Leviathan Siege Dread tactics

depthcharge12

Says who? I have not seen that restriction.

Says the Leviathan Dedicated Transport options (bolded the important bit):

"A Leviathan Dreadnought Talon numbering a single Dreadnought may select a Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod or a Kharybids Assault Claw as a Dedicated Transport. Note that owing to its size, it may not be transported in other types of Drop Pod."

How small a table are we talking about here? Can you bring a Deathstrike missile? :smile.:

You could go by majority strength on a per unit basis.

That doesn't speed this nutty rolling up though ;)

The chance of rolling 4 or under on 2d6 is 6/36, so if your opponent is fine with it, just roll 1d6 and they pass on a 1. That covers most things, if you are htting t3, roll 1 die each, and roll a second die for each 1 and 2 (how i do mass armourbane on low av). For things that are tougher you will be getting so few hits doing 1 at a time is fast enough.

The chance of rolling 4 or under on 2d6 is 6/36, so if your opponent is fine with it, just roll 1d6 and they pass on a 1. That covers most things, if you are htting t3, roll 1 die each, and roll a second die for each 1 and 2 (how i do mass armourbane on low av). For things that are tougher you will be getting so few hits doing 1 at a time is fast enough.

That's a really good idea actually... But I still like making them roll all those dice xD

How are people finding theirs? I am debating should I get one or not? With grav flux, phospex and drop pod, it's 370pts. Like a knight! He comes down, kills 1 squad for sure! Then next turn, draws a lot of fire power to kill pod, and then maybe him. He can then try to kill more stuff, be it tanks or infantry. I am just not sure will he earn his points back? Or is it better to have 2 contemptors in pods for those points? You can also take Typhoon for his price, who is guaranteed basically to earn his points back. Decisions, decisions...

Honestly, I think I prefer it to a knight. It's a lot cooler and arguably similar if not more Dakka. Also much fluffier, plus in the M31 we can't just ally in a solo knight :)

The fact he can take a pod basically moved him waaaay up from his already high position on the list for me.

Imagine being on the receiving end of two of these, turn one. Yes it's 6/700 pts, but between two lots of Phosphex, Grav and even some Volkite/ Flamer and two Melta guns - something I'd going to HURT.

A drop pod is basically a void shield with a bolter too! WOOHOO.

Once we know the melta weapon rules I'm tempted to take a second. I'd far rather two leviathans than one leviathan, one deredeo.

Why not all three :D

DREAD POWERS ACTIVATE.

Honestly at this point I'm surprised there's not some sort of power rangeresque mini titan we can make by combining 5 dreads...

I can see running a Grav/Phosphex Leviathan and a pair of Contemptors as a podded assault wave. Should nuke a vehicle and a squad of your choice, create a lot of no-go area between the pods and templates, and provide cover for the rest of your army.

I like the heavy flamer options even though the volkites are cool for over watch. It'll make anyone think twice assaulting you!

Heavy flamers are better at overwatch than volkite. Anything scared of 4 volkite shots will certainly be scared of two heavy flamers.

Once we know the melta weapon rules I'm tempted to take a second. I'd far rather two leviathans than one leviathan, one deredeo.

Ha? What melta weapons rules? He has meltagun in claw, is there something I am missing?

Look at the Forgeworld bulletin (theres a thread in the news and rumors section)

I trust no one and am suspicious of most.

I suppose it does kind of look like that Tau supremacy suit's mega fusion gun that looks like half a dozen strapped together.  if it's potent enough, I would definitely add a dedicated melta/drill variant, which would resolve the dilemma I'm having of whether to arm the grav bombard guy with a claw or a drill.

Andy Hoare said weeks ago on his FB page there was going to be a new melta arm for the Leviathan that he couldn't show yet, and hinted that other weapons might be at the future if the Leviathan was successful enough. Preeettty sure this is that melta arm. Learn to trust man, let us in :wub.:

I was honestly kind of hoping it was literally going to be a Magna-Melta for the S8 5" blast :P It kinda looks like 6 meltaguns strapped together... it'd be nice if it has at least 18" range or shoots 6 meltagun shots or something. 

Ehh Even if its Melta, Knights can't take Armored Ceramite. Give it a Drill + Melta Arm, put the Knight between a rock and a hard place by making it face its Shield Away from the Levi when it pods down (if you can), stay inside, Melta Blast it once + Melta Gun if possible. T2 Hop out. Melta It again, charge and smack the thing at I5 before it even gets to strike back.

6 Hullpoints might've just vaporised at that point. And unlike the knight, you still have a 4++ in CC (unless its a Lancer)

Edited by Slipstreams