Scions/Stormtroopers Start Collecting Box

Courtesy of SunsetNemesis from the N&R:

militemp.jpg

I don't need to reiterate my dislike for the plastic commissar but even ignoring him it looks like a pretty good deal. I can't quite make it out, but £50? Looks like a nice way to start or bolster a Stormie force! I'm tempted... and the special formation that allows you to recover losses sounds cool. Not sure how it'll work though, I'm assuming a chance for the odd trooper to stand up again or something rather than entire squads? How the 11 models are supposed to work with a transport that only carries 10 is perhaps another question :P

Any other comrades interested? Especially if you raid it from an online reseller for further savings ;)

Yeah I'm in, need some more tauroxes and the only reason I don't have scions in my force is the cost of £21 for 5 guys so this looks like a box full of win to me :)

Well Warriorfish

my first IG project will be the 1st New Mannheim Strikers which will be my best of the best. 

You are right this start collecting is too good a deal not to take. 

I just need to find a suitable female commander.

Hell I might be able to pledge a little to IG this ETL

Sounds like you've already got your lore planned out, I look forward to you adding your WIP to our collection in the barracks thumbsup.gif For a female commander you'd only need a head really, as the carapace armour is unisex in appearance. If you wanted her to visually stand out a little more as a woman perhaps a little shortening of height and width? Otherwise perhaps a commissar as your leader might open up simpler avenues as there are female commissar models around?

I am sorely tempted by this deal, but I have plenty of projects to work on at the moment. I also have my plans for future work that I don't want to have to change (again)... I will see how things look after the ETL I think smile.png

arcadian female heads 290

If you haven't already Arkley I'd check out Vic Minis female range - there's some helmeted and bare heads - as well as some dress cap one's - plus a whole load of bits - arms torso's etc to help you customise your commander - scale wise these work well with the IG cadians so i'd imagine they'd work with the scions too.

Damn it if only these came out 6 months earlier when I was expanding my scion and taroux....

This is the most tempting kit for me so far...

I can always do with another 10 scions I guess and I still think the Base taroux is a great vehicle

Although I could use a missile taroux prime...

Hard decisions..

This formation seems different feom the rest. If is is Scions (rather than Astra Militarum) then it has 2 hq choices, a troop, and a transport. How useful the formation is all depends on if it permits you to just deep strike them.

Was wanting more Scions for Deathwatch Overkill and finally will be able to get my hands on a Taurox! Just need wheels instead of the treads...

The formation is floating around FB.  Not sure if it's ok to post the pic here.

"...Each time a Hellrain Brigade's unit of Militarum Tempestus Scions is completely destroyed, you can - if its Commisar is alive - immediately place a new unit into Ongoing Reserves that is identical to the unit that was destroyed (in terms of the number of models, weapons and upgrades).  Reinforcement units arrive from Deep Strike Reserve and count as being part of the same Formation."

Courtesy of shocker3800

Found this floating around

dR5vVQJ.jpg

Better than I thought it was going to be, just a matter of hiding the cheap Commissar (in the Prime, maybe) and then dropping in tooled up Scion squads to do the most damage in the riskiest of gambits - rinse and repeat* msn-wink.gif I think I might have gone from "tempted" to "buying"!

* rinsing in opponent's tears optional, but recommended.

!!!

There's no better way to take them now!

And given its a formation and not an allied detachment (despite it being the same unit requirement as one) it will fit nicely with any guard detachment

Had a bit of a think and I reckon this is a GREAT formation. I think we can all agree the bees knees of the Militarum Tempestus is the Command Squads. In a CAD you need 2 troops and can have two command, so 50/50 split.

This formation is the same, albeit 'half the size' (win!) - IF you're already taking Tauroxes. What's the cost? 25 points worth of cold-hearted, steely eyed discipline with a peaked cap.
It's a minimum of 260 points for the entire thing, but you will want some upgrades. Sourcing enough special weapons could pose an issue...

I'll take five please.

The way I reckon I'd kit them out is thus (spoiler) for 375 points. Multiply by 4 for a cheeky 1500 flat, and otherwise scaling fairly well.

Commissar, bolt pistol

Command, 4 plasma

5 Scions, 2 melta

Taurox, camo, autocannons, missiles

Indeed, this is a great way to include some Stormies for Guard. The commissar is a tax, true but if you don't spend any points on him not such an awful one - his job is to survive after all ;) A small Scion squad to arrive and slag something as Emicus suggests is great.

If the rule extended to the Command Squad too it'd be crazy good! The Prime will be good to scoot about, I'd keep that cheap I think too - maybe for the Command Squad to use?

Had a bit of a think and I reckon this is a GREAT formation. I think we can all agree the bees knees of the Militarum Tempestus is the Command Squads. In a CAD you need 2 troops and can have two command, so 50/50 split.

This formation is the same, albeit 'half the size' (win!) - IF you're already taking Tauroxes. What's the cost? 25 points worth of cold-hearted, steely eyed discipline with a peaked cap.

It's a minimum of 260 points for the entire thing, but you will want some upgrades. Sourcing enough special weapons could pose an issue...

I'll take five please.

The way I reckon I'd kit them out is thus (spoiler) for 375 points. Multiply by 4 for a cheeky 1500 flat, and otherwise scaling fairly well.

Commissar, bolt pistol

Command, 4 plasma

5 Scions, 2 melta

Taurox, camo, autocannons, missiles

You read my mind ;)

And you don't have to worry about it being a point sink as they're recyclable except for the commissar which from memories theirs is an IC so he can hide in a chimera elsewhere

The formation requires the Taurox Prime, it's taken as a separate entry. So the two scion units can both take a dedicated transport if they like, it's part of their upgrades after all!

​Ahhh.. grab a Valkyrie to fly the Commissar around with and keep him alive...

Archived