=][= PLOG 90 Days to Prepare for Astronomi-con 2016

I realised that I have never posted pics of my =][= Chimera, so here it is for another example of the paint scheme and another vehicle that will be part of this army. Good thing I pulled it out to take pics, too, because I noticed that the battle damage is nonexistent and the weathering lacklustre as when I painted it last year I was rushing to get it ready for a tournament. After the Scions I vowed for the AM event are done, I shall remedy that.

med_gallery_66537_9465_34341.jpg

med_gallery_66537_9465_219586.jpg

The reason it has so many antennae is, because, although only painted last year, I built it before Codex: Inquisition was released for the purpose of transporting an Astra Militarum Company Command Squad dressed-up to look like an inquisitor and some henchmen. That was also before the new AM codex and in those days, I used Iron Hand Straken's rules to represent a power-armour, daemon-hammer wielding incarnation of Lord Inquisitor Soulis.

Love the Taurox! Did you shelve your BA successor for the tourney?

Yeah, unfortunately ...

I was expecting the tournament to be in July as usual, but when they announced in late January that it was going to be 30 April I had to quickly assess whether I'd be able to get my BA finished in time.

I decided that getting two (already assembled) Taurox Primes and about 15 Scions painted before that time was a lot more doable than purchasing, assembling, and painting two Razorbacks, a Storm Raven, a chaplain, a DC Dreadnaught, plus painting 14 assault marines and 3 Death Company.

• 2 weeks later...

Per WarriorFish's suggestion, here's a model count down, subject to some minor changes as I tinker with the composition of the Inquisitorial Warbands. Fully completed models in green, in-progress in yellow, yet to be purchased/assembled in red.

Lord Inquisitor Soulis, servo skulls x3
Soulis' Warband - Crusader x2, Crusader, DCA x2, Arco Flagellant, Arco Flagellant, Acolyte w BP/CCW, Ministorum Priest, Land Raider
Inquisitorial warband - Acolyte w/ melta x2, Acolyte w/ bolter x2, Acolyte BP/CCW x2, Psyker, Chimera
Inquisitorial warband - Crusader, Acolyte w/ plasma x3, Acolyte w/ bolter x2, Psyker, Valkyrie

Militarum Tempestus Command Squad w/ meltagun (x3)
Scions x8 w/ Flamer (x2) Taurox Prime w/ gatling cannon

Scions x7 w/ plasmaguns x2, Scion x1, Taurox Prime w/ missile launcher
Scions x5 w/ meltaguns (x2)
Scions x5 w/ grenade launchers (x2)

Totals:

Complete: 40 + 4 vehicles

In Progress: 11 + 1 vehicle

Not Yet Assembled/Purchased: 7

And for those who didn't follow my previous PLOGs where most of the completed items were done, here are a few pics:

Soulis and his warband:

med_gallery_66537_9465_302398.jpg

Meltagunners and psyker from the Chimera warband:

med_gallery_66537_9465_633160.jpg

The Valkyrie warband:

med_gallery_66537_9465_1458.jpg

... and their ride:

med_gallery_66537_9465_107855.jpg

Inquisitorial Storm Trooper Command Squad:

med_gallery_66537_9465_129994.jpg

Meltagun five-man Inquisitorial Storm Trooper Squad:

med_gallery_66537_9465_215858.jpg

Plasmagun 7-man Inquisitorial Storm Trooper Squad:

med_gallery_66537_9465_379855.jpg

These look wicked cool ND.  Really like the black and gold - I may just shamelessly steal that for my own =][= Storm Troopers... I have ~60 of the old metals (pre-Karskin) that are in desperate need of some attention...

How do you find the new plastic ones measure up (size/proportion-wise) to the older metals?  I need more Sgt figures for mine to fill out the squads (as they can no longer simply take a hellgun like the rest of their mates), so I might have to see whether the plastics are an option...

Thanks, KiwiBen! Glad you like them. Please do use the scheme, I think it looks great too. Just a minor variation on the Inquisitorial Storm Trooper scheme featured in Codex: Witch Hunters.

I haven't actually taken the time to compare the plastic Scions to the old "astronaut" storm troopers but will try to do so soon since I have a few in my collection (acting as acolytes), but I don't think they're far off since the "astronauts" fit in fine with Cadian plastics. The Kasrkin are quite close in size as well. Anyway, here's an update for this week:

Lord Inquisitor Soulis, servo skulls x3
Soulis' Warband - Crusader x2, Crusader, DCA x2, Arco Flagellant, Arco Flagellant, Acolyte w BP/CCW, Ministorum Priest, Land Raider
Inquisitorial warband - Acolyte w/ melta x2, Acolyte w/ bolter x2, Acolyte BP/CCW x2, Psyker, Chimera
Inquisitorial warband - Crusader, Acolyte w/ plasma x3, Acolyte w/ bolter x2, Psyker, Valkyrie

Militarum Tempestus Command Squad w/ meltagun (x3)
Scions x8 w/ Flamer (x2) Taurox Prime w/ gatling cannon

Scions x7 w/ plasmaguns x2, Scion x1, Taurox Prime w/ missile launcher
Scions x5 w/ meltaguns (x2)
Scions x5 w/ grenade launchers (x2)

Totals:

Complete: 48 + 4 vehicles

In Progress: 3 + 1 vehicle

Not Yet Assembled/Purchased: 7

This week's completion. The lighting is a bit weird and doesn't do them full justice; I will try to take a better picture when I get back from a trip out of town I'm leaving for this weekend:

med_gallery_66537_9465_347081.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Got some really bad news regarding the tournament today ...

Looks like I pooped the bed pretty bad. I didn't register right away because I was tight on cash, just had a bunch of big expenses, and I thought that if I registered a month ahead of time I'd be good. Well, I went to the Astronomi-con website today to register and it's not only sold out but I am 4th on the waiting list now. sad.png

I knew it sold out the last couple years, but this didn't happen until much closer to the event. Man, I am so bummed ... sad.pngsad.png

On the other hand a new airline just started up with $100 flights from my neck of the woods to Winnipeg so maybe I can do Astronomi-con Winnipeg which was almost cancelled last year due to lack of registrants.

It seems that Astro Toronto is simply not meant to be ... sad.png

Real-world family obligation has cropped-up for May 1st, which would preclude my attendance for the second day of the tournament. So I guess it will have to be Astronomi-con Winnipeg and I would really like to bring my BA-successor Angels Sorrowful to that so I am going to switch gears.

I misunderstood the airfares, apparently NewLeaf is going to be doing $89 one-way from Hamilton to Winnipeg. That's still crazy cheap considering that includes all taxes. So I could do round-trip for $180 airfare and stay with my parents for free room and board. Since Astro Winnipeg is cheaper than Toronto, I can probably do the whole trip for $250 which is not too shabby at all. And Winnipeg was in danger of being cancelled last year, so I am happy to support the original and hopefully keep it alive.

Sometimes things happen for a reason, no bad thing to support Winnipeg and it's better than no tourney smile.png

Yes, things do happen for a reason. And the Winnipeg tournament could really use the support, so I am happy to be able to give that for my 1 tournament per year fix.

Archived