I Shall Wear Midnight: Loddfafnir113's VIIIth Legion

Loddfafnir113

Could do with some advice from everyone. As happy as I am with the terminator sergeant I feel he's a bit plain, though I'm having trouble deciding what (if anything) to add to him and the rest of the squad. Obviously the vet tac squad have got the lightning and skull helm which are suitably eighth legiony, and the legion badge which helps. The picture I based the sergeant off has the legion badge on the left knee, but I don't trust my painting skills enough for that, and I don't feel any of the armour plates are really big enough to do lightning on. If anyone could throw out some suggestions I'd very much appreciate it.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers for the responses chaps, im going to get the rest of my B@C set finished and then I'll revisit markings in the future, will probably end up with the transfer sheet a bit later down the line.

So, got a bit more time for painting and managed to get another two cataphractii finished:

med_gallery_81830_11671_895162.jpg

After looking through the topic on weathering 30k stuff (which if you've not seen it is a fantastic resource and can be found here ) I fancied giving it a go, so for a small test I picked up some Typhus Corrosion which I used on the feet and ankles, then gave it a very light drybrushing of Terminatus Stone to tie it in with the base. I think it's come out pretty well, though a bit more experimentation and practice is going to help.

As always, C&C is more than welcome.

Lord, it's beautiful. Ugh...Envy. I think the light weathering looks really good on them, too much can really take away from good painting. If I might ask, how did you do the pale skin on the guy with no helm? 

Lord, it's beautiful. Ugh...Envy. I think the light weathering looks really good on them, too much can really take away from good painting. If I might ask, how did you do the pale skin on the guy with no helm?

Cheers mate! I've got a fairly simple recipe for pale skin, start with Rakarth Flesh, then a thinned down Nuln Oil wash, drybrush of Eldar Flesh and then a very fine going over with White Scar just to catch the raised areas and forehead.

Incidentally I just discovered Lahmian Medium so been using that to thin down everything. Not a clue how I got by without it for so long, stuff is an absolute godsend for thinning washes!

• 5 months later...

med_gallery_81830_11671_588515.jpg

med_gallery_81830_11671_56784.jpg

Well it's been far too long, but finally managed to get some hobby in! That's the praetor done, just a little lightning to finish on a couple of the other terminators and that'll be the Night Lords from B@C done. Just in time for the next heresy box to hit!

Hey, no fair, I was going to paint the studded portions of my Alphas' MkIV black too! Clearly you traveled to the future and stole my idea. I swear to you this day, my vengeance will make the staunchest Night Lord squeamish!

:D JK, glad to see it looks even more awesome than I imagined, thank you for the inspiromotivation.

Archived