Leviathan Siege Dread tactics

depthcharge12

If they remain in pod, how does shooting work vs them?

They get shrouded and can shoot out of the pod and people can shoot in. But as they have a 4++ you won't need the shrouded much...

I also think that you are immune to assault, as they technically can't charge through the pod into you...

Edited by Charlo

If they remain in pod, how does shooting work vs them?

They get shrouded and can shoot out of the pod and people can shoot in. But as they have a 4++ you won't need the shrouded much...

I also think that you are immune to assault, as they technically can't charge through the pod into you...

Nope.

It's an open topped vehicle and you don't have to disembark after landing it. Simple as that.

That means you can shoot out of it in any direction and can't be assaulted just like Orks in a Wartrukk for example.

Quite a good thing if the Droppod lands in a good spot.

:/ no need to be rude about it...

But I am pretty sure the dreadnought drop pod has burning retros that give it, or anything that it obscures through line of sight, the shrouded rule on the turn of arrival.

At least, that's what 1d4chan and the Eye of Horus podcast say.

Oh, it shouldn't sound rude. I was aiming for a casual remark about the rules. ;) Sorry about that.

And you are right. In the turn of arrivel the pod gets shrouded. Even if the Leviathan embarks and is standing on one of the doors it gets shrouded as well.

Where does it say about it being open topped and the dread remaining inside as I can't find the rules? I've looked in the red book but seems ambiguous?

Horus Heresy book 3 (?) Massacre. Page 196.

But normal Droppods are usually open topped anyway. :)

Ok, so here's my hurricane pattern Leviathan:

This thing stays in its pod and unleashes 12 storm cannon shots, 3 phophex blasts (rerolling wounds on marines since 3+ poison S5), and 4 twin linked volkite caliver shots :drool:

Small point of clarification that makes a super shooty leviathan maybe 3% less awesome. The poisoned re-roll for strength higher than toughness only applies to melee weapons.

Ok, so here's my hurricane pattern Leviathan:

This thing stays in its pod and unleashes 12 storm cannon shots, 3 phophex blasts (rerolling wounds on marines since 3+ poison S5), and 4 twin linked volkite caliver shots :drool:

Small point of clarification that makes a super shooty leviathan maybe 3% less awesome. The poisoned re-roll for strength higher than toughness only applies to melee weapons.
That's still ok, it was just a bonus anyway :D

I plan on making one just for the sheer awesome it looks like.

Edit: maybe the dark Angels will get a mortis pattern :P jk

Edited by depthcharge12

Yeah it stands a very good chance to survive the turn it plops down, especially if it's into cover. I think a claw/drill and storm cannon loadout is a good compromise as you can come down, pop some rear armour/open up a transport, and then charge the contents inside or something else nearby on the next turn.

Even if it didn't survive, the amount of stuff your opponent would have to fling at it to actually put it down would be game changing.

I'd bet it would leave the rest of your army virtually unmolested. 

Posted · Hidden by Flint13, December 7, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Flint13, December 7, 2015 - No reason given

Drop Pods of all types in 30k are pretty much just ceramite & plasteel Void Shields. If they land where your opponent doesn't want them to, "You're gonna have a bad day!"

Was that just a RussianFPS quote?

The Grav Having Ignores Cover also means that its mulching anything that requires cover to stay alive such as Castle Lists.

And since the Pod is Open Topped, you can fire that bad boy out of it on the turn you drop in.

I really like the grav option for the Leviathan, but I think it needs a little bit of a shift in rules for the final version.

It doesn't really become apparent until you get a bunch of models under the template, but it should probably give a negative to the strength check or some such. Rolling a ton of separate 2d6's gets pretty cumbersome. 

That being said, Ignores Cover on that thing is magical.