The Horus Heresy: Primarchs series

HaSY

1. Chris Wraight: Doing DG stuff would be awesome. His story with Mortarion has thus far been so good with his protrayal in Scars and that short one in Blades of the Traitor. If he does the Khan and Mortarion, I will be happy. 

2. Annandale: I agree not a major fan, his stuff has been neither super good or bad, just ehh. I guess WB is is thing, they always come across as sort of cartoony villains. Sort of bummed he is doing Guilliman for the new Primarch series. ADB and Abnett has done a awesome job portraying  

3. Guy Haley: He seems like one of the newer HH authors? I thought his portrayal of Sangunius in Pharos was very well done and much better than what was done in FTT. His nightlords are also well done and come across as more complex than just a bunch of sadist. I certainly look forward to more work from him, he really hit out of the park with Pharos. 

4. Gav: He is probably his least favorite author, let someone else do DAs. His RG is okay but I agree let others give it a crack. 

5. John French: I think he is awesome and I would love for him to pick up a Primarch. I think his stuff in Ironclad and Perturabo would be good. 

Yes...John French is solid

Agreed. I've high hopes for Praetorian of Dorn. And I'd like to see him tackle Horus, be it in this new series or the main HH one. That Warmaster audio short was a great soliloquy and probably my favourite look at him since Horus Rising.

Although I generally like his prose, I do think that Tallarn: Ironclad missed a trick by only mentioning the largest tank battle in Imperial history rather than using the lead-up to focus on it. I was particularly disappointed at how little was said about it. The lead up was, imo, great but I would have preferred the final parts of the story to actually include the climactic battle to a much greater degree. Ah well. :(

Although I generally like his prose, I do think that Tallarn: Ironclad missed a trick by only mentioning the largest tank battle in Imperial history rather than using the lead-up to focus on it. I was particularly disappointed at how little was said about it. The lead up was, imo, great but I would have preferred the final parts of the story to actually include the climactic battle to a much greater degree. Ah well. :(

I am not familiar with that one. I read the short story version of Templar...and I liked his prose. Much better than Kyme, Thorpe, or Swallow. Those three authours are IMO the Black Library baseline.

I also like French's style more than those of Annandale, Haley, Sanders, and Smilie. Those guys are OK but not great...again, IMO.

I think Parrino is quite good. I liked his very unique rendition of the White Scars "Shape of the Hunt". I read the script version and enjoyed it.

So below Abnett, Bowden, and Wraight...I think French is one of the most solid authours

Although I generally like his prose, I do think that Tallarn: Ironclad missed a trick by only mentioning the largest tank battle in Imperial history rather than using the lead-up to focus on it. I was particularly disappointed at how little was said about it. The lead up was, imo, great but I would have preferred the final parts of the story to actually include the climactic battle to a much greater degree. Ah well. sad.png

I am not familiar with that one. I read the short story version of Templar...and I liked his prose. Much better than Kyme, Thorpe, or Swallow. Those three authours are IMO the Black Library baseline.

I also like French's style more than those of Annandale, Haley, Sanders, and Smilie. Those guys are OK but not great...again, IMO.

I think Parrino is quite good. I liked his very unique rendition of the White Scars "Shape of the Hunt". I read the script version and enjoyed it.

So below Abnett, Bowden, and Wraight...I think French is one of the most solid authours

Tallarn Executioner and Tallarn Ironclad are very good. Definite must read for IW fans

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't read anything substantial by Annadale yet, I'll wait before judging him. Hopefully he sticks with the Heresy Guilliman trend and doesn't turn him back into our spiritual liege.

Just finished Scars, and holy hell does it make me excited for Chris' stuff in this series. Here's hoping he gets Mortarion along with Russ and Jaghatai.

I'm still not going to say Gav is all bad, I've been hearing good things about The Emperor Expects, but The Lion and Deliverance Lost are probably my least favourite Novel and Novella from what I've read so far, heck, Kyme's Feat of Iron was better than The Lion. (And no, I have not and am not going to read Kyme's Vulkan Novels or Battle for the Abyss.)

If I were to do a maximum of 2 books per author, my dream lineup (Minus Guilliman and Russ) would be:

Lion El'Jonson- ADB

Fulgrim- Nick Kyme (Just hear me out, Imperfect was really great and he wrote Fulgrim's vanity without having him acting like a drunk peacock or a 5 year old, I'd give him a chance)

Perturabo- John French

Jaghatai- Chris Wraight

Dorn- John French

Kurze- Guy Haley

Sanguinius- Guy Haley

Ferrus- Dan Abnett (Must be saved by a good author)

Angron- Matthew Farrer

Mortarion- Chris Wraight

Magnus- Graham Mcneill

Horus- Dan Abnett

Lorgar- Anthony Reynolds

Vulkan- Matthew Farrer (Must be saved by a good author)

Corax- ADB (Must be saved by a good author)

Alpharius/Omegon- Rob Sanders

If I were to do a maximum of 2 books per author, my dream lineup (Minus Guilliman and Russ) would be:

Lion El'Jonson- ADB

Fulgrim- Nick Kyme (Just hear me out, Imperfect was really great and he wrote Fulgrim's vanity without having him acting like a drunk peacock or a 5 year old, I'd give him a chance)

Perturabo- John French

Jaghatai- Chris Wraight

Dorn- John French

Kurze- Guy Haley

Sanguinius- Guy Haley

Ferrus- Dan Abnett (Must be saved by a good author)

Angron- Matthew Farrer

Mortarion- Chris Wraight

Magnus- Graham Mcneill

Horus- Dan Abnett

Lorgar- Anthony Reynolds

Vulkan- Matthew Farrer (Must be saved by a good author)

Corax- ADB (Must be saved by a good author)

Alpharius/Omegon- Rob Sanders

Nice selection, and a fun idea! I pretty much agree with you on Kyme in Imperfect too. His take on Fulgrim was decent, and his other EC short, Chirurgeon, was good too.

My own picks:

Lion El'Jonson - ??? (not sure, none of the portrayals so far have blown me away)

Fulgrim - Nick Kyme

Perturabo - Graham McNeill

Jaghatai Khan - Chris Wraight

Rogal Dorn - John French

Konrad Curze - Aaron Dembski-Bowden

Sanguinius - Guy Haley

Ferrus Manus - ??? (another where I'm not sure, since he hasn't appeared that much)

Angron - Matthew Farrer

Mortarion - Chris Wraight

Magnus - Graham McNeill? (he does well, but I would like to see someone else give it a go)

Horus - John French

Lorgar - Anthony Reynolds

Vulkan - Guy Haley? (I just want someone other than Nick Kyme to give it a go, and Guy's Salamanders shorts have been solid, though they haven't involved Vulkan himself)

Corax - Dan Abnett

Alpharius Omegon - Dan Abnett

Lorgar-Anthony Reynolds

I will FIGHT you.

Over the Internet.

With words. ;)

More seriously, Reynold's is one of the biggest offenders for me as far as the "Chaos Marines are cardboard cliches who fail at everything" stereotype. (See thousands of Astartes, Titans, warships, an irreplaceable plot McGuffin and a chance to deal a death blow to the Imperium thrown away so Kor Phaeron and Erebus can have an inconclusive slap fight).

The idea of him tackling Lorgar...

I've not read anything of his outside the Heresy series, but within that his work has been solid. Scions of the Storm gave us our first glimpse of the Word Bearers, Khârn: The Eightfold Path was a great little short following on from Betrayer, and I loved The Purge for the grim action and Sor Talgron's character and progression.

ADB would be the safer pick, but I'd enjoy seeing someone fresh try Lorgar out.

Going by authors:

1. Dan Abnett: He was my first choice for Guilliman as his protrayal in KNF and UE was fantastic. Russ and the Lion would probably benefit with Dan as well.

2. McNeill: Magnus and Perturabo. I think he is a good author and has handled these two really well.

3. French: Dorn-he has a good handle on IF and Crimson Fist and Templar is awesome. Horus-I'd definitely would not mind if he did him, the Warmaster was short but sweet.

4. Wraight: He undoubtable is the most qualified to do the Khan and Mortarion.

5. Haley: After Pharos I think he is justified to do Sanguinius. I'd be okay if he did Curze although ADB would be my first pick.

6. ADB: He must do Lorgar and Angron. There can be no other :) His work with The First Heretic and Betrayer sets the bar.

7. Gav: My least favorite, he will get Corax and the Lion just because. 

8. Kyme: I know he is hit or miss but I think he would do well with Fulgrim. As for Vulkan, has anyone really done him besides him? I am not sure what wold make Vulkan interesting, I mean he is the compassionate teddy bear, a bit boring but I think that is okay one of the primarch is not a total dick as opposed to Manus who is the poster child for being a dick.

The Word Bearers trilogy is Anthony Reynold's big thing outside of the Heresy.

I have very strong feelings about that trilogy.

It's the story of a Dark Apostle climbing up the ranks by inserting athames in his battle brothers backs as as hand holds, which is okay, but then the ending...

"So...Lord Erebus...you and Kor Phaeron ruined our big attack on the Imperium playing politics."

"Yep."

"So...we get rid of Kor Phaeron now?"

"Don't be silly. This is how we show our love for another!"

"So...all those Marines, warships, Titans and the plot Macguffin we lost...all of that was for nothing."

"Uh huh! Want to be on the Dark Council? We have comfy chairs."

"I do like comfy chairs I guess."

Admittedly, I haven't read his Word Bearers trilogy, I was just going off Scions of the Storm and Khârn: The Eightfold Path, both of which I thought were swell.

Of course ADB would be preferable, but Anthony is the only author I've read to write the Word Bearers as anything more than mustache-twirling villains. And if anything, I'd like to see ADB use his sizeable, rock-hard talents to inject new life into one of the many primarchs made lame by bad writing. 

Did any author even covered Ferrus?

Haven't read something about him. Or did I missed something?

As far as I know he was just in Fulgrim and Nick Kyme's novella Feat of Iron. Neither portrayals were particularly interesting, he definitely needs a better author to be made more interesting than dry toast.

The main ones he appeared in are Fulgrim, Promethean Sun and Feat of Iron, he had very minor appearances in Prince of Crows, The First Heretic, The Phoenician and Vulkan Lives (the real Ferrus I mean). Plus the clones in Imperfect. So basically just Nick Kyme and Graham McNeill.

Neither of their portrayals were ones I disliked (I actually think Feat of Iron is one of Nick's better works in the series). But I'd like to see something more substantial for him, certainly.

The Horus Heresy Book 2 has info on the Legion and FM as well. I'm hoping they do a good job on Ferrus, he deserves it.  Maybe some more detail on Medusa before the coming of the Emperor.

Archived