Scions/Stormtroopers Start Collecting Box

Really depends on how you deploy them. If you play in-your-face levels of aggression, you will force their attention, especially if psychic powers and/or orders buff them. You also have the option to charge.

The opponent has the option to cripple them and have you charge him or maybe even kill the unit, or ignore them and tank serious firepower in return. It is a no-win scenario. The only issue is the footprint when deep striking.

I agree 5 man units is the way to go. Easy to kill, still gets their two special weapons and easier to DS. A shame you are only allowed one squad. The formation would be better if it only had one HQ and two storm trooper squads instead of two HQs and one squad.

I still see the Taurox as nothing more than armor for the commissar maybe providing some minor fire support from the backfield. Not a huge fan of the Winnebago but it isn't game killing for me. Like I said somewhere else, Ill just fluffwise call it a cav vehicle with a commo guy supporting my forward observers further out in the field. With them out there I don't expect this thing to be targeted first turn anyway.  

DftS reinforcements sounds interesting...If I found ten points somewhere (not hard...give one command squad two meltas and two plasmas instead of four plasmas), I'd be able to fit in a pair of thunderbolts...they're not in DftS, but I anticipate IA:A to be brought up to DftS standards soon, adding the missing pursuit and agility values. That would really be nice, DftS will likely encourage people to have fliers, if only to minimize reserves shenanigans inflicted on them...providing prey for the Tbolts biggrin.png

...I've talked about getting a pair of Tbolts for about five years...it may finally be time!

They'd make very good forward spotters for the IG artillery formation.

This guy knows what's up.

So...throw them out there to melta stuff, start raining steel, and if the enemy won't kill my men off so they respawn, scatter dice will? ohmy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Take all the scions you want, if the enemy refuses to kill them just bring Karamazov and do it yourself through liberal use of orbital strikes with no scatter.

I'll be trying this idea out in a 3k game in a few days but it should be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the formation rules for this are really something. I have everything I need to do this formation, and it could be a real doozy. Having reinforcements, makes it really nice, since I can just run 8 man suicide squads and keep deep striking them, since I'd just plunk the commissar in a backfield squad and keep him alive.

What's wrong with five man squads? Cheaper to get, smaller foot print and faster to recycle msn-wink.gif

Nothing. You certainly make a good point. However, 8 men can put out a huge volume of fire, especially if you get them in range of the CS, for the sniper order, they can put a lot of hurt on that monstrous creature you need dead. Then they die horribly to massed counter fire. 8 men would get you at least 5 hotshot sniper shots, plus 2-4 plas/melta shots and a probably very dead MC. Tyranids and tau would both cry at this. Then they die when the opponent returns fire to get them out of his lines, and then you recycle the unit. 5 guys might recycle faster, but 8 guys could probably get more damage done. It's all going to hinge on what you want the unit to accomplish. 5 guys could be a good distraction, to turn an advance, or score an objective.

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's been a few weeks, but I just had an idea on how to run this formation. Hide the Commissar in a rear area command squad, like in a Battlegroup command with a master of ordnance in a chimera. Then Use the MTCS for a reserved deep strike, as a support unit, plasma'd out for killing potential. Use the taurox prime to get the scion squad to the fight faster. Don't be afraid to lose the command squad or the taurox prime, as long as the commissar is alive you have unlimited scions, and let's be honest that's the main reason to take this formation.

I intend to get a 3 more commmissars (old metal ones) a few more Kasrkin (to make command squads) and another taurox prime, so I can have 3 of these formations, full up, in metal. This has the potential to be my new favorite formation for MT, and would get me to use their rules a bit more.

Archived