ART - Symbols, Icons and Badges

AlphariusOmegon108

Some Households have a knight helmet on top of their crest, blades in the back and so on.

Had the following in mind (pattern = crests from the FW HH books):

samurai helmet

lightning bolt -  Minamoto mon (picture) - lightning bolt

crossed katanas / wakizashis

Or would that be too much?

I think it could work, but is this for BoTL or 40k ? In 40k all knight crests are halved, with either half an aquila or half a cog mechanicum.

It would be for both. Only their fluff regarding the rest of the Imperium would be changed. Currently I'm working on the canon version at first.

If it should be halved, no problem at all. Should work as well.

It would be for both. Only their fluff regarding the rest of the Imperium would be changed. Currently I'm working on the canon version at first.

If it should be halved, no problem at all. Should work as well.

Is it Imperial-aligned or Mechanicum-aligned ? the Imperial crests are a bit easier to do I find, as the Mechanicum ones generally have kinds of "stars" behind the crests, with loads and loads and loads and loads of little rays coming out from the center... which of course is a pain to do ^^

Hey guys,

can someone help me in turning this:

http://rlv.zcache.com/kamakura_minamoto_mon_japanese_clan_gold_on_black_lapel_pin-r7112a7de033149329fcab294fcaa140f_zwdkn_324.jpg?rlvnet=1

into something that looks more like a WH symbol? Will be the crest for House Toho. :)

I actually love this as-is, the fact that it's not overused WH skulls 'n' ting* makes it pop.

*Shuddup, my guys are mean.

Its imperium aligned. Would never do a Mechanicum one as I dislike them. Can't explain why but I don't like the idea of Knights being forced into submission by the Mechanicum. They are Knights. They should be independent. ;)

Its imperium aligned. Would never do a Mechanicum one as I dislike them. Can't explain why but I don't like the idea of Knights being forced into submission by the Mechanicum. They are Knights. They should be independent. http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/msn-wink.gif

Glad I'm not the only one who refuses to do Mechanicum knights.

Heh, I like Mechanicum Knights. The.mechanicum is often one dimensional (essentially a technological Tyanid Swarn, when you think about it), and Mechanicum Knights actually introduce a new dynamic to it.

Also, Knights being independent is like calling a Knight Templar, or a Samurai independent. They'll be largely autonomous, but more likely subservient to the whims of the household as it is they who control the Sacristans and auxiliary gear. Sure they can go it alone; ronin or freeblades, etc, but the houses survival is dependent on the alignment with the doctrines of the forces it serves alongside. A Knight who enjoys mad charges and singing celtic war songs like a Berserker of old.is not going to fit in with the Dune Seroents style of

• 1 month later...

Ok guys,

here's my first version of a crest for House Toho. After 1 1/2 hours of hard work with paint (lacking good programms and the necessary skill ^^), it looks like this:

As I said earlier, I had something like this in mind. Though I'm quite pleased with it, something is missing. It just don't look like a HH crest.

What do you think?
Edited by Kelborn

Why not add a set of Aquila wings spreading out from the ring and behind the katanas?

EDIT/Thought of the Day: Hate the Typo, kill the Typo.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

If you want to play up the japanese theme, perhaps some rays extending out from the circle, rising sun style? Maybe in a different color, like yellow or red? One thing that might help is transposing the design onto a shield shape or banner shape so you can see how it would look on an actual Knight.

On a related note, is there an 'official' design for the Legio Gojira icon yet? If not, I'd love to try my hand at designing it. I basically grew up on Godzilla movies, and *insert meme here* graphic design is my passion, so it's something I'd be honored to do, or contribute to.

Edited by drakzilla

• 2 weeks later...

Just a minor resuscitation of this thread as it just struck me, do we have a colour scheme and symbol for the pre-Raktra VIIth, the Shepherds of Eden? It might be pertinent if the Shepards revert to their old colours after they split from the Berserkers after Khârn's minor tiff with ol'papa R. http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/ermm.gif

EDIT: Sharp eyes Blunt, cheers.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

So after doing some random thinking about the Insurrectionists' symbol, I realized that it is a bit too Chaos-y for the early Insurrection, and imo looks a tad cluttered. For example, when you look at the Eye of Horus, it is immediately recognizable, can translate to black and white, and lacks any Chaos symbology, so it can be used for early and late Heresy. Yet it still conveys a menacing image. Both it and it's loyalist counterpart, the Aquila, are iconic symbols that have a simple sillhoutte, something that is key to effective symbol design, and that frankly our current one lacks. So with that said, I'm proposing a new symbol that meets the criteria I mentioned before.

The Eye of the Storm(born):

http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11930/sml_gallery_92945_11930_24912.jpeg

Now this is an obvious callback to the infamous Eye of Horus, but I think that works in our favor. There is the problem that it may be a little to close to the symbols of the Godslayers and the Nightguard, which is why I also mocked up an alternative:

http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11930/sml_gallery_92945_11930_8604.jpeg

Obviously I can play around with the design further, but at least the idea is down.

Thoughts?

Well I definitely wanted to include the eye because A: The connection to the canonverse traitors and B: The play on words :P

Hadn't thought about the focus crystal, will have to give that a try. The original Lightning Bearers symbol that this is based on already kinda incorporated it into the design, so would that be a bit redundant?

Thing is that the eye is already the symbol of the horus heresy and i think we should make clear that this is a universe standing on its own. But the symbol looks cool. Would prefer the second

Second reminds me of a shuriken. :)

How about placing an Oni mask in the middle of the cross with the peaks still emerging from the skull. On its forehead can be either a special third eye or the crystal of Icarion.