Help me with my DIY

GrandMagnus

Does the Crown of Icarion grant its wearer any Special Rules? Maybe the "ruby" is actually the lens of a powerful laser weapon, which may be used once in-game?

This is the crowns profile, but it might be subject to change:

Crown of Icarion.

This helmet causes Fear and grants Preferred Enemy (orks) to all marines within 20" of the Chapter Master.

So my thoughts were since the helmet was a gift after defeating the orks all Leaviathans within range of the chapter master feel inspired and fight harder against all orks. And the fear is because the crowns shape like a sort of sea serpent/predatory fish, still working out the details. I don't know if this is balanced, underpowered or overpowered?

Does the Crown of Icarion grant its wearer any Special Rules? Maybe the "ruby" is actually the lens of a powerful laser weapon, which may be used once in-game?

You mean a digi-weapon?

In-game, digital weapons just let a character re-roll a To Wound roll each round. I mean a Range 6", S 3, AP 3, Assault 1 Attack once per game, like Commissar Yarrick's "Bale Eye."

Crown of Icarion.

This helmet causes Fear and grants Preferred Enemy (orks) to all marines within 20" of the Chapter Master.

So my thoughts were since the helmet was a gift after defeating the orks all Leaviathans within range of the chapter master feel inspired and fight harder against all orks. And the fear is because the crowns shape like a sort of sea serpent/predatory fish, still working out the details. I don't know if this is balanced, underpowered or overpowered?

Seems reasonable, but I recommend changing the radius of effect to either 12" or 24"- make it a divisible by the number of inches in one foot, so measuring range would be easier.

Crown of Icarion.

Seems reasonable, but I recommend changing the radius of effect to either 12" or 24"- make it a divisible by the number of inches in one foot, so measuring range would be easier.

Okely-dokely, I've changed it to 24". Thanks for the input. I've mostly build the character to be a lead-from-the-front character, to be used alongside 1 or 2 squads of assault marines or vanguard veterans. I still need to flesh out a few things and then I'll post what I have.

Grants Fear AND preferred enemy to the marines ? or Grants Fear to the bearer... and preferred enemy to the marines ? I'd say that the Fear should only be applied to the chapter master, so you'll want to write two sentences to avoid ambiguosity.

Otherwise, cool idea :)

If you want to make it even cooler, it could be a tie-in to Athrawes Lightning Bearers legion (their Primarch is called Icarion)

Grants Fear AND preferred enemy to the marines ? or Grants Fear to the bearer... and preferred enemy to the marines ? I'd say that the Fear should only be applied to the chapter master, so you'll want to write two sentences to avoid ambiguosity.

Otherwise, cool idea smile.png

If you want to make it even cooler, it could be a tie-in to Athrawes Lightning Bearers legion (their Primarch is called Icarion)

I meant fear for the chapter master only. I guess you are right, I should rewrite that.

Naming the world Icarion is in fact a tiny hint towards Athrawes legion. The chapter itself has nothing to do with it, but I thought it was a fun "easter egg". Maybe the world was once conquered by Icarion before he and his legion was errased from history. its all legends and myths ;)

May I suggest 'Halfleikr Nykko' as a name for your chapter master. Halfleikr is Norwegian and means King of Giants. Nykko is Serbian and means Seaman so Halfleikr Nykko the King of Giant Seamen

@Minigiant - What out for the Double Entendre!

May I suggest 'Halfleikr Nykko' as a name for your chapter master. Halfleikr is Norwegian and means King of Giants. Nykko is Serbian and means Seaman so Halfleikr Nykko the King of Giant Seamen

@Minigiant - What out for the Double Entendre!

Honestly, that barely qualifies as a single entendre.

Absolutely use that name. ☺

Nykko is Serbian and means Seaman so Halfleikr Nykko the King of Giant Seamen

Are you sure 'Nykko' is the word? Google translate gives 'Pomorac' as the Serbian word for seaman, while Translate.com gives 'Mornar'.

Nykko is Serbian and means Seaman so Halfleikr Nykko the King of Giant Seamen

Are you sure 'Nykko' is the word? Google translate gives 'Pomorac' as the Serbian word for seaman, while Translate.com gives 'Mornar'.

I have accidently crossed words when looking for names for my own chapter. Nykko means champion is Scandinavian. You are right Pomorac is Seaman in Serbian Halfleikr Pomorac is the name I was thinking of

Interesting thoughts, but giving him a scandinavian first name would make them look too much like space wolves, besides I was thinking about using names a mix of sumerian names and sci-fi names, similar to the names used by the luna wolves characters. But I will consider the name.

And lol, king of the giant seamen :D But I'm not fond of names that describe the persons title. I mean, he probably wasn't the son of a tribal leader on his homeworld, his family had no way of knowing if he would ever become a chapter master or even an astartes for that matter. If you look at other chapter masters their names are more logical and usually have no hidden meaning regarding their title but rather their personality.

For example Dante, which is derived from the latin name Durans which means enduring and he is the oldest living astartes (not in a dreadnought). Or Azrael, whose name is derived from the angel of death. But both of these names are probably given by the chapter to them upon recruitment. Siguimunds name is derived from two words 'Victory' and 'Protector' which both define his personality as champion. And of course Logan Grimnar whose first name means "little hollow" in gaellic and his surname in danish means "ugly fool" :P So... yeah, logan Grimnar has a terrible surname.

Anyways, what I mean with this block of text is mostly thanks for the name suggestion, but I would rather just stick to the names myself since I know what I'm looking for.

Interesting thoughts, but giving him a scandinavian first name would make them look too much like space wolves, besides I was thinking about using names a mix of sumerian names and sci-fi names, similar to the names used by the luna wolves characters. But I will consider the name.

Sumerian names, eh? I think the Word Bearers have names vaguely Sumerian. 

Archived