it was not in a matter of clearly explaining it, but on using it a lot. it was a turn around from the other books that barely mentioned that.

Almost every Kooland observation had religious fervour implied.

I think the Marshall scene with the weirdboy, was just to show the practical implications of such faith, it feels that the IW that witnessed the "heroic" moment were not dumbstruck by it.

Maybe some centuries in the warp does that.

I liked it a lot, im not a book critic, and every bit of attention on my Chapter is always welcomed.

Yes, it was the first book to really differentiate each successor, and there is that wonderful moment when Koorland notes how distinct each is from one another. 1500 years is a long time; it's a shame that the next 8500 apparently contain no change wacko.png

Yes any love for the BTs is welcome, even if it shows how horrible they are too. Genocide is ugly, and I wish there had been more about this - that scene happened, then no consequence. Of course everyone in this saga is awful it seems, but still - it felt like a dropped plot, a 'cool' scene, rather than something which Koorland, who could be the reasonable pov (even for a man called slaughter), would think more about.

Archived