Leviathan Siege Dread tactics

depthcharge12

Volkites can be seen as a 30" Heavy 8 S6 weapon. If you can't find a use for that, something's wrong with you. S6 hits harder, and with AP4, against an MEQ list, those saves are still going to be made - except that the Calivers not only force a higher ratio of hits (unless your opponent miraculously lets his guys clump up before hand, the 32mm bases now provided are a slight PITA for this. But a S5 Autohit template is going to have to put some effort into getting all of those models under the template, and then has a harder chance of wounding.

I think that without a doubt, the Calivers are better, but whether they're worth the 10pts is questionable. They're a neat upgrade if you have the points, but can forego them should you need to strip points back. Of course, the Choomclub are going to ask for my membership card back now, but...

It's only Heavy 4 since they are calivers, and the AP4 of the Heavy Flamer matters quite a lot specifically against the targets I mentioned (Solar Auxilia and high-tech Militia), particularly since it also ignores cover. Against Marines, it really doesn't matter either way, except one option is cheaper. You do get the lulz potential of deflagrate if your dice are hot and the opponent's aren't, and the 30" range gives a foot-slogging Levi something to do.

If it was Heavy 8, it would be a no-brainer alongside a pair of Storm Cannons.

Edited by Terminus

No idea what I was thinking when I wrote heavy 8. I wasn't even thinking of Culverins as I clearly wrote Calivers later. Ah well. 

The 30" range isn't wasted even on a Podded Dread, though. If you take Flamers, then you're going to need a Pod to bring them. Killing SA and Militia is easy - It's 30k. You tie them up in CC. Congratulations. You can use the Pile in move to drag enemies off of an objective too, and they can't hurt it, so they must fall back. Still, if you're having trouble getting wounds down on the table (such as in an Alpha Legion Drop Pod Assault List), then I suppose that a Levi is a good option there.

That's it's cheaper doesn't hurt. Against Marines, you have higher strength, longer range shooting coming down in a pod. Can help crack a Predator, Rhino or even a Vindicator's rear armour (especially with +1 to damage as an AL Dreadnought in Dynat lists). 

Uh, tying up SA and Militia is a horrible idea if your plan is to tie up 100-point unit with a 300+ Leviathan, and playing right into your opponent's hands. That's why I rather just roast them, and make assault a losing proposition as the heavy flamers eat 2D3 of them as they try to tie YOU down.

The thing is, aside from fearless cultist levy blobs which you actually do want to flame, the mortal armies dont really have much access to Fearless Bubbles.

Meaning if they assault the leviathan or you assault into them, them lacking the gear to harm Av13 means that their inly recourse is to use "our weapons are useless" and fall back or to have a few die, run away and get swept.

I honestly dont think anyone here would be foolish enough to run a Leviathan into a fearless tarpit.

Posted · Hidden by Flint13, December 28, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Flint13, December 28, 2015 - No reason given

The thing is, aside from fearless cultist levy blobs which you actually do want to flame, the mortal armies dont really have much access to Fearless Bubbles.

Meaning if they assault the leviathan or you assault into them, them lacking the gear to harm Av13 means that their inly recourse is to use "our weapons are useless" and fall back or to have a few die, run away and get swept.

I honestly dont think anyone here would be foolish enough to run a Leviathan into a fearless tarpit.

"TEH FEWLS! TEH COWARDS!!! THEY HIDE IN METAL BAWKSES! SIIIIIINNNNDRRIIII!"

You would think, but these things happen in Drunkhammer. :P

Posted · Hidden by Flint13, December 28, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Flint13, December 28, 2015 - No reason given

You would think, but these things happen in Drunkhammer. :P

If you love Drunkhammer, you should play Irishhammer ;) it's like Drunkhammer, without the Hammer...

Pretty much always pod it unless your running a Talon, imo.

Even without D spam, its not a super-heavy and is thus susceptible to failing the occasional 4++ vs an Explodes Result. 

Uh, tying up SA and Militia is a horrible idea if your plan is to tie up 100-point unit with a 300+ Leviathan, and playing right into your opponent's hands. That's why I rather just roast them, and make assault a losing proposition as the heavy flamers eat 2D3 of them as they try to tie YOU down.

Why? Pull them off the objective with the Pile in and put in a unit who can score, swing of +2 vps. Obviously don't go after one that you can't.

I was wondering if anyone has tried out the new(ish) Leviathan Dreadnought, or just had any opinions on it. Looking at it I find I could easily justify including one in game, but I have a soft spot for Dreadnoughts.

The rules are provided for free on the Forgeworld website on the model's page, but here's the link to where they provide it (sorry if this breaks any rules): http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets/LeviathanSiegeDreadnoughtRules.pdf

What's DDP? I've played my leviathan in a couple of games and I won't look back. I run claw, drill, phosphex and choom. Its incredibly sturdy due to the 4++ and the 4 hull points. Amazing that they can be taken in talons!

The fact that they're very popular (warning on fw website for delivery) would suggest people are v happy with them. To me they play as dreads "should do". I'd run a full talon of them if I had the points!