+++E Tenebrae Lux V - Space Wolves Strategium+++

Yup kilts too Dantay..... I unfortunately suffer from shakes in my hands at times which stopped me from enjoying the hobby for years, so came up with the idea that forcing myself to paint a design I would normally struggle with would help me adapt and overcome it.

I went for a simplified tartan effect rather than trying to copy out any particular tartan and the method is as follows:

- Paint the kilt blue (for me it's army painter deep blue)

- Add a green grid (ap green skin)

- Highlight where the lines intersect (ap goblin green)

- Outline the grid with black

Hope that makes sense lol but if you want I can try and get some pics up to show you the final outcome.

Was in the middle of typing to you when the rig went tits up.

Sounds like a Black Watch Tartan you are going for.

2 ideas immediately spring to mind.

Do your green grid. The right in the middle start a grid in black

Do a thick black grid and do a fine line green down the middle.

Alternatively do a green background and use micron pens like I use for roughing out designs (blue & black) for your grid work.

Just a few thoughts.

Have you got any pictures.

Also see those end bits off of cheap curtain pole or thick reels for thread. Even the old paint pots.

Tack your model to those to give a good steady grip.

Ooh errr..... hope it was nothing too serious bud.

I did almost go down the micron pen route but figured if I was ever gonna beat it I'd be best jumping straight in and doing it in paint lol.

As for old paint pots if it weren't for them I'd never be able to paint anything, its the brush trembling that gives me grief and there's not much I can do about that other than carry on and adapt - it's almost like learning to paint again at times lol.

I do have a few pics I will upload later on tonight once my rowdy pack of Bloodclaws have crashed out.

So what you guys gonna do now ETL is over? Whats next for my brothers in the Aett? Im taking a step away from Chaos for a bit to concentrate on an all Wolf Guard army, dont expect to win much but I will have fun with them. smile.png

I don't know. I have hit rock bottom, now that ETL is over.

I still have 3 dreads, 12 Fenrisian Wolves, some Thunderwolf Cavs, dozens of marines, 3 Drop pods and 3 old metal Wulfen from the Collection I bought. All unpainted and unprimed.

The riders and regular marines would need quite some work to be up to regular standards of today, when it comes to equipment. (and godawful poses aswell)

Then there's a B@C Box unopened. And a Devestator Box. And a Thunderwolf Cavalry Box. And a Land Raider Crusader. And a Stormfang. And 4 Wulfen unpainted. And enough other stuff in Power Armor or Terminator Armor...

Oh and an Imperial Knight.

And buildings. And other terrain.

And a certain Fenrisian Inquisitor.

And a Custodes.

Then I have a handful of character models for a little fun game (and the first one with an actual story AND mission) with my friends, I plan.

One character for each of their "favorite" armies. (Anrakyr as the antagonist, for my roommate, who kidnapped all of them for his collection. A rambo-like heavily-equipped Ethereal for the Tau-Spammer. A skulltaking Black Templar. A Genestealer Cult Queen for my girlfriend. A Techno-Priest conversion for the Ad-Mech and Knights Newbie. The DW:Overkill Blood Angel for Sanguinius' Son.)

And Overkill Genestealers for my girlfriend. And then the whole Deathwatch Squad for style reasons.

And I would like to buy one or two boxes of Deathwatch - just for new bits to play with, not building any DW, unless there proves to be one essential enough to pair up with Space Wolves. But the combi-heavy-flamer/bolter and the Frag Cannon would look so damn cool...

And I thought about building a few Codex: Space Marine formations and painting them - so my Space Wolves get some reinforcements and I have a bigger pool to draw from, when it comes to tactics.

Even thought about painting them as something akin to Carcharodons (playing them with any of the available Chapter Tactics, depending on demand) - (almost) equally brutal and cunning to us Wolves, so we would probably get along well enough. Thanks to Robbie McNieven for that idea, btw!

I would give them a marine (as in: Sea, Ocean) touch (= not overdoing) and with them being grey they could stand in as Space Wolves, if needed, aswell.

So my backlog, while not as big as some of yours, isn't really small.

But I don't have much motivation to paint right now.

One thing is comparing myself to others and self-critique - but I guess all of us have that, when we wander through the Aett or the Forge, now and then. (Except for the demigods among us...)

And while I want to build cool squads and characters and devestators and the vehicles...

...I don't want to build something that will be out of date, sometime next year. It's too expensive for that.

And when I think about gaming... I loose all my faith in the emperor.

I would like to play something fluffy and 'balanced' and with a variety of units. Not cheese. Not Wolf-Spam, nor Superfriends.

...but against Tau, Necrons and Eldar?

Dreadnoughts? Regular power armor? Even Terminator armor? Nooooope.

And the teen in me, who collected everything from the LotR range he deemed cool, could afford and was able to paint, just screams "Screw that! We'll just build and paint what's cool to us! Don't care about playing! Kit them out with power harpoons! Give the bolterguys shields! Learn to magnetize and then laugh rules and meta changes right in the face! Tattoo all of the helmless ones and give EVERYONE viking or maori markings on their armor! Splatter "Blood for the Blood God" over the melee-rookies! Make that Land Raider the most frightening sight of the 41st Millenium! Yea, make a Sigurd/Siegfried the Dragonslayer out of the Imperial Knight, why shouldn't he have his chainblade as a bayonett under his cannon?! Assemble the most ferocious troops!"

And that voice is getting louder...

So maybe I have to take a time out with the (Overkill) Deathwatch... ...or I give in to the Madness, the Rage, the Wolf.

May the Emperor light my way...

Very nicely done TMH... They look really good.

Lambs minatures?

RikuEru.. I put your idea to the council and it is being mulled over, logistics may be the hard part...

Hobby burn out is a very real thing and it sounds like you are about to hit "the wall"

Take a step back and do a few fun projects... Plan out what you want to work on next, then do it once you feel a bit more recharged.

Oh and build them as you want, make them cool... there is a magic word you can use... Proxy :)

Very nicely done TMH... They look really good.

Lambs minatures?

RikuEru.. I put your idea to the council and it is being mulled over, logistics may be the hard part...

Hobby burn out is a very real thing and it sounds like you are about to hit "the wall"

Take a step back and do a few fun projects... Plan out what you want to work on next, then do it once you feel a bit more recharged.

Oh and build them as you want, make them cool... there is a magic word you can use... Proxy :)

"Proxy"...such a dirty word...use something like... "pretend" it seems more innocent lol

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/untitled.png

Thank you so much Captain Semper for a fun event.

And a big thank you to all the Wolves participants for making this a great year for our forum

Congratulations to you all for making this the best ETL so far :) 

I am proud of all of you and proud to be one of the Wolves, you guys & gals have made this such a fun event.

I hope you all felt the same and will look forward to next years event.

We certainly have seen some up's & downs with 2 births and some sad family losses.

We came into the ETL with around 50% of new starts and my experience from my first ETL was that I felt woefully under-prepared. This year we as a pack recognised this and we as Wolves decided to remedy that issue for the Claws.

We all did our best to try and make the Claws welcome and to help prepare them for what was ahead. We also realised that we had a number of veterans who may have been in a similar situation to the Claws, so it was important to let them know that they are just as important too.

We also tried to inject some team work along with the fun element which is part & parcel of the ETL.

I would like to say that:

It was not down to one person, but it was a team effort and there were quite a few working behind the scenes to ensure things went smoother than previous years.

So to them I would like to say a big thank you.

We often rely so much on our mods, often without realising it. and it is a big ask for us to expect them to hold each forum together in the ETL and run the forums etc. They are here to enjoy themselves too.

A forum does not win because of one individual. A forum wins when it pulls together as one.

So as a challenge for next year, volunteer to help out, work alongside your mods, you see something which you think is not right or needs improving, do not leave it to the mods. Step up and with mod permission, help out.

Nurture the cubs and keep pushing and growing as a pack.

But most of all have fun

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/Team....jpg

Finally we can say:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/6f69b07ebfeb5e5ca2d42a7b8f98592f.jpg

Thank you Semper for organising all this. Outstanding work. smile.png

And thank you Dantay, for leading from the fore in true Fenrisian style and keeping us motivated! cool.png

Well done one and all for our best effort to date. Chaos may have won this day, but we can rest easy knowing we made them bloody well work for it!!

And thank you to all for making it such a fun experience and i, for one, look forward to next year!. biggrin.png

Cheers,

Graymane

I'm very happy with that result. I take my hat off to one and all who took part. It's been fun and close to the edge all the way.

So who's up for next year? :p

Yes, Glory to the Sons of Russ, Skywarriors of Fenris!

I'm insanely proud that we rallied this much.

Third place people! THIRD!

And that after a really bumpy road, with hot weather, bad personal events, births and deaths, behind us.

And we broke all our Forum records to boot!

The highest glory, the biggest barrel of mjod and a fine piece of meat should go to our humble brother dantay.

While he isn't the only one who keeps an eye on us Wolves, he definitely was the one to lead us, push us, motivate us, reinforce us, inform us and praise us.

You kept us informed and shared inspirations and ideas, you collected a PLETHORA of guides which we can draw from in the yeara to come and stayed in personal contact with us.

...all the while leading from the very front (carrying his personal luggage of stress and work all the while).

A very well deserved Forum Champion.

You truly are our champion. And I bow to you.

I, personally, am very proud to be among the heroes, alongside Sturm Moonwolf, SW1, Wolflord Kieran and dantay himself.

To stand on one level with them, wow...

But THANK YOU and Congratulations to all of you!

This year really showed how we as the Rout work together and have our backs.

There were, for me, quite some incredible works done for the ETL - and ALL of them showed character. They weren't any copy&paste marines among them, we showed heroes and legends and characters. Each squad equipped and decorated to their Wolf Lord's liking. (Screw the damned Codex! See what they got from following their book...)

I am especially proud to see that all of us struggled, but bit our own asses in the end, to get the job done.

I am proud to be a Space Wolf.

This was only my first ETL. It won't be my last...

Outstanding, brothers!

dantay - you are true Wolf Lord, a bit insane, but mighty, brave and lucky ;)

Captain Semper - thanks for organisation, get on my knee for the amount of paperwork... Only Emperor knows how much it cost you.

Fenris hjolda!

Well met Brothers,

a fine day to be of the Rout, a mighty feat indeed.

Congratulations and thanks to one and all of the pack, outstanding performances all around, too much awesome to start mentioning single feats of Glory!

Tankards at the ready, Mjod and Wolfwhizz all aroundmsn-wink.gif .

We have proven once and for good, there's enough Wolves to get the job done, enough said.

"Fenrys Hjoldá!"

Ooh errr..... hope it was nothing too serious bud.

I did almost go down the micron pen route but figured if I was ever gonna beat it I'd be best jumping straight in and doing it in paint lol.

As for old paint pots if it weren't for them I'd never be able to paint anything, its the brush trembling that gives me grief and there's not much I can do about that other than carry on and adapt - it's almost like learning to paint again at times lol.

I do have a few pics I will upload later on tonight once my rowdy pack of Bloodclaws have crashed out.

I find resting your hands on the edge of your desk/painting tabke etc helps with the shakes. Got me through this years ETL after I consumed waaay too much coffee and didnt sleep for two days.

I'm very happy with that result. I take my hat off to one and all who took part. It's been fun and close to the edge all the way.

So who's up for next year? :p

already have 1000+ to pledge next year :-)

Good to hear. :tu:

I've got the combined might of 2 B@C and enough sprues of the regular SW kit to do a 50:50 mix of kits. Not sure the points value but it's going to number more models than I did this year!!!

I've notified the wife no diy plans for next ETL season. Having to do that bathroom almost scuppered things.

Well done brothers, a truely magnificent achievement. I still can't believe we got third place. We are a single Chapter from one army and still can pull this off. When you consider the HH faction consists of both loyalist and traitor legions and we got roughly half their totals, it means we are actually the second largest group this year. So well done indeed.

To all our brothers who were unable to reach the deadline, keep pushing on, get your vows finished and post them up here. The Rout still needs strengthening and all our sworn brothers will be needed as the WolfTime draws near.

And again a heartfelt thanks to the Capt. for all the time and effort.

Archived