[HH1.0] Dark Angels Tactics

Frostmourne

Yeah it really sucks. I can only imagine repeaters will be changed/ clarified in the next go at DA rules as their application right now is pretty poor (Sniper Vets are nice though...)

Hopefully either the unique terminator unit or just TDA in general will be able to upgrade a plasma blaster to one.

I expect fancy terminator unit with plasma repeaters and a grenade harness with stasis rounds, a fancy Veteran Sword brethren-esque unit (squad-wide Calibanite swords, maybe option to upgrade to the two handers, artificer), and maybe a unique vehicle variant.

Well this is the thing... I bet the DA will be light on legion rules but HEAVY on the gear to make up for it as they are so versatile. Really the wings will be what makes it.

Personally I think we will see DA as potentially the first legion (heh) able to ally with itself as long as the allied detachment is running a different wing.

In reality we hardly know anything about the Fire and Storm Wings either (only hint we have is that the storm wing had some assault marines with breacher shields?) so who knows what there is to come.

I do agree on MotB though - especially as it is a very Calibanite influenced rule, maybe we'll see a different one for Terran DA...?

• 2 weeks later...

So that new command tank upgrade is pretty god damned deadly for Ironwing...

All the buffs combined you get BS5 and Tank/ Monster Hunter when within 24" and Ignoring Crew Shaken on a 4+.

Combine that with a squad of Laser Vindicators and ohhh my.

Within 24" you get 9 BS5 Twin-Linked S9 AP1 Re-rolling two dice and picking the highest for Pen rolls............

:drool: OR YOU COULD USE IT WITH A MALCADOR SQUAD!!!! :drool:

Edited by Charlo

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't played any HH games yet but just pondering on loadout for a 2nd vet tac squad. The first has sarge with power fist and two heavy bolters with acid shells, but I fancied doing a second that was a bit more cc oriented and wasn't sure what to do for the best when taking mastery of the blade/DA wargear into account.

Currently they'll just be in a PotL list, but ultimately i'll be working towards using them in ironwing/orbital assault lists too. Any thoughts?

Edited by Hexagon Sun

DA vets are pretty damn cool and versatile because of the combat buffs, but they are in a weird place with their gear.

So with mastery of the blade you hit people on equal WS on a 3+ with swords only. So Power swords and chainswords (and calibanite blade on the sarge if you'd wish).

Now stasis shells (on grenades or missiles) mean you can make enemies at -1WS/I, meaning you strike before them but also hit on a 3+ against most units anyway... Meaning blade mastery is a little wasted.

UNLESS the enemy has WS5 - meaning you drop them to 4, hit first and hit better normally. The problem with this however is that most WS5 units have a 2+ save... So your bonus for hitting with a power sword is nice, but you may as well have bought a chainsword!

Now, even crazier into the mix is that you could give your vets +1WS, making the whole thing a little murkier.

In reality, I think that the DA combat vets are bully units - with power swords and some acid bolters and a warblade on the sarge they excel at murdering other power armour units (like enemy vets, tacs, support squads) - but they will struggle against Terminators or real dedicated combat units like Templar Brethren or anything else with a 2+ save.

One of the rumours however is that DA will get a special veteran unit, maybe with new gear so who knows!

• 1 month later...

Anyone had any experience with despoilers? Are they worth it or is our sword fu not enough to justify them?

They're not bad - they have a cool niche with stasis grenades.

You can go after enemy elite units (WS5) and debuff them to WS4 and I3... So you hit them easier and first.

Could be cool.

Anyone had any experience with despoilers? Are they worth it or is our sword fu not enough to justify them?

They're not bad - they have a cool niche with stasis grenades.

You can go after enemy elite units (WS5) and debuff them to WS4 and I3... So you hit them easier and first.

Could be cool.

Or simultaneously if you face a certain nemesis at night time :p which is still significantly better than getting a drubbing before you can strike

Hm. Hard choice especially when veterans got cheaper and can take stasis launcher... However I got tired of Pride/chosen duty lists (although I dare say that DA veteran's with all their goodies are the best when compared to other legions) and it's time to slowly gather up strenght (minis) in normal troop choices. I have bad experience with bolter tacticals so alternative of using them more offensively as despoilers might be a solution.

With the new heresy box in mind I'm trying to figure out what to do with my Dark Angels, atm I have two units of 20 marines, I'm thinking of adding another 20 man squad and using the last 10 models from the new prospero box on a unit of veterans with two meltaguns, do you think walking across the table will work with Dark Angels? I also plan to have the 5 tartaros terminators with that legion praetor tribune model which I'm thinking of sticking in a land raider perhaps.

I guess personally, I'm not a fan of walking across the board with any Legion. And while I can't imagine not buying the Prospero box, I'm not quite sure yet what I'll do with all that infantry (allied Imperial Fists, maybe?). I would consider making them up as a tactical support or heavy support squad.

So I guess that's my advice: get some melta/plasma/heavy bolters/volkite and make support squads. You could also try a veteran squad or two if you want to experiment with PotL. I haven't tried PotL, but there's plenty of people that seem to do quite well with it. DA have a relatively strong Veteran Tactical Squad imo because our Heavy Bolters are so strong.

Definitely going to kit out vet squads with an acid bolter and stasis missiles, although I'm tempted to do two stasis missiles because I usually have bad luck with blasts. Give them all weapon masters and power weapons, throw them into a Phobos and let them fly. Will be expensive but I believe our vets are potentially much stronger than other legions.

On a side note, what do you guys think about doing MkIII for DA fluff wise? I already have a ton of MkIII from my IH but the new plastic MkIII looks too good to pass up unless I wait for plastic MkII.

DA will have had all armour mk's just like everyone else.

Maybe on the lower end of IV as Horus counted them as enemies, so wouldn't have supplied them with as much.

They also have a lot of Terran/ Calibanite forges as opposed to Martian, so the older Mks (2/3) are more prominent etc.

============

As for tactics - Blobs are a bit much in my opinion, but different strats in different meta.