Scions/Stormtroopers Start Collecting Box

Quick question, is a dedicated transport as an option to a squad considered an option to a squad, if I'm reason correctly can't you get a taurox back free as well if your unit dies? It states to put he unit back into reserves with the exact model count and upgrades

Never mind just saw identical to the unit destroyed

All the units are separate entries/ requirements

So the taroux isn't a DE for scoring purposes I guess it would just be a FA

Interestingly the formation let's the taroux DS too haha

I meant if you took a taurox as an upgrade to the tempest squad (i.e. So you would have two in the formation, it lists a unit of scions so you should be able to take a dedicated transport with it)

But I think it's moot since it's not the destroyed unit

I meant if you took a taurox as an upgrade to the tempest squad (i.e. So you would have two in the formation, it lists a unit of scions so you should be able to take a dedicated transport with it)

But I think it's moot since it's not the destroyed unit

Well, the Commissar may be a tax, but when you consider that he will replentish your Scion dudes ad inifinitum, then I think he will easily make up for it.

I wonder, 5 men or 10?

Based on the FAQs thus far and the latest Space Wolves I would hazard a guess that you could have a unit of up to 10 Scions but they wouldn't let you take a DT for either unit

Apparently the formations are supposed to be highly restrictive which means when we get the IG one it's unlikely they will let you take priests, commissars or psykers to those abomination of formations. Alternatively they could errata them and go the other wa5

All the units are separate entries/ requirements

So the taroux isn't a DE for scoring purposes I guess it would just be a FA

Interestingly the formation let's the taroux DS too haha

Oops I misread... it would appear only the scion squad and none of the others including CCS is the only one to recycle. Still 90pt recycling suicide melta squad is nice. Might even throw a plasma pistol on them too if they just keep coming back.

I reckon that yes, the suicide unit may take a Taurox, but no - the Taurox will not be recycled.

well it is considered an addition unit in the squad like adding an attack bike to a squad of bikes or a land speeder to a squad of bikes so i dont see where the disconnect is.

rather the issue is that if they buy a transport they can no longer deepstrike much like how the deathwing terminators cant in their formations , or if they elect to start the game disembarked already then the taurox/land raider remains on the bench permanently and is removed as a casualty of war at the end of the game

I reckon that yes, the suicide unit may take a Taurox, but no - the Taurox will not be recycled.

well it is considered an addition unit in the squad like adding an attack bike to a squad of bikes or a land speeder to a squad of bikes so i dont see where the disconnect is.

rather the issue is that if they buy a transport they can no longer deepstrike much like how the deathwing terminators cant in their formations , or if they elect to start the game disembarked already then the taurox/land raider remains on the bench permanently and is removed as a casualty of war at the end of the game

It's not being taken as a DT. It's an entirely different unit, which is part of the same formation.

I was wondering about a 10 man squad too, my gaming group is very Marine heavy at the moment so a squad of 10 spitting out plasma/melta and lots of AP3 could be something they'd be forced to deal with. However that's a greater risk when Deep Striking back in and also would take longer to respawn, as it were.

So to get the most from the rule a small, dangerous unit would be best to threaten the most and incur more backlash so I think best to go with that at least to start with. A couple of meltas would be nice and relatively cheap, and you could also slag and charge if you're keen to die quicker :P

Larger squads are better at leveraging psychic buffs. For Tempestus, especially from the Divination tree.

Prescience + Sniper Order.

Twin-Linked and Rending.

As a screening unit with a 4++.

As Ignores Cover shooting.

As more rifles for full BS Overwatch and bodies for Counterattack.

Tactically, it's great for hard-to-reach objectives. Useful to bait Interceptor shooting. If you've got deepstriking ICs, you can recycle their retinue. Suicidal charges are going to be fun. Maybe it's finally worth buying Plasma Pistols, too.

Using the Commissar is going to be a bit novel, though. Usually he's pushing pencils back at the Regiment :P

It's not being taken as a DT. It's an entirely different unit, which is part of the same formation.

​I am aware that the formation Taurox is a separate unit.

​BUT WHAT IF the Scion unit took a Taurox as a DT?

​Can they do it? Would it recycle?

​They can take any upgrade available to them after all.

Are they allowed to re-enter from reserves by deep strike? Still trying to work this into my elysians. The formation taurox just lets me have something else on the board turn one as armor for the commie. Not being able to come in by deep strike would effectively make this one a no for me.

They re-enter from Ongoing Reserves, there's no choice in the matter so they must Deep Strike. However this is fine I think, as Deep Striking means they can immediately re-enter wherever you want to inflict the most damage and get stuck right in, and Ongoing Reserves means you don't have to roll :)

I had been thinking of the dual-melta suicide squad...but you'd have to spam these formations to make it work.  Otherwise, there'd be a high risk of having the two melta guns picked out and then you spend a turn or three trying to get the other guys killed so they'll respawn...and worse, what if they break from 25% casualties and take three turns running back towards your board edge?  So my thought would be four self-twinlinking quad-plas command squads, four missile/autocannon/cammo netting trucks, and four WoN dual-melta five man squads...oh, and the four commies, of course.  That'd be pretty mean...sixteen twinlinked plasma guns deepstriking to gut the enemy's premiere infantry units and then mop up some light vehicles...and four recyclable suicide melta squads.  Sweet!

/edit/  With four naked 25 point commies, it comes to exactly 1500 points.  Wonder what I'd do with the remaining 350...

​I am aware that the formation Taurox is a separate unit.

​BUT WHAT IF the Scion unit took a Taurox as a DT?

​Can they do it? Would it recycle?

​They can take any upgrade available to them after all.

It would not. A DT is not part of the unit. Killing a rhino, but not the squad inside will still give first blood, and Coteaz by the faq can blast both a drop pod and it's crew. Ergo, different units, doesn't recycle.

Archived