Help me with my DIY

GrandMagnus

As Cthulhu resembles a Kraken (giant squid) instead of a Leviathan (whale), we can say the Marines view themselves as the Emperor's wolfhounds, i.e., monsters His Immortal Majesty bred and raised to hunt down and destroy other monsters. It makes sense a Chapter created to counter a squid-like entity's evil, would adopt the name of a beast that hunts and eats squids- specifically, the sperm whale. (Wikipedia also refers to the sperm whale as "cachalot," a term apparently derived from the French word for "big tooth." The name can easily be reused for the Chapter's relic weapons- maybe a C'tan weapon, as its creator also hates the Warp and its denizens?)

It's a nice idea, but in the 41st millenium just how many people even remember the sperm whale?

They have aurochs on Fenris- Russ and the Emperor feasted on them during their first challenge- so a sperm whale-like animal can easily exist in the Imperium. (The aurochs became extinct in 627M2, but I presume humanity had the genetic engineering technology to recreate the aurochs and other extinct animals, during the Dark Age of Technology.)

They may not refer to the sperm whales as "sperm whales," though. "Leviathan" is certainly an acceptable alternate name- one used for an extinct relative as of 16M3- as are Charybdis and the previously suggested cachalot.

Alright, some good ideas. I didn't actually know there where sperm whales on Fenris.

Minigiant, thanks for your input, but:

1. I will stick to regular astartes helmets, simply because they can function the same way or even better than any sort of scuba gear and for the 40k easthetic, I think one of the most distinctive parts of space marine power armour are the helmets.

2. I've already established the chapter uses power spears, but the addition of side prongs to some of them, like a trident, would not be too bad.

3. The chapters is from a oceanic world, true, but they don't live ON the world. So graviton rhinos/tanks would not really be necesary, also because the chapter is specialized in void combat so they would already have boarding pods to breach enemy ships and deliver the infantry. Thanks for the idea thought.

2. I've already established the chapter uses power spears, but the addition of side prongs to some of them, like a trident, would not be too bad.

Suggestion for the Chapter symbol: A trident. I'm fairly sure Lamenter had his own Chapter a few years ago which had a trident as their icon. It was a good symbol.

Ah, here we go: The Emperor's Spears (artscale comparison picture from way back when).

Suggestion for the Chapter symbol: A trident. I'm fairly sure Lamenter had his own Chapter a few years ago which had a trident as their icon. It was a good symbol.

Ah, here we go: The Emperor's Spears (artscale comparison picture from way back when).

Yes, of course, yes. That is a simple, effective and easy to freehand chapter symbol, I can't believe I had not thought of that before. I could use the exact same chapter symbol in white on a black background. It wouldn't be the first time two chapters share the same symbol.

Or even better, use this trident instead:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/PSibbering/Symbols/Tridents_Symbol.jpg

New update, this time its chapter recruitment and the path of the initiate:

CHAPTER RECRUITMENT.

Each year, when their homeworlds twin moons eclips eachother the strongest of the Nuhmai youths will travel to the worlds biggest island, a lone mountain located at the planets equator. Here they will travel for days through dense swamps infested with amphibious predators and then the rocky cliffs and mountains inhabited by giant predatory birds. Those who survive will arrive to an ancient stone temple at the heart of the islands mountain.

Here they will be greeted by a giant in armour as black as night bedecked in symbols of death and doom, his visage covered by a mask shaped after the dread void stalkers of the deep oceans. His voice like thounder will echo through the cliffs as he invites them unboard his star vessel. They younglings, full of a strange sensation of ambition and dread will board the black vessel, taking their first steps towards the ranks of the fabled sky people.

Inside the ship they will be greeted by more giants, clad in sea green armour, with eyes that burn like fire. Soon they will learn that these awe-inspiring are in fact the Adeptus Astartes of the Leavithans chapter, loyal sons of the Emperor, His huntsmen of the stars.

First they will be tested by the giant in black, who will see if their mind and bodies are sound, yet imperfect. Those deemed acceptable will be carried away and those who are not will begin their training as chapter serfs and ship crew, so they may still serve the Emperor alongside their chosen brethren. Those chosen begin the year long process of psycho indoctrination and physical training to turn their meagre bodies into the perfect killing machines.

After the first years they will be given their first combat experience as young bloods, equipped with the chapters scout armours and equiped with blades and bolt pistols, they will engage the foe alongside their older brethren learning by example and experience.

Those with psychic abilities will soon be adopted by the chapters librarium where they can hone their abilites, learnign to summons spectral incarnations of their homeworlds most dreaded creatures or bring forth a tidal wave of spychic energy. Those who show great faith and a grim determination may be favoured by a chaplain and taken under his wing to learn the ways of the void stalker, how to inspire his battle brothers. Some may show a talent with machines, perhabs having spent their youth among the engines of the the Nuhmai ships and so are sent to an allied forge world to learn the ways of the Adeptus Mechanicus. And finally, some may be chosen by the apothecarion to learn how to aid their wounded brethren, treating their wounds or even giving them the Emperor's mercy and extracting their gene-seed so the chapter may survive.

Finally, when deemed ready they are awarded with the last implant, the black carapace. Depending on their skill they will be assigned to a specific unit type, whether that be as assault, support or line infantry. They are awarded with their suit of power armour, an ancient relic from a fallen brother. And so a once humble and frail youth has become the epitome of humanity, the perfect warrior and servant of the Emperor.

As you can see I have made a distinction between chaplains and apothecaries. I want to use the space wolves chapter tactics and I know their wolf priests serve both roles, but I didn't want that for mine. So I made the distinction and I will see how to work that into the minis in the future.

Good job, thus far. As for power polearms, I wrote rules for one example in my Steel Crusaders Codex supplement:

LONGINUS (FORCE LANCE)

This lance is named after Insat Longinus- Epistolary to the Iron Hands, and later, Chief Librarian to the Sons of Medusa- who gave his life to banish a Daemon Prince known as "The Unholy One" in M36.  Former wielders claim the weapon is sentient, seeking to avenge its namesake.

On a turn in which [my Special Character] charges, the weapon has the following profile:
>
Range -, S +1, AP 2.  Melee, Force, Hatred (Chaos Daemons, Chaos Space Marines), Rending.

At all other times, the weapon has the following profile:
>
Range -, S User, AP 3.  Melee, Force, Hatred (Chaos Daemons, Chaos Space Marines), Rending.

Hope this helps. The Eldar use a "singing spear" that has the Armourbane and Fleshbane special rules, as well as the option of being used as a Ranged Weapon; if you have 'Codex: Eldar', feel free to copy the rules for it, either claiming your Chapter's power trident is a trophy taken in battle, or the product of an ingenious Techmarine who decided to "fight fire with fire" and reverse-engineer Eldar weapons.

I don't know how acceptable a homemade supplement is- I have little gaming experience- and my own homemade supplements are meant as creative writing exercises. Considering Games Workshop itself makes "homemade supplements" (see "Forge World Space Marine Chapter Tactics" here), I don't think you'll have too much trouble, as long as you discuss it with your gaming partners and opponents beforehand.

I once wrote a custom supplement but every unit in there was identical to its parent codex. With custom background and new unit names. Nothing that count as couldnt get around

Sounds great. I was mostly thinking about keeping the space wolf codex, renaming units and some of the equipment (like belt of russ would be iron halo, etc. Like you said). And then just changing the special rules, adding some unique equipment, eliminating units like thunderwolves and the special characters and adding my own. I mean, in the end they would basically be a watered down and reflavoured space wolf codex.

As soon as you play around with rules or points it comes down to who you play. And of course you cannot use them in events like that

Well events aren't really a problem. I'm not much for the gaming aspect, but I want the rules in case I run into someone who wants to play and doesn't mind the changes.

As soon as you play around with rules or points it comes down to who you play. And of course you cannot use them in events like that

Well events aren't really a problem. I'm not much for the gaming aspect, but I want the rules in case I run into someone who wants to play and doesn't mind the changes.

May I suggest you build to both just in case. As you say you arent so much into the gaming aspect, you must be into the modelling aspect? It is a great experience to take a beautiful army to an event and for it to be admired by everyone. Winning a 'best army' is good too.

On a side note, this thread along with my suggestions have got me thinking of an Atlantis/Poseidon aqua marine chapter over my Sherlock Holmes chapter

On a side note, this thread along with my suggestions have got me thinking of an Atlantis/Poseidon aqua marine chapter over my Sherlock Holmes chapter

Errrr... http://www.philipsibbering.com/wh40k/10-05-05-chapter-aquamarines.shtml

Whilst PhillipS' Chapter is a cool one, there is nothing stopping anyone else from having their own Chapter with the same name smile.png After all in some of the older fluff, some Chapter names/Chapter numbers have been used more than once by the High Lords of Terra...

Errrr... http://www.philipsibbering.com/wh40k/10-05-05-chapter-aquamarines.shtml
Whilst PhillipS' Chapter is a cool one, there is nothing stopping anyone else from having their own Chapter with the same name smile.png After all in some of the older fluff, some Chapter names/Chapter numbers have been used more than once by the High Lords of Terra...
Ah very true. As you were everybody!

A gamer named Kenton Kilgore helped his daughter build vehicles for her "Aquamarines," as seen here. I think inspiration can be drawn from some of the designs. (Warning: Kilgore also created a female Chapter Master to lead his Chapter. Do not go to his website if the idea of "female Space Marines" offends you.)

Okay guys, I've got a bit of fluff, this time it's an important battle in the history of the chapter. I spend yesterday working on a DIY character to represent the chapter master on the table top should it be necessary and one of the items I created for his inventory was the Crown of Icarion. Tell me what you think (I know there might be some gramatical errors and the like, but I'm not perfect rolleyes.gif )

Liberation of Icarion's Fall (462. M38)

Chapter Master Lukias Mar leads the entire chapter into battle against the ork Waaagh! Gutsplitta on the world of Icarion, to aid the trapped 4th company of the Salamanders chapter and the 67th Cadian Regiment. The massive warfleet of the Leviathans breaks into real space behind the ork fleet and quickly surrounds the planet, creating a barrier. Not wasting time the fleets capital ships begin an exhaustive bombardment of the ork war ships, turning them to scrap and sending some smoking to the planets surface.

Meanwhile Lukias Mar orders a massive assault on the ork forces on the surface, hundreds of drop pods and thunderhawks land on the steppe lands of Icarion's Fall, rallying the besieged imperial forces. Together with the surviving Salamanders and the warriors of the Leviathans battle the now trapped orks all across the planet for months. At the end of the campaing, with the last of the orks slaughtered or routed only 400 Leavithans remain of the chapter having lost more than half their initial strength, but imperial victory is assured. A strong bond is forged between the two chapters as Lukias Mar and Captain Kha'lesh of the Salamanders become sworn brothers.

Months after the campaing Kha'lesh arrives on the 'Albatross', the warship of the Leaviathans chapter master, bearing a gift of brotherhood. He gives Lukias Mar a masterfully crafted golden crested helmet, decorated with a giant ruby. It becomes known as 'Crown of Icarion' and is still carried to this day by all chapter masters of the Leaviathans as a simple of brotherhood and honour, commemorating the sacrifices of the fallen.

Does the Crown of Icarion grant its wearer any Special Rules? Maybe the "ruby" is actually the lens of a powerful laser weapon, which may be used once in-game?

You mean a digi-weapon?

Archived