Insurrection Pattern Power Armor

MikhalLeNoir

Idea

MkVII Tumultus Pattern

The MkVII Tumultus Pattern was a pattern of power armour whose template was disseminated throughout the loyal legions by around the end of the first decade of the insurrection. A response to the stretched supply lines and high attrition that was eating away at many legion's armouries, the MkVII built on the work already done by legion techmarines on stop gap measure armours, which were classified under the umbrella term of mkV. While forge worlds continued to produce suits of MkIII, MkIV and MkVI in as large a quantities as they were able, the amount produced was not enough to keep up with the demands of the frontline, particularly not when many units were operating many months warp travel away from the nearest forge world. The MkVII was a response to the need of the legions for a suit which they could quickly and easily produce on the spot.

Designed to be fabricated using either spare parts or melted down ceramite from suits that had suffered extensive damage. The armour was fabricated from multiple relatively thin layers of ceramite, with the number of layers in a given area depending upon the danger to that area, with the backs of the legs being relatively lightly armoured while the upper breastplate and helmet were extremely heavily armoured. This system was introduced in order to conserve materials while maximizing protection in those areas that needed it and relied heavily on the bonding studs pioneered in the MkV.

So it's like a MK III.2?

I think that we could let the three factions (Imperium, Traitors, Successionists) develop their own variants of power armor?

Would say:

- Imperium struggles to equip all new legionnaires. Therefore, they would use the existing patterns and maybe Sig's Tumultus pattern

- Same with the Traitors, though they would be more dependent on scavenging

- Successionists could work on an entire new pattern. Let's say the Tumultus pattern for loyalists and the Lux (enlightened) pattern for them? Could either be a version for mass production or for their elites.

Edited by Kelborn

The Insurrectionists have the forges of Akira and Cognis' domains in the Ghoul Stars. I'd say they're more likely to come up with new marks than the Secessionists.

It occurs to me that Alpharius could render a new mark of helmet in plastic, if anyone designs one.

Edited by bluntblade

Mkay

Was just a thought 'cause of the science thing they both are working on. Had something like the Ultima pattern (Dornian Heresy) in mind.

@Kelborn: I was thinking more like improved mkV. It's still designed to be produced quickly, using the minimum number of materials while providing maximum protection. I'll see if I can sketch what I have in mind over lunch. 

@bluntblade: If anything I'd say the traitors are the least likely to need to scavenge and innovate than any of the other factions given they also have the allegiance of a lot of the Mechanicum. By contrast the Seccessionists will need to squeeze every ounce of value out of every piece of gear they have

Been thinking some more about the Secessionists and how they will supply themselves with power armour. Other than scavenging, on a more long term basis I imagine they might be forced to fall back on producing the older mks like MkII as they likely require less technological expertise to manufacture than the more recent Mks. What you might then get is an interesting situation whereby the few suits of MkIV that the forge worlds they possess crank out will be reserved for veterans and officers and the armour worn by the lower ranks is MkII which, while worse in almost every respect than MkIV, is easier to manufacture and so the only suit they can produce in large enough numbers. 

This then opens up the, in my opinion, interesting route of the Suzerainty differing from the Imperium in terms of armour marks but rather than being higher tech the Suzerainty's armour is designed with ease of production foremost in mind. 

Closest to Golgotha are the Halycon Wardens and Lightning Bearers.

If no one else wants it I can make Mantilla one of the triarchy

Edit: Also, just thinking of the aesthetic of the Suzerainty and ways to distinguish it from the empire so I was reading the history of Poland by Adam Zamoyski(good book btw). What struck me was that the Polish nobility during the Commonwealth era invested all their money into portable wealth or buildings. So perhaps a baroque look to the Imperium's gothic look and with the sm suits of armour being covered in gold filigree and studded with as many gems as possible seeing as that's how the Slazchta styled their armour apparently and forgive me if I'm wrong but the overriding influence on the Warbringers seems to be the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth(I mean...blunt even included a character called Jagiello in his last story about the Warbringers)

Edited by Sigismund229

@Sigismund229: Actually if I remember correctly I think the cultural inspiration for the Warbringers was Tsarist Russia with a scientific twist, hence the IXth being so elitist, convinced of their own superiority over common humans and pushing their "genetic aristocracy" ideology.