To Recover the Past... [OW/DW] IC Thread

The blackshield, from his position at the rear of the team, is the last member to see the diverging tunnels. He too listens intently for the sound of the rock striking solid ground. The sharp, metallic report, combined with the clarity of the noise, immediately settles his opinion on the tunnels origins.

Man-made.

A well worn axiom borrowed from old earth but the meaning holds true. The plunging cavern seems to have been created by more than just natural weathering. If it was created by sentient beings it must serve a purpose. He can only guess as to what that purpose may be. Still, the challenge of descending a sheer cliff possibly a few kilometers deep is still a rather large problem.

The blackshield listens to his team member's words, flinching slightly at the mention of witch sight. The pain is negligible and he recovers almost instantaneously. And the Iron Snake is right, Some form of Tyranid more than likely inhabits the other paths. His gauntlet instinctively flexes around the hilt of the chainsword sheathed between his back and power unit.

Soon.

For the time being he maintains a watchful vigil towards the teams rear, waiting for the next order.

• 2 weeks later...

"That might be an idea brother Gallan, but I wouldn't risk it right away especially since you would be the only one capable of such a descent."

"At this juncture, I recommend highly against splitting up the Squad; we have no idea where these tunnels lead and to split up would be to make us more vulnerable to whatever might lurk in these caves."

• 2 weeks later...

So, left it is then.

As the Kill-team heads down the passageway, they spend the next two hours meandering through a veritable maze, with fissures, canyons, and other myriad cave structures making up the area. After heading along for nearly another half hour, they enter a massive chamber, filled with more flora and fauna of the jungle from above. Indeed, the open chamber overhead seems to have been a rather ancient cave-in, and the growth in the area should lead one to consider that the area is growing from the rubble and dirt that once made up the topside of the cave-in area.

What does the Kill-Team want to do here?

To look around, I will need Awareness tests, to note a few things. Degrees of success matter.

There is the chittering of some sort of insect inside the area, a rather new form of life that had not been so noticeable in the past on this world.

And then there's the fact that a definite presence can be felt in the area; something lurks, but what is it?

Awareness Test: Awareness Test: 1#1d100 94 http://orokos.com/roll/454488 

Apollus doesn't notice anything outside of the Ordinary from his position at the rear of the group but the feeling of being followed is one no space marine dismisses and scans the area from side to side with his Stalker Bolter up.

"You feel it too, Brothers? Something knows we're here...beware Brothers."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As the kill-team heads into the forested underground cavern, there's a few bushes that move; as only one of you successfully made the roll, and if anyone wants to reroll due to fate points, I'll give you this chance to do so. The moving bushes are not explained yet, although there are sounds of some sort of high pitched calls, vaguely sentient, perhaps...?

As stated, rerolls if anyone wants to spend a fate point to try again on the roll.

This will determine how things proceed from here; I assume for now that fate points will be recovered when declared, or when the mission ends, whichever comes first.

Very well then, time to proceed.

I'll give the one of you that was able to succeed the chance to do something; in the meantime, there appears to be a game of tag/tig or whatever each world in the Imperium calls the game of tag, as we know it, OOC, occurring right now. The only real problem is, there's no way there are any human children on this world, especially after all this time.

So, question to all of you: what is the squad going to do in this situation?

You appear to not have been noticed yet, although the longer the party lingers the higher the chance becomes to be discovered.

• 2 weeks later...

"Tag, you're it!"

"No, I just got you!"

"No you didn't!"

"Yes I did!"

"What are they Brothers?" 

His teammate's question snaps the Blackshield out of his reverie. Watching the children had brought back memories from a different time in his life. From a different life entirely.

Turning to face the team, he quickly answers the question with battle sign, giving the signal for Eldar. A couple seconds pass before he gives a second signal, a flat palm placed against his thigh turned towards the ground: small. Hopefully the team will understand his message and not assume he means a small force.

Would it matter?

They are children.

They are alien. You've killed plenty.

It is not my decision. Their fate lies with the witch.

The Iron Snake nods once.

Understood.

And responds in kind:

I - Hang Back.

Heavy Weaponry - Noise - Movement.

I - Look Out - Runners - Takedown.

Regroup - Clear.

The Blackshield being the first one to have brought the attention of the xenos to them, the Iron Snake follows his route with his Stalker Bolter looking out for the Xenos children he failed to notice and to make sure none of them escape this encounter.

(Everyone, please give me five Stealth and Weapon Skill rolls.)

(I'm not typing this out fully, just that, "Horrors ensue..." And them moving on from there.)

(If any rolls are not made, then there's the very real chance that someone might hear something, and I don't need to say who, so, I hope the rolls fall where they may.)

Stealth: 1#1d100 57 vs Agi 38 + 30 (for Cameleoline) - 10 (Power Armour Histories) = 57 vs 58 for 0 DoS.

Since Apollus is standing back to shoot any potential runners with an inaudible Stalker Shot, I guess I'll substitute my Weapon Skill roll with a Ballistic Skill roll if it comes to it unless there is 1 child for each of us.

Shoot a Child/Other:

Ballistic Skill: 1#1d100 50 vs BS 64 + 10 (Half-Aim) + 10 (Accurate) = 50 vs 84 for 3 DoS (+1d10 Dmg due to accurate)

Damage: 4#1d10 1 3 3 8 Due to Tearing only keeping the 8 and one 3 = 8 + 3 + 9 = 20 Damage Pen 4

Stab a Child:

Weapon Skill: 1#1d100 23 vs WS 41 = 23 vs 41 for 1 DoS

Apollus goes about his duty of cleansing the Galaxy and this planet of future Eldar.

• 3 weeks later...

As the slaughter of the Eldar children begins, being quiet, swift and deadly, there is a subtle stress building up in the area. After all the Eldar children are dead, slain by the Kill-Team, a few moments pass, as if in silent mourning at the loss of life.

As the wildlife in the area return to their normal routine, two things become clear: one, there were Eldar overseers of the children, and two, there is a Deathwatch Space Marine within one of the chrysalis gems in the area. This Astartes, previously unnoticed, may have been here for some time, or nearly none at all. It's hard to tell, however, what with the lack of sound, several female sounding Eldar voices begin asking louder and louder questions, it sounds like, of the area that their children previously existed and played within, until very recently.

(Every Kill-Team member gains Enemy: Eldar. I hope none of you ever planned on having the Eldar actually aid you in any way, shape or form...)

There is a very easy chance to relocated and move the chrysalis that holds the other, new Space Marine; it's on some sort of well maintained grav propulsion plate, allowing it to be moved, along with him, very quietly. There are no outward signs of foul play by the Eldar, however, as stated, several female voices indicate other Eldar may be nearby...

Archived